Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NE1 else want to sign a NO MORE BUYING petition?

As, I am shopping on Hobby Lobby on-line, it occured to me, "I think I have those charms?" I wonder where they are? Yes, I'm a very organized person, but never really to look BEHIND all my organized containers. Sure enough, I found what I called "colored charms", and I already had found the "charms" conainer. What was I thinking when I just placed an order at Bunny Zoe's site (GREAT SITE BTW), for more charms. All I really wanted to order was finally the Raffia Lace which I have been searching high and low for it.

OK....so here is where I must start my petition. It is time to stop buying and organizing and get to creating and enjoying my CRAFTS.

So, I, Sheila Pavelec, promise to not buy anything new for cards and scrapbooking and promise to utilize my STASH! (I know, I didn't say for how long, oh my I'm shaking (LOL), I'm not sure if I can put a time frame on it). (I'll close the site when I just look at hair pins, PROMISE). Ok, I can do it!!

Sheila Pavelec
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I, Bonnie Krohn, will not buy anything new for paper crafting (but emergency paper by the sheet and only what I need at that time) until my birthday September 18.

I have enough to keep me busy for a very long time!!

Templates, Nesties, Cricut, Cuttlebug. Wood mounted stamps, unmounted stamps, paper, Copics...

Bonnie

I am subscribing to this thread for support.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveyouMostestView Post
As, I am shopping on Hobby Lobby on-line, it occured to me, "I think I have those charms?" I wonder where they are? Yes, I'm a very organized person, but never really to look BEHIND all my organized containers. Sure enough, I found what I called "colored charms", and I already had found the "charms" conainer. What was I thinking when I just placed an order at Bunny Zoe's site (GREAT SITE BTW), for more charms. All I really wanted to order was finally the Raffia Lace which I have been searching high and low for it.

OK....so here is where I must start my petition. It is time to stop buying and organizing and get to creating and enjoying my CRAFTS.

So, I, Sheila Pavelec, promise to not buy anything new for cards and scrapbooking and promise to utilize my STASH! (I know, I didn't say for how long, oh my I'm shaking (LOL), I'm not sure if I can put a time frame on it). (I'll close the site when I just look at hair pins, PROMISE). Ok, I can do it!!

Sheila Pavelec

Crumbs I went to your gallery and saw your beatiful work. I also saw Princess Tilda. I want her very bad. But I am not buying anything new.

Bonnie

Last edited by Stampnf1n; 05-02-2010 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I will sign this......but only AFTER June 12th! The reason? That date I will be back home in the UK after 3 wonderful weeks vacationing in the USA! (I am a Brit!) I have already payed in advance for extra luggage weight on the flight home so the way I see it, If I don't spend at LEAST every other day in a Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joann Fabrics, Tuesday morning etc, I will actually be LOSING money! Getting Soooooo excited now that I am finding it hard to sleep! All that glorious stash......................mmmmmm!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Totally understand about traveling to the USA!!

I will also meet you with September 18th. Husband's birthday is the 14th.

Bonnie, pm'd you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #6  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Ha!! Oh I admire you!! But I gave up buying crafty stuff for Lent so I'm still "recovering" by buying everything in sight!!

God speed on your oath!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For over a year now I have only replenished cardstock. Recently I had a workshop and earned a couple sets so am happy to have new stamp sets.

So yes, it can be done! And it is liberating. Go hard, girls!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I'm signing no such thing, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not happening here either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I love the dissident voice! LOL

I'll sign it after my order in May since I'm hostess this month of my SU club; so I gotta bump up sales to get the stamp set I want on a level 2 hostess set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Nope
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I, Chautona Havig, do solemnly swear to stop buying anything related to stamping or paper crafting the MOMENT... the very second I have spent the last dime to own everything I'll ever need to make cool beans stuff.

Sorry, I'm a newbie and don't have much... and well... I wanted to participate! I am very sincere too. I have great will power. I won't let myself be tempted once I've fulfilled my vow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I just promise to ruthlessly evaluate any potential purchase to determine if I really NEED it and will use it or just think it's darn cute - not my style, wouldn't use it, won't buy it, but it's just darn cute?

A friend is having a garage sale and I just sorted out a 12" tall stack of paper and cardstock I don't like, a medium plastic bin of stamps, ribbon, and doodads I don't like or don't use, and also decided to get rid of 90% of my pigment inkpads (small and large). I'm in a mindset to be more careful about my purchases, but just can't cut myself off altogether!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Count me in! I, Melissa, agree to not spend a dime on paper crafting till the new SU catalog comes out

This year, I have not bought a single paper crafting item at Hobby Lobby or Michaels (and I used to do weekly trips to Michaels). I'm also backing out of the Unity KOM club for now - I have so many great stamps with them and need to use them before I start getting them again!

I also just sold off a BUNCH of stuff on eBay. It was disgusting. Too much consumption and organizing - not enough crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissainkView Post
Count me in! I, Melissa, agree to not spend a dime on paper crafting till the new SU catalog comes out

This year, I have not bought a single paper crafting item at Hobby Lobby or Michaels (and I used to do weekly trips to Michaels). I'm also backing out of the Unity KOM club for now - I have so many great stamps with them and need to use them before I start getting them again!

I also just sold off a BUNCH of stuff on eBay. It was disgusting. Too much consumption and organizing - not enough crafting!

Ugh! This is ME! I just dropped some change over at the Sizzix site getting a new bag and some alphas and some die holders. And I know in June I will be ordering SU stuff when we demos can preorders. Then there is the new catty in July...and then....and then....and then....LOL

But after that, I was thinking the same thing...I need to cut back! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
[/B]

Ugh! This is ME! I just dropped some change over at the Sizzix site getting a new bag and some alphas and some die holders. And I know in June I will be ordering SU stuff when we demos can preorders. Then there is the new catty in July...and then....and then....and then....LOL

But after that, I was thinking the same thing...I need to cut back! LOL
I know, right? It's so easy to get caught up in wanting the latest and greatest thing, but it comes at me faster than I can use it.

I'm mailing off my final eBay sales tomorrow. It's bittersweet, but I know I can better appreciate what I have if I don't have so freaking much of it!

The military spouses group also run a consignment shop on base. I've taken lots of older/heavier items there - tons of old stickers, patterned paper, and non-SU punches. I've had a lot of success there too.

I also donated nearly ALL my scraps (cardstock and patterned paper) to my son's school. Oh, it felt so good to unload that and know that some classrooms will enjoy it.

I have hardly any single stamps now - aside from a precious few, I rarely use them. So, I finally let them all go. The line of wood-mounted stamps at Hobby Lobby doesn't even tempt me anymore. I like sets.

I wasn't excited about the color renovation that SU decided upon (oh, Bold Brights, I loved you so much as is), but it really made me sit down and evaluate my ink stash. I owned every ink (not in colors, just ALL the others) and easily decided to ditch the unopened ones that were retiring. Then I compared the ones retiring that I love with the new colors - only decided to keep seven of them. Not bad! I thought I'd struggle a lot more there.

Still have TONS and TONS of stuff, but I've really been purging AND - most importantly - not adding. I'm not going to kid myself, though, when that new catalog comes out ... I'm going to want to indulge a bit Nothing inspires me (and gets my consumerist going) like a new Stampin' Up catalog

You know what, not making those $20 runs to Michaels and Hobby Lobby all the time - it adds up. I can indulge in the new catty (and am saving for an SLR camera) and won't have an ounce of guilt about it. Wahoo to NOT BUYING ... for a while ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by leelulumpkinView Post
I will sign this......but only AFTER June 12th! The reason? That date I will be back home in the UK after 3 wonderful weeks vacationing in the USA! (I am a Brit!) I have already payed in advance for extra luggage weight on the flight home so the way I see it, If I don't spend at LEAST every other day in a Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joann Fabrics, Tuesday morning etc, I will actually be LOSING money! Getting Soooooo excited now that I am finding it hard to sleep! All that glorious stash......................mmmmmm!!!!
This made me laugh so hard - already paid in advance for extra luggae weight!!! I so love that! That would be me, for sure!! Where are you visiting in the US? Hope you have a wonderful time and find many wonderful crafty bargains!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Default Last year when the economy tanked.....

I vowed to buy only adhesive. I have so much stuff.

Well, that lasted about six months and those darn nestibilities reared their head. What was I to do????

T.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Gasp...gasp what do you mean??? Buy no stash?! Ain't happening here. But good luck to you all. You are far more sensible than I am.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been holding on to all my receipts and adding them up every month. YIKES! Talk about an eye-opener! I now try to seriously consider all my purchases these days and try to keep myself on the straight and narrow. Can I give up purchasing altogether? No. I did it for Lent a few years ago and I ended up going nuts right after Easter (like $700 nuts in just 2 weeks!) thus totally missing the point of Lent. But I am trying to cut down and it is great to know I am not the only one who is feeling overwhelmed with all the stuff out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Default struggling on the petiton

I am trying not to buy much for my personal use, but I still get to buy some things for my church group I teach :p. I try to use alot of my stash for the group to help keep the cost down. I will have to think hard about the stamps I own but either don't use or use very little and remove them...but the petition.....NOPE!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Since I'm about to place an order for Artistic Outpost stamps as well as Eat Cake Graphics and Purple Onion Designs and soon for PTI, I think it might be a tad bit hypocritical of me to sign a no buying of craft items petition. Oh, and I forgot about the purple ribbon I ran out of tonight that I need to replace, and...and...and...

It's a nice thought, though. I applaud your effort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 02:03 AM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Two thoughts here:
First, like another poster, I have quit those weekly trips to the craft stores with coupon in hand. I no longer cruise the aisles looking for the most expensive thing that I want just so I can redeem a coupon. I am saving tons of money as a result. (We all know that we never buy just one thing.) Now, I only go if I need a cutting blade. I use the coupon, buy the one item, and walk out.
Second, did you see the "Stamp to Spend" challenge here on SCS? I joined it last year. I wasn't terribly successful, but some people were.
The basic idea is that you put a dollar value on each card you make; each scrapbook page; each altered item. Then, you keep track of how much money worth of stuff you've made, and you aren't supposed to buy anything until you have enough money accumulated to buy it. You post it in your signature. My spending (mainly in the Stampin Up catalog) far outweighed what I made, but it did actually work for some people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #24  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

I will need to have my lawyer review said document before I consider signing any such thing...that may take a while, and then I could run out of something in the mean time and need to purchase something new to replace it.

Sounds like a vicious cycle, doesn't it?

In my defense, I have cut WAY back on my spending- and NEVER hit the LSS with coupon in hand any more!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Won't happen. Just when I think I don't have another inch to put anything, I already own almost everything in the world, can't possibly use what I have let alone more stuff, something wonderful comes out and I just HAVE to have it. Since I don't drink or smoke or eat out much, don't go to movies, don't do drugs or sailors, I figure I need some kind of vice or I'd be perfect and people would hate me. Thusly, I will spend when and what I want with only my cats to complain if I don't have enough money to buy them catfood. Sorry. Good luck to those who are joining, though. I've gone through months where I didn't buy anything -- but where's the fun in that?

Cindy/CA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I want to sign this petition, I really do and looking around my stamping room- it looks like I have enough stuff for at least 2 lifetimes but I have stopped all impulse shopping in Jan.this year. DH is so proud of me- that he has given me a couple hundred dollars, 2 times since Jan. to spend on crafting supplies. I have been on a budget since starting this craft 5 years ago.. I only get 20.00/week to my hobby and DH gets the same for his hobby. We live on a strict budget. DH says in the next couple months he wants to take me on an impulse shopping spree- but I keep telling I prefer the bonuses because I can then get things I really want instead of that impulse crap. I don't see being able to sign this because I am always looking for certain stamp sets or other supplies. I always stay within my budget (but love those bonuses- every 2 months). I have found that stopping my impulse shopping has helped alot. Maybe next year, I will be able to sign a petition but with DS finally getting a tad older and I can play more with my crafts and don't want to hinder my creativity. I had to take 2 years off from my hobby due to my Son being born- he is finally 2 and I can play a couple hours a day now.

I do pledge to stop any and all impulse buys, everything I want goes on a wish-list, and when I have enough money saved from my budget, and still want that such item I can purchase it. I will not go over budget for anything. All things wanted, are worth saving for!

This is best I can do-- maybe next year I can change my pledge.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Default No Way

I will not make this promise, I will Not I will Not, I have too much fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm proud of all of you...with your honesty and your ability to at least try.

If you guys haven't seen all my stuff, please check out my Gallery. I posted "MY HAVEN" and believe me this was months ago and I can only tell you, that things are now on the floor and need places for them! I've added a table to accomodate the 3 yes THREE cutting boards. I've hidden so many papers, and every MS punch possible. And, I just recently purchased the update to SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot), and now I have the ability to "FREE" Nestabilities. Now, you would think, sell your others. I even asked my husband regarding selling some of my belongings...and he even said, well, what if one day you will need them!! Of course, he and my son are BIG, BIG, ok HUGE GI Joe Collectors (numberless, over 250 GI Joe men alone, and that doesn't include all the different vehicles in different sizes). So, I guess you can call this home a hoarder, but I would be happy to show pictures of my home, and I promise you, I don't have piles, I have organized STUFF!

I am happy to say, I almost made a purchase yesterday, and I just started this thread yesterday. I thought I NEED hat pins, Cricut cutting mats, and a new blade. Although I searched for the best deals...I DID NOT PURCHASE. It's only been one day and I'm resisting these purchases.

I, Sheila, am still trying NOT TO PURCHASE until September 14th. But, does it count if I do need a new Cricut mat & blade??? LOL

Thanks again for all for their support!!!

P.S. Whoever got me started on Magnolia stamps...what were they thinking? LOL J/K

Also, why is it I HAD to buy all the $1.00 stamps, and every Bella? And, have I used them? I also went through a stage with digital so I can not tell you how many digital stamps alone I have. For a couple years, I spent my time in bed through botched surgeries, and now Fibromyalgia. My computer came to bed with me and this is when I started my buying binge. Now, that I am better, it's time to use what I have and no more Michael & Hobby Lobby trips every week & sometimes not looking at the Gallery to see, oh what am I missing.

OK...that's it! LOL

I'm saving my money for Europe now!!!

ok...one more thing! My blog and the lack of more images: http://www.scrappingall.blogspot.com

Last edited by LoveyouMostest; 05-03-2010 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Added more info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I will join. Of course I waited until after I placed my Gina K order. I do have exceptions since I am a part of a SU Club through July and am taking Copic 101 and102 classes in June and July (2 classes in total). Outside of those commitments I will not spend any more money on craft items.

I, Carla C, promise to not buy any new craft items until August 1, 2010 (except for commitments to my current SU Club and 3 Copics for each of my Copic 101 and 102 classes). Any gift cards received during this break period can be used to purchase craft items without violating the terms of this agreement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I will sign but...I dont think I could hold out for more than a week...a few days would even be hard...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes