Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-10-2004, 08:57 PM   #1
Embossing Fanatic

Default Need help with eyelet punch!!

I am having the worse time trying to get my eyelet punch to work. It seems as if I hit it with the hammer at least 25 times. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? I have the basic eyelet punch and setter from stampin' up and I have only had it for about 3 months. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Rachel Robinson

Go Razorbacks Beat Texas!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-10-2004, 08:59 PM   #2
SCS Moderator

2 tips I can think of:
1. make sure it is free from excesws paper circles

2. Do not use it on a plastic table top-the surface below needs to be solid for it to stamp through. A wooden table or kitchen/workbench counter seem to do the trick!

Old 09-12-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
Crimping Master

Default Same problem...

If it's any consolation, I'm having the same problem. I've had my punch and setter about 5 months. I even recently purchased the paper popper just to eliminate excess paper. Yes, it gets rid of the tiny little circles of cardstock. No, it has not significantly improved the performance of the punch. I, too, hammer and hammer.

I love using eyelets and don't like this frustration element. The small response to this thread leads me to believe not so many people have this problem. Could that mean that a few of us just have defective punches? Is it too late for me to call SU about a possible replacement?

More experienced punchers, give us some advice!

Thanks in advance!

Mary
Old 09-12-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
Cardstock Collector

First, check the tip and make sure there aren't any little paper bits left in the end. Second, and I learned this the hard way(I thought it was the Bazzill paper) is that if you do not do it on a hard surface, it will not work. I was doing my work on a long folding table that I got from Loew's---it is not a wood table, but not exactly plastic either. I thought it was strong enough. The girl at the scrapbook store told me to do it on the tiel floor, which worked, but I hated to do that cuz I didn't want to damage my tile. My solution? An old wooden cutting board. I put the eyelet mat on top of the wood cutting board, and then do my eyelets on there---it now works great! Kiki
Old 09-12-2004, 09:05 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought there was something wrong with mine too, but found that if I use the kitchen countertop or my kitchen table, it works great. If it is not a solid surface, it doesn't work well at all!!
Old 09-12-2004, 09:43 PM   #6
Polyshrink Goddess

I'll have to try the hard surface suggestion. I've been using an 1/8 inch hole punch, but you can set the eyelets as far as the punch will reach...
Old 09-13-2004, 05:57 AM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

I second (or is it third or fourth now...), a hard surface is ESSENTIAL. Fix that and you will probably have no more problems! Well, except maybe how to muffle the sound when you want to be doing this at midnight...

Hugs,
Betsy
Old 09-13-2004, 06:10 AM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
a hard surface is ESSENTIAL.
ITA. That says it all.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:16 AM   #9
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I used my downline's hole punch this weekend for the first time and had the same problem. The hole was cleared of paper and we went to 5 differnt tables but still the same problem.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:18 AM   #10
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default eyelet punch

Ok, I am a SU demo, BUT I can be honest and say that I do not like the eyelet punch or setter. All the demos in my area use the setter from michaels for personal use (including me). Even though we have to use the SU one for demos. I bought the set of eyelet punches that have 3 screw on attachmants for different sizes, and it is sharp and goes right through the paper. I DO think the paper popper is needed to save a little frustration. That is just my 2 cents.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:33 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

If my long reach 1/8" circle hole punch doesn't reach then I go for the eyelet punch that I bought at Michael's. I find the hole punch works just as good as the other and no loud noise from the hammer. I put a little dot with a pencil where I want the hole to be, turn my hole punch upside down and slide the paper until I have the hole lined up with the pencil marking, and then just push down. Works every time!
Old 09-13-2004, 06:46 AM   #12
Compulsive Stamper

You could also try punching your anywhere punch through aluminum foil a few times. Sometimes that helps to sharpen the punching end. Works with other kinds of paper punches, too.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:55 AM   #13
SCS Moderator

Wow-if I use a hard surface (my husband's workebench) I have had no problems at all. Hope the tips here help!

Old 09-13-2004, 07:06 AM   #14
Mad Swapper

Have you tried different brands of eyelets? I have a bunch of really cute flower ones that I can't use because they are made out of some kind of hard metal and won't even start to set on the back.

