Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #81
Kookie Creator

wenchie your responses are awesome. i totally agree with you
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #82
Rubber Obsessor

I sent an e-mail on Monday morning... So I guess I will get the same response.

And as SU has stated in the generic repsonses, in nicer terms....

we have created this monster ourselves. we have been foolish enough and willing to pay the prices they are quoting us as evident "in the rapid and steady growth"

Sitting in my craft room, too frustrated to even finish my teacher thank you cards.

Is it too early for BAH HUMBUG!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #83
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Okay you guys I am just cracking up at some of your comments.

basketballmom: you are too funny, my big long rant and you highlight that Ikea is coming. I am still laughing over that.

Wenchie, whoa you rock. I think next election however, look out Hughie Mcfadyen with his what I assume will be "I will repay you your ticket money" acceptance speech.

The Dear Jennifer.....letter. That is my name too but I haven't received mine yet. I'll be sure to post it so we can all share the EXACT SAME WORDING.

Good save on their "secret?what secret comment? When in a corner blame the demonstrator? "
Old 06-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #84
Rubber Obsessor

Question Is PTI really cheaper than SU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1 View Post
I order alot of products from the US and I don't pay anywhere near the same price as I do with SU. I did a cost comparison of cardstock from SU and PTI and with the exchange, shipping and duty, PTI's cardstock works out to be $.03 less per sheet than SU, and this is before the price increase?
I am asking this as I am truly curious and in no way trying to put down PTI.....I would still like to try their cardstock to compare with other companies

Every time I put a package of paper into my cart the 21$ shipping just makes me abandon my cart time and time again. I then figured I would make the shipping count and order 2 packs and the shipping jumps to 23.80$. I also know that priority shipping has a 50/50 chance to being stopped for duties and processing fees so I would likely have to add 10$ CAD as I do when I order GinaK paper....

So if a 40 sheet pack of PTI stampers select is $6 + $21 ship = $27US= $31.06 CAD = 77 cents a sheet + possible duties

SU 40 sheet pack of whisper white is $9.95 (new price next week) + $9.95 ship +taxes = $22.89 CAD = 57 cents a sheet (SU is 20 cents cheaper)

If I up the order 2 packs of PTI to save on shipping, it comes to $12 + $23.80= $35.80 US = $41.20 CAD= 51 cents +high chance of duties as it's over 40$

SU 2 packs of whisper white= $19.90 + 9.95 ship+taxes = $34.33 = 43 cents a sheet....

PTI 3 packs= 41cents a sheet SU 3 pack=38 cents a sheet

I agree that the gap closes the more packs I order (assuming no duties), but SU still seems to come out cheaper ..how do you get the 3 cents less for PTI?

Am I making a mistake in my calculations? Hope so, as I can finally justify hitting the checkout button

TIA!
Terri
Old 06-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #85
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiejen View Post
Okay you guys I am just cracking up at some of your comments.

basketballmom: you are too funny, my big long rant and you highlight that Ikea is coming. I am still laughing over that.

Wenchie, whoa you rock. I think next election however, look out Hughie Mcfadyen with his what I assume will be "I will repay you your ticket money" acceptance speech.

The Dear Jennifer.....letter. That is my name too but I haven't received mine yet. I'll be sure to post it so we can all share the EXACT SAME WORDING.

Good save on their "secret?what secret comment? When in a corner blame the demonstrator? "
Well, I didn't think there was anything I could say ... glad I gave you a laugh ...
Old 06-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #86
Kookie Creator

Hey ladies... it's summer, and the living's easy, (and I've got a glass of wine beside my computer...)

I think that the general consensus is that people aren't happy with the price hike. I'm not happy with the price hike. We're not that far off of the prices in Fall 2007 (and yes, I checked), but it is what it is.

Take a deep breath, remind yourself that we all live in a democracy where we CAN express our opinion - both verbally and with our wallets, and then live by your decision. There's no point stressing over what we cannot change (at least at this point in time), and you have plenty of time to send your objections to SU! as the catty is now current until this time next year.

It's super warm here, and I for one am glad that summer has finally made an appearance! Oh, and that Ikea is only 45 minutes away from me.

