Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Designer Paper question

I have read that years ago many of you made your own designer paper. What weight paper did you use? And where did you buy it.
SU has designer paper that matches their ink. However I don't always like the patterns they sell. If i buy paper at Michael's or Hobby Lobby it doesn't match the ink I have . I want to make designer paper so it matches my ink
Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 11:44 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I used SU whisper white or very vanilla, if you look under resources for the technique called One Sheet Wonder or do a search under OSW you will see lots of samples.

I just did this yesterday using colors that were close to another pattern paper in making a purse tote.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If its for cards I use Domtar smooth 32lb bond. Its a nice weight paper, bright white, & very smooth. If its for scrapbooking, I've used Bazzil smooth white and SU white. Here is an example of one pattern paper I made for Valentines & a couple cards I made with it:
Attached Thumbnails
Making Designer Paper  question-hpim3970.jpg   Making Designer Paper  question-img_0269.jpg   Making Designer Paper  question-img_0274.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you !! So some use card stock and others use 32 # smooth paper .

I will need to see where I can find 32# paper here in the USA.

The Valentine DP is great
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 12:36 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Thank you !! So some use card stock and others use 32 # smooth paper .

I will need to see where I can find 32# paper here in the USA.

The Valentine DP is great
I bought my paper at Staples (Canada), but I'm sure any office supply store will have a similar product. I just happen to like Domtar papers. I believe HP has a similar paper (but more expensive).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
If its for cards I use Domtar smooth 32lb bond. Its a nice weight paper, bright white, & very smooth. If its for scrapbooking, I've used Bazzil smooth white and SU white. Here is an example of one pattern paper I made for Valentines & a couple cards I made with it:
That paper is fabulous! I love it- must have been a bit of work to make it, it looks incredible. Thanks for sharing!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I'm so glad this thread was started! I've been wondering the same thing. Another question to add...how do you achieve a random effect if you're using a bunch of single stamps and not a wheel? Is there a "rule of thumb" to use about how many colors? What about if you want to make paper that doesn't have a white or vanilla background? Do you brayer or sponge around your randomly stamped images?

Thanks for letting me add on questions to this great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I found this company in the USA that sells Domtar paper. is this what you are using?

http://www.papermartinc.com/shop/pro...0eef1799f2149e
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 05:29 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

If you want a paper that has a color other than white or vanilla; start with a piece of colored card stock and stamp on that. Or, brayer the whole sheet the color you want first, than stamp. Sponging or brayering after the fact will be hard to cover all white space and you could change the color of your stamped images without meaning to.

I don't know if there are any hard and fast "rules" but it will help to make it look more random if you make sure to go off the edge with your images. As for how many colors to use I find three to be a good amount. I usually use two to match with my main stamped images or other layers of colored card stock I'm using; and a third just as an accent color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampjourneyView Post
I'm so glad this thread was started! I've been wondering the same thing. Another question to add...how do you achieve a random effect if you're using a bunch of single stamps and not a wheel? Is there a "rule of thumb" to use about how many colors? What about if you want to make paper that doesn't have a white or vanilla background? Do you brayer or sponge around your randomly stamped images?

You may want to take a look at some of the designer paper that you like and get inspiration in terms of the # of colors and randomness of patterns from there.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

www.marcopaper.com carries Domtar cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Are you stamping or printing pages?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I found this company in the USA that sells Domtar paper. is this what you are using?

http://www.papermartinc.com/shop/pro...0eef1799f2149e
That's the one I use. It says that its for laser printers, but I use it in my inkjet and it works perfectly fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
If you want a paper that has a color other than white or vanilla; start with a piece of colored card stock and stamp on that. Or, brayer the whole sheet the color you want first, than stamp. Sponging or brayering after the fact will be hard to cover all white space and you could change the color of your stamped images without meaning to.

I don't know if there are any hard and fast "rules" but it will help to make it look more random if you make sure to go off the edge with your images. As for how many colors to use I find three to be a good amount. I usually use two to match with my main stamped images or other layers of colored card stock I'm using; and a third just as an accent color.
If you want a colour other than white for your background, then you would use coloured card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampjourneyView Post

I used a wheel stamp (the red ink - unmounted of course) and then a single stamp for the heart (pink). I think getting the randomness takes a little practice, but as long as you turn your stamp and don't have it going in the same direction too often helps. Also, its not completely random - the spacing is sort of uniform, but that's just so you can get even pattern all over.

Another poster asked about how many colours. My answer would be use as many as you want - its your design. I just happen to use only two (well 3 including white) because my cards were those colours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaylesView Post
Are you stamping or printing pages?
That particular one is stamped. I also do use the same paper to print digital papers and they turn out very nice as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I have several friends that scan their favorite papers and then print it off. Not sure what type of paper they print on but I'd never know the difference in the stuff I have received from them in swaps and from their cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I LOVE YOUR DESIGNER PAPER! I would buy that paper in a heartbeat (lol.. no pun intended).

What kind of ink do you use? You are a pro, that's for sure. I wish I could stamp with such precision and get such crisp and accurate impressions. And that kissing card is darling. (you just gave me an idea for a valentine card with your designer paper with x/o on top instead of flowers and a frog that says: free kisses)...8-)

thanks so much for sharing!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Thanks, everyone, for such helpful responses to my additional questions. I'm definitely going to try it this weekend when I get a chance to go back to my craftroom. :-) And I might just have to copy that beautiful custom Valentine's DP...it turned out just perfectly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I would also like to thank every one who responded with tips and techniques.
I am going to order the Dontar paper
I have SU plain colored CS and the ink that matches so now I am going to practice making DP to go with those

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by not2shabbydesignsView Post
I LOVE YOUR DESIGNER PAPER! I would buy that paper in a heartbeat (lol.. no pun intended).

What kind of ink do you use? You are a pro, that's for sure. I wish I could stamp with such precision and get such crisp and accurate impressions. And that kissing card is darling. (you just gave me an idea for a valentine card with your designer paper with x/o on top instead of flowers and a frog that says: free kisses)...8-)

thanks so much for sharing!!
Thank you for the compliments on my cards. I don't upload pics of my cards because most of the time I don't think they're that great, but they're getting better.

For the inks I used on those papers. The red ink is craft ink (real red I think) and the pink is dye ink ( pixie pink). The craft ink took a couple days to dry before I could handle it without it smearing, so the next time I make some, I will only use dye ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2010, 03:26 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I have stacks and stacks of "out-dated" papers from the slabs you can pick up cheap on sale. I'm going to flip them over and stamp all over the unprinted back - they're a good weight and acid-free.

As far as the random stamping goes, I've heard a couple of tips that I'll pass along: Start with your largest stamp and then fill in with smaller ones; stamp a group of three (leaving space), then another group of three next to the first group, etc. As was mentioned earlier, make sure you go off the edges, too. One trick I use often is to cut the paper/cardstock to the size I plan to use, then stamp. That way you can put things exactly where you want them to be seen, and - if you're layering something else on top of it - you don't even have to stamp the center!

This is a good way to try out new techniques, too. I've attached a thumbnail of the bandanna technique card I made, as well as a cherry card that shows the "exact placement" option I referenced above...
Attached Thumbnails
Making Designer Paper  question-biker-chic-bandanna.jpg   Making Designer Paper  question-dscf1029_edited-small-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Traci Bautista in her book "Collage Unleashed" has a great technique for making your own DP. And, occasionally, The Stampers' Sampler magazine has a feature called "Masterboard" where artists showcase their DP and the cards they made with them. Very inspiring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Sue I love the idea of using the unprinted side of DP you don't like to make your own !!.

I'll bet everyone has DP in their stash they no longer like . This will be a great way to use it up

Joanns frequently has DP on sale at 4 for $1, but the patterns are not great. It is only printed on one side so it is another source of plain paper .

Also when I started doing this last year I found some paper at a yard sale that has an unprinted back. I didn't like the patterns, but I was going to use the plain side to make envelopes with my Crafter's Companion
( the road to hell is paved with good intentions :rolleyes I have since realize the Crafter's Companion is not my favorite purchase. That paper will be perfect!
I saw a video where the person made envelope liners to match the card that would work with this idea too!

I love your DP .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Sue I love the idea of using the unprinted side of DP you don't like to make your own !!.

I'll bet everyone has DP in their stash they no longer like . This will be a great way to use it up

Joanns frequently has DP on sale at 4 for $1, but the patterns are not great. It is only printed on one side so it is another source of plain paper .

Also when I started doing this last year I found some paper at a yard sale that has an unprinted back. I didn't like the patterns, but I was going to use the plain side to make envelopes with my Crafter's Companion
( the road to hell is paved with good intentions :rolleyes I have since realize the Crafter's Companion is not my favorite purchase. That paper will be perfect!
I saw a video where the person made envelope liners to match the card that would work with this idea too!

I love your DP .
Thanks, Barbara! Yeah - I'm totally trying to "downsize" (an eye roll of my own here...), so I figured this would be one way to wade through the stash. Besides, I've been going through all of my stamp sets that have never seen ink, and a lot of them would be PERFECT for making dp! Thanks for starting this thread to remind me...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

I love both your paper and what you did with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I love your DP .

HEY!!!! Now that is a great idea. I buy big packs of designer paper on sell all the time because I love at least 3/4ths of it. But there are always those odd designs and colors that I don't care for. I never thought of using them to make envelopes. The envelopes are usually torn open and go right in the garbage anyway, so who cares what the inside looks like.

I love getting new ideas because I hate wasting anything. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I'd just like to add my 2 cents here. I find when I'm trying to create my open designer paper that I will usually start with my background stamps and usually do this on white or vanilaa. I usually start by first stamping off the paper so that I get more of a subtle effect as I want the other "main stamps" to be the focus. This is a great way of using up the white space and also to use those background stamps that I still love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

I really don't know why or how DP got to be such a big thing in stamping. When I started stamping we didn't use DP at all, we made all the backgrounds. It was really hard for me to use the DP, it didn't feel like I was really stamping but cheating. I mean if there is only 1 stamped image is that really stamping? LOL
Use whatever paper or cardstock you want. I wouldn't use anything to thin like copy paper though. Use colored or white. To get a random look, make sure you stamp off the paper like someone said and figure where your image is, you can plan where you want to stamp your background. We used background stamps a lot way back then, not many wheels either! The biggest advantage of doing your own (besides saving money) is you will never run out. If you like to color, you can stamp and color your own background paper. I saw some awesome paper someone did after stamping a bunch of animals on a card size sheet and colored them all in. It looked like great DP. So, don't cheat stamp your backgrounds. Study your favorite DP and see what you like about it and see if you can make something similar. I would love to see more people stamping more on their cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Default My one cent, 'cause it's not really worth two...lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettyView Post
I really don't know why or how DP got to be such a big thing in stamping. When I started stamping we didn't use DP at all, we made all the backgrounds. It was really hard for me to use the DP, it didn't feel like I was really stamping but cheating. I mean if there is only 1 stamped image is that really stamping? LOL
Use whatever paper or cardstock you want. I wouldn't use anything to thin like copy paper though. Use colored or white. To get a random look, make sure you stamp off the paper like someone said and figure where your image is, you can plan where you want to stamp your background. We used background stamps a lot way back then, not many wheels either! The biggest advantage of doing your own (besides saving money) is you will never run out. If you like to color, you can stamp and color your own background paper. I saw some awesome paper someone did after stamping a bunch of animals on a card size sheet and colored them all in. It looked like great DP. So, don't cheat stamp your backgrounds. Study your favorite DP and see what you like about it and see if you can make something similar. I would love to see more people stamping more on their cards.

hey, not only - who started all this designer paper business; but who started all the ribbon on every single card? (don't shoot me please. I respect your right to love ribbon and i love ribbon). but i get tired of seeing every card with a piece of ribbon wrapped around it. almost in the same exact spot on every card. like someone published a "recipe" for a card and now every single card looks alike.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I'm not a great stamper and don't have THAT many stamps, so making my own paper is pretty limiting with my stash, LOL. I never even thought of making my own! But I love Sue's examples, especially the HOPE card. Just awesome!

I like the idea of trying to imitate my favorite papers. Great idea. Though I can't mimic foil and that glittery effect...if I use glitter it doesn't stick as well as it seems to on the paper I buy (like Mariposa from DCWV).

I use the back of paper I don't like as the background for layouts all the time, it's a great way to avoid buying 12x12 white paper. I stick with my 8.5x11 cardstock at Meijer that is much cheaper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2010, 02:24 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinetickatieView Post
I'm not a great stamper and don't have THAT many stamps, so making my own paper is pretty limiting with my stash, LOL. I never even thought of making my own! But I love Sue's examples, especially the HOPE card. Just awesome!

