Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New SU Company?

Anyone know anything about Stampin Up's new venture, Apostrophe S? Not sure I understood the explanation in this story. Couldn't tell if the kits will have stamps or how this would differ from My Paper Pumpkin.

Stampin' Up! to launch new company called Apostrophe S | Scrapbook UpdateScrapbook Update

Maybe a demo could shed some light???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I gathered, it will be a 'kit subscription', like My Paper Pumpkin, but the 'kits' will not be paper products but rather other 'crafty kits'. At least that's how I understood the video. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Kits...bought in advance and brought to a get-together to assemble with friends.
No SU demo may become involved, even if they drop.
No multi-level rewards plan like SU.
Run by Shelli's daughter Sara, while she also works for SU.

Sounds like a whole new type of venture into many types of crafts...one that draws today's 20-something who has never even been interested in "crafts" in this tech-savvy world into something that she can try with no initial investment in all those tools and everything that we all have to have. Then if she finds something she likes, she'll have a new view of "crafts" and can pursue her interests, with paper-crafting as one option.

Sounds like fun! I can totally see some of those young college grads with no money to speak of getting into something like this.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgrammaView Post
From what I gathered, it will be a 'kit subscription', like My Paper Pumpkin, but the 'kits' will not be paper products but rather other 'crafty kits'. At least that's how I understood the video. HTH
Not a subscription, just individual kits bought as part of a party (all guests do not necessarily buy the same kit) then the friends get together and make their projects on the party date.

Also, they specifically said that some kits may not even have stamps at all. They mentioned leather and glass in the video announcing it to SU! Demos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Painting

Painting parties are the thing now with the younger crowd I work with, so this might be something they would enjoy too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 02:00 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie/MOView Post
Painting parties are the thing now with the younger crowd I work with, so this might be something they would enjoy too.
Really? What is a painting party? Everyone paints a small pic?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 03:42 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Painting parties are big in bars in San Diego. You pay anywhere from $40 to $80 and get all the materials needed to CASE a masterwork. Drinks included. Some galleries and art instruction places are adding them, too.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 05:04 AM   #8  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we have actual store fronts that are a painting party business. Someone gets a group together and you all go paint the same picture, drink wine, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 05:21 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I feel older and older by the day!! LOL

Sounds like fun. I've heard of the make your own pottery places but never paint party places.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 05:45 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Here is an example in my area. I've been wanting to go!

Paint and Sip | Bottle and Bottega
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Really? What is a painting party? Everyone paints a small pic?

Currently the term 'painting party' to me, means friends coming over to help paint my house. That is where my head is at right now!

Cool new concept, this Apostrophe S. Sounds like SU is moving forward. It won't be my deal but I think it sounds really interesting for others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

If SU is targeting the "Makers," as the article says, they are missing the mark. We are a "maker" family, and this isn't what the whole movement (for lack of a better word) is all about. They might have success with the younger crowd, but I think this is going to fall short of the Maker target. I wish SU luck, though. They might find an audience that they haven't even thought of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Sounds interesting, but I can't make a better judgement until. I see what products they're talking about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post

thanks for the link. this does look like fun, depending on how much it costs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

What I found interesting is that each person picks their own kit so not everyone at the party has to make the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Paint and Sip? LOL, I would have some interesting artwork after that! Still, if we can get young people interested in crafting maybe they will find something that will make them want to stay with it. But I didn't have the distractions of smart phones, the Internet, gaming, etc. I picked up a crochet hook at 19 and learned from a book while sitting on my parent's sofa. Today? I would be on a smart phone and not have the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I went to a painting party. Well, I guess an art party. We used charcoal, then another picture we used chalk and I don't remember if we did a third picture. We also had a mini art lesson and wine. I'd go again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I'm the minority who considers this a disservice to SU! demos. While I don't have a problem with the concept-it can't hurt!-it's bothersome that the demos who have worked hard are seeing a new and exciting product being intentionally kept away from them, as opposed to giving their demos a chance to make even more money with this 'new, exciting' product. I joined SU! as a demo, but merely as a hobbyist. The discount is virtually negligible, even as a person who has never sold to anyone but herself!! I can't imagine anyone trying to make a real living off of it. I know there are successful people, but MSM's are profitable for the people at the beginning who realize the only way to make money is to build a downline whose strength is in recruiting, moreso than in sales. To spend SU! time and money (which they ARE...the backing from this is coming from or being leveraged by SU!) developing a new product (testing, marketing, development, etc.) and intentionally keeping it from demos is incomprehensible to me. At the end of the day, I'll stay as a hobbyist and continue to purchase the paper and ink I like and I'm fine. But I don't think it's good news for demos and I found the video announcement maudlin and condescending. But HEY!!! Just my opinion. I mean no offense to any of the demos. If I offended anyone at SU!...well...I'm pretty sure they'll get over it. ;)

I am a:
Proud Fan Club Member
PROUD Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni 

And because everybody else has one and I HATE being left out, here's my blog papercraftgoddess.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartermrcView Post
Paint and Sip? LOL, I would have some interesting artwork after that! ....
I was wondering how well paint and would alcohol mix. Given my current (lack of) painting abilities, if I were to add wine, I'd have reeeeaaaaaaly abstract paintings.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #20  

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post

I clicked on your link and was excited to see that a Paint and Sip is coming soon to Fort Wayne! We currently have Wine and Canvas (which I have wanted to do for a long time!) but this looks fun too! Thanks for sharing!

As for the new business, I don't really consider it to be a new SU! business. They have said it has nothing to do with stamping, and it will be completely separate, other than the fact that Sara will continue to work for both. I don't really mind not being able to sell SU! and Apostrophe S. They said that that could change in the future, and by then I would hope they would have all of the wrinkles ironed out, so I see that more as a service than a disservice! I can understand why someone would be unhappy about not being able to be a part of it from the beginning. It just doesn't really bother me as I have a hard enough time trying to run one business, and mine is a measly little business! lol

I'm excited to see what they will be offering though! I love crafty projects of all kinds! I kind of see it as being like a Pinterest project in a box. Cool stuff to make, except I don't have to drive all over looking for the supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by 329shanaView Post
I kind of see it as being like a Pinterest project in a box. Cool stuff to make, except I don't have to drive all over looking for the supplies!
I think this is why they are trying this venture - Pinterest is giving tons of people the idea that they can make all sorts of things. Why not put all the ingredients for a Pinterest project in a box, have a bunch of friends over, sip some wine (okay, a lot of wine) and make something neat?

Quote:

Twenty-somethings have short attention spans. I don't see this taking off in swinging Big Cities. Like the knitting craze, it'll fade away with young women as fast as it arrived, despite a wealth of luxurious yarns. There are already several young-ish SU demos in the area where I live and none of them are doing anything.
I think you are right about the short attention spans, but I disagree about this not taking off. I think because of the very nature of the short attention span, something like this would be even more appealing. New/different project each month (most likely using vastly different "ingredients" each time), no storing of supplies, chance to get together once a month to chat & drink under the cover of "making crafts".....I think this is a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
I think this is why they are trying this venture - Pinterest is giving tons of people the idea that they can make all sorts of things. Why not put all the ingredients for a Pinterest project in a box, have a bunch of friends over, sip some wine (okay, a lot of wine) and make something neat?

I think you are right about the short attention spans, but I disagree about this not taking off. I think because of the very nature of the short attention span, something like this would be even more appealing. New/different project each month (most likely using vastly different "ingredients" each time), no storing of supplies, chance to get together once a month to chat & drink under the cover of "making crafts".....I think this is a great idea!
So basically, it's Bunko without the dice. ;) Sign me up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
I was wondering how well paint and would alcohol mix. Given my current (lack of) painting abilities, if I were to add wine, I'd have reeeeaaaaaaly abstract paintings.
Dea
LOL, maybe that would explain Picasso.
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

If SU (or whoever) does not explain this any better than they explain Paper Pumpkin, I can't see anyone committing to it. I have never found a place online that describes exactly what one would get with PP, like other suppliers of monthly kits take great pains to display.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
If SU (or whoever) does not explain this any better than they explain Paper Pumpkin, I can't see anyone committing to it. I have never found a place online that describes exactly what one would get with PP, like other suppliers of monthly kits take great pains to display.
You can see examples of previous Paper Pumpkin kits online through Pinterest, the SU blog, your demonstrator, etc. Unlike some kits that show you the kit in advance, this one is a surprise. Each month you get something different - cards, mini-albums, gift bags, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

My guess is that they are looking for younger demonstrators to sell to younger customers. I'm a former demo, and I think that the average age of an SU demo could be higher than what they are looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 03:15 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by 329shanaView Post
I clicked on your link and was excited to see that a Paint and Sip is coming soon to Fort Wayne! We currently have [URL="https://www.wineandcanvas.com/fort-wayne-in.html"]
As for the new business, I don't really consider it to be a new SU! business. They have said it has nothing to do with stamping, and it will be completely separate, other than the fact that Sara will continue to work for both.
Getting back to what Salome00 was saying .. it seems a bit unfair that demos can't work for both. And they weren't given the option to .. no one can drop and start with 's if they wanted to.

