Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-14-2007, 10:55 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Default new here...looking for support

I have a friend who sent me to this site..she said I would find lots of support.

I don't get much from my friends and family...they just don't get it, I guess...even the ones who I know buy and have done some things, don't get how much I enjoy it!

I thought my mom and sis would love it as much as me, but they don't

does your family stamp too? do they support you even if they don't?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:59 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by anders
I have a friend who sent me to this site..she said I would find lots of support.

I don't get much from my friends and family...they just don't get it, I guess...even the ones who I know buy and have done some things, don't get how much I enjoy it!

I have one sister that stamps, BUT she isn't as involved in it as I am.

I get excited when I share with others about stamping and creating with stamps.

And I have a couple of friends that I stamp with that Get Excited about stamping.

So if you are looking for support you have come to the right place.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:25 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

hello Anders! yes we are all here to enable each other lol. and I love that there are people like me! I love to stamp and make cards its so relaxing! I just started last summer and now I want to become a demo! I have gotton my 2 sisters into stamping so thats been fun. I know how you feel as my mom doesn't care about my stamping and when I asked if she would have a party just to get together and maybe get a few orders with her freinds she said she didn't think so. Its hard on me that my mom wouldn't saport me and I know her freinds make cards and do crafts. so thats hard too!

so ya have fun on this site! and hope to see more of you!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:44 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yup I have the same problem as you, my hubby puts up with it as I think he knows better than to disagree with me on this!!! this site is amazing and I have made so many new friends who have helped me out immensely be it getting me stuff from States and posting it to me or just offering advice or just pming each other asking how we are doing, it is just great, I love it.

I have to say as well that my cards have got so much better since I joined this site, I think so anyway, well you can tell how much I love it.

I don't have any friends in UK of my own age that are interested, they just don't care, but then I think we don't seem to have friends like you do in the states, mores the pity, perhaps that is why I love the US cause of all the close friendships people make. My mum passed when I was 24 (only 34 now!!) and I only started cardmaking just over a year ago now but I am sure she would have been happy that I had a great hobby, cause I never had one before. It sometimes seems to want to take over my whole life which can get a bit difficult, but I am sure that is the same for lots of us!!!

Take heart and hold in there, you will have a blast on this site. If you want to chat give me a pm (buzz!!! he he)

My blog - http://sillybirds.blogspot.com/
Old 02-15-2007, 01:48 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

hi and welcome everyone here is awesome wait until you discover the buy sell and trade section...i dont even close this window until i go to bed you will be hooked your first day..oh maybe ur first hour have fun clicking and seeing the millions of awesome creations...
Old 02-15-2007, 02:03 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hello and Welcome to SCS!

I know what you mean. While my mom does scrapbook, she isn't really into making cards, etc. And my MIL usually likes most of the stuff that I make, she just doesn't seem to "get it" or what I do with so much "stuff"!

DH is wonderful! He just kind of grins and bears it! I guess he knows better than to say anything.

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Old 02-15-2007, 03:29 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Welcome! I am sure you will find the support you need here -so many places (forums and galleries and blogs) to check out. Just ask DH -I for one spend way to much time - and that multiplied after I decided to get "into" the daily challenges. Have fun.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 02-15-2007, 05:27 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome, if you are looking for support, this is the most enabling place of all! No one I'm related to or close to stamps or does anything crafty at all. Most don't get it and ignore it, except for my hubby who is thrilled to have my energy focused on something other than my usual anxieties!!
Old 02-15-2007, 05:33 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by anders

My cousin and my Aunt both are stampers (one is a SU demo) but my mom doesn't get it at all. My DH is super-supportive as are my friends (they got me in to this mess! LOL).
You've come to the right spot for support!
Old 02-15-2007, 05:38 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

My sister just started stamping and has her own teeny gallery here (meanmama). Nobody else in my family stamps but my best friend has been stamping for years...along with having a miniature food business, doing polymer clay, etching glass, beading, etc...she is the crafting guru. Her attic is a treasure trove... WOW!

