Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making silver charms look old

Hi ladies. You were all so helpful with ideas for my last request so hoping you can help me with this one. Sometimes I find the shiny silver just spoils the look of my projects and needs to be toned down to give a more aged/vintage look. I did try Rub n Buff on some silver binder rings but it just rubbed off. Things like charms and clips etc, are the type of things I am meaning. Any ideas please?
thanks
Chrissie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I painted some with acrylic paint, sanded in spots when dry, then inked with a brown ink. I pressed into my embossing ink pad and sprinkled with clear embossing powder. After it's heated (and cooled) the ink doesn't rub off. I would guess you could do the same with Rub n Buff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's real silver, I've heard that you can tarnish it with bleach.

If it's a faux silver metal, you might try some Ranger alcohol ink in a dark brown or black shade. I used alcohol ink to color some copper flashing blue. It turned out really well. As long as it was wet, I could rub it off. It dried quickly and once dried the color stayed on without a problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I've changed the color of a lot of my charms using my copics (which are also an alcohol based ink) or heated embossing powder. I've had some limited success with indian ink but it does take a while to dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

If it's real silver there is something called liver of sulfur (sounds nasty, I know) that can be applied to tarnish it. Most bead supply stores will carry it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #6  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for silver binder rings I was going to suggest alcohol inks (ranger/tim holtz) also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

This looks easy to do.

Scroll down the page to see the buckles tarnished with a Sharpie and rubbing alcohol.

Ken's World in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
If it's real silver there is something called liver of sulfur (sounds nasty, I know) that can be applied to tarnish it. Most bead supply stores will carry it.
Trust me, it doesn't just "sound" nasty, lol! It really STINKS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I read somewhere that you can use vinegar to tarnish metals. Just dab it on with a cotton ball and let sit over night - the longer the more tarnished. If that doesn't work, I would use alcohol inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use a patina gel. I think you can get it at Michaels and the type I got came in a tube similar in looks to a tube of acrylic paint.

Last edited by Mrs.Q; 01-19-2012 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Thanks ladies. No, the items I would be wanting to change wouldn't be real silver. Being in Australia I'm not familiar with some of the things you have mentioned. I have tried painting some of the things I want to dull with acrylic paint and it seems ok but I am not sure it is going to stay on. I like the sound of the patina gel but haven't seen anything like that here. I will need to have a look. Thanks for your suggestions though.
Chrissie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I've used Copic markers with success as well. Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.QView Post
You can use a patina gel. I think you can get it at Michaels and the type I got came in a tube similar in looks to a tube of acrylic paint.
Hi there. What is the name of the Patina Gel you have? I've looked all over for such a thing - tarnishes brass, copper, silver, etc. = and have had no luck. Michael's or some other LCS would be great to find it in. Was it in the painting section? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 05:07 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovelabsView Post
Hi ladies. You were all so helpful with ideas for my last request so hoping you can help me with this one. Sometimes I find the shiny silver just spoils the look of my projects and needs to be toned down to give a more aged/vintage look. I did try Rub n Buff on some silver binder rings but it just rubbed off. Things like charms and clips etc, are the type of things I am meaning. Any ideas please?
thanks
Chrissie
The coloration you see in antique pieces is referred to as patina. Patina is the result of oxidation of the metal & can generate darkened areas in the details of the silver. You can generate this look in hours & days as opposed to the years of exposure it would take naturally.

