Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #81
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
When I started stamping/scrapbooking 20 years ago, my friends and I attended all the conventions that came to our area, as well as conventions in Vegas and Oregon. We would be so excited about all the products, make n takes, and classes... we shopped and shopped and shopped, we simply lost our minds! We had to have that, couldn't do without that, needed that tool, more paper 10 sheets for $1, bling, markers, glitter, embossing powder in every color and so on... NEVER again. Over the years I let a lot of those items go. I didn't use them, didn't need them, didn't like them, and why did I buy that and what in the hell was I thinking?
I still attend conventions twice a year. Like grocery shopping I have a shopping list for specific products that I USE. As for new products, I'll do make n takes to try the products and leave it at that. If a product has left an impression on me (days after the show) I'll go online seek out video tutorials, seek it out in art supplies, as well as in craft supplies to compare prices before I purchase it.
You made me laugh, partly in recognition - though on a smaller level. I went to a Stamp & Scrapbook Expo and thank goodness I worked registration for a bunch of it and was in a classes at other times, so shopping was minimized, or I would have bought so much more. As it is every time I look see this white and red tiger striped paper pack standing there with my other 8.5x11 cardstock, I shake my head. It seemed so important at the time. I haven't opened it. Maybe I'll use a sheet someday. Or I'll donate it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
gregzgurl, Arlene_C and StamperDea like this post.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #82
Crimping Master

These comments sound familiar to me too. It takes awhile to get a handle on all that and stop buying it. My struggle now is all the beautiful stamp sets that are coming out and these very talented designers making these beautiful cards. I unsubscribed from all blogs a few months ago but find myself wandering back and looking at them again. I need a minder.
gregzgurl and StamperDea like this post.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #83
Pearl-ExPert

Loved this video! The place where I know I would get hung up are stamps. I have stamps I have never used and don't know what I was thinking when I bought them. But I vacillate between telling myself I should get rid of them and telling myself I should explore how I could use them, that maybe it's just a matter of getting out of my comfort zone.

But thanks Bohodiva, for linking this! I've never considered the idea of "dread" when looking at my craft stuff. But there's definately stuff I look at and feel guilty or anxious about. (Maybe all those stamps I think I SHOULD use... ).
gregzgurl and StamperDea like this post.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #84
Crimping Master

That old saying about "The tyranny of the shoulds" seems to apply to stampy stuff.
gregzgurl likes this post.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #85
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I am the opposite of a minimalist! Not a hoarder but maybe a low level pack rat? Clutter doesn't bother me but each thing I have/keep has to have a purpose. I've thought about getting rid of some stuff like older SU! sets but then I'll decide to play in a challenge that perfectly suits a set I might have gotten rid of! I do have some supplies I'd like to off load but it's hard to find someone willing to pay shipping from Canada. Anyone know of any reputable BST sites for Canada?
Old 02-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #86
Crimping Master

Don't know that. With the recycled rubber program in one LSS shop I know of, if the stuff doesn't sell within three months the owner can come and get the it back or agree to have it donated to a women's shelter, church, or other charity. If it can't be sold maybe it could be donated. There are places that use these things in their various programs and there would be a tax write off. Maybe too much and too valuable to give away though.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #87
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I am the opposite of a minimalist! Not a hoarder but maybe a low level pack rat? Clutter doesn't bother me but each thing I have/keep has to have a purpose. I've thought about getting rid of some stuff like older SU! sets but then I'll decide to play in a challenge that perfectly suits a set I might have gotten rid of! I do have some supplies I'd like to off load but it's hard to find someone willing to pay shipping from Canada. Anyone know of any reputable BST sites for Canada?
I presume you know of the BST here, you put the Canadian maple leaf icon in the margin. As a Canadian, I look now and then for people either from Canada or willing to ship to Canada.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #88
Hardware Hotshot

Another thought: there are Facebook groups dedicated to selling scrapbook stuff, and another dedicated to clear stamps. There are also localized groups to sell stuff.
Maybe there's a Canadian one; I don't know. If not, you could start one.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #89
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie718View Post
Martha, would you mind posting a link to where you found the values for donating craft supplies? I've searched but haven't found the specific prices you mentioned. Thanks very much!
As so many people do, I am using Turbo Tax. Those were the values that came up under the craft supplies section for itemizing charitable deductions.
That's all I know...

Old 02-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #90
Pearl-ExPert

I posted yesterday after watching the great video Bohodiva posted and I have to say I have been really thinking about it. I said in my earlier post that I thought stamps would be the hardest place to apply the "rules" because there are stamps I've never used, or rarely used, but I tell myself that maybe it's because I haven't tried hard enough.

This morning I started looking through my stamps with just the idea of deciding if I loved them. I was surprised at how many I have that I really feel meh about, and even some that I don't like at all! Do I dare purge to that level? What would it be like to love every single one of my stamps? I am just pondering.... Wow. Like I said, this thread has got me thinking.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-17-2017 at 03:20 PM..
gregzgurl, Arlene_C, auntangie and 1 others like this post.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #91
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I posted yesterday after watching the great video Bohodiva posted and I have to say I have been really thinking about it. I said in my earlier post that I thought stamps would be the hardest place to apply the "rules" because there are stamps I've never used, or rarely used, but I tell myself that maybe it's because I haven't tried hard enough.

This morning I started looking through my stamps with just the idea of deciding if I loved them. I was surprised at how many I have that I really feel meh about, and even some that I don't like at all! Do I dare purge to that level? What would it be like to love every single one of my stamps? I am just pondering.... Wow. This thread has really got me thinking.
One of my on-going projects is to un-mount wood stamps that I luv. I haven't used them because they were on wood and I couldn't re-stamp if I did not get a good impression the first time. Now that I have a HA stamp positioner I plan on using them and I'm very happy about that!
In addition, some of my wood mounts are similar to the new clear stamps being offered on the market.
lynnewithane, gregzgurl and Arlene_C like this post.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #92
Pearl-ExPert

I am definately going to start a new purge cycle. No more stamps that "might come in handy" or that "I bought so I ought to use."

Wonder how many will be left? :-0! I might end up an unwitting minimalist after all!
Brenda71, gregzgurl, Arlene_C and 2 others like this post.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:37 AM   #93
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
DeeAnn, so beautifully put, thank you. The 1960s and late '50s consumerism of my parents doesn't seem so different from how you describe consumerism of the 40's. While there were more modern conveniences, the big shift to buying more-More-MORE hadn't happened - at least not in my family and their circle.

Like your gardening-literary-music exception, my parents' exception was books and records. If my brother or I wanted one it was purchased, period. Um, except I was on my own for rock records when I was a teenager. There were also weekly library trips.

It wasn't until my 30s that I got over thinking something was missing and odd if someone's livingroom didn't have a wall of book cases. Now our living room does not have book cases; other rooms do.

A few years ago we donated over 1,000 books to our friends of the library group for their annual book sale. Purging was difficult at first - and then not. The books that remained feel more special.

We still have many books, but each earned its place: beloved childhood books, those that would be read more than once, be related to an interest/passion/work, or not lend themselves to being e-books. And I kept a couple series by favorite authors, though if I write the titles down most could go now.

With e-books being much easier on my eyes, instant and taking no space, DTB (dead tree book) buying is rare, though happens.
I donated over 7,000 books to my library a few years back. I love my books but I was so happy to do that. My books were in beautiful condition that the library put them on their shelves to be checked out. It is the best feeling in the world to see somebody check out one of my old books. I had a lot of craft books too so it was nice to fill up the libraries shelves that were anemic in that area.

Now, I have a closet full of books. It is a small closet that I converted into a miniature library. After it is read I usually donate. I only buy thrift store books now. Even though I did buy a copy of Hunger Games this week. My DH said to me "Would you just buy a copy of that book since you keep reading it."

Old 02-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #94
Pearl-ExPert

I went and watched Jen's (Origami Twist) original video on purging as well. Twice. Then I went in and started going through my stamps. I started with my three largest categories - Flowers, Birds and People and Faces. I started out kind of addicted to florals years ago, so it was my oldest category, while People and Faces is a recent thing for me. Wow. It was really hard to admit that I actually felt either entirely disinterested in so many of the floral stamps or actually found them unappealing (to me, I'm sure many others wouldn't feel this way about lots of them). But I tried to be entirely honest about it. Painful. Especially around those "Well, I don't love this, but it might come in handy," stamps and even more so around "I just bought these stamp less than a year ago, when I thought I was going to start working in this style and it never happened." I felt like an idiot for spending the money, but Jen has addressed that, she talks about how having these items causes you to literally have negative feelings when you enter your crafting space, so I bit the bullet and put them in the OUT box. (I think I am going to end up reading Marie Kondo, and when Sue started this thread it was the furthest thing from my mind.)

Still working on purging. But I have to think how to get rid of these stamps. I don't live near any other stampers, I have always worked all alone. Maybe there are some new stampers on the forum who would love to get a box of misc. stamps to go through and expand their collection.

I think I'll post on the forum asking if there is anyone just starting out who wants a box of surprises. I believe that people will be honest, and not claim to be new stampers or financially challenged just to get free stuff. It's just the SCS vibe. Nice people.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 02-18-2017 at 01:33 PM..
gregzgurl, StamperDea, maryalena and 1 others like this post.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #95
Crimping Master

Great that you are really being honest about your purging. I went through stages of kidding myself about my stash. I managed to dump all my embossing folders, all embellishments except for dots and sequins, most punches, and most of the patterned paper and ribbon. I was stuck on the wood. I just hadn't used more than half of my collection of wood mounted stamps, like for years. I had tried unmounting, reorganizing, etc. about two dozen. Unmounting was a waste of time for me even though I relabeled, cased, and indexed. I ended up using those stamps even less and throwing them out because they weren't even worth passing along. The truth was I couldn't really come up with a good look with any of them, although some were charming and fun to look at. Now I am picking my favorites that can actually work, keeping a few oddballs that just look kind of fun arranged on a shelf away from sunlight, some beautiful Magenta ones designed by a friend, and dumping the rest. The only ones I kept that really don't get used much but that I love are my collection of vegetable stamps. I just like to collect them and occasionally stamp one on the back of a card as kind of a signature. I'll check out the video. It's a rainy day and time to get some purging inspiration. Thanks for the added encouragement.
Brenda71, gregzgurl and Bohodiva like this post.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #96
Insane Embellisher

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
Great that you are really being honest about your purging. I went through stages of kidding myself about my stash. I managed to dump all my embossing folders, all embellishments except for dots and sequins, most punches, and most of the patterned paper and ribbon. I was stuck on the wood. I just hadn't used more than half of my collection of wood mounted stamps, like for years. I had tried unmounting, reorganizing, etc. about two dozen. Unmounting was a waste of time for me even though I relabeled, cased, and indexed. I ended up using those stamps even less and throwing them out because they weren't even worth passing along. The truth was I couldn't really come up with a good look with any of them, although some were charming and fun to look at. Now I am picking my favorites that can actually work, keeping a few oddballs that just look kind of fun arranged on a shelf away from sunlight, some beautiful Magenta ones designed by a friend, and dumping the rest. The only ones I kept that really don't get used much but that I love are my collection of vegetable stamps. I just like to collect them and occasionally stamp one on the back of a card as kind of a signature. I'll check out the video. It's a rainy day and time to get some purging inspiration. Thanks for the added encouragement.
Good for you!
I'm going through that phase and adding select products that I luv and I would work with.
I would keep the vegetable stamps.
I have some of Kat's (A Stamp In The Hand) vegetable and fruit stamps that I've had going back 15 yrs and they are classics.
And the resurgence of "farm to fork" awareness they would make great elements in projects...
Old 02-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #97
Insane Embellisher

so many of my stamps have never seen ink. I keep thinking when I retire in 11 years....but my upstairs I am looking at with different eyes and I purge bit by bit. my husband believes if you ever spent money on it you should keep it forever. just saying " I hate candles" it seems to be the go to gift whenever someone doesn't know what to buy....
BA, Brenda71 and gregzgurl like this post.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #98
Crimping Master

Wow I have those Stamp in the Hand stamps. They are my favs. I always wished I could find more of them. She did some pear stamps I liked but could never find them. I didn't know if anyone else remembered them. I also have some Karen Lockhart and some Rosie's Roadshow. My chile pepper stamps and my half dozen beet stamps are forever keepers too. Yes I do use them for food gifts and for neighbor gifts out of my garden. I wondered if there was anyone else out there that liked the foodie stamps.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #99
Crimping Master

Lori I think it's easier to purge after retirement. I never had time to do it when I was working and actually I didn't know what I would want to keep hobby wise until I actually retired and had time to evaluate it. Oddly I had time to shop for stuff though. It's easier for me because I live in a three bedroom house and share an office/crafty space with my husband. Both cars are in the garage and we don't have a basement or attic so I don't have big storage options. It's in my face and I'm guilted into it. I think it's harder if you have storage options and don't share a workspace.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #100
Pearl-ExPert

I just always figured that as long as I had room for the stuff, what was the harm in keeping it around since I had paid for it and it "might come in handy"? (That familiar old saw we so often fall victim to.)

But as I struggled emotionally with letting go of stamps, I also saw that every time I flipped past them when I was working on projects I got a hit of negativity. A blip would go through my head so fast that I didn't really hear it, but I'm sure it was affecting me -

"Well those were a waste of your good money."
"You bought those, you should be using them."
"You were such a moron for buying those."

It wasn't until I started looking at everything that I understood that this was happening. So, while the purge is emotional and hard, I can see how removing all that hidden negativity will in the end be a kind of freedom. At least that's how it feels at this point.
Brenda71, gregzgurl, Arlene_C and 4 others like this post.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #101
Crimping Master

That's exactly it for me, the hit of negativity. I found myself constantly moving and reorganizing the same stuff trying to make it work and it was just too much. I still have a few miles to go but I don't miss any of it. I was fortunate that I could send the better stuff to an LSS store friend out of state. She was able to sell it at a monthly recycled rubber event and add the profits to her store account. Hopefully somebody out there is having fun with it. She priced it low and maybe it allowed a few people who have very small craft budgets to enjoy this hobby.
jeaniebean55, gregzgurl, Arlene_C and 1 others like this post.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #102
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
As so many people do, I am using Turbo Tax. Those were the values that came up under the craft supplies section for itemizing charitable deductions.
That's all I know...
Thank you!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #103
Insane Embellisher

I started reading the tidy up book. my son in law said he read it at the urging/insistence. he said it worked great until they got to her closet and everything made her happy and she loved it even if she never has worn it! (she collect very high end vintage clothing).
StamperDea likes this post.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:28 AM   #104
Pearl-ExPert

I, also, bought and am reading the book. I NEVER thought that would happen!

And I am working away on my stamp purge using Jen's (Origami Twist) rules and here is what I have learned:

I own a lot of stamps that I bought because I thought I needed stamps in a certain category. This, I realize, escalated when I broke up my sets and arranged them by catergory (something I have never regretted doing, but it did apparently have this one negative side effect). Maybe it's the librarian in me. When you curate a library collection, you want to have adequate coverage in every Dewey Decimal range. But for stamping, it's a dumb idea. Ten stamps of antique cars, all of which are very nice but none of which I love personally? Or HAVE EVER USED. But once I labeled a panel "Transportation" I felt I had to fill it up. Ugh. So idiotic. Lesson learned.

I see that I bought a lot of stamps because I was taking one or another online course and I wanted to work with the exact same image as the demonstrator. So I would buy the set, and maybe only like the image the demo worked with and have no interest in any of the others.

I see that I have changed in my focus over the years. In the beginning I was a floral addict. Now I've moved on to other kinds of images, like birds and people. My floral collection was bloated with lots of floral stamps that have long expired for me.

I see that I bought a lot of stamps during my "What will be my coloring medium?" phase. When I believed that I had to love to color. That a really good crafter created beautiful cards by dint of the fact that she had done beautiful coloring work on her focal image. Now that I have accepted that coloring is not my favorite part of the process - design is - I can let go of stamps I bought only because they were good for coloring. And keep only those I love.

I did not, I see now, really believe that it was possible to have a stamp collection in which I loved all my images. Wouldn't it be skewed? Wouldn't it mean I wouldn't have something I might need for an occassion? But I now believe it. For me, especially, since my cards tend to be created as "generic" and then purposed as needed.