Welcome Anders! You will enjoy it here and we'll give you plenty of support.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:41 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

No one in my family does anything creative, but my sisters at least support me by telling me how great I am at doing it. I made them all 10 blank birthday cards etc. for Christmas so they could give them out....and my sisters insist on giving them to each other so they will stay in the family. Fortunately I have great friends (one is my demo) and we all love it. Take heart and stay here on Splitcoast. The site is great and you will have lots of support and some great enablers.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:18 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

NONE of my family stamp....and I have 9 kids, 2 parents, a MIL, etc. etc. This is a *great* site for info and support ~ I know I am sure glad I found it.

Welcome!!
Old 02-15-2007, 06:28 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Smile

just me! and my husband doesn't really mind- i'm a little (lucky) spoiled.

my sis likes to sew and she is great at it... says she has too much already invested to start stampng (and she does- her machine cost like $3000 it's one of those fancy schmancy ones) she has gone to a couple classes where everything is supplied and enjoyed it. my mom too has gone to a couple classes...

one of my friends turned me on to stamping a couple years ago... and now i'm hooked... so i went out to get a couple other people i know hooked as well.

and now we are all having fun.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Hello! My family supports my stamping habit. My husband likes the cards that I make and will request cards sometimes. My children are 8 and 5 and love to stamp with me. My mom & SIL stamp, but they are 7 hours away! We do talk about stamping a lot though. I have a few close friends that stamp and are out of town and have a few in town. You'll find many, many people here on SCS for stamping support!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a cousin who stamps, but she is not quite a into the hobby as I am, which is understandable, she is only 16 years old and has a whole teen life to live!!! But, although my family does not participate, they are all very complimentary and thankful when they recieve one of my projects. This year, for Christmas, many of them bought me supplies, which is a first!
Welcome to Splitcoast, you will have so much fun here and find plenty of support (even the kind that tells you that you need EVERYTHING out there that you could possibly buy)!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:39 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

My family doesn't stamp, but they enjoy the gifts I make them, or at least pretend to....no they like it...my niece recently asked me to make some cards for her daughter's school's silent auction...but asked me to simplify the design. oh well....but that's ok...she did ask and gave direction about what she wanted. I made rehersal dinner invites for my nephew, and I torment my family with scrapbook pages, and make them look at all my work...they respond appropriately.
I do have a very good friend who stamps and we do alot together when we have time. I periodically get a few women at church to play when they can. My husband is tolerant of the whole deal...the stuff is all over the house...but then he has a Civil War passion so we compete for storage space. I always ask him how he likes a card, its amazing how he can say, "it's really nice" and never take his eyes off the game on tv. He does ask for cards for his family. I stopped showing him all the cards I received in a swap and trying to get him to pick out the "best" one...(translated.....MINE) he knew he would be doomed.
do not dispair!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

It's just me usually stamping. Sometimes my mom expresses an interest in Scrapbooking and buys some stuff but it never gets put together. My best friend is the one that got me into stamping in the first place but she lives 4 hours away. Our newest thing is to have a Virtual Stamp Night once a week. We use Skype and have our cameras on and we both sit here and stamp. It's like we are sitting at the same table stamping. The only difference is that we can't share stuff and instead of showing her what I made, we look at the camera. We are such DORKS... but it is so much fun... and I have someone to "stamp" with! lol

Kristi
Old 02-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

No one in my family stamps. My mom loves everything I do tho, and gets excited when I make her anything, you know, being my mom and all. My friend got me hooked a couple of years ago, and at first my husband wasn't thrilled. But now he sees it's something I love and something I'm good at and it's relaxing...well, not for him when he sees how much I spend. But it makes me happy, and really, isn't that all that matters? I say yes! So, welcome anders and enjoy the fun & support!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:15 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

My kids like to stamp with me, if that counts! The rest of my family appreciates the cards and gifts but claim "they're not creative". I was lucky enough to lure my SIL into stamping when she married my brother, so it's nice to have someone to share supplies, stamps and ideas with.

Anders - you need to start uploading your creations to your gallery! Then you will get lots of support from this fun community. Also - a great way to "get to know" people is through the weekly challenges. That is under the Challenge forums - plus it really pushes your creativity too.

Welcome to our community!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

No one in my family stamps, though one cousin scraps and my mom scraps when she visits me (it's very social for her!). But most people in my family are artsy-craftsy in some way and appreciate hand-crafted stuff in general. I have a few friends who get together regularly to stamp and scrap, but none of them is as into it as I am.

Welcome to SCS--you'll find lots of support here!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I live 12 hours away from family friends. I hardly know anyone who stamps here. Maybe 2 people and I've lived her four years. I would LOVE for some stamping friends. I know how you feel. Dh completely supports my stamping, but I can't make him stamp with me. LOL! Its so much more fun sometimes to stamp with someone and have some company. Thats why I love splitcoast. Atleast I have friends here who I can talk to about stamping and are as addicted to it as me. lol!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:00 PM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Welcome Anders! You'll love this site! I don't have anyone close to me that stamps either. I only have 4 neighbors, because we live out in the boonies, and although they all stamp (guess who infected them) they are not really "into" it. I just want wallow in it KWIM? My family does like my cards but also are not "into" it, which is just as as they all live at least 400 miles away. I use to belong to a stamp club, and use to take classes all the time at Stampa Rosa but alas we've moved and Stampa Rosa closed down anyway.

My demo was in my stamping Club, and she holds classes all the time, but she is 400 miles away. She is marvelous tho, and sends me stuff all the time. I reward her by buying A LOT of stuff! LOL. She is the one that directed me to this sight and I am so grateful. If you have any questions just PM or post, you will get a huge amount of support!
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Old 02-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

hello- sometimes i feel alone in my world of stamping and scrapping but then i come to this site and look at all the ideas and read about people who are into it as much as i am, and start to feel much better. my hubby is pretty supportive, thankfully!!! and i am trying to get my mom into it....she is getting there. im not sure if my friends "get it"....what i mean is i dont have any girls that i can just pack up some stuff and go crop together. (sigh) My baby girl is only 19 months right now, but im hoping as she gets older....she gets into it too!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Anders,

Hello and welcome from TN. You will LOVE this place. So many wonderful people and all their creativity. I'm sure you will become a fellow SCS sister (that's what it feels like to me -- a sisterhood).

I'm very fortunate to have supportive family/friends. My sister is a Stampin' Up! demo. I stamp w/a couple of girls @ work, a couple of girls @ church (one a demo under sister), and I'm in a monthly group.

Our mother loves our cards/creations but never really got into it. But she attended a party the other day and says she wants to start making some cards on her own. YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, enjoy your stay here (and you will stay on here more than you stamp sometimes). You will meet wonderful people and learn LOTS of new stuff.

my gallery
my blog :
What Was I Inkin'?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Welcome - you will find so many enablers ... I mean supporters here!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

We're quite the supportive bunch. We all support each others habits very well. LOL! Welcome. It's a great resource for friendship and education!!
Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

.... if I keep spending money on stamps because of all the great ideas around here someone is going to have to support me all right ....
Old 02-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Welcome......and you will get tons of support here......you will love it here!! Ik now I sure do.

and btw.........I don't anyone can appreciate your work more than the SCS's here.......we are by far obsessed with stamping......and it makes us happy and feels good to be creating..

My dh does support me in this........he loves me stamping and enables me way too much! LOL
My dd stamps with me...she is 15 and homeschooled so we do it together lots......
but the rest of the family..............no they just don't get it!!!

that's ok.......
long as everyone here does! heheheheheh

Lori
Old 02-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #29  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have 3 sisters, 2 stamp. One does it a little and one makes cards for every B'day and anniversary (hire date) for the people in her dept (50+). That sister and I get together regularly to stamp and each of us have workshops so we can get our fix. We also have gone to the rubber stamp convention in Syracuse together. This next week we're going to a shoebox swap. We keep trying to pull in the other sisters- they appreciate our work-they just aren't as obsessed!

