Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-09-2007, 05:59 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need help to unmount new stamps

hello ladies, i am sure that there are many threads to this but i did not come across one that fit for what i need to know.
i just got some new SU stamps, and i was wondering how to i set them up to be uses unmounted? i havent done anything with yet, they are still in the box, uncut and unmounted from the wood still.
so my main question is what do i do from here? what do i need to buy to make them useable with acrylic blocks? any and all help would be great!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

My personal preference is to get some of the new Thin EZ Mount (1/16" thick instead of 1/8") and stick your new stamps with the adhesive foam they already have on them right onto the thin EZ mount sheet. You can coarsely trim your new stamps down a little before sticking them on the Thin EZ to maximise the amount of stamps you can get out of one sheet. Sunday International is one company that carries the thin EZ Mount brand, and Blockhead Stamps has an off-brand of this product that they prefer to the name brand.

You can also place the index stickers on the foam opposite the rubber die for that stamp, then trim closely and apply a thin layer of Alene's Tack it Over and Over glue on the sticker. Folks have also applied the TiOnO to the adhesive part of the foam, or have removed the rubber from the foam altogether and put the glue on the back of the rubber.

Another option is to apply the rubber and foam to a sheet of vinyl cling, like what window clings are made of. This is not the most popular option, as while the vinyl cling works well enough on the acrylic handle, it doesn't really stick to CD cases or storage sheets very well.

You can also leave the back of your stamp (either on foam or just the rubber) unsticky, and use Tack N Peel by Tsukeneko on your acrylic blocks to get your stamps to stick temporarily to the block.

I'm sure ther are more options, but that's all I can come up with this morning. Good luck and have fun with your new stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Hey there Mel... if I was to use the 1/16" EZ Mount with my already attached SU Foam would they still fit in CD cases?

Right now I've been taking the SU foam off completely and using 1/8" EZ Mount.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 06:59 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

Many options out there. What works for me is just trim the SU rubber, peel the paper off the back and then put the sticker on the back. I don't use ez mount at all and don't take off what SU already has affixed. I use the TIO on the acrylic block so my stamps DON'T stick to the CD case I store them in.

I just un-mounted another 20 sets last night and after a 20 sec. visit to the microwave, the foam and rubber came right off the block and the sticker peeled off the block and stuck right to the foam of the stamp; trimmed the sticker to match the trimmed rubber and I was good to go. I LOVE my unmounted stamps! So much easier to find the set I want to use.

Good luck with whatever method you use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 12:06 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganreissView Post
Many options out there. What works for me is just trim the SU rubber, peel the paper off the back and then put the sticker on the back. I don't use ez mount at all and don't take off what SU already has affixed. I use the TIO on the acrylic block so my stamps DON'T stick to the CD case I store them in.

I just un-mounted another 20 sets last night and after a 20 sec. visit to the microwave, the foam and rubber came right off the block and the sticker peeled off the block and stuck right to the foam of the stamp; trimmed the sticker to match the trimmed rubber and I was good to go. I LOVE my unmounted stamps! So much easier to find the set I want to use.

What is TIO??

I have been thinking of not mounting my next SU set on the wood.... I've purchases a lot of unmounteds recently and love how compactly they store and are easy to use....
I haven't been brave enough to mess with my SU sets - but the new ones... I thought about doing what you described...

The permanent sticky stuff on the SU foam doesn't stick to the acrylic block?
Do you just replace the sticker paper after stamping?
Does the sticky stuff attract dust and pet hair and become unsticky??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I use the EZ Mount, too. I've been unmounted for about 4 years now, and I now buy my EZ Mount from Beeswax.

It's $1 a sheet cheaper than anywhere else I've ever seen it.

I've also found that acrylic blocks are a personal thing. I just sold all my old 1/2 inch thick blocks for the slimmer blocks at Beeswax. Theirs are only 1/4 inch and I have very small hands and find these MUCH easier to use. But then, that's a personal thing. My sister likes the 1/2 inch because her hands shake.
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

Sorry! TIO - I meant Tack it Over and Over. I put it on the acrylic block, just a little, and once it dries, rub in on my jeans to get some lint or it's too sticky. I have had to re-do one block and the old stuff just washes off; re-apply the Tack It Over and Over, dry, lint it up and you're ready to go.

If you microwave the already mounted stamps for 20 seconds, they will come off the wood block with the rubber. I put the sticker (with the stamp image) on that foam part so you can see the image through the clear acrylic block for positioning and that sticker covers the sticky glue on the foam. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I sort of had the same question - except I just needed to find out how to mount my Bella stamps. I found this link that seemed pretty helpful.

http://www.sundayint.com/index.asp?P...n=Custom&ID=11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I use the regular grey EZ mount. When I get a new stamp, I ink it up with black StazOn and stamp the clingy side of the EZ Mount, then I pull the foam that comes attached to the SU rubber off and throw it away, then stick the stamp to the sticky side EZ mount and trim. That way I can see the image on the back of the stamp when I stick it on my acrylic block. That paired with trimming the stamp really close makes positioning the stamp as easy as using a clear stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by nondaView Post
Your blog was a religious website with tons of pop-ups.....
Yikes! When I click on the link in my siggy line, my blog comes right up ~ I wonder what the heck is going on! I'm so sorry.

If you want to try again, here's a direct link with my blog window open:

A Little Bit of Everything
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

so i was looking at marlas blog about "tack n peel" (thanks for getting back to me with your direct link) and reading the beeswax site about ez sheets.

what exactly is the difference??? just the brand or that the tack n peel has no foam, right?

but if i used the thin ez mount sheet it will still work with the stamps when i leave the SU foam on?

how many sheet do i need if i unmount like 30 sets?

did you unmount your alphas???? oh my... is this a lot of work?

my main question is tho: does un-mounting effect the value of your sets?
lets say i keep the wood blocks in the basement and when i want to sell the sets, can i take the EZ mount or this tack n peel off the rubber and mount it on the wood block?

My SCS Gallery
My blog
: Pretty Pressings
Designer for Magnolia, Sweden, Lili of the Valley and Sir Stampalot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Well, It is definately more difficult to find buyers for unmounted.

I personally don't like the vinyl cling with no foam. I tried it once thinking I would save money. Maybe I got a wrong brand or something, but it clung to NOTHING! Not the block, not my albums...

I did use some of them for a year or so with the old, sticky foam still on, and it did cling to the blocks for a while, but it got messy and I HATE MESSES. I ended up having to clean my blocks with goo-gone and it ruined several album pages, too. (Did I mention I don't keep mine in CD or DVD cases? I use photo albums ) I finally got fed up with that too and bought more EZ mount. It's worth the expense.

I started with 10 sheets and that was more than I could handle for a while. A year or so later I did another 5 sheets and finished up. Start with the sets you use most. I didn't bother with alphabets for a while, they were in the group that waited a year.

MikiBee, that's the coolest idea to stamp on the cling side! Never thought of that!
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

thanks for the link, it was just what i was looking for, thanks for the pics to go with it. i am a very visual person so i like to see how things are done.
i hope that the others who are wanting to do this too have gotten the help they needed.
thanks ladies for all your hlep!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 03:48 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudiafromGermanyView Post

lets say i keep the wood blocks in the basement and when i want to sell the sets, can i take the EZ mount or this tack n peel off the rubber and mount it on the wood block?
I unmounted one of my alphas. It wasn't hard, but it did take a couple of hours (upper and lower case). I have a couple more to go.

For your other question, it depends. Going unmounted is becoming more and more popular. I, for one, would seek out and prefer to buy unmounted, rather than buying already mounted stamps and have to unmount them myself.
But yes, a lot of people that unmount their SU stamps, keep the blocks "just in case." To me that defeats one of the main bonuses of unmounting... saving space! But if you intend to sell your stamps, it couldn't hurt to hang onto the blocks, at least for awhile, till you get a feel for the market and see if people will buy them unmounted. Like I said, I would sure buy them umounted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 03:51 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

oops, forgot your other question... I had 30 sets unmounted, and I think it took less than 6 sheets of EZ Mount. A little goes a long way, especially if you trim your rubber a bit before you mount it on the EZ Mount. And save the scraps. You're bound to find a tiny stamp that will fit perfectly on a small piece of EZ Mount!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 06:15 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudiafromGermanyView Post
so i was looking at marlas blog about "tack n peel" (thanks for getting back to me with your direct link) and reading the beeswax site about ez sheets.

what exactly is the difference??? just the brand or that the tack n peel has no foam, right?

but if i used the thin ez mount sheet it will still work with the stamps when i leave the SU foam on?

Tack n Peel is a sticky sheet that you put on your acrylic block, not on the stamps themselves, while EZ Mount goes right on the stamps (the thin type can go directly on the foam, while the thicker type is designed to be used on rubber only).

Yes, you can remount your stamps onto the block at any time if you use tack n peel, since it doesn't go on the stamps, or if you use vinyl cling...not sure about EZ mount, as I have never tried!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoviView Post
Hey there Mel... if I was to use the 1/16" EZ Mount with my already attached SU Foam would they still fit in CD cases?

Right now I've been taking the SU foam off completely and using 1/8" EZ Mount.
I didn't forget about your question, I just had to get through my OCD linear mounting process and finish cutting all my remounted stamps before I could see if they fit in a cd case.