BTW, I don't think what Kondo teaches is strict minimalism. She doesn't say you can't have a lot of things, only that you should only have things you love and that serve you.
StamperDea and maryalena like this post.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #105
Forum Fanatic

[QUOTE=Rachelrose;21421482] I see that I bought a lot of stamps because I was taking one or another online course and I wanted to work with the exact same image as the demonstrator. So I would buy the set, and maybe only like the image the demo worked with and have no interest in any of the others.

I did not, I see now, really believe that it was possible to have a stamp collection in which I loved all my images. Wouldn't it be skewed? Wouldn't it mean I wouldn't have something I might need for an occasion? But I now believe it. For me, especially, since my cards tend to be created as "generic" and then purposed as needed. QUOTE]

So many of the stamps I purged were part of sets where I only used the 1 or 2 from the class. I even had sets where I bought it because I wanted 1 stamp and made some weird justification to allow me that extravagance.

I'm also a generic card maker and have gotten away from the "I'll buy this one because I can make it for___". Well you can't make the same card for that person over and over so the stamp would just sit. Another item for the purge bin. It's finally sunk into my slow-witted brain that I'm really fine with having limitations.
maryalena likes this post.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #106
Insane Embellisher

what is jen's origami twist?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #107
Glitter Guru

Rachelrose, loved the Dewey Decimal analogy! That doesn't apply to my buying too much (and I do), but I love the rationale. (And the Dewey Decimal system.)

I'm on the cusp of integrating that 50% off and 80% Off! For! Today! Only! do not mean I need to purchase whatever it is. So I'm deleting those emails with a take-that-ZAP-you're-gone-I-am-zapper-warrior-woman attitude. And am unsubscribing from some, even from some blogs I like.
BA likes this post.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #108
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lori92760View Post
what is jen's origami twist?
The name of her blog. : ) Origami Twist The video of the purging is hers.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #109
Insane Embellisher

do you have a link to the video
Old 02-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #110
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lori92760View Post
do you have a link to the video
Sure! And it's on post #79 on this thread. Bohodiva linked it (or I wouldn't have known about it!).
Old 02-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #111
Crimping Master

Jen did a video on purging craft supplies. You can google it.

These are such thought provoking comments. Interesting about having collections. I fixated on root vegetable stamps. Luckily there are aren't hundreds of them. I agree that Kondo isn't necessarily about minimalism. It became a byproduct once I started setting aside the stamps I wasn't drawn to. It helped to have a small shelf to display my little oddball collection of wood. It doesn't necessarily work on a card but it works as a display.

I found the Tidying concepts helpful in other ways. I may have a little bit of the Shinto in me as I am attracted to inanimate objects of the most humble kind. I was able to get my athletic sock collection down to a week's worth and I no longer wad two socks in a ball as a set. I even like her unused unloved objects need a good home theory. My socks were new and lonely so they went to a women's shelter.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #112
Insane Embellisher

thanks.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #113
Crimping Master

I somehow feel that if Simon Says Stamp sends me a $5 off coupon I have to use it..

It has helped somewhat to have a wish list. I find that if I enter an item on that list and don't immediately act on it, many times that item loses its charge for me and I end up crossing it off. The blogs are what stimulate my desire to buy and the only barrier between the order button and that new tail wagging stamp is my wish list.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #114
Pearl-ExPert

lori - she links to another video in the one above, where she talks about the method she uses (based on the Konmari method from the book). You wouldn't think just watching someone talk about purging craft supplies for 20 minutes would be interesting, but it is. So if you like the actual purging video, definately watch the method video.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #115
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
You just summed up my mother's garage "back in the day"... It didn't seem to matter how obscure the thing I needed might be, she had it and knew where it was. I used to be the same way, but I got over it! It still really irks me to put something in a landfill that could possibly be useful, but unless I have an idea for RIGHT NOW, I can't allow it to clutter my space...
Sue,

The landfill thing is my biggest problem too!!! After reading a short article on-line about clothes at a donation center, I am really starting to pay attention to the stuff I buy, even if it is only $1. For example: I never take free pens anymore, since I am so picky about the pens I use.
Brenda71, gregzgurl, Arlene_C and 1 others like this post.