Enjoy your summer!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #87
Swapper of the Month - February 2014

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenchie View Post
I'm not inclined to write to them myself, but if anyone wants to use my post in their letter, please go ahead and do so.
Hi Wenchie,
I TOTALLY agree with what U wrote and feel quite angry and dissatisfied with SU! `way of seeing things` lately and the difference in their treatment between us canadian vs, our fellow american stampers,reflected very much in new catty price $increase...
Perhaps a NEW thread ,right here on SCS could be started, using your wonderful comparison and ALL of us CONCERNED buyers would sign it with real name and last name and city of provenience (or just Province)
What do U think....THEN it can be sent to SU headquarters as a `Thinking Tool` for their consideration !!!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #88
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriboo View Post
Every time I put a package of paper into my cart the 21$ shipping just makes me abandon my cart time and time again. I then figured I would make the shipping count and order 2 packs and the shipping jumps to 23.80$. I also know that priority shipping has a 50/50 chance to being stopped for duties and processing fees so I would likely have to add 10$ CAD as I do when I order GinaK paper....
...Terri
Hi Terri,

Just a little comment about the duties... I've been told PTI's stamps and paper are made in the US. In that case you shouldn't get charged duty... I *think*... just PST/GST. I would put in special instructions to have PTI clearly mark on the package that the goods are made in the US. I have yet to order (cuz of shipping!!) so I haven't verified this. Anyone?

nina
Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #89
CBC Lady Violet

I have a "personal policy" when it comes to companies/businesses and my money. (This applies to all companies, btw, not just my papercraft obsession.) I vote with two things: 1)my words and 2) my wallet.
When I get good service, I write the store/company or both. I try to remember the person's name as well. When I get poor service/am dissastisfied with merchandise etc, I write the store/company. (I started doing this years ago after I got a bad haircut. Since the salon wasn't too far from work, I dropped in a couple days later to complain & see if they could fix it a bit. The manager asked me if I would PLEASE put my complaint in writing for her. Seems she had been getting many complaints, but most were via phone & company policy prevented her from taking any action unless she had a complaint in writing. So now, I write!) Most of the time, I don't get a response, but if I sent in a compliment, I always hope that it gets passed on to that worker & makes their day. Or maybe helps them earn a promotion. Hopefully, my complaint letters make it to the desk of someone who actually cares about customer satisfaction.
My wallet - well, that's kinda self-explanatory. Businesses who lose all their customers 'cause of bad service tend to go out of business don't they?
That said, SU has received letters from me in the past, and I think there is another one headed their way..........................
Old 06-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #90
scrapperazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis44 View Post
Hi Terri,

Just a little comment about the duties... I've been told PTI's stamps and paper are made in the US. In that case you shouldn't get charged duty... I *think*... just PST/GST. I would put in special instructions to have PTI clearly mark on the package that the goods are made in the US. I have yet to order (cuz of shipping!!) so I haven't verified this. Anyone?

nina
I got charged duty on my pti order. I admit though, I haven't ordered since their shipping went outrageous.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #91
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewsin View Post
I got charged duty on my pti order. I admit though, I haven't ordered since their shipping went outrageous.
Hi Jodi,
Wow, you did? I was under the impression that goods made in the US were duty-exempt, although we'd still get charged taxes & brokerage fees ($5 if thru USPS and then Canada Post).

At least with SU we don't get charged duty, but I have to say I'm disappointed along with everyone else that prices are going up.

nina
Old 06-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #92
scrapperazzi

Quote:
Hi Jodi,
Wow, you did? I was under the impression that goods made in the US were duty-exempt, although we'd still get charged taxes & brokerage fees ($5 if thru USPS and then Canada Post).

At least with SU we don't get charged duty, but I have to say I'm disappointed along with everyone else that prices are going up.

nina
Nina, I admit I am not sure if it "duty" per say but I know that what I am charged with SU! is what I am charged, I'm not having to pay extra when it arrives at my house, kwim? When I ordered from pti I did have to pay when it got to my house(not house but post office).
Old 06-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #93
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Hi Terri,

nina
Checked into it and if an item is made in the U.S. there is no duty payable - but there is the $5.00 Handling Fee plus gst on the Canadian value of the item.

"The Canadian prices are based not only on the exchange rate including Revenue Canada corporate income taxes, pricing and cost structure regulations etc., etc., that are considered in pricing."

Not defending SU - but because they have a "presence" in Canada (Cochrane, AB I think) they do have to pay Canadian Income Tax which we all know is much higher than US Income Taxes - so that might account for a SLIGHTLY higher price.

If prices in the Canadian Stampin' Up catalogue were listed in US Funds then they couldn't hide behind the currency exchange rates and use that as an excuse. But then that could be a hassle for Canadian Demos having earned US Funds. Really I'm not defending SU.

All I know is that there is a great company in the States that I order from (not stamping/craft related) which offers great deals on shipping and charges an extra $2.00 per order (not per item) to cover Brokerage Fees and the items are delivered by UPS, yes by UPS. How many of us have been gouged by UPS and their brokerage fees? And all it costs is $2.00 at the time of ordering!
Old 06-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #94
Matboard Maniac

Please don't flame me but if you look at the prices of CTMH the markup is about the same.

D size SOTM 22.95 USD
D size SOTM 28.95 CAN

Based on the exchange rate in an earlier post at.13 = $2.98 = 25.93.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #95
Pearl-ExPert

OK, so what can we pull out of this message that SU is sending out?

There's a lot of fluff in there that attempts to speak to the cost of sales and doing business in Canada.

1. The company works hard to establish fair and valued pricing, and in addition to the exchange rate, there are other business costs, including Revenue Canada corporate income taxes . . . .

This essentially implies that Corporate taxes have risen in the past year. Revenue Canada is not in the habit of raising corporate taxes from one year to the next. In fact, it's been several years since the last increase.

At any rate, Corporate taxes are a cost of doing business and in my view considered an overhead expense and not one that aught to be passed on to the consumer. And if it was, I sure wouldn't be telling my customers that's what I'm doing.

2. pricing and cost structure regulations for affiliated entities doing business across borders, that need to be and are considered in pricing.

What the heck does that mean REALLY? blah blah smoke blah blah mirrors. NAFTA here . . . hello!! No duties . . . just GST, which by the way we also pay again when WE purchase their product. Neat trick huh? Sounds like double dipping to me.

3. The company also must take into account sales volume in pricing its products to ensure it will be a value to customers during these initial years but still keep the company viable for the long term.

So, this means that by raising the dollar value we're to believe we're receiving greater value? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard! Doesn't quite compute. By the way, isn't "volume" pricing supposed to be cheaper? And, what's this "initial years" thing? It's not like SU is brand new and struggling to stay afloat. Haven't they been around for 20 years or more? If that's not viable, then I don't know what is.

4. The prices appropriately reflect the value of the products, including our exclusive artwork and designs, the quality of our products. Customers buying from our demonstrators get person-to-person training and long-term customer support-you need only call your demonstrator to get stamping or scrapbooking advice and ideas. Customers across Canada agree that our stamps are a good value, as shown by the rapid and steady growth of our sales

blah blah . . . yadda yadda . . . useless rhetoric. Nothing different than the US customers also have access to. Also, let's not forget that the demonstrators are not on the payroll here. They earn income based on sales. If they don't sell . . . they don't make money. However, the message implies that this is a cost of doing business that in turn gets passed on to us? hmmmm . . . let's kick the rented mule because I sure wouldn't kick my own.

5. As you are aware, the catalog is released on July 1. We are unsure as to what you are referring to when you say that the catalog is secret until that time. Demonstrators are now receiving the new catalog in the mail. They are free to show this to their customers if they would like.

Whatever . . . . it's a timing issue now. Of course the catalog is secret. Only because it's nearing release does their argument hold water.

6. Thank you again for your e-mail. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

ummmm perhaps they'd like to answer the REAL question about why CDN prices went up but not US? Notice how they completely ignored that? I can't imagine that the cost of doing business in Canada has risen but remained the same in the US?

7. Sincerely,

They sincerely want to think we're stupid idiots who can't think for ourselves or are not smart enough to stop and say "Hey! What the heck is happening here?" EH?!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #96
Kookie Creator

Sigh...

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a SU! demo...

This just makes me sad. Y'know? Who gets bit in the ***** because of the decisions of a big corporation? Yet again, it's the little guy (or girl, in this case). In all likelihood, it's not going to be SU! that truly suffers from the loss of business that this price hike may or may not generate... It will be the demo's. A lost customer here and there (Let's be honest... how many of us will completely walk away from their products?) may not make a huge impact to a big company, but I suspect that even 1 or 2 orders less per quarter would really add up for a demo with a smaller client-base. Especially when SU!'s quarterly minimums are so high to begin with!

I "sell" Beauticontrol (I don't really sell it, just use the products - the equivilent of a hobby demo, I guess), and their quarterly minimums are $100 + $14 shipping (a flat rate regardless of what you order) + taxes on your full retail order (different depending where you live). THEN you subtract whatever misc. sales they have on every month plus you also get a 30% discount on top of that from the cost of the retail products (which increases the more you order or the higher you get in your consultant status).

Don't worry, I am well aware that I'm comparing apples and oranges to some degree, although it's the same basic concept if you ask me. I also know that I don't know all of the demo details from SU!, but from what I do know, it seems to me that the demos are getting the short end of the stick here too, even though, in theory, I guess they should reach their minimums faster with higher prices...

I don't know... It just seems like the consumer is getting shafted every time we turn around to the point that we can't even truly do what we love without that bit of financial guilt over how much it costs... Unless you're better able to control your spending than I am, which, really, wouldn't be that hard!!

Deeeeep breath... and that is my rant for this evening!

(Along with a little celebratory dance because I officially finished writing all my report cards and all the special ed. programs today! WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!)

Angela

Angela a.k.a. PuppyDogGrins
Old 06-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #97
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Nina, I admit I am not sure if it "duty" per say but I know that what I am charged with SU! is what I am charged, I'm not having to pay extra when it arrives at my house, kwim? When I ordered from pti I did have to pay when it got to my house(not house but post office).
Thats exactly it Jodi,

Its really the gst + Canada Post handling fee. Sometimes its easier to call it duties for lack of a better word

I am more careful when I order from the US, as I see a pattern of what may get stopped and what almost always does.....

First Class under 40$ seems to get by with little problem....

First Class above 50$ has a higher chance but if it's small stuff like stamps it seems to pass ok (like Unity stamps in my case)

Anything over 3 lbs and above from the US has to go Priority and if it has a company stamp I know it ALWAYS gets stopped (like when I order Ginak paper and order over 50$ to get the $5.95 shipping) I know to expect to pay 10$ more for GST+handling but I am well prepared for it ...still makes the cardstock well worth the order.

So with PTI, I am scared to make a big order only to have to pay more tax when it arrives for less product...

As you said, with SU, there are no surprises.....

The most interesting thing I noticed is that my orders from Europe, no matter the amount seems to pass with no taxes and arrive quickly...well under 10 days.....

I joined SU as a hobby demo to get the basics so I never really looked at the selling aspect...I do feel bad for Demos who have to deal with customers complaining about the increased prices....I hope customers will get over the initial shock and be enticed back with awesome minis and on-going promos
Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #98
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballmom View Post
I'm not asking in order to start an argument ... but because I'm interested in knowing ... so imagine lots of smilies around ... What did you want SU! to say? Is there something that would have convinced you? What, if anything, would get you to see SU! in a more favorable light?
I know that we can't "change the world" in one fell swoop but I sincerely hope that SU revises some of their prices. While I'm not necessarily enthralled about any price increase, even a 5% increase is more paletable.

And although I am sure the customer service people are busy at SU, I would have hoped for some semblance of a personal response to my email. My friend also got her response back from SU and it was identical to the one I received (well, the one everyone else received too). My guess is they read the first line, hit "reply" and copied and pasted a template letter and hit "send". Wow, that sure makes me feel like my opinion counts!

Thank you everyone for your comments about this and for the humourous Ikea references! I am so glad that I am not the only one that is that upset about the price increase. You know it's bad when my husband (who usually accuses me of being "mildly" overdramatic) agrees that this increase a big scam and has even offered to help me scout out new stores to shop at.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #99

Hey ladies.
It's 10:43 pm and I just finished watering the garden. Came in read some more posts and have a quick question. Who is PTI? I'm been trying to figure it out. Canadian?
I'm not at all stressed out over the SU price hike. I just quit. Feels kind of good.
I do feel bad for my demo, she is a nice person and I realize that she is hit by this.
I too will get a form letter tomorrow and I will copy and paste it right back at them and tell them I find company letters offensive. The only message we can send them is " I quit." and I do, I'm kind of looking forward to giving our cities scrap shops more of my business.
As much as I love my once a month class, I never come home and make cards, and plus how many cards do I actually need in my life? I actually won't miss SU sorry to say.
Thanks for this thread, it affirms what I've been feeling for a very long time.
nite all.
jen
Old 06-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #100

and Ikea has great customer service and is environmentally structured
and cheap....
however I don't like their commercial about the woman sneaking to her car and driving off with her husband because she thinks she didn't pay the right amount. Promotes dishonesty, bothers me terribly.
But alas that is another thread and another rant.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #101
Inking Addict

Quote:
and cheap....
however I don't like their commercial about the woman sneaking to her car and driving off with her husband because she thinks she didn't pay the right amount. Promotes dishonesty, bothers me terribly.
Tee hee...it's funny 'cause it's true...I HATE that commercial!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #102
Inking Addict

Now I've done it...I sent a reply back to SU thanking them for the form letter and how it is clear to me that my (our) concerns do not seem to be important to them.

I was speaking with a friend of mine and we worked out some very simple numbers.

I typically spend $700-$1000 a year (but I am a little extreme) so for the sake of simplicity, let's assume people spend $500 a year with SU. All it takes is 2000 people taking their business elsewhere and SU has lost $1,000,000 in sales...ouch! I thought that I would include that in my email (though I doubt they will even read it!)

Will let you know what they say...I'm sure they have another form letter ready and waiting to cut and paste back to me!

But I do want to say...it really bothers me that the Demos are going to be the ones to suffer...it's not their fault that SU is getting greedy. I love my Demo and I will be sure to tell her that it's not her...it's SU that's driving me away!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #103
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriboo View Post
Thats exactly it Jodi,

Its really the gst + Canada Post handling fee. Sometimes its easier to call it duties for lack of a better word

I am more careful when I order from the US, as I see a pattern of what may get stopped and what almost always does.....

First Class under 40$ seems to get by with little problem....

First Class above 50$ has a higher chance but if it's small stuff like stamps it seems to pass ok (like Unity stamps in my case)

Anything over 3 lbs and above from the US has to go Priority and if it has a company stamp I know it ALWAYS gets stopped (like when I order Ginak paper and order over 50$ to get the $5.95 shipping) I know to expect to pay 10$ more for GST+handling but I am well prepared for it ...still makes the cardstock well worth the order.
Hey Terriboo,

Thanks for the shipping breakdown - this is very helpful stuff to keep in mind when shipping from anywhere in the US! BTW don't forget the good ol' PST in the 'duty' charges...

I'm really disappointed about the SU increase. I only started ordering this year because I love the paper, love how the DSP coordinates, and found the $$ reasonable. I've always thought the stamps were too pricey. Now that it's going up, I may just continue with my Bazzill paper instead (although with several LSS closing that's going to be hard to get at a reasonable price too!).

Oh well, guess I have a pretty good stash of paper (insert husband rolling eyes here )

nina
Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #104
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Hey ladies.
It's 10:43 pm and I just finished watering the garden. Came in read some more posts and have a quick question. Who is PTI? I'm been trying to figure it out. Canadian?
jen
Jen,

Sorry, it's Papertryink:

http://www.papertreyink.com/

I have heard great things about the quality of paper and the stamp designs are gorgeous!

Shipping to Canada is via USPS Priority shipping which is about $19US for stamps and about $21 for a pack of cardstock

jackie1 mentioned that the cardstock came to 3 cents a sheet cheaper than SU and I was trying to figure out how she calculated it as I would love to have a reason to order and try it out

Terri
Old 06-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #105
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Hey Terriboo,

Thanks for the shipping breakdown - this is very helpful stuff to keep in mind when shipping from anywhere in the US! BTW don't forget the good ol' PST in the 'duty' charges...

I'm really disappointed about the SU increase. I only started ordering this year because I love the paper, love how the DSP coordinates, and found the $$ reasonable. I've always thought the stamps were too pricey. Now that it's going up, I may just continue with my Bazzill paper instead (although with several LSS closing that's going to be hard to get at a reasonable price too!).

Oh well, guess I have a pretty good stash of paper (insert husband rolling eyes here )

nina
Nina,

I joined last year as a hobby demo for the exact reason: loved the paper, fell deeper in love with the accessories..lol

I feel your pain

Terri
Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #106
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I typically spend $700-$1000 a year (but I am a little extreme) so for the sake of simplicity, let's assume people spend $500 a year with SU. All it takes is 2000 people taking their business elsewhere and SU has lost $1,000,000 in sales...ouch! I thought that I would include that in my email (though I doubt they will even read it!)
Well said, tornadogirl. I am part of a monthly club, too, and find I probably spend $500-$600 on items over the year. I have been pondering whether or not to join again in September. I was even thinking about becoming a demo. Pretty sure I won't now and not sure I will continue the club now......it's irritating to feel ripped off! Just wish The Angel Company were available here. I like a number of their stamps
Old 06-24-2009, 01:49 AM   #107
Full of Malarky

Quote:

Really!! I've NEVER been charged duty on ANYTHING that I've ordered from the US or the UK. I have rarely been charged GST and PST and then an extra $5.00 bucks which is either customs Canada or Canada Post's charge for collecting the tax.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #108
Pearl-ExPert

Apparently if your items ship USPS, you shouldn't be charged anything else. If your items come another way, say UPS (not SU orders), you could get charged a lot extra. I ordered from some Cricut place in the US. My order was $99 US but the items had a higher retail value of probably around $200. I was charged $50 when it was delivered!

So now I'll only buy from places in the US (other than SU) that ship USPS.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #109
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinYTH View Post
Apparently if your items ship USPS, you shouldn't be charged anything else. USPS.
Many people think this, but it's unfortunately not true (been eBaying for over 10 years so I have a lot of experience over the years as both buyer and seller).

USPS gets packages to the border and then its up to Canada Post what gets stopped or not.....

Unless a company pays brokerage fees ahead of time (like SU does with UPS) everything is up for grabs when it crosses the border. Canada Post can only stop a small portion of items flowing into Canada, so they usually target only higher end items and bigger packages especially. Depending on the entry point into Canada, some are more strict than others.

debzi333 above stated that she does not often get packages stopped but for me here, its almost 50% of packages...

Of course, items marked "gift" and under 50$ never usually get stopped...

Stuff marked 50$+ value get more scrutiny even if marked gift.....

I too will never buy from sellers shipping UPS into Canada as their "handling fees" are way higher than Canada Post

You can get lucky at times....I bought 100$ US worth of Copics from merriartist who ships to Canada only via USPS Priority ($19 envelope) and was expecting to have to pay and in 5 days it arrived straight into my mailbox...so we can get lucky at times......

I think its good to expect to pay taxes and get a nice surprise when we don't have too

Terri
Old 06-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #110

Thanks for the pti info. Is there not a Canadian company out there that is looking for our business? I know the Canadian Scrapbooking magazine (which is fabulous) lists a whole bunch of places but I've never branched out.
Now that I'm am officially re-signed from SU I need to find a new place for paper. I'm going to quit buying stamps and use the 200 sets that I have.
lol
Old 06-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #111
Rubber Obsessor

Well, who knows... maybe someday PTI or GinaK will be in Canada. After all, SU only recently (well, what, 10 years ago? I remember buying my 1st and only SU stamps at a CK convention across the border in Washington) came to Canada, so perhaps some of our favourite companies will set up shop north of the border. (*hint hint* you guys listening out there? )

GinaK's flat rate shipping to Canada is great although I haven't taken advantage of that yet (got some stuff on my wishlist tho!). If only PTI would do the same. If only SU would do the same! Or free ship over xx$! Wouldn't that be nice? I'm sure many of you ladies would have no problems reaching that magical threshold if SU had that...

nina
Old 06-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #112

I got a response from SU from a guy named Tim? Did anyone else hear from this guy? Anyways he basically said a response will be coming shortly. I guess this is my form letter. I told him not to bother me with company form letters and that everyone up here has been given the same one.
I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #113
Inking Addict

Quote:
I got a response from SU from a guy named Tim? Did anyone else hear from this guy? Anyways he basically said a response will be coming shortly. I guess this is my form letter. I told him not to bother me with company form letters and that everyone up here has been given the same one.
I'll keep you posted.
Yep, that must be Tim L. Good for you for responding back to him...both my friend and I responded back to our respective customer service people telling them thanks for the form letter and glad to see that our feedback was going to be addressed. (Hah!)

