Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Kookie Creator

Default Need suggestions for simple card for tornado-stricken university

Maybe you all heard about the tornadoes that tore through the South last week. An F4 tornado hit my alma mater, Union University, doing extensive damage, wiping out 80% of the dorms. We thank God and praise Him that no one lost their lives at Union, but the road back is going to be a very long one.

Over the last few days the faculty and staff of Union have been going into the rubble and "bagging and tagging" students undamaged, salvageable possessions so they can be returned to the kids. They've been doing cold, dirty work that could have been left to someone else to do, but this is personal for them and the epitome of what this university is all about.

I've thought about sending each faculty and staff member a very simple, handmade card to thank them and let them know I'm praying for them and that they're appreciated...even by someone who graduated fourteen years ago. I'm stumped about what to make though.

We're talking around 200 cards here, so it needs to be something simple, small, and quick, but I want it to be pretty and special, too. I have a limited set of stamps to work with that would be appropriate for something like this:

Serene Sunflower
All Natural
Both Way Blossoms
Lovely as a Tree
Close as a Memory
Paint Prints
and a few other non-SU stamps.

Does anyone have any suggestions? A card that you've done that fits the bill and that I can look at and maybe get some ideas for my own?

If you'd like to read more about Union University, the disaster, and relief efforts, there's a great deal of information on my blog linked in my sig.

Thanks!
Shari
Old 02-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

It could have been so bad at Union. Thankfully they were all safe there in the end.

As for a card - when I made thank you cards for my son's teachers at his school in England I printed off the school crest on acetate and then printed Thank you in different fonts and mounted the acetate over the printed card with eyelets. Simple and effective especially as I made about 20 of them -

I'm not familiar with the sets but I think anything uplifting such as "This little light of mine" or "you are my sunshine" should help brighten their day. HTH
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!