Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #41
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by mof118View Post
I'm just curious why some of you prefer rubber to the photopolymer stamps...I'm OK with rubber but if I have a choice I get the photopolymer because it's SO much easier to line things up...and don't get me started on the "clear mount" SU stamps!!! Don't get why SU hasn't figured out a way to be sure the labels actually DO cling to the stamps?!? I have used them after trying various tips found here, but feel like I shouldn't have to mess with them- other companies make cling stamps that cling very well...with the labels on! OK, rant over
I have lots and lots and lots of stamps and have tried every type imaginable (rubber, photopolymer, acrylic, silicone, mounted, unmounted, foam mounted, been a rep for both Close to My Heart (photopolymer) and Stampin'Up!, blah blah blah) and prefer unmounted rubber for several reasons:
  • Significant difference in life expectancy - even the very best brands of photopolymer stored the very most carefully still show signs of wear and/or deterioration over time. They get softer and more likely to tear, among other things.
  • Unmounted takes up less space, so I can get more stamps in a smaller footprint
  • Rubber is less susceptible to "user error". Photopolymer or acrylic or silicone stamps are "squishier" than rubber, so the amount of pressure required to get a crisp image can vary widely. While this is still true to a point with rubber, it is significantly less so...
  • EVERY ink available works with rubber, while some inks are finicky and others don't work at all with photopolymer
While it is true that photopolymer is easier to "see" where you're stamping, a Stamp-a-ma-jig or MISTI is useful with rubber so you can do test runs (which I do with photopolymer, as well, just to be safe). That's just me answering your question for me - I'm sure others will have varying opinions, lol!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
berlycece and Dockside like this post.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #42
Glitter Guru

I love the different perceptions, and how there are several types of stamps to satisfy everyone - unless we fall in love with one that isn't made the way we prefer.

I've found photopolymer to be lighter weight and take up less room than rubber, and while I can't vouch for it, as per an instructor with decades of experience, early photopolymer and of course acrylic degrade; all she's seen happen to her photopolymer is staining, and being into mixed media doesn't care.

I was given a lot of old photopolymer and acrylic stamps and found they stiffened rather than became soft. Maybe storage affects them? (I completely avoid acrylic unless my brain is out to lunch, which has happened when I've fallen in love with a design.)

And I can't get past not seeing where I'm stamping. Which makes me wonder how much preference has to do with what we were originally taught with, and when we started stamping. So many stampers here have so much experience, decades sometimes, and as someone so much newer to stamping I "was raised" on photopolymer and the videos that feature them.

As they say, YMMV and happily so.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!