Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-27-2004, 11:43 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Coasters....

I also posted this under Techniques yesterday but only got one response and only about using Sharpies. Hopefully someone else will be willing to help out a newbie. Thanks!

Ok - I've done a lot of searching on here and I want to make sure I understand this. I have tumbled tiles and I used my Staz-On black to stamp my image. Do I then cook them in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees? And then I want to chalk on the color and I found that people use the VersaMark pad on the tile and then use chalk to color in. Do I cook the tile again after this at the same temp and time? Ok and then I bought the spray to coat them just as another precaution so the color and ink won't smear. So now on to attaching the cork - I saw that the suggestion was E6000 and Arleen's Glue??? Which one is better and where can I find these?? Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. I'm making 20 sets of 4 different coasters for Christmas gifts and want to do it right.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

I have seen many posts about tiles but have never really found step by step directions so I am interested if anyone knows where to find these.

And I found E6000 at Wal-Mart.

And what are tumbled tiles? I bought some 4x4 tiles at Lowe's. They were the smallest they sold. I want some small ones to make magnets. But, I haven't even tried the Lowe's ones yet because I need step by step instructions.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 12:10 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

When I make tiles, I usually stamp them with StazOn and then color. If you are stamping with StazOn, my understanding is that they do NOT need to be baked, but it is an added precaution.

I would stamp it, let it dry, color as desired, bake and then spray with a sealant. Make sure if you are going to bake them, you do so before putting the cork on the bottom. LOL! Don't ask!

I have colored the tiles with chalk and also with StazOn on a q-tip. They have both turned out nicely.

I always get my tiles at Lowes, but you can also get them at any home improvement store like Home Depot, etc. You can also buy sheets of tiles at Lowes. One word of caution if you are going to be making magnets. The only magnet I have found that is strong enough to hold the tiles on the refrigetator are also sold at Lowes. They are circles and are GREAT! The ones from WalMart do NOT hold the tiles up. They slide right down the refrigerator. Again, don't ask! LOL!

Hope that helps you out!
- Susan
www.inkedblessings.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 01:16 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Default Tumbled Tiles

I have made tons of tumbled tiles and have had success with stamping with the stazon and than coloring either with the sharpies, chalks, or watercolor pencils and blender pens. I always wait till the Stazon is dry but it really doesn't take very long. You can tell by looking at it. I than spray with the Krylon Matte Sealer, let dry about 15 minutes and spray again. That's it. No baking! Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 02:02 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

What do you mean by 'tumbled tiles'?

The ones I wanted to make as magnests are only about 2x2 or smaller. When you say that Lowe's has them in sheets...do you mean that they are attached by...well, whatever that stuff is called.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 02:08 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Yes, I got the 2x2 tiles from Lowes in a flat sheet attached with glue-ish stuff. I just trimmed it off with some old scissors.
- Susan
www.inkedblessings.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 02:21 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to Blue Peanut

I get my tiles from Lowes. They come in a box of 9 which will cover 1 square foot (that is what it says on the box). The barcode label on the box says "4x4 Bottichino Sq Ft". These tiles are not glazed. I used Stazon and then I colored in with colored sharpies. When that was done I baked them in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes. When they cooled I checked to make sure they were waterproof, meaning the colors didn't run, and the color didn't run. If you use chalks or the regular markers ect you may have to seal them with the spray acrylic sealer but then they will not be absorbant coasters. I hope this all makes sense. Any questions on how I did it don't hesitate to pm or e-mail me and I can try to answer your questions. Have fun with it!

Renee'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2004, 02:51 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

After reading quite a few posts that the tiles are heated even with stazon I'm wondering if these have a gloss finish? The ones I have a Italian, porus and when I use stazon I don't have to heat, I also haven't been adding other mediums, so once dry found nothing would take the stazon off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 07:43 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all the help. I just keep running into problems with the Versamark being so sticky. I guess I have to keep adding layers of sealer. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes