Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-02-2004, 08:33 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving

I am getting ready to move from Virginia to Kentucky. I own all of the Stampin' Up ink pads and markers as well as numerous stamp sets.

How should I move my stuff?
If on the moving van, it will be there for approx. 4 days. Does anyone know if that's a good idea? I've thought about moving it myself, but have limited space in the mini-van. Has anyone moved with their stampin' up collection? Any ideas? I really appreciate any and all suggestions.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2004, 08:53 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

I moved last summer and my pads and stamps were in a storage facility without air conditioning for 6 weeks in TEXAS. Needless to say my pads were a bit dry and my double alpha got messed up a bit. The foam isn't sticking anymore. The letters are coming off. So if you have a change....protect your babies!!!! We didn't have the chocie of a door to door move...

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2004, 08:54 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Oh My Gosh

When I moved here from Arizona a couple of months ago I had to put my stuff on the truck for a week and a half as there were multiple families on the same truck and we would have to wait for our turn to get everything!

I was a mess!!!!! But I went out and bought a ton of tupperware type storage systems and put my ink pads in a tub like this, making sureon the truck they stored it the right way (they thought i was insane). I had all of my stamp sets inventoried and in the big flat tubs (it took two but it should have been in three). Then all of my othere stuff was organized in my plastic drawers and made sure it was pretty full so they wouldnt rattle around. THen the movers just taped it shut so the drawers stayed closed. The paper was in filing crates so that was already protected. Anythin and everything I had for stamping was sealed in one way or another. I got everything here ok except for a glad container of glitter. That one got crushed somehow and left a trail all the way up the stairs and all over the dog and everything. But they way I thought was, if that was my biggest problem, I am doing great.

Hope this helps you some! This way definitely made life easier for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2004, 09:01 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Default Thank you

Beate and Rebecca, thank you! I have two weeks before the packers come and I just want to be ready. Thank you so much. I will begin packing my stampin' stuff this weekend.

Allene Frederick
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2004, 09:02 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have not yet moved my stamping supplies (will in less than a year tho). Question is do you have packers or are you packing them? I had packers for our move from Hawaii to the mainland. Talk about anxiety - I had TONS of Creative Memories and other scrapbooking supplies not to mention my Precious Moments that I collect. We had not option to bring things back ourselves so I packed up my albums and photos myself. I had already put most everything else in boxes and bags that I had the movers put inside more boxes. I watched them like a hawk so that they did not unpack the boxes I packed. I just made sure everything was very sturdy and secure and would not move around. They say if you pack them then they are not responsible SO I showed them what I had done and asked them to put most of it in another box. They then agreed that my packing was ok. IF you pack and they do not see what you did then they may make comments that it was packed by the owner and it will NOT be covered if something happens to them. I would say put your pads in something that will hold them secure and upside down etc and make sure they know that is the way they should be in the boxes. Otherwise they will arrive who knows which way! I would put things in rubbermaid type boxes the way you would want them stored and have them WRAP the containers and ship that way. Just my thoughts. I am hoping to have a trailer myself (as long as we are saying on the mainland) so that I can take most of my stampin and scrapbookin stuff.
Best of luck to you
Shelley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2004, 09:10 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

OH one more thought - you might put your stamp sets in a containter, have them wrap the container instead of just taping (that way you dont have sticky tape spots after removing and it is more protected as well) and ask them to "Top Load" those so they dont get smashed.
That is my last thought - and as sparklinbecks said they may think you are nuts but we have found if we feed them well and keep them drinking sodas they tend to not care so much if you are nuts or not!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2004, 09:16 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Thats what my plan was! I fed them very well and kept them hydrated! Everything was fine! I didnt have any issues with my stuff getting smushed or sticky spots from the tape, but ican see what you mean
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2004, 10:20 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Default THanks

Thank you for the responses. This is my first move. I'm nervous about all of our belongings. I'll make sure I have plenty of food and drrinks and I'll try not to seem too demanding!

Thank you all!

Allene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2004, 10:34 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Default DON'T DO IT!!

Okay ~ horror story about movers coming. When I moved the movers completely ignored my boxes marked "Fragile" and "This Side Up" they had no regard for my stuff. They broke my vaccuum and my favorite Halloween decoration and stole some of my stuff. It's a horrible nightmare that is still going on. I submitted a claim, but haven't seen a thing. (note to self: write BBB next week while on vacation). Thank goodness I had the premise of mind to take all my stamp stuff with me in my car. I moved from CA to North Carolina in a Nissan Sentra. My daughter, two cats, what was left of our clothes (I made her throw out clothes that wouldn't fit or were worn and I'm not a clothes horse), and all my SU stuff. If push had come to shove I would have UPS'd my SU stuff before I would have put it on that moving van. There was no way I was letting them touch it, but I know UPS can do the job ~ they do it daily with our precious orders.

Oh ~ last tip ~ TIP!! TIP BIG!! The more you tip, the better your stuff will be protected. I didn't tip what was asked (he asked for $100, I tipped $75 and my brand new electric griddle was stolen to compensate for the difference). Check the company's history and make sure to get outside insurance, it's worth it. I wish I had had it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2004, 04:34 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

My stamps and inks and supplies were in storage for 2 months but we moved from Oregon to Alaska at the end of Nov. Big difference except for the damp. If ya have hte room tho, take what is most precious. If not, watch them carefully. Don't nag tho as that backfires in a big way.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes