Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #41
Gallery Gazer

Aww, Jeanne - how sweet of you to say! I'll take all the blessings anyone wants to send out, so thanks for that, too!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #42
Proud Fan Club Member

Sue....coming in late here...but I still have a few suggestions.

What is the ONE thing most of us have in common? It isnt needing to get our space organized as much as it is downsizing/purging.

We know we want to...but one of the big obstacles is the idea of the loss of invested money in what we would let go of. Donating a couple of stamps is one thing. But if someone is doing a serious purge of dozens or hundreds or add in stencils, EFs, dies, etc....most of us have accidental duplicates, or have changed styles and face it, how many have things they never even used? Now you are talking serious money. You advertise "turn your unwanted craft supplies into cash" and I am willing to bet you will take off.

Depending on where you sell it...on ebay you could ask full mfg price-I see it all the time. Esp if new. Here of course would be less. Maybe you start on ebay...doesnt move, you switch to here for a lower price or whatever.

To have someone who has been around with experience and will recognize mfgs and value...what retains or increases in value (ie PTI, PSX, House Mouse) and what doesnt....

I think if you would act as a consignment selling agent for crafters...you could make money. Whether you want to choose Etsy (I hear it's easier for terms) or ebay or whatever...

What you need is a space to hold the inventory. Is there low cost, indoor, safe stoage facilities by you?
Then it's just some decisions:
1) How long you will hold it on consignment before it has to be returned (at the customer's expense),
2) what is a base fee if it doesnt sell-by item, by batch discount?
3) what % you want if it does sell.
4) are you willing to deal with international shipping?
5) make it clear to your clients you will not be responsible for crazypants ebay buyers who are scamming sellers. They take the risk of selling online and absorb the loss-though frankly I have found the stamping niche to be mostly really nice people.
6) figure out shipping in advance on a variety of weights...it is common for stamp buyers to want to combine and to save money on the shipping. The most successful seller I know on ebay has a low flat ship fee no matter how much you buy at one time but it has to invoice all together which says to me she is calc'ing some shipping in her pricing to begin with-which is fine.

Then you set up an account, get shipping materials, and you should be good to go. You can either go to near by clients or have them mail it to you from a distance and then you can have the whole country as a client base. I would suggest you have them send you pics of the stamps front and back to see condition and viability.

And because if they are purging a lot...the ship to you would spread the cost per item out...this would not make sense for one thing unless they were local to you and walked it in. Since any member of ebay can see what a seller has sold...they can tell if you sold their item...you just tell them what their unique prefix code is. (ie I know everything with your id # starting with 019 is mine-not to be confused with ebay's item number) I will know if it was listed and if it sold.

You decide what the payment plan is....at time of sale, or once a month. Depends on how long you want to hold the cosignment for.

If you set your end dates to every X day...Sunday nights for monday shipping or whatever is good for you...you wont have to go to the locker every single day.

Because you are organizationally talented, I believe you would quickly devise the most efficient way to do this. Because you know how to be frugal, you could set up the locker for not tons of money-after all you dont need all new shelving racks. If you could hook up with closing stores-they sell their display stuff pretty cheap or whatever.

What is sad is that we cant have a rental library for stuff. I would love to be a member and be able to rent a stamp or stencil but obviously mfgs wont swing with that at all. That is something I would love to work on...a massive repository of stuff that could have pieces 20 plus years old...((sigh))

Now a completely different idea.
Be the organizer of regular craft fleas. If you have a big enough population in your area...if you can find a space you can rent (like a church rec room) and then charge people a fee to have a table there to sell their own stuff....like every first Sat of the month. So that sellers can come/go as they want and buyers know where to find the seller again...if someone wants to give a fast class over in a side room...or do demos to advertise doing classes back at their home...or in the student's house....there are multiple possibilites. Then you dont have to deal with pricing the stuff yourself and you could have a table yourself when you want to-a two fer!

I would go to those myself both as a seller and a buyer. There was an organized group of quilters here that did that every month. It was cool.

I have seen your work. I think it is sellable if you wanted to set up an etsy account. It will be a volume thing...you wont get what you should per card but you could still make money and work from home on your computer.

And lastly...there is teaching. I think you would be very good at it. Or having just a get together...I would pay 10 bucks for x hours just to sit with other crafters and work on my projects in company...for the companionship. Too many of us are alone in this.

You could combine the two...if you started some kind of local stamping chapter...people meet once a week to work, and once a month they sell...I would not have a problem with the idea of you getting a management fee or whatever one calls it.

Anyway..just some ideas.

Last edited by wavejumper; 01-14-2017 at 08:09 PM..
gregzgurl likes this post.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:24 AM   #43
Die Cut Diva

Sue- I have done this on the bigger scale. I use to teach decluttering and organizing. You are getting a lot of great feedback from the girls on here.