Just in case anyone was wondering how to do it, I zapped almost all of my wood-mounted stamps in batches on a plate in the microwave (5 seconds on the first pass to make sure there was no metal hidden in the stamp somewhere and that nothing would explode, then 10-15 seconds to get large batches of stamps warm enough to melt the adhesive), then peeled the rubber and foam off and put it on the thin EZ mount. It is very easy to cut through, but I found it took some practice before I was able to cut the thin mount flush with the edges of the rubber and thicker foam.

Unfortunately for the CD case storers, mounting rubber on 1/8" foam onto 1/16" foam makes the stamp too thick to store in a CD case. When I tried it out, I was able to close the CD case but the stamp was very definitely pushing the lid upwards and distorting its shape. I recently started storing my stamps on sheets in boxes so I can flip through them easier, so the thickness isn't an issue for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

I am in the process of unmounting my stamps and learning lots along the way. Once I started using the EZ mount foam I wondered if there would be any kind of plastic that I could stick to the sticky side of the existing SU foam that would mimic the cling side of the EZ mount. The first thing I tried was Saran Wrap and it Worked! The stamp stuck to the acrylic block just as well as the EZ mount. The only problem is the stamp did not stick to the EZ mount binder sheet. Does any one else have ideas to solve this problem? I would rather buy more stamps then replacement foam. Stamps are more fun!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

The TAC company sells the foam called Creative cling. It's great, sold by the sheet, and works well. HTH...Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahloumelView Post
I didn't forget about your question, I just had to get through my OCD linear mounting process and finish cutting all my remounted stamps before I could see if they fit in a cd case.

Just in case anyone was wondering how to do it, I zapped almost all of my wood-mounted stamps in batches on a plate in the microwave (5 seconds on the first pass to make sure there was no metal hidden in the stamp somewhere and that nothing would explode, then 10-15 seconds to get large batches of stamps warm enough to melt the adhesive), then peeled the rubber and foam off and put it on the thin EZ mount. It is very easy to cut through, but I found it took some practice before I was able to cut the thin mount flush with the edges of the rubber and thicker foam.

Unfortunately for the CD case storers, mounting rubber on 1/8" foam onto 1/16" foam makes the stamp too thick to store in a CD case. When I tried it out, I was able to close the CD case but the stamp was very definitely pushing the lid upwards and distorting its shape. I recently started storing my stamps on sheets in boxes so I can flip through them easier, so the thickness isn't an issue for me.
I have been using the hotknife tool to cut through the EZ Mount. It works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

quick question for some of you that have already unmounted.. if i use the thin ez mount on the new unmounted stamps i just got would it still fit in the cd cases? i dotn know how thick the foam and rubber is from SU, so i was thinking that with that as is, and add the thin ez mount would be easy. but would they fit? hope i made sense and that some one can help me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 04:34 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

I didn't read all replys but I just seen on Gina K blog ( A Day In The Life) that she used 8x10 acrylic photo frames to store her unmounted stamps she said she allso used cd case but couldn't see the images this way none of her stamps get neglected. Check her blog out for a detail instruction of what to do.I hope this will help you out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 06:58 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by munchkin25View Post
quick question for some of you that have already unmounted.. if i use the thin ez mount on the new unmounted stamps i just got would it still fit in the cd cases?
The CD cases will close but the rubber will be pushing up on the lid and bowing it out. This isn't an issue for me because I don't use CD cases (pix of my system are in my gallery if you're curious).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Mel,
I looked at the photos of your system and it looks great to me. My question is do you think foam "treated" with plastic wrap (see my earlier post) would stick to the magnetic photo album pages with their plastic cover removed and not dammage the stamps. If it worked then I would have the cheep efective solution I have been looking for.:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

If you haven't unmounted them you can peel the red rubber right off and keep as one sheet and stamp the image on the back of the creative cling foam. Check out my blog below for complete directions and photos!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

I'm using the thin ezmount and find that it is a tight fit in the CD cases but I'm okay with it. I haven't experienced any trouble closing the case or distorting an image.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahloumelView Post
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debmom4caView Post
Mel,
I looked at the photos of your system and it looks great to me. My question is do you think foam "treated" with plastic wrap (see my earlier post) would stick to the magnetic photo album pages with their plastic cover removed and not dammage the stamps.
I think the cling wrap would stick to the magnetic sheet, tho I don't know how it would hold up over the longer run. If the uncovered magnetic sheet is too sticky, it might stretch out the cling wrap over time. As a kind of example, when I pulled them off, the cling on my See D's stamps stretched out the plastic film that was on the laminated storage card that came with the stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 10:42 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganreissView Post

Ohhh...that is a good idea...I used TIOAO on my Micheal's stamps and they are sticking to the CD case. I like your idea

come and play the INK IT UP CHALLENGE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2007, 03:11 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

ok a few more questions here. i saw gwens blog and that made sense on how to do that. now would i do the same thing with ezmount? if not mistaken its the same thing right? i am not really familiar with alot of this.
so i need lots of help!!!
Reply With Quote Likes