Things You��ll need:
Egg -or- Liver of Sulfur (potassium sulfide)
Silver Items

Step1
Potassium Sulfide, or liver of sulfur, is a chemical that reacts with the surface of the silver. It creates a blackened area but through this chemical reaction it releases strong toxic fumes. it is strongly recommended to age your silver in a well ventilated area. Using an egg will accomplish virtually the same result but you may have to repeat the process several times. Aging your silver using an egg avoids having to work in a well ventilated area & most people keep eggs on hand.
Step2
If you pick to use liver of sulfur you will have better control over your results. You can purchase liver of sulfur from any chemical supply store. Start by breaking a small piece of the liver of sulfur off & putting in to about a cup of warm water. Using a smaller amount of sulfur will give you better regulation of how light or dark your silver becomes.
Step3
Rub the liver of sulfur solution on your silver in areas you require to see darkened. Typically the nooks & crannies of silver darken the most & the fastest naturally. six time you've rubbed it on with a cloth leave it for a few seconds then rinse in mildly soapy water & brush with a brass brush. Repeat as necessary until you get the result you would like.
Step4
The yolk is key to aging silver. If you pick to use the egg technique you are avoiding contact with harsh chemicals although it may take you some trial & error before getting the result you desire. First start by making the egg a hard-boiled egg. After boiling & cooling break the egg in half. No need to peel the egg as you are only after the yolk.
Step5
Place both sides of the egg in the jar with the yolks facing up. Place your silver item in the jar being careful to avoid making contact between the silver & the yolk. Seal the jar with the lid & leave it overnight. In the morning you should see the results. If they are not to your liking & you require your aged silver darker - repeat the process using a newly hard-boiled egg.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I know its sounds simple and maybe old fashioned, but what about leaving it out in the elements for a while...a bit of rain and mud might do the trick...it has on things I haven't meant to leave outside:rolleyes::grin::grin::grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I just recently watched a great YouTube video, and I'm very sorry I can't remember who the blogger was that published it. I apologize that I can't give them credit.
Take your hot pot, the one you use to melt UTEE. Put a snipped square of cut up craft mat in the bottom. Take your charm, and put it on the mat, then heat up the pot. Sprinkle on very carefully some Ranger Distress Embossing Powder. You can use straight Verdigris or blend colors as you like. The Embossing Powder will melt onto your charm, and you use tweezers to lift up the craft mat square and remove to a safe spot to cool. If you need to clean it up, just use a file. You can buff the embossing powder for a nice mat look. If you want it shiny, then wait till the first layer is melted, then sprinkle on some clear embossing powder.

-c
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
I just recently watched a great YouTube video, and I'm very sorry I can't remember who the blogger was that published it. I apologize that I can't give them credit
-c
It was Tammy Tutterow: Tuesday Tutorial: Enameled Idea-ology - Tammy Tutterow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Thanks ladies. No, the items I would be wanting to change wouldn't be real silver. Being in Australia I'm not familiar with some of the things you have mentioned. I have tried painting some of the things I want to dull with acrylic paint and it seems ok but I am not sure it is going to stay on. I like the sound of the patina gel but haven't seen anything like that here. I will need to have a look. Thanks for your suggestions though.
Chrissie
I wouls suggest going to a Glass Art Store, somewhere that sells leadlighting supplies, and see what they suggest. In copperfoiled work ages the solder is aged. Might be worth trying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Chrissie
Maybe you can find something here: Viva Ferro Paints - Brands (They are in Australia!) Their blog is filled with wonderful tutorials and projects, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

3 shades of Verdigris paint from the craft dept...Dap a finger into each color and tap a bit here and there on your piece...Rub off to the look you like and seal with a clear coat matte sealer! This is all available in your local craft store...All water based clean up...You can distress it a bit with some black or grey if needed...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

I have coloured large brads, charms and buttons with a black permanent marker, then rubbed off the bulk. It just leaves black in the grooves giving them a little more definition and an older look. I've also scatched them up with a sanding tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I've used a black Sharpie, wiping as I go, but the suggestion to use it with alcohol makes perfect sense (now why didn't I think of that?). I'm adding that to my hints and tips book!
TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

Another way to age real or plated silver is to put it in a plastic bag and putting a hard-boiled egg in with it. Peel and cut up the hard-boiled egg into quarters or so, and seal it up with your pieces of silver. Hard-boiled eggs have that sulfur thing going, like the liver of sulfur. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaunView Post
Another way to age real or plated silver is to put it in a plastic bag and putting a hard-boiled egg in with it. Peel and cut up the hard-boiled egg into quarters or so, and seal it up with your pieces of silver. Hard-boiled eggs have that sulfur thing going, like the liver of sulfur. Good luck!
About how long will the aging take with this method?
Reply With Quote Likes