Should be interesting what they have to say now...Will also keep everyone posted.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #114

Question for you ladies ...
If I were your demonstrator (which obviously I'm not ), what response would you want/expect from me in this situation? I'm sure some of my customers will have the same concerns you have, and I'd like to do what I can.
Thanks for any advice you might have.

Gail
Old 06-25-2009, 05:00 AM   #115
Pearl-ExPert

Gail, that's a good question, but I'm not sure there's a satisfactory response since the issue doesn't originate at the demo level. Unfortunately, it is the demos who have been forced into defending the company that they represent and will suffer the most as a result of corporate decisions.

As a demo, have you received any sort of speaking notes or instruction around this issue?

Anyway, the real issue resides at the corporate level of the company and the fact that the Canadian contingent has been left feeling like the sacrificial lamb, so to speak.

We're a finicky bunch, and don't generally complain too much, until something like this happens then we get all up in arms at the apparent inequity between markets.

Now, I have a question?

I'm assuming that SU also enjoys overseas business? UK, Europe, etc. Which catalog do they order from? Is there any leveling of currencies in those cases? Or do they just pay straight US prices?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenchie View Post
Gail, that's a good question, but I'm not sure there's a satisfactory response since the issue doesn't originate at the demo level. Unfortunately, it is the demos who have been forced into defending the company that they represent and will suffer the most as a result of corporate decisions.

As a demo, have you received any sort of speaking notes or instruction around this issue?

Anyway, the real issue resides at the corporate level of the company and the fact that the Canadian contingent has been left feeling like the sacrificial lamb, so to speak.

We're a finicky bunch, and don't generally complain too much, until something like this happens then we get all up in arms at the apparent inequity between markets.

Now, I have a question?

I'm assuming that SU also enjoys overseas business? UK, Europe, etc. Which catalog do they order from? Is there any leveling of currencies in those cases? Or do they just pay straight US prices?
SU! hasn't given us a 'script' for answering these questions ...

International ... SU! is available in Australia, NZ, England, France, Germany.
Australia/NZ share a catalogue, the European countries each have their own (in the appropriate language). Pricing is in the local currency. If you'd like to see them, go to the SU! website (stampinup.com) and click on the top right corner where it probably says Canada. You can choose whatever part of the world you want ... and it will give you access to their catalogues.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #117
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
and cheap....
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that really dislikes that Ikea commercial! They've had some other not so good ones also in the past. Too bad because their products are so nice.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #118

Quote:
If I were your demonstrator (which obviously I'm not ), what response would you want/expect from me in this situation? I'm sure some of my customers will have the same concerns you have, and I'd like to do what I can.

Gail
Thanks for asking Gail. I would direct all of our/your customers comments and concerns and ask them to address the seriousness of this. The US often underestimates Canadians. Especially Canadian women. I know the women I know have very strong opinions and voices of what they want to spend their money on. Shipping/handling/duties/postage is not one of them.
jen
Old 06-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetteringMama View Post
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that really dislikes that Ikea commercial! They've had some other not so good ones also in the past. Too bad because their products are so nice.
I too love Ikea, but when I saw that ad I thought to myself "and what they want us to steal from their store?"
Old 06-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #120
Inking Addict

Quote:

Gail
It sure is nice to know that someone from SU cares, Gail, and I do really appreciate that about you (which is why I am sure you are a successful Demo)! But unfortunately, with this price increase, it is the Demonstrators that are going to suffer (so to speak) with decisions that are made without regard to you as a Demo and us as customers as you potentially lose sales, customers and have to deal with irate customers like myself (sorry about that).

I would just like to see a relatively level "playing field" when it comes to the prices that we pay vs. the prices the US pays. Right now, I just feel that the company (not the Demos) don't care about their Canadian customers. I honestly would have swallowed a price increase with a little more understanding if the company also increased the US prices a bit. Instead of Canadians paying 10%-20% more, why not have US customers pay 10% more and Canadians pay 10% more? That seems a little more fair to the Canadians.

Perhaps I am oversimplfying the situation but I am really trying to look at this from a common-sense point of view.