Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-18-2004, 05:54 PM   #1
Embossing Fanatic

Default New and have a question about my first party

Hi My name is Amy. I just sighned up to be a demo.. and also to this site! I am so excited that i can bearly stand it. My upline is fantastic! I recieved my starter kit and ordered my first order! It will be here on friday. I had spent about 1000 dollars before deciding to sighn up and spend another 500. LOL I am nuts but it has been over a course of a year and a half. I have my first party in 2 weeks and am pumped. Still a little nervouse though. I was just wondering,since i had all the stamp pads, I am using thoughs instead of the dots as an incentive. I made up cute gift bags But what do i do for a hostest gift that will be better than that not too expencive and give her justice since she didnt need a catologe I felt like it ought to be real good and better than the same thing as an incentive gift. (stamp and stamp pad). Could i give her a gift certificate and how much would be appropriate if so. i dont know. I am doing two difrent christmas cards for her party with shapes and shadows with the snow flake and something with its snow time. I dont think she does much stamping so i could make her 20 christmas card set mabey. Its my first party so i am wanting to get bookings since i dont know anyone out of the subdivision so i want it to be good but not so i good i can not do it when someone saw it before and expect it. Well i rable but thanks for your help Amy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-18-2004, 06:38 PM   #2
Die Cut Diva

Congratulations on becoming a demo!

For the hostess you might want to give her the cards that you make as a demo. Then maybe make her a beaded pen and journal or stamp a candle for her...then wrap it up in a stamped bag, etc. You could give her free shipping, $5 off on her next order or maybe a pack of assorted CS and an ink pad.

Have fun at your first workshop!
Old 10-18-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
Crimping Master

Congratulations!

Speaking as a customer, if I saw my hostess getting lots of stuff as a hostess gift, I'd tend to expect the same thing and that can get pretty expensive in a hurry! 20 cards sounds like a LOT. Full size stamp pads sounds like a lot too.

About the catalog: My demo sells the catalogs for $10 and you get $5 off your first order of $25 or more. I understand that demos pay about $5 for the catalog, so if she doesn't need it, maybe you could give her a coupon for $5 off her first order of $25 or more. That way you lose income but at least the money doesn't come right out of your pocket the way it would if she ordered less than $25.

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2004, 07:53 PM   #4
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

$5 off your first order of $25 or more
That's actually a fantastic idea, because it encourages people to spend at least the $25. I also give my hostess a free catalog, and one of the incentive stamps that you can get from the SU demo website. BTW, you should probably post this same question on the demo only forum, may get more responses there
Old 10-18-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Congratulations and welcome!!

I like to make something special for my Hostesses, like a note pad holder and pen. I think it's fun to give them something I've made because it's something they can't just buy in the catalog.

But I also think that a coupon is a good idea, too.

I hope your class goes well!! Good luck!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:01 PM   #6
Hardware Hotshot

I am a fairly new demo as well (since April 2004), and at my first show I gave the Hostess an incentive stamp in a cute little stamped gable box along with free shipping on HER order. I found that the bookings I got off that workshop expected the same & that got awfully pricey since one hostess had a $350 order herself. Now I give a free catalog or stamp pad (if they already have a catalog) and I make a cute little cellophane gift bag filled with goodies tied with a nice wide organdy ribbon. I put 2 confetti cream blank cards (5 1/2 x 4 1/4) with confetti cream envelopes, the same with US white, 1 puzzle (the blank ones in the catalog), 1 sponge or dauber, and 4 brads. Everyone loves it. I've had more success with this gift than anything. I just make sure to present it at the end and say a special thank you to the Hostess while everyone is looking through the catalogs. I now save the incentive stamps for when someone books a show, then they get to choose one. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Amy
Old 10-18-2004, 09:31 PM   #7
SOS
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Free anything

It's been said before but I agree that stamp pads are just too much to give away. You say that you have extras, but if someone books from this show they will expect the same thing and so on so on. I always give my demo everything I make that night and 1 each of all the inspiration sheets I have.

But about giving an amount off or free shipping, I don't recommend it. Here's why. I have a customer appreciation card. for each $150 a customers buys from me they used to earn 15% off their next order. What that meant was I was making 5%. Now I give them 15% in free merchandise. I'm still only making about 5%, but I've also boosted my own sales. My customers still love it because it's free to them. My upline taught me to never give a percentage off, just give free merchandise.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/SOS
Making Memories One Stamp At A Time
Old 10-20-2004, 06:01 AM   #8
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Ok just curious since I am signing up in January to be a demo. How do you break down the amounts on your customer appreciation card. This sounds like a great idea. My demo now gives us a catalog, but I always have one so I get NOTHING else except any projects she demo's that day/night. This just sounds like I would order more if I had this so if I would want to everyone else would want to too
SCS member #735
Old 10-20-2004, 06:40 AM   #9
Matboard Maniac

Well this seems like a good time to ask what ya'll do at your workshops. I recently moved to Louisiana and moved this past Friday to a brand new house in a huge subdivision. Here's my chance to become a demo! When I lived in Oregon my demo always had us make three cards. She would have everything out, show us how to make each card and turn us loose. I watched the videos from my new demo on becoming a demo and notice they had everyone sitting down and walked away with just one little tag. Just curious what others do.