Kelli
Old 09-13-2004, 07:10 AM   #15
Polyshrink Goddess

I use my husbands hammer... I guess I don't have enough elbow grease py for the little hammer, but I've found that if I use the "big" hammer then it's only one hit and you're done!!! :P
Old 09-13-2004, 09:05 AM   #16
Die Cut Diva

Go find a Pampered Chef consultant and buy their tiny little cutting board, it works great!!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 04:53 PM   #17
Insane Embellisher

I had trouble too until I got down on the floor! I use the rec room floor that is tiled but I also bought a little green mat that quilters would use their rotary cutter on (found it at the dollar store) and that works great on top of the tiles - saves the noise a bit too.

HeatherJ
SCS Member #2067
Blog - http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.ca/
Old 09-13-2004, 06:16 PM   #18
Crimping Master

If all else fails, call SU!. I had the same trouble with my new hole punch in the Crafter's Kit. Come to find out, the tool wasn't sharp enough. When I called SU! they sent a replacement--no questions asked. SU! doesn't recommend having customers try to sharpen them themselves.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:25 PM   #19
Polyshrink Goddess

Virginia, we must be on the same wave length. I use the tiny Pampered Chef cutting board too! I tried it for its original purpose, but it is too tiny. Great for setting eyelets though!
Old 09-14-2004, 04:29 AM   #20
Pearl-ExPert

I must admit that I too don't care for the stampin up punch and setter. I was using the making memories toolkit, but then I saw a readysetter at a scrapbook convention. That thing is AWESOME! It's springloaded, you just pop in the appropriate tip (it comes with 3 sizes of punches and setters), put it in place, pull up the handle, let it go, and WHOP, the hole is there, put the eyelet in, flip, put in the setter tip, and WHOP, its set. I just love it, I don't think I can ever go back to the hammering!!
And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:49 AM   #21
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkylady
I must admit that I too don't care for the stampin up punch and setter. I was using the making memories toolkit, but then I saw a readysetter at a scrapbook convention. That thing is AWESOME! It's springloaded, you just pop in the appropriate tip (it comes with 3 sizes of punches and setters), put it in place, pull up the handle, let it go, and WHOP, the hole is there, put the eyelet in, flip, put in the setter tip, and WHOP, its set. I just love it, I don't think I can ever go back to the hammering!!
I am assuming this is a Japanese Drill Punch, also called a book drill. I have a Darice one. It was $50 (minus 40% coupon), but really worth it for the quiet aspect. I use a lot of brads so I can do this quietly with the guys sleeping.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:02 AM   #22
Insane Embellisher

If the Eyelets are SU you can "silent set" them.....

PUnch a hole for the eyelet then using a 1/16 hole punch put the little pointy thing in the BACK of the eyelet and sweeze - no hammering necessary!

BUT this only works on SU eyelets - the other ones are a harder metal and cannot be "Silent set"

S for using the hammer - a HARD sruface works great but watch for tile counters...... oops - yep speak from experience! Slipped and chipped the surface!!! I now have a WOODEN board for my non su eyelets!

EDITED TO ADD: trying to get an eyelet "deep" into a card - you need to use the hammer!

Smiles

Kate
Old 09-14-2004, 08:14 AM   #23
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendant23
Quote:

Originally Posted by inkylady
I am assuming this is a Japanese Drill Punch, also called a book drill. I have a Darice one. It was $50 (minus 40% coupon), but really worth it for the quiet aspect. I use a lot of brads so I can do this quietly with the guys sleeping.
I've never heard it called this, I guess it could be the same. Mine is by Readyset Tools, I've never seen one like it in the store. I think I paid $39.95 for the setter, the 6 attachments, and a setting pad with metal back. I love the setting pad because I've always had a hard time setting eyelets on my craft table because there's no support in the middle where I sit. (My table is an old door from my daughters room). The metal back on the setting pad makes it possible for me to set eyelets on anything. At the display where I bought it they were demo'ing it on a pillow, to show how great it works!
And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure.