Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #41
Inking Addict

Default No kits for me

The kits too often have too much stuff that I don’t care for. I’m too frugal to throw it out so I end up stashing stuff I’m never going to use. I could spend my valuable time trying to find a place to donate to but around my area I find that assisted living facilities, schools, etc. are not that excited about getting this stuff either. I’m better off just spending my money on the products I really want - I always have a wish list going on multiple websites.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
pepperann, dmcg, DianeinSparks and 1 others like this post.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #42
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNacho View Post
Home Shopping Network. It was originally a television shopping channel, but of course now you can access them online, too. I'm not sure whether you can see it in Canada, or if they will ship to you from their website.

Sweet, thanks
Old 05-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #43
Mad Swapper

Okay...who mentioned Queen and Co? You are in trouble. I've been looking at those and will not be able to resist much longer. So cute!

Edited: Went back and checked...Heidi. So much trouble.

Hang on. Let me overthink this.

pepperann and howdyheidi like this post.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #44
Gallery Gazer

Okay, I have been impatiently waiting for my Paper Pumpkin and it came today. I do love the style , particularly the stamp set. But I wasn’t expecting the notecards to be quite so small... maybe I am asking too much from a kit and I guess they have usually been smaller than a regular A4 card but it struck me as rather small. So I will probably cut them apart, mat and mount on regular sized cardstock for A4.

Anyway, I am delighted to have something to play with when the yard work I see done!
kazeka likes this post.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #45
Proud Fan Club Member

I am very glad you started this thread and I subbed it. Thank you!

Kits do feel like the craze now-not a new idea, but everybody seems to be doing them now. This is a good discussion about the pros and cons. I have poked into some of the companies-shipping is very different-from free in the US to like 3.99 to 7 dollars.

I never like all of anything in simple stamp sets so I am not about to try whole kits. And I am too swiss cheese brain to remember to look at/cancel sets I really dont want.

What I like about hero is usually they offer some of the elements singly and then I grab those. I tend to like their BG stamps. (6x6)

I have a limited budget so I am not using those dollars on someone else's ideas. I have a perfectly good overlong wishlist going I can cherry pick from.
cardmaker2, kazeka and DianeinSparks like this post.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #46
Stazon Splitcoast

Loved reading through this thread, since I've been curious about kits. I'm still undecided.
U have just found a new box coming out from A Cherry on Top. It is called "The Cherry Box". I'm sharing the link I found with some of the 'unveiling' videos, as this coming month will be their first. Looks like a mix that could go between card and scrapbooking too.

Goals - Scrap: Oct 5/15

Scrapbook Inspiration Challenge - IFH19OCT

Old 05-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #47
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyBeth View Post
Okay...who mentioned Queen and Co? You are in trouble. I've been looking at those and will not be able to resist much longer. So cute!

Edited: Went back and checked...Heidi. So much trouble.

Sorry! I actually haven’t gotten one yet but they look so fun, and are very much outside what I usually make. Which would make a good kit, I think!

Designs for I Brake for Stamps
NerdyBeth likes this post.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #48
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniePanda View Post
Loved reading through this thread, since I've been curious about kits. I'm still undecided.
U have just found a new box coming out from A Cherry on Top. It is called "The Cherry Box". I'm sharing the link I found with some of the 'unveiling' videos, as this coming month will be their first. Looks like a mix that could go between card and scrapbooking too.

I like ACOT as a store, but I watched a couple of the unboxing videos, and what it looks like to me is one stamp set plus a bunch of old stock... and no indication that anyone is getting the same contents in their boxes.

That's not a kit, it's a grab bag.

And considering shipping isn't part of the price, I didn't really see a whole lot of value in this "kit" for how old some of the supplies are... and for how close a Tuesday Morning store is to me.

Last edited by SkyNacho; 05-19-2019 at 07:49 PM..
pepperann and TeeGeeDee like this post.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #49
Glitter Guru

Queen & Co. isn’t that much my style, but they are the nicest people. I had a question once, called, talked to an owner who invited me to call back or email, and emails get answered quickly. They always have a booth at Stamp & SB Expos, and again, they’re so nice despite their booth always crammed full of customers. An LSS that used to be here sold a lot of their products - high quality.
pepperann likes this post.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #50
Mad Swapper

Heidi...I agree! I think the kits are cute and something I normally wouldn't do either.

I think the kits I'm drawn to have items in them that aren't in my stash. I really don't need anymore stamps or paper, but shaker kits? Not something I'm already surrounded by.

Hang on. Let me overthink this.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #51
Cardstock Collector

Default Love the Tonic Kits of the month

The Tonic Kits are filled with all types of goodies: dies, stamps, luxury paper, glitter, blending brushes, embossing powder, embossing paste, glue, pens, etc.. Since I started buying these kits my skills have just quickly grown. I watch the tutorials on YouTube then go to town working with my kit. If you don’t like surprises they preview the next kit on YouTube generally right after they send out the current month. I don’t think you will be disappointed. Also the dies and stamps come in a sturdy folder. Every three months they include a binder to put them in. Keeps everything together and sorted.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:14 PM   #52
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm always curious as to the reasons people subscribe to kits. I have so many supplies already that I am trying to use what I already have so usually pick and choose my stamps, papers etc. to fill in where needed.

Do most of you buy kits to increase your stash? Is it mainly for the ideas? Do you buy them so that everything is coordinated?
I've tried Paper Pumpkin a few times but, although I liked the small stamp sets, and the ideas, I already owned the ink pad colors. I didn't care for the non-cardmaking kits and ended up giving those to my daughter. There were a couple of card kits that I either saw or got as a gift, but the cards were pre-printed and very much like store purchased ones in their designs.

Also have a couple of SSS kits, and one or two Hero Arts kits that I won. I like the stamps and the specialty products in my Hero Arts kit (like unusual embossing powder etc), but haven't really used the papers in any of the kits yet.

So, just wondering why you would buy a kit, as opposed to buying separate items?
Thanks!

Karen
dmcg and cookie1031 like this post.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #53
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazeka View Post
I'm always curious as to the reasons people subscribe to kits. I have so many supplies already that I am trying to use what I already have so usually pick and choose my stamps, papers etc. to fill in where needed.

Do most of you buy kits to increase your stash? Is it mainly for the ideas? Do you buy them so that everything is coordinated?

So, just wondering why you would buy a kit, as opposed to buying separate items?Thanks!Karen

Hi Karen, I have purchased kits in the past to save money if I'm only wanting enough of what's in the kit and will not make those items again, or to increase my stash or to get ideas or to placate the muse when it came and I just wanted to craft without too much thought.

Normally I scan SCS or Pinterest for ideas and then use my own items. After crafting with paper for more than 15 years I have a pretty good idea of what I like and now I buy things that fit my style more than for any other reason. Having said that, let me say that I am not oppose to buying a kit from time to time IF it really sparks my creativity.
kazeka and bjeans like this post.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #54
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

I've tried Paper Pumpkin a few times but, although I liked the small stamp sets, and the ideas, I already owned the ink pad colors. I didn't care for the non-cardmaking kits and ended up giving those to my daughter. There were a couple of card kits that I either saw or got as a gift, but the cards were pre-printed and very much like store purchased ones in their designs.

Also have a couple of SSS kits, and one or two Hero Arts kits that I won. I like the stamps and the specialty products in my Hero Arts kit (like unusual embossing powder etc), but haven't really used the papers in any of the kits yet.

So, just wondering why you would buy a kit, as opposed to buying separate items?
Thanks!

Karen

The reasons I bought kits was to take some on vacation with me; to have something to stamp when I'd drive my girls somewhere and would have to wait an hour or so; and for the fun of getting surprise happy mail. Sometimes I like to have something to make that doesn't require me to think hard about the design process.

When my girls were very small, about 16 years ago, I subscribed to Club Scrap and I still get nostalgic about how happy that monthly box made me. I was/am a SAHM and, at the time, the three of them were all under 4 years old. I took them to a once a week Mother's Morning Out program for 4 hours and I spent those 4 hours happily scrapbooking photos of my girls using those kits. I still have the Scrap Raps newsletters from those kits and just reading them takes me back to a sweet time of life. I miss how little and cute my girls were and I miss how precious my crafting time felt!
pepperann, kazeka, cookie1031 and 3 others like this post.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #55
Gallery Gazer

I've bought a couple of kits because that was the only way to get the stamps or dies in it.

I like some of the SU kits, including paper pumpkin kits that make cards, because they are easy and compact to travel with. Like, if I go to a cabin on the lake for a week, I would take kit with me to have something to do if it's pouring rain. It's easier and faster to pack than assembling all the pieces myself.

I will also buy kits like Simon's if I love the components, AND if when I do the math the kit's a better deal for the parts I like.

When I scrapped, I subscribed to The Scraproom. It was 4 mini kits and I liked it because I got four relatively current paper lines, cardstock, and a smattering of embellishments (divided up from full packs). That was enough for me to do 1-2 layouts and the move on to the next paper, and which was good for someone like me who never uses a full line or full pack of anything.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #56
Polyshrink Goddess

Nicole,
I used to buy the Club Scrap kits when there were on sale, but didn't actually subscribe. Even without subscribing, I ended up with at least 10 kits, and a lot of their stamps over the years. Loved the quality card stock and neutral colors and designs that worked with all photos.

I can't believe that I never used a single one of those kits to make layouts, but mainly broke up the kit for layouts from scratch. I do have a couple of them that are all together in the original box, and should pull one out and do some quick and easy scrapping. I have so many old photos from when my kids were small, and never scrap anymore.

The kits would probably really streamline it and make me motivated again!
Karen
pepperann, Paula in GA and Club Scrap01 like this post.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #57
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmaker2 View Post
Okay, I have been impatiently waiting for my Paper Pumpkin and it came today. I do love the style , particularly the stamp set. But I wasn’t expecting the notecards to be quite so small... maybe I am asking too much from a kit and I guess they have usually been smaller than a regular A4 card but it struck me as rather small. So I will probably cut them apart, mat and mount on regular sized cardstock for A4.

Anyway, I am delighted to have something to play with when the yard work I see done!

I also found the cards in their kits to be really small, which bothered me. I like to work in an A2 size and anything smaller than that feels like a gift enclosure!
Karen
Old 09-09-2019, 04:48 AM   #58
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Nicole,
I used to buy the Club Scrap kits when there were on sale, but didn't actually subscribe. Even without subscribing, I ended up with at least 10 kits, and a lot of their stamps over the years. Loved the quality card stock and neutral colors and designs that worked with all photos.

I can't believe that I never used a single one of those kits to make layouts, but mainly broke up the kit for layouts from scratch. I do have a couple of them that are all together in the original box, and should pull one out and do some quick and easy scrapping. I have so many old photos from when my kids were small, and never scrap anymore.

The kits would probably really streamline it and make me motivated again!
Karen

Oh yes, Club Scrap cardstock was VERY nice! Can I admit here without any judging (but feel free to laugh) that I used to smell the paper and run my hands over it when I first took the sheets out of the box?

I broke my kits up. I still have elements from some kits and I just mix and match. It does take longer to scrapbook that way, though. Several years ago, Club Scrap began publishing layouts to create with their kits that used up pretty much everything. That was a genius idea! I bet you could find them if you did a search. That would be so fun to scrapbook old photos of my girls, but I also would probably cry!
Old 10-03-2019, 05:00 AM   #59
Kookie Creator

I asked the newly opned YMCA if they wanted a box of scraps( all neatly cut, no tiny pieces) and they were delighted to have it. Scraps collected over 2 years( huge box) I have taken box to an elementary school and I knew they could use it, never heard back.
I have bought monthly kits from various companies over the years. I don't need any, have plenty of supplies. I do like to see what kits are available, sometimes impulse buys are good : ]

Last edited by STYXROCKSME; 10-03-2019 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: .
Old 10-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #60
Cardstock Collector

My main reason for using Club Scrap kits is efficiency. I can get eight layouts trimmed and assembled in about an hour. All I need in addition to the kit is a trimmer, scissors and adhesive. I can scrap almost anywhere. Once the layouts are done, it takes approximately another hour to find, crop and add photos. When it comes to crops, I pack so much lighter, and as far as completing layouts, I run circles around everyone else in the room. Their card kits are similar: I can complete twelve greeting cards in under 2 hours. I can always do my own thing if I'm feeling extra creative, but I'm getting photos onto pages and into my scrapbooks, which is kind of the goal of this hobby, right? LOL