Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-28-2009, 05:09 AM   #241
Mad Swapper

I just feel bad because my demo is a good friend and I just can't justify spending all that extra on supplies when I know the prices are way out of wack with the US catty prices.

Oh, and by the way....still waiting to hear back from SU. I first posted on page one of this thread that I was emailing SU. Not great customer service or care if you ask me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:29 AM   #242
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzi333 View Post
Well, I got the same form letter back from SU as you the rest of you did. I think I will reply to it. As far as I know, tax structures have not changed in Canada, SU! is not a new business in Canada ad nauseum as per their letter.

I think Ill try responding to the letter they sent me.

Good luck to me. I don't think SU cares much about Canada.
I agree with your last statement. They do not care about Canadian customers.

I believe though it would be good to write back. I wrote them the last time about their prices when the Canadian dollar was at par and they replied with the "cost of doing business in Canada." When I asked what were the exact costs SU did not reply. I told them that maybe if Canadians knew we could lobby our gov't to have the reduced or eliminated (free trade).

I wonder what those costs really are. One thing I will concede is our wages might be higher. SU has employees in Calgary???
Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #243
Gabfest Goddess

yes dont they have a warehouse here???
Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #244
scrapperazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalsmiles View Post
yes dont they have a warehouse here???
no they dont, all of our stuff ships from the US.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #245
Full of Malarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewsin View Post

That makes the raising the prices to Canada even less understable. You got me.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #246
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzi333 View Post
That makes the raising the prices to Canada even less understable. You got me.
Ditto
Old 07-31-2009, 11:28 AM   #247
Matboard Maniac

Location: I SHOULD be living in Tornado Alley but I live in Edmonton, AB, Canada.

Well Ladies, I think I am going to sign up as a demo. My philosophy (in this case) is if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em. Perhaps they will listen to me more as a Demo(???).

Trust me, I am going to continue to fight the good fight for all Canadian customers!!! They have met their match!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #248
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathergirl View Post
Well Ladies, I think I am going to sign up as a demo. My philosophy (in this case) is if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em. Perhaps they will listen to me more as a Demo(???).

Trust me, I am going to continue to fight the good fight for all Canadian customers!!! They have met their match!!!
I enjoy being a demo - and hope you do too! Maybe I'll meet you sometime! Don't forget to apply for the Demo forums here on Splitcoast.

And ... if you do really like SU! stuff, then being a demo cuts at least part of the cost. And there are sometimes promotions available to us that are not available to the public.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #249
Rubber Obsessor

Default same letter

I too wrote to SU and I too got the same "form" letter. They don't give a hoot what Canadians think! Or give a hoot how many of us never go back! Maybe our Amercian friends should join our boycott! Whaddya think?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:21 PM   #250
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
See, I remember working for a Canadian company, an outlet store for a designer up there. We were never allowed to send merchandise back across the border because it cost too much in tariffs or whatever. It wasn't a matter of just shipping costs, per se. (And let me tell you, lol, it makes life difficult when you have a teeeeeeny tiny storage locker and a never-ending supply of clothing boxes arriving!)

As far as I'm concerned, most of this is a matter of fees imposed on Stampin Up by your government in some fashion or another that are resulting in higher prices to you guys. When you purchase from a US company doing business in the US, it's different than when you purchase from a US company doing business in Canada. For the former, there are no business taxes imposed by the Canadian government. Not so for the latter...I don't need to see their spreadsheets to believe SU that it simply costs them more to sell the identical merchandise.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ View Post
See, I remember working for a Canadian company, an outlet store for a designer up there. We were never allowed to send merchandise back across the border because it cost too much in tariffs or whatever. It wasn't a matter of just shipping costs, per se. (And let me tell you, lol, it makes life difficult when you have a teeeeeeny tiny storage locker and a never-ending supply of clothing boxes arriving!)

As far as I'm concerned, most of this is a matter of fees imposed on Stampin Up by your government in some fashion or another that are resulting in higher prices to you guys. When you purchase from a US company doing business in the US, it's different than when you purchase from a US company doing business in Canada. For the former, there are no business taxes imposed by the Canadian government. Not so for the latter...I don't need to see their spreadsheets to believe SU that it simply costs them more to sell the identical merchandise.
Doesn't the NAFTA agreement cover the merchandise that is manufactured in the US? So, the stamp sets at the very least shouldn't have huge tariffs ... still doesn't explain the ginormous price difference when our dollar is so very close in value. The rest of any cost of business have not changed, so the price increase is not understandable.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:22 PM   #252
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ View Post

I mean no disrespect to you. If SU charged higher for the stamps and supplies in the US they know that you (Americans) would stop paying for it. They are also aware of the economic downturn and know that you would stand up and cry foul. They would lose business plus it would be a public relations nightmare. So what do they do? Stick it to the nice, polite, do not raise a fuss Canadians.

My thought on this is they expected the Canadian dollar to fall further and thus that would explain the need for the higher prices. I wrote to SU to ask what were the specific costs of doing business across the border, SU did not answer me.

Yes Stampin Up pays corporate taxes but those taxes do not change that 'much in order for a stamp set to go up 23% !!!!! I am a University graduate and a former Government employee. I am just mad enough to research this topic (Tariffs and such) to prove a point.

We have beautiful water and health care and a awesome country we deserve fair treatment.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #253
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracey'sgirl View Post
I am just mad enough to research this topic (Tariffs and such) to prove a point.
My husband is doing the leg work on this as we speak. He called them (couldn't be bothered with fluffy email responses) and spoke to someone in the Utah location and is now waiting for a return call on Monday. He's raised some very interesting questions which we are looking into for answers around taxes and such. More to follow on his findings later next week.

I don't mean to be cryptic, but he's given me strict instruction to lay low on this here for the time being.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #254
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenchie View Post
My husband is doing the leg work on this as we speak. He called them (couldn't be bothered with fluffy email responses) and spoke to someone in the Utah location and is now waiting for a return call on Monday. He's raised some very interesting questions which we are looking into for answers around taxes and such. More to follow on his findings later next week.

I don't mean to be cryptic, but he's given me strict instruction to lay low on this here for the time being.
Thank you for letting us know. I will be very interested when the time is right.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:15 PM   #255
Matboard Maniac

Location: I SHOULD be living in Tornado Alley but I live in Edmonton, AB, Canada.

Quote:

Wow! That's one dedicated hubby- you're a very lucky woman! Can't wait to hear how this turns out!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:31 PM   #256

Wow, can't wait to hear what happens! Thanks Wenchie!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #257
Mad Swapper

Well, it may be interesting to find out the results of this research. However, I am more disturbed by the number of people that somehow figure that SU is in a great conspiracy or underhanded plot to charge Canadians way too much for their product. I just don't believe it. They are a company. They do business in several foreign (non-US I mean) countries. They have to follow the rules that those countries impose for doing business. I don't believe that SU has any interest in being unfair to their customers. SEtting prices for an upcoming year (and probably decisions having to be made much earlier, because of all the typesetting and printing for the catalogue, etc) means you can't easily fluctuate with changing monetary comparisons. Last year, they did a great thing for us when they lowered the prices. I didn't notice any of us Canadians screaming to have the prices go back up when the dollar started to change again in comparison to the American dollar, so for part of a year we got a really really good deal.
Anyway, I guess in the end it will come down to the individual buyer.
I still think that I'm doing fine with SU prices.
Recently I bought some sentiment stamps at Hobby Lobby. One from Inkadinkadoo was $7.99. One from Stampabilities was $3.99. It is somewhat similar in size and style to Sincere Salutations (8 stamps plus storage box, $31.95) $4 x 8 = $32, so these are very comparable in price. Shipping adds some cost to the SU stamps of course, but near where I live, I do not have the same variety and number of stamps available in the stores and my gas to get there would probably be more than the shipping !

Anyway, this is just one person's opinion, and you obviously hold a different opinion. Hurrah for freedom of thought and speech!
Old 07-31-2009, 11:15 PM   #258
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanislandwoman View Post
Well, it may be interesting to find out the results of this research. However, I am more disturbed by the number of people that somehow figure that SU is in a great conspiracy or underhanded plot to charge Canadians way too much for their product. I just don't believe it. They are a company. They do business in several foreign (non-US I mean) countries. They have to follow the rules that those countries impose for doing business. I don't believe that SU has any interest in being unfair to their customers. SEtting prices for an upcoming year (and probably decisions having to be made much earlier, because of all the typesetting and printing for the catalogue, etc) means you can't easily fluctuate with changing monetary comparisons. Last year, they did a great thing for us when they lowered the prices. I didn't notice any of us Canadians screaming to have the prices go back up when the dollar started to change again in comparison to the American dollar, so for part of a year we got a really really good deal.
Recently I bought some sentiment stamps at Hobby Lobby. One from Inkadinkadoo was $7.99. One from Stampabilities was $3.99. It is somewhat similar in size and style to Sincere Salutations (8 stamps plus storage box, $31.95) $4 x 8 = $32, so these are very comparable in price. Shipping adds some cost to the SU stamps of course, but near where I live, I do not have the same variety and number of stamps available in the stores and my gas to get there would probably be more than the shipping !

Anyway, this is just one person's opinion, and you obviously hold a different opinion. Hurrah for freedom of thought and speech!
I do not think it is a conspiracy.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:58 AM   #259
Full of Malarky

Quote:

Thanks a lot to you and your husband Wenchie. It sounds like you husband is very tax and business savvy. Can't wait until you can actully share the info.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #260
Full of Malarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanislandwoman View Post

I don't think it's a conspiracy either. SU just charges far above what they should in Canada, the UK and Australia, and seems to favour the US .

How else can one explain the huge jump in Canadian prices. I'd be delighted if SU just published on Catty in US dollar prices - and when I ordered I could get the going rate on the dollar.

There has not been any change in cost of doing business in Canada, corporate cost wise that I am aware of.

It's just SU taking advantage of us, as far as I can see. If they could state the actual cost of doing business in Canada, IF THAT WAS TRUE -and explain in actual , understandable, factual language why our prices had to go up - that would be one thing.

But so far all any of us has gotten is nonesense for answers. Gibberish meaningless letters.

That is disappointing.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #261
Full of Malarky

I've got a lot of LSS near me, plus there are dozens of sites on the web who I do business with. Lots of choice besides SU!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #262
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
As far as I know they have a facility in Calgary. I know for certain they have an office here - don't know if they have any sort of warehouse at the location. They might because the address is in an industrial area.
Attached Thumbnails
su-calgary.jpg  
Old 08-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #263
scrapperazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
As far as I know they have a facility in Calgary. I know for certain they have an office here - don't know if they have any sort of warehouse at the location. They might because the address is in an industrial area.
yes, they have an office in alberta but all of our stuff ships from Utah
Old 08-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #264
Full of Malarky

Well, I guess we've just all given up trying to reason with SU. Too bad!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #265
Rubber Obsessor

OK Here we go.

Because of the price increase I just lost my biggest customer. I understand. If I would not be a demo I would think twice before buying something.

It made me think.

Did you realised that it would cost the same for us to order our stuff from a US demo compared with SU. Even if we pay the US price and the shipping and duties it is less.

Let see. I looked at 1 stamp set which sells at 22.95$US and the same is 30.95$CAN

So the item which is 22.95$US converted in CAN$ comes to 24.62$CAN. The same item if after you remove our discount it would be 24.70$CAN so pratically the sane price. SO if would be cheaper for our customer to order their items from a US demo.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #266
Pearl-ExPert

As a Canadian demo, do you have to have a PST # and are you resposible for submitting the provincial tax monies to the province or does SU! do that?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #267

Quote:
As a Canadian demo, do you have to have a PST # and are you resposible for submitting the provincial tax monies to the province or does SU! do that?
SU! takes care of GST, PST, and any other 'ST' we have to pay ...
It's on the order form, customers pay us, we pay SU!, SU! pays it to the appropriate govt.

So we don't need a PST#.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:28 AM   #268
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballmom View Post
SU! takes care of GST, PST, and any other 'ST' we have to pay ...
It's on the order form, customers pay us, we pay SU!, SU! pays it to the appropriate govt.

So we don't need a PST#.
I feel for you all about the higher costs. I myself live in Wisconsin but I emailed about a month ago asking them to take a look at your prices.

I just learned a bit about Border Patrol policies and Duty Fees this week at work. We ship to Canada all the time but the fees are pre-calculated in the shipping cost that the cust pays. Well a customer received the wrong items and we shipped her the correct ones as a no-charge order. Border Patrol charged her 106.00 to get that package. The reason is the items were not made in the US - they were made in China. I then called and had to find out how they assess the charges as our items we shipped were not worth that much. They told me they go by the internet sites. And they use Ebay. I argued that they cannot use ebay as those prices are way off sometimes. I also found out they never looked at our website that had the items on there to begin with as we had them on sale.
Our company ships world wide and our prices are listed as US prices and we charge that same amount for all Canadian customers also.

Maybe SU has extra fees/taxes for being a direct selling company in Canada?
Old 08-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #269
Pearl-ExPert

My husband called SU! and they told him the only tax # they have is a GST tax number. Canadian based businesses are required to have a PST # as well. So I wonder how this is working.

When I was ordering from SU!, I didn't order anything but paper and stamps. I don't like the idea that I was paying hidden costs for products made outside of the US that I never purchased. That's like raising the prices for everyone to lower the prices for a few.