Professionally this could work. Craft room are hugely popular now. They are the new women caves. I have a friend that designs man caves. Most people do want full homes and not specialty. It is a niche market. That can be a very good thing. There are people who just want you to come in and fix that certain room. They are more willing to look for somebody that has expertise in all rooms. I had a friend tell me recently she just wanted somebody to come in and help her with her kitchen. Then I got the puppy eyes from her. I am like "Girl, no you are wishing. I am organizing my home to move to the mountains and ocean."

This is why I got out of helping organizing and decluttering. The emotional impact. I am really sensitive. I think you are too. You will hear a lot of hard stories as your organizing. People really do not want their rooms to look like a tornado. They go through things and have losses and that is right in that room. They can't let go of an unfinished cross-stitch because they started when their Mother died for example. They are gung ho to start organizing and then you hit something in their room that just shuts them down. Then people have issues with the money. Not spending money for you but spending money on the things that need for the organization or even spending money to get rid of the things. The whole "I spent good money on that." I hate breaking people's hearts. It makes me feel like a monster. I have spent more time consoling than organizing.

I am good at organizing. I can declutter, organize and make a room beautiful in no time flat. I moved into my home four years ago and something was off about my art room. Nothing I could do fixed it. Then I found out it was the furniture. I was holding on to emotional furniture. I couldn't believe it. I was one of my clients. Then I decided I needed to reorganize since I am moving cross country soon. It took me all Summer because I had all these emotional attachments to things in my room because I am really going through terrible grief. I fell apart, got sick and ended up in the hospital. Walked in the hospital and they said I was having an extreme anxiety attack. I am sharing all this TMI because I remember after I got better I kept thinking that could have been one of my clients. I would have been at a loss. I am glad it happened because I am getting proper help now. I REALLY LOVE MY ROOM NOW! I told my hubby we are not allowed to move. That is until we found a Gothic Victorian home tonight.

I do hope that helps. I hope you find a dream job soon. Sending you hugs.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #44
Gallery Gazer

All I can say is...WOW! I continue to be SO, SO incredibly in awe and so moved by the kindness, graciousness, and helpfulness of this community! Some really, really valuable information and great ideas - thank you so much! And lylacfey, thank you for allowing yourself to be open and vulnerable enough to share your story. I'm truly touched... I'm firmly in the camp of "everything happens for a reason", and I think that it's amazing that you saw the reason so soon after the experience, and I'm glad that you're in a better place now. I hope the Gothic Victorian is everything you hope it will be!

I have a temporary job that is kind of open-ended right now, so I'm able to mull over the suggestions here and give them their proper review. I appreciate SO MUCH the time, thought and energy that everyone has taken to respond! I can see many more possibilities than I had initially considered, so thank you for that.

May all the powers that be bless all of you for your kindness! Love and light to you all, and have a fantastic Sunday!

Last edited by gregzgurl; 01-15-2017 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: Added a bit more...
Old 01-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #45
Proud Fan Club Member

Lylacfey (((((((hugs))))))). I hope whatever event sent you over the edge is receeding and you are finding peace now. Life can totally be overwhelming at times. I can totally ID with keeping emotional stuff-including bad stuff. It's like we flay ourselves with it. Not good.

Sue-what goes around, comes around my friend. You are always SO helpful and supportive to us!! (((hugs))) to you too!
lylacfey likes this post.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:18 AM   #46
Die Cut Diva

wavejumper- Thank you for the kind words. I have lost two children in the past decade. Then the past few years DH & I have lost a lot of our friends and family tragically. There was one year where somebody passed away every month. It was a death per month. It was horrible time. I couldn't cope with the loss of my last child. Then a lot of people were very cruel about it.

I also had a lot of pressure on me for my career, friends & family. DH & I are the support for everyone. We don't ask it back. It was going to happen. I wish it didn't but it did.

buggainok likes this post.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:36 AM   #47
Gallery Gazer

I.cannot.even! I am so very, very blessed that I haven't had to cope with the loss of a child (I have six), and to lose two in such a short time? I would be a puddle... Then to have all of the other tragedy heaped on, as well... I am amazed at your strength, DeeAnn! Thank you again for sharing your story and your resolve... I think that I mis-read your original post and thought that the grief was in the past. Re-reading I see that it says "am", not "was". I hope that the grief passes as soon as possible for you. Know that, although I am not experiencing this myself, I still can identify how crippling it would be, and wish you all the love and light and healing that can possibly be! Thank you a million times over for having the courage to share so that I can feel better about my own petty issues...

buggainok likes this post.