Last edited by Metalcharm; 04-08-2014 at 03:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm just curious to see how the whole "home party" thing will work out. Seems like they pretty much went by the wayside several years ago. Most of the home party plans have all faded away. But then I don't have a smart phone so I'm pretty much out of the loop anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #29  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
I'm just curious to see how the whole "home party" thing will work out. Seems like they pretty much went by the wayside several years ago. Most of the home party plans have all faded away. But then I don't have a smart phone so I'm pretty much out of the loop anyway.
I think that's the idea of this ... Less of a home party and more of a party at my home. Think Pinterest party. Everybody brings a project, and they create together, but not the same thing. So the party is about being together, and not about selling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by salome000View Post
I guess I'm the minority who considers this a disservice to SU! demos. While I don't have a problem with the concept-it can't hurt!-it's bothersome that the demos who have worked hard are seeing a new and exciting product being intentionally kept away from them, as opposed to giving their demos a chance to make even more money with this 'new, exciting' product. I joined SU! as a demo, but merely as a hobbyist. The discount is virtually negligible, even as a person who has never sold to anyone but herself!! I can't imagine anyone trying to make a real living off of it. I know there are successful people, but MSM's are profitable for the people at the beginning who realize the only way to make money is to build a downline whose strength is in recruiting, moreso than in sales. To spend SU! time and money (which they ARE...the backing from this is coming from or being leveraged by SU!) developing a new product (testing, marketing, development, etc.) and intentionally keeping it from demos is incomprehensible to me. At the end of the day, I'll stay as a hobbyist and continue to purchase the paper and ink I like and I'm fine. But I don't think it's good news for demos and I found the video announcement maudlin and condescending. But HEY!!! Just my opinion. I mean no offense to any of the demos. If I offended anyone at SU!...well...I'm pretty sure they'll get over it.
No offense on my part. I'm not a big demonstrator as far as downline or sales, but I have managed to pay for all my toys and the travel I have done doing this, so it's possible to do something other than be a big business demo other than just buying for yourself.

As far as what you feel about Apostrophe S, I could see this, IF this new venture was going to be multilevel. It's not. There will not be the opportunity to build a large downline, it will be only sales-oriented. The only advantage to getting in early to a direct sales company is to build that downline. This will not be like that, it's only for sales. You wouldn't get anything out of recruiting anyone, there is no commission paid on downline sales like there is in any other multilevel marketing company.

Personally, I think it's more of an experiment than anything (which is what they said it was). It's a way of test marketing new products in new markets with a new format, some of which we maybe will see appear at some point in the SU! line, but without committing catalog space to them. Frankly, I'm thrilled they are doing this without my feeling like I have to get involved (because I can't! Yay!) I don't want any more additions to the SU! product line that will not produce anything but an investment of my time and money to learn how to use them and demonstrate them and then not be able to sell them. I am also happy that they can continue to try to concentrate on what SU! does best, which is papercrafts. I have fabric, vinyl, and jewelry from previous attempts to expand into alternate product lines, and I really don't want to go there again unless I know it's worth it.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
thanks for the link. this does look like fun, depending on how much it costs.
I clicked on the franchise opportunity and they require $50,000.00 in liquid case and net worth of $150,000.00. You can definitely count me out, although I wouldn't mind going to one of the parties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh, I meant how much it would cost to go to a party to make stuff, not actually own a franchise. but fascinating anyway! thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I think it looks really cool. I am not in my twenties either. I didn't have a short attention span in my twenties. In my forties I do, lol. I think I might do this. I will have to see more about it. I have friends who want to craft but they are not crafty. They have the Pinterest envy. They come to my home and they are like "Outta here, so overwhelmed at what you do." I can tell they just want to try crafting without the pressure of feeling like they have to be at my level. I think it would be fun to do something like this. I have been toying with the idea of hosting Pinterest parties at my home.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 04:22 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks for addtl' info BUT...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
No offense on my part. I'm not a big demonstrator as far as downline or sales, but I have managed to pay for all my toys and the travel I have done doing this, so it's possible to do something other than be a big business demo other than just buying for yourself.

As far as what you feel about Apostrophe S, I could see this, IF this new venture was going to be multilevel. It's not. There will not be the opportunity to build a large downline, it will be only sales-oriented. The only advantage to getting in early to a direct sales company is to build that downline. This will not be like that, it's only for sales. You wouldn't get anything out of recruiting anyone, there is no commission paid on downline sales like there is in any other multilevel marketing company.

Personally, I think it's more of an experiment than anything (which is what they said it was). It's a way of test marketing new products in new markets with a new format, some of which we maybe will see appear at some point in the SU! line, but without committing catalog space to them. Frankly, I'm thrilled they are doing this without my feeling like I have to get involved (because I can't! Yay!) I don't want any more additions to the SU! product line that will not produce anything but an investment of my time and money to learn how to use them and demonstrate them and then not be able to sell them. I am also happy that they can continue to try to concentrate on what SU! does best, which is papercrafts. I have fabric, vinyl, and jewelry from previous attempts to expand into alternate product lines, and I really don't want to go there again unless I know it's worth it.

Over 20 years ago, I began meeting SU! reps, when I was big into Creative Memories. Having lived in Tampa, Minneapolis, Memphis, Indianapolis and Raleigh during those two decades, I've met many people involved with SU!: significantly more than Creative Memories. Not one of those people were able to fund trips or travel, and most got out at a loss. Congrats on being successful. But I would be willing to bet money that you-and those who are making actual profits-are outnumbered 3-1 by those who lose money. It's the actuality of any MLM.

"In 2005, Dr Jon Taylor of the Consumer Awareness Institute did an evaluation of the compensation systems of some 150 MLMs and concluded that only three � Avon, Pampered Chef, and Stampin' Up � rewarded retailing over recruiting. When I checked that list again in 2009, the total MLMs evaluated had grown to over 250, and only Pampered Chef passed Taylor's compensation structure test, and even then that one was rated as only marginally better than the rest."

I bring this up because, ever since their layoffs of 2009, the company has not fully rebounded. The fact they're still in business is deserving of a pat on the back for exceptional management...period. I certainly wouldn't be part of anything...even as a hobbyist....if it weren't. It's also no secret that the main reason SU! continues to feel the pressure is due to their not jumping on the mixed media bandwagon fast enough and allowing Tim Holtz to become a household name.

On a lighter note, my husband tells everyone that I have another man in my life and his name is Tim. HAH! He's right, of course.

I'm not criticizing SU! for its lack of becoming a MM powerhouse...keeping your inventory tight is smart. There's also room for SU! to regain and remain successful for a long time to come, by sticking to their niche' and continuing to produce the quality they're known for. But at this time, with a company not fully recovered, I find the launching of a 'risky, trial product' is the antithesis of what SU! is known for and could impact the SU! brand and business. I don't care to argue if it will or will not be popular...my original statement of jeopardizing a company in which many have invested a lot, without even asking, in such a high-risk area, isn't good business on any level.

I understand that you, personally, may not care what the company does or mind that new products won't be available for you to sell. But we can't speak for everyone. All I'm doing is sharing my opinion on the matter, and why I think it's a bad idea at this time.

In closing, I DO wish SU! success. If I didn't really like the company, I wouldn't bother with being a hobbyist. There's a lot of other comparable stamps, ink and paper out there-some even better than SU!. But SU! DOES offer me a chance to buy as a hobbyist and I know their name is one of value. But I will NOT be a Stampin Up Stepford who marches in step with their press releases.

Thanks for your response. One of the great things about these forums is that we can have civilized discussion and appreciate we may have different opinions. Have an awesome and VERY blessed day....ALL OF YOU! MWAAAH!

I am a:
Proud Fan Club Member
PROUD Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni 

And because everybody else has one and I HATE being left out, here's my blog papercraftgoddess.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by salome000View Post
Over 20 years ago, I began meeting SU! reps, when I was big into Creative Memories. Having lived in Tampa, Minneapolis, Memphis, Indianapolis and Raleigh during those two decades, I've met many people involved with SU!: significantly more than Creative Memories. Not one of those people were able to fund trips or travel, and most got out at a loss. Congrats on being successful. But I would be willing to bet money that you-and those who are making actual profits-are outnumbered 3-1 by those who lose money. It's the actuality of any MLM.

"In 2005, Dr Jon Taylor of the Consumer Awareness Institute did an evaluation of the compensation systems of some 150 MLMs and concluded that only three � Avon, Pampered Chef, and Stampin' Up � rewarded retailing over recruiting. When I checked that list again in 2009, the total MLMs evaluated had grown to over 250, and only Pampered Chef passed Taylor's compensation structure test, and even then that one was rated as only marginally better than the rest."

I bring this up because, ever since their layoffs of 2009, the company has not fully rebounded. The fact they're still in business is deserving of a pat on the back for exceptional management...period. I certainly wouldn't be part of anything...even as a hobbyist....if it weren't. It's also no secret that the main reason SU! continues to feel the pressure is due to their not jumping on the mixed media bandwagon fast enough and allowing Tim Holtz to become a household name.

On a lighter note, my husband tells everyone that I have another man in my life and his name is Tim. HAH! He's right, of course.