Oh yeah-the sister who doesn't stamp buys great B'day and Christmas presents-stamps she likes-so I will make cards for her!!!!
My Facebook Page
Old 02-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think a lot of us are in the same boat! I have sisters and sister-in-laws and a whole lot of nieces...but none of them are interested in stamping! They just have me do the stamping for them. I do have a lot of friends that are interested in stamping but are not interested in buying...so I just do a lot of stamp camps. Alot of my friends and customers prefer so they dont have to feel obligated to buy anything....but they end up buying any ways since I try to use stamp sets that they would be interested in buying. It takes time so dont give up..you're not alone!
Old 02-15-2007, 03:59 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Welcome!!
I kinda get the same thing form my faimly and friends. A couple are sorta into it, but not many!!! At least they don't make me feel like crap for doing something I fell in love with!! I love this site!! SCS been really helpful and there's alway's somebody to help with any question!!! It's a great place to hang out at!!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Welcome to the SCS Family. We're bound to become your new stampin' buddies!

When I first started stamping years ago my family (mother, siblings and in-laws) didn't really "get it". They thought it was just another crafty thing I was trying. Now, over 10 years later, one fo my two sisters is hooked, the other sister is hosting her first SU workshop next week, and my dad saves all of the cards and make and send to him. My sister-in-law, on the other still don't get it-too much time and effort, I guess.

Here, however, you'll always find friends who understand your passion and will enable to spend more money than you ever thought possible!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

My SIL stamps, and believe it or not, our stamp club is the only time we ever see each other on a regular basis. My sister buys SU stuff, but she's a scrapper, not really a card maker. I get lots of encouragement from people when I send them cards, but mostly I stamp alone! Thank goodness for SCS...

Old 02-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I have one daughter who stamps and scraps; my other daughter scraps. My three granddaughters are beginning to stamp a bit and seem to enjoy it. My son thinks we're all nuts!

Welcome to SCS - you'll enjoy it!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Anders,

I am nuts about stamping. My daughter-in-law get me started about 12
years ago. We have a great time when we are together which is about
once a month. My husband doesn't quite understand the excitement, but
he likes to look at my creations and gives me good feedback. He even makes
cards for me from the internet. Once he even stamped a card for me.
You will find lots of friends here at SCS. Glad you are aboard.

Pianolady 1026-Judy
Old 02-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

My mom passed away just before the stamping bug bit,I know she would have been as crazy about it as I am,that was about 10 years ago,I'm still going strong,my family is supportive and I now have started doing some craft sales,and it's too fun. I love this place as I feel like they all are as excited or as understanding as you need,it's just the best place.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #37  
Glitter Queen

welcome...my hubby supports me in my stamping(cheaper then therapy in the long run) and my daughters stamp with me(13 & 9)..other then that i am all alone here....i have people who enjoy getting my cards...but it always follows with this expresion"you must have too much time on your hands" i follow it with this one.."nope i just like to spoil my friends"...hope you find the support you need and yes im sure you will become addicted to this group...

angie
Old 02-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Angela_71 when they say I have so much spare time,I tell them I do this instead of sleep [true story sometimes] Yes it can be cheaper then therapy that everyone benifits from.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

Welcome..my sis n i both stamp..we love doing cards n sharing idea's. My friends n family love receiving the cards i make. My DH is very supportive, and he is always willing to help w/anything i need in the spare room where i craft..shelves, whatever. You will make a lot of friends here. They are all on your side.. So enjoy yourself here..it will be time well spent..except when your not spending time stamping!! that is..lol..Loves ya..Gail
Old 04-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #40  
Glitter Queen

As you can see from all of these posts there is lots of support here!

As a fellow 'craft addict' with extended family that doesn't always get it (I get lots of support from my kids and my husband actually works with me in our polymer clay business)... follow your bliss! The ones that don't get it are probably not that fun anyways!!!