Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Default Lighting for craft room.

My husband is building me a new craft room. He thinks i should have track lighting and I thought I would always want Ott lights. any suggestions on what the best types of lighting for a craft room that will be used for paper crafts, machine embroidery and sewing?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #2
Proud Fan Club Member

There are other "daylight" options that are less pricey than Ott lights. When I do the lighting for my studio in the next few weeks, I plan to have overhead lights of some kind with the less-expensive daylight-type bulbs in them, and a single Ott light (gooseneck or desk style) for close work. My main frustration has been shadows (I currently have a single-bulb ceiling lamp with a fluorescent bulb in it), so I plan to have several fixtures to eliminate this problem. I'm sure someone else can weigh in with what has worked for them...

pepperann likes this post.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
Kookie Creator

Personally, I wouldn't go with track lighting. I have that in my hallway, and there are always shadows - would hate to think of crafting with that (unless you have a lot of natural light in your craft room). I have a single Ott light on my desk.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

I had 4 recessed lights put in the room that I will use for crafting and other things. I will have an Ott light on my table and probably another floor or table lamp elsewhere in the room. To me, the key is to have different sources of light. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
Kookie Creator

I'm so glad this was asked . Those of you that hav an Ott light, is there one model you prefer over another? There are many choices and price levels and it seems they vary by store. The lamp I have now is halogen and it's very hot and I'm sure causing damage to my supplies.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Die Cut Diva

My Hubby has just finished my craft room. I have had a 5ft twin strip fluorescent, with daylight bulbs in them. Fantastic! No shadows or dark corners. The things you need to consider to get good 'daylight' light is the colour temperature of the bulb, and the colour rendering index (CRI).
Here is a good explanation of temp, and Here CRI.
Basically to get good colour rendering, you want a bulb with a CRI of at least 90.
Most daylight bulbs have a colour temperature of around 5000, which is a bluer light, and close to natural daylight.
This is why some lights look 'warm', and some 'cold'. The colder, 'bluer' end of the range, is where you get less alteration of the true colours by the 'warmth' of the bulb.
Hubby researched all this before he got my bulbs, lol.
My room is roughly 15ftx15ft, and the two tubes give me more than enough light.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 01-15-2013 at 07:11 AM..
pepperann, jeaniebean55 and Sadiesplace like this post.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Die Cut Diva

A white ceiling is also better for reflecting light- matte is just as good as silk.
pepperann likes this post.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Kookie Creator

So you mean just buying a desk lamp because it's pretty isn't enough? J/k, thanks so much for the technical info and tell your husband thanks too. This will be helpful when shopping online!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Die Cut Diva

Lol @ leeannn34! Beloved Hubby is a confirmed' research before you buy' kinda guy!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Cardstock Collector

Default Thannks!

Wow! All of you make this sound so much simpler than the articles I was reading. thank you so much for your input.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
My Hubby has just finished my craft room. I have had a 5ft twin strip fluorescent, with daylight bulbs in them. Fantastic! No shadows or dark corners. The things you need to consider to get good 'daylight' light is the colour temperature of the bulb, and the colour rendering index (CRI).
Here is a good explanation of temp, and Here CRI.
Basically to get good colour rendering, you want a bulb with a CRI of at least 90.
Most daylight bulbs have a colour temperature of around 5000, which is a bluer light, and close to natural daylight.
This is why some lights look 'warm', and some 'cold'. The colder, 'bluer' end of the range, is where you get less alteration of the true colours by the 'warmth' of the bulb.
Hubby researched all this before he got my bulbs, lol.
My room is roughly 15ftx15ft, and the two tubes give me more than enough light.
I had fluorescent lighting in my previous studio and loved the lack of shadows, but didn't know the "technical" info that you've referenced here and wondered about the true color thing, so thanks for that input - I may go back to this!

A word of caution, though: the brighter light can seriously fade your pretty papers, so keep them covered!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
Glitter Guru

I have a magnifying lamp (the Slimline) made by the Daylight Company on my main worktable - actually it's in a bracket screwed to the edge. I've had it for seven years and it gives me great light for working. I totally love it. It was expensive, but worth every penny. And they are a great company - four years ago something went funny with the switch and I called them and they told me to cut the power cord (with the serial number) off the lamp, mail it to them, and they sent me a brand new lamp.

Slimline Magnifying Lamp

I'm using plain old swing arm wall sconces from Home Depot over the work areas in the rest of my space. It's far from ideal. When we revamp the room (in progress) this needs to be rethought. So I'm glad this thread is here. I need the info so I can make some better decisions.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 01-15-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have a large north facing window in my studio and my desk sits right under it. The walls and ceiling are white. There's an Ott light on my desk, 4 lights on a ceiling fan, and a floor lamp with two more lights on it. I like having all the options and sometimes even use all the lights.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
Cardstock Collector

I showed my husband all or your comments. He has been researching the Ott lights as well after I told him that's what I thought I wanted. He is very glad that in the end it will cost less and the the lighting will be so good. thanks for the warning about fading paper, fabric, etc. You have all been a huge help!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
Inking Addict

I have a small desk lamp with an ott-lite in it. I realized that it wasn't enough light (really who whould've guessed) so I bought 3 daylight 5000K bulbs to put into my standing lamp. Now it's very bright. The ott-lite is just the same as 5000k bulbs which can be bought in 2-packs for $4 at Lowes. Compared to $5 for one ott-lite bulb. Just my opinions!

God Bless!

CluelesslyCreative
God Bless! Philippians 4:13
You can't spell Earth without "ART" well you can, but then it's just "EH. My (very small) Gallery
Old 01-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Yea, those shadows were driving me crazy so I put an archtect light (13 watt daylight bulb and can put the lamp into various positions) on my left side and an ott (13 watt daylight bulb) on my right side and that took care of the shadows.
jeaniebean55 likes this post.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #17
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
I have had a 5ft twin strip fluorescent, with daylight bulbs in them. Fantastic! No shadows or dark corners.
That's exactly what I have too it's fantastic, no need to stop crafting in the evening. Everything I tried before always created shadows somehow so just can't imagine being without it now!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
Die Cut Diva

I bought an Ott Desk lamp at Tuesday Mornings for about 30.00 two years ago and I love it! I have the base clamped to the back of the desk and it a gooseneck so I can maneuver the light anywhere I want on my desk. Then for Christmas this year, my husband bought me a floor model Ott light. I didn't ask for it, but he must have heard me talking about Ott lamps with his mother who sews and loves her Ott lamp in her sewing room. Now I have two Ott lamps plus a regular floor to ceiling lamp in the corner by my desk. I open the windows that face north and I have almost too much light during the day. However at night, the two Ott lamps are all I need to work!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #19
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I had an addition on the house for crafting and I love love love lots of windows and a skylight! I have natural lighting except for evenings and nights and use my beloved Ott lights if necessary late in the day.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
Crimping Master

I have recessed lighting with floods in the kitchen and office. I could do surgery in there...I add an Ott for close up work on cards.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #21
Cardstock Collector

Default Placement of lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyStripe View Post
That's exactly what I have too it's fantastic, no need to stop crafting in the evening. Everything I tried before always created shadows somehow so just can't imagine being without it now!
Where are your lights? Directly over the table? Behind the table? Behind your chair? Over a shoulder? Which shoulder? So many shadows and so many options. Help!
Old 10-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #22
Proud Fan Club Member

I have a ceiling fan with 3 lights and regular bulbs. I have an Ott-light on my cutting desk. And a Multi-joint desk lamp with a clamp on my stamping table, with a regular bulb. The arm is long enough to reach from the end of the table, and over my marker storage to shine on the area I work on. $16 pretty much everywhere.

I need to say that the Ott-light shows colors differently than regular bulbs, and sometimes different than sunlight. (I have a big West window with shutters to close out the HOT west sun). I'm not so thrilled with the Ott-light to pay for another one. I do use it for comparing colors.

Warning to all of you with fluorescent lights: They fade things just like sunlight. They are used to grow plants indoors, so the property of the light is similar.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:13 AM   #23
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeann34 View Post
I'm so glad this was asked . Those of you that hav an Ott light, is there one model you prefer over another? There are many choices and price levels and it seems they vary by store. The lamp I have now is halogen and it's very hot and I'm sure causing damage to my supplies.

My elderly eyes are getting really bad and it is almost impossible for me to craft without lots of light and heavy duty magnifying glasses. I have several Ott lights and 2 regular lamps with daylight bulbs in my craft room. I have this dual sided Ott lamp on my desk and love it. It does not take up any more room than a regular Ott craft light, but they swivel so I can adjust them to eliminate any shadows or to better illuminate my project. It gives so much better light over my workspace. I got it online at Joann's on sale for less than $35:

OttLite - 26w Dual-Sided Task Lamp
Old 10-07-2018, 03:01 AM   #24
Proud Fan Club Member

Love my lighting solution! I use LED 5,000K daylight bulbs in my overhead ceiling and above desk fixtures. I'm definitely not an Ott Light or fluorescent fan, was in the past. I changed from fluorescent to LED, because disposal of burnt out bulbs was a pain. Most definitely no Ott light allowed in our house ever! We very lucky to smell the burning plastic before flames erupted, our cats managed to tip my desk Ott light over. I often craft during all hours of the night and predawn hours. My current bulbs have been in place for nearly 3 years without needing to be replaced and no loss of brightness.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 10-07-2018 at 03:08 AM..
Old 10-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #25
Stazon Splitcoast

I have three lights on movable arms at my desk. One is clipped to the left side of my hutch, one is a goose neck floor lamp (Ott light) on the right and one sits on the desk (also has a magnifier feature). I love that they are movable, so I can put them right where I need them and with three of them, the shadow problem is resolved. At my standing work space I have decent overhead lighting (just regular ceiling light) and another desk lamp with a movable arm so I can get the light right where I need it (which changes based on the time of day and how the light through the windows is coming in.)

(Thanks for the heads up, Anne, on the Ott light warning ... will be careful to watch that it doesn't get close to stuff!)
Annecards likes this post.