Thanks, Heidi
Old 10-20-2004, 06:51 AM   #10
SOS
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default HOstess Appreciation Card

If I had to do over again, I'm not sure if I would do it or not. I use the card as a door prize drawing as well as to gather information from them. Here is the information I keep on it. The problem is that it's just one more thing I have to do by keeping track of all this information. It wouldn't be so hard if I were more diligent about doing it right away. but sometimes i get so busy and then it piles up etc.

I do believe that our customers would like to get free stuff once in a while because I know i do and that is why I offer this. I think it has helped me retain some customers and I like being able to reward my loyal customers.

Like I said before, the 15% off I used to get really didn't help me at all, but by me giving them 15% in free merchandise (that they pick) it helps us both. Again, you must keep track of it for tax purposes as well.

I hope this helps.
Beverly

CUSTOMER APPRECIATION CARD
NAME: ____________________________________________
ADDRESS: _________________________________________
CITY: _____________________ STATE: _____ ZIP: ____________
PHONE: ________________EMAIL: _____________________________

Would you be interested in attending instructional classes in my home? YES NO
Are you interested in hosting a party or workshop at your home? YES NO
Do you want to be on my mailing list for SU and/or my special promotions? YES NO
Would you like more information regarding a career with Stampin’ Up!? YES NO

Back Side
I’m keeping track of your orders. As soon as you have reached $150 in purchases
(pre-tax/shipping merchandise), you will receive 15% in free merchandise on your
next order.
1st Order $_____________ 6th Order $____________________
2nd Order $____________ 7th Order $____________________
3rd Order $____________ 8th Order $____________________
4th Order $_____________ 9th Order $____________________
5th Order $_____________ 10th Order $___________________
Redeemed 15% ____________ Redeemed 15% ________________
Redeemed 15% ____________ Redeemed 15% _________________

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/SOS
Making Memories One Stamp At A Time
Old 10-20-2004, 06:56 AM   #11
Matboard Maniac

okay well i am going to chime in here...

i am doing my first show on saturday... YIKES.. i have been a demo since january mainly for hobby but some of my friends want me to do a show.

i am doing cello bags with a topper for my hostess.. in the bags i am putting a jumbo incentive stamp, some ribbon, 3 tags and hemp. I think its a nice gift and i would love to recv it.

I am doing a christmas card (holiday spirit) a birthday card (in full bloom) and a 2-4-6-8 box (poinsetta jumbo wheel) i hope everyone at the show will like them... i think they are pretty

i hope that helps
Old 10-20-2004, 06:57 AM   #12
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

It is a good idea. My demo had a 4-H stamp camp and came with her mom and ended up with almost 40 kids and 2 adults. Well our 4-H agent pitched in and I pitched in and for a thank you from her we got a certificate for 20% off our next order. Now if I just remember to use it before I become a demo
SCS member #735
Old 10-20-2004, 07:13 AM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

I hosted my own party last month and my demo gave me a stampin spot and my choice of one of those "handstamped by" stamps to use on the back of the card. She put them in one of the boxes sold in the catalog ( which she had decorated with a wheel) and also filled it with hershey's nuggets (which she wrapped with labels stamped with a wheel). I loved it and everyone else at the party was jealous!
Old 10-20-2004, 07:49 AM   #14
Stampin' Fool

Since everyone demos their shows differently, it's hard to say what works best. For me, I do a M&T one card, demo a cello bag w/topper, which I fill with an incentive stamp and some CS and a piece of ribbon or what have you, which I give to the hostess. Then we do another M&T. Since they are already getting 2 things to take home, I don't give away much else. I do do a door prize drawing, which the winner can select out of the basket a marble magnet, a decorated mini book, a beaded pen or a 4 pack of already made up cards with envelopes. I also find different people want different stuff - some people would rather receive a discount than some little gift, but giving a discount can be tricky. By giving $5 off an order of $25, you've just given away your discount. If you are offering the $5 off their first order of $25 or more to everyone, then you will have made no money at your party, because everyone will be placing their first order with you, since you are a new demo. If you wanted to give money off, make it $5 off your order of $50 or more. That way you will still make a little bit of money. As hard as it is to not be generous with your guests and hostess, you don't need to give away the farm. People will expect it at every party, and it could get expensive. Good luck at your party!! ~Pam
Old 10-20-2004, 08:19 AM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

I hosted my own party last month and my demo gave me a stampin spot and my choice of one of those "handstamped by" stamps to use on the back of the card. She put them in one of the boxes sold in the catalog ( which she had decorated with a wheel) and also filled it with hershey's nuggets (which she wrapped with labels stamped with a wheel). I loved it and everyone else at the party was jealous!
Old 10-22-2004, 02:33 PM   #16
Die Cut Diva

Giving those "hand stamped by" stamps as a hostess gift is a fantastic idea. My demo (and now upline) demonstrates how to cut and mount a stamp and then gives that one to the hostess as a gift. Everyone is watching how to mount the stamp anyway and so you've got their undivided attention to also explain the hostess reward program.

Katy C.

I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare,
.......and I dare a little more as I grow older.
-Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)
Old 10-28-2004, 07:38 PM   #17
Mad Swapper

I have been a demo for about 2 months. My only suggestion is that what ever you do you always need to let everyone know that the give away is only for a limited time.

This means that they need to take advantage of the offer today because it may not be available at the next WS they attend.

People are always understanding when they know that the specials change and that even if they didn't get the one that you did last month there will be a different one.

Melanie