I like the idea of trying to imitate my favorite papers. Great idea. Though I can't mimic foil and that glittery effect...if I use glitter it doesn't stick as well as it seems to on the paper I buy (like Mariposa from DCWV).

I use the back of paper I don't like as the background for layouts all the time, it's a great way to avoid buying 12x12 white paper. I stick with my 8.5x11 cardstock at Meijer that is much cheaper
Thanks for the compliment! I hear you on the foil and glitter (Mariposa is gorgeous - just bought the mat stack last week!). Have you tried Heat n' Stick powder? You apply it the same as embossing powder, but when it melts it gets tacky and really holds glitter well. I haven't tried it with foil, but maybe I will...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2010, 05:57 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

What a great way to continue to use some of those retired inks we still love. You guys are so clever. I have made my own mats to match my paper by drawing around the edge of white paper with a marker until I get a good smooth color. It's not quite as good as the real thing but it works in a pinch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAWSView Post
What a great way to continue to use some of those retired inks we still love. You guys are so clever. I have made my own mats to match my paper by drawing around the edge of white paper with a marker until I get a good smooth color. It's not quite as good as the real thing but it works in a pinch.
I do this a lot with Christmas cards cause gold/silver foil paper is soooo expensive. I just use a gold/silver marker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I do this a lot with Christmas cards cause gold/silver foil paper is soooo expensive. I just use a gold/silver marker.
I bought rolls of metallic gift wrap at Walmart and the Dollar store. It works great . The best colors are avaiable at Christmas time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinetickatieView Post

I really like to use Iridescent Ice embossing powder from SU! for this as I too have had the problems with glitter not sticking. Heat & stick is good too - especially if you want other colors of glitter but with a craft pad/pigment ink you can essentially make it look like you used a different color of glitter just by the ink pad you use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thank you for the compliments on my cards. I don't upload pics of my cards because most of the time I don't think they're that great, but they're getting better.

For the inks I used on those papers. The red ink is craft ink (real red I think) and the pink is dye ink ( pixie pink). The craft ink took a couple days to dry before I could handle it without it smearing, so the next time I make some, I will only use dye ink.
I LOVE the look of craft inks!!! (I didn't really realize it until my club that started had scrapbookers in it so we use those on our scrapbook pages - before I'd only used them to color chipboard and emboss with.) They look just a touch softer, almost chalk like - gorgeous! Anyway a tip if you want to still use those but don't want to wait is to heat the ink with a heat tool - you will see the ink "change" as it becomes dry so you know it is done! I love dye inks but sometimes craft inks just make such a special touch on a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok my last comment (for now anyway) - if you're making cards I LOVE to use background stamps to build a designer paper look with extra dimension. Like gregzgurl's first card had the Sanded background stamped and then individual stamps over the top of it. I always have better luck with the BG stamps than wheels but if you're scrapbooking and need to cover a larger area wheels like SU!'s texture or sandy speckles would be good ones to add this extra dimension. I'm also really enjoying stamping something and then running it through my Big Shot with an embossing folder or texturz plate like this card:
http://www.cardscraps.com/forum/loca...catid=11&id=86
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by not2shabbydesignsView Post
hey, not only - who started all this designer paper business; but who started all the ribbon on every single card? (don't shoot me please. I respect your right to love ribbon and i love ribbon). but i get tired of seeing every card with a piece of ribbon wrapped around it. almost in the same exact spot on every card. like someone published a "recipe" for a card and now every single card looks alike.
OH I SO AGREE on that one! Everything has to have flowers and ribbon and hardware and more stuff so you can't mail it without a padded envelope or box!

I'm so mad at the PO in Midland TX I could SCREAM. I send cards to DD all the time when she's in school in MT now she's working in TX this summer and they keep sending them back, even though they fit through the width slot and aren't overweight. Over HALF my cards are coming back and I don't over embellish or layer! Never got one back from MT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

It's becoming a trend to make cards more like scrapbook pages without photos...very embellished, lots of detail. I like it but I think it makes the simple cards I make look like I didn't do enough work on it. It looks TOO simple sometimes. So I'm into the embellishing. I'm up to sending in a bubble envie if I must, I don't send cards much, so it's not so bad. But for those who mail a lot, then I totally understand where you're coming from!
Reply With Quote Likes