I'm not criticizing SU! for its lack of becoming a MM powerhouse...keeping your inventory tight is smart. There's also room for SU! to regain and remain successful for a long time to come, by sticking to their niche' and continuing to produce the quality they're known for. But at this time, with a company not fully recovered, I find the launching of a 'risky, trial product' is the antithesis of what SU! is known for and could impact the SU! brand and business. I don't care to argue if it will or will not be popular...my original statement of jeopardizing a company in which many have invested a lot, without even asking, in such a high-risk area, isn't good business on any level.

I understand that you, personally, may not care what the company does or mind that new products won't be available for you to sell. But we can't speak for everyone. All I'm doing is sharing my opinion on the matter, and why I think it's a bad idea at this time.

In closing, I DO wish SU! success. If I didn't really like the company, I wouldn't bother with being a hobbyist. There's a lot of other comparable stamps, ink and paper out there-some even better than SU!. But SU! DOES offer me a chance to buy as a hobbyist and I know their name is one of value. But I will NOT be a Stampin Up Stepford who marches in step with their press releases.

Thanks for your response. One of the great things about these forums is that we can have civilized discussion and appreciate we may have different opinions. Have an awesome and VERY blessed day....ALL OF YOU! MWAAAH!
I agree that direct sales can be a losing proposition, but many times you get out of it what you put in. People who are willing to put themselves out there, asking people to buy, join, host, are generally the ones that do the best. The rest of us...We don't want to be PUSHY. Or we're just lazy (count me in!) LOL! Or we just have a limited vision for what we want to get out of this, whether it's just getting a discount, or like me, buying new stamps without having to touch the household budget. When I first joined, I really worked it, and I did quite well. Then life happened...I had two cancer surgeries, the economy in Michigan tanked, my husband got ill and went on disability, and I cut back on the time I could spend doing this. If it didn't pay, though, I would have gotten out a long time ago. I think about quitting quite often, but usually I just give it another quarter, and something always changes to keep me going.

I've been a demo for 11 years. I have met many of the more successful demonstrators. I admire them. I wish I could do what they do, but I know that it is my fault, not the company's fault. I just am not willing to put in the time and effort, not willing to get on the phone and call trying to set up parties, not willing to spend my psychic energy. Maybe at some point...but not right now. Too darned busy working to put my daughter through college. One thing I like about SU! is the fact that I can do what I like with my business. There is no requirement to hold a certain amount of parties each year. I do most of my business online these days, which works great for me. Other people find their face-to-face business suits them. Other people only buy for themselves, and that works too.

One of the reasons SU! is doing so well is that it is debt-free. They have never borrowed money, and when they needed to, they cut back to keep from having to borrow. Quite unusual in this day and age. As far as not being recovered, Stampin' Up! just announced they are expanding to Japan. A company on a bad footing doesn't expand. Shelli has spoken about how well the company has done this year, and if they had not, they would not be expanding.

I'm not a SU! Stepford demo. I find a lot to admire in the company. I wish they had not tried to be a vinyl company or a jewelry company, but I do think they in general make good decisions. They certainly know how to cut their losses when something doesn't work out as they expected. Every company makes mistakes, it's how well SU! handles theirs that makes me stick around.

I don't know if the new company is a good venture or not. I'm just glad I don't have to feel like I need to invest in any of it's products, like I felt I had to have SOME vinyl and SOME jewelry and SOME fabric, just so I could show my face-to-face customers what those products were like.

I, too, am happy for a forum where we can agree to disagree.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #36  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

I also wanted to add that most of what I have gotten out of being a demonstrator has not been money. I have made more friends this way than I ever have in my life, friends that have stuck with me, even after they stopped being customers or demonstrators. Good friends that I would not have met otherwise. Even if I had not ever made a dime, being a demonstrator is worth it just for that reason. Including many friends I have met through this very website.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

In my dreams I would love to start a company. The folks who own SU took their own $$ and started a business and I say more power to them. It is their money that they are investing in this new venture. They don't force anyone to sign up to be a demo or to buy anything. I had no idea what Apostrophe S meant because I was not aware that folks got together for parties to create after they bought. In some ways, this is brilliant idea as there is no pressure to buy at a party.

I so admire folks who take a risk. Like I said, in my dreams I take risks all the time. In real life not so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks like Papertrey Ink is launching a similar "kit" type product this month, so looks like SU is on top of this one.

Personally, I don't think it's for me. I'm not a "kit" kind of person, I like to create on my own, even with others. I can see the appeal, but something about it, for me, seems like...."cheating?", IYKWIM. LOL I'm that way even with pre-cut card blanks!
Reply With Quote Likes