Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #1161
Mad Swapper

Wink

I found spiral bound books, with blank pages, smaller than 8x11, at Dollar General. Pretty sturdy covers, that could be easily embellished. I got those to do recipe books. Now, just finding them. I was up until 4 am last night,cleaning the sew/scrap/stamp room. Packed away the Christmas stamps, but will be seeing them soon, cause I am starting in July.

Honest, July lol

Patrice
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #1162
Kookie Creator

I made recipe books for family members this year. They loved them. I used 4 x 6 photo albums. The plastic ones that cost $1 - $1.99. I have been typing up recipes in a 4 x 6 format for a few years and I print them on 4 x 6 blank index cards. They fit perfectly in the little albums. What I like about them is that you can wipe them off if they get dirty. I can't take pictures of the couple I have for me because the battery is dead for my camera and my sil has the cord to my camera.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:22 AM   #1163
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonniejoView Post
I made recipe books for family members this year. They loved them. I used 4 x 6 photo albums. The plastic ones that cost $1 - $1.99. I have been typing up recipes in a 4 x 6 format for a few years and I print them on 4 x 6 blank index cards. They fit perfectly in the little albums. What I like about them is that you can wipe them off if they get dirty. I can't take pictures of the couple I have for me because the battery is dead for my camera and my sil has the cord to my camera.
OK BonnieJo, I'm not as stupid as I sound but how do you tell your printer to print on this size paper? I had actually decided to make a small scrapbook for my girls with their fav recipes in it & this would be so much easier than trying to hand write 40 recipes x 2. I can picture it all in my mind without the uploaded pics (sorry your battery died & sil has the cord) but I just can't make myself figure out how to resize the print. & do you use just plain ole buy them from walmart, or wherever, index cards or are they special ones that are sold in the pkgs like business cards?

TIA for the help
Old 12-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #1164
Glitter Guru

If you want FREE recipe cards, here are some cute ones:
http://www.graphicgarden.com/files17...t/reccard1.php
I just use cs that I get a Wal-Mart to print these out on.

imthenoni--I would like to know that too, I know you can buy programs to put on your computer to do this, but if you can do it for free, why not!!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Old 12-28-2009, 07:15 AM   #1165
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPTAYLORView Post
I found spiral bound books, with blank pages, smaller than 8x11, at Dollar General. Pretty sturdy covers, that could be easily embellished. I got those to do recipe books. Now, just finding them. I was up until 4 am last night,cleaning the sew/scrap/stamp room. Packed away the Christmas stamps, but will be seeing them soon, cause I am starting in July.

Honest, July lol

Patrice
Sounds great, Patrice!
I'll be right there with you in July! I really want to get into some of my local craft sales.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #1166
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
OK BonnieJo, I'm not as stupid as I sound but how do you tell your printer to print on this size paper? I had actually decided to make a small scrapbook for my girls with their fav recipes in it & this would be so much easier than trying to hand write 40 recipes x 2. I can picture it all in my mind without the uploaded pics (sorry your battery died & sil has the cord) but I just can't make myself figure out how to resize the print. & do you use just plain ole buy them from walmart, or wherever, index cards or are they special ones that are sold in the pkgs like business cards?

TIA for the help
You could print more than one per page and cut them apart. Or, set your page size in 'file' 'page setup' 'paper size' and then when you go to print you'll need to load the right size paper. It takes me a few tries to get that right sometimes. Hth!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #1167
Mad Swapper

Talking

Hey everybody,

Got my atg today, the grandson's had fun talking to the FedEx man. Now, got to figure out how to load, and use. I might have to read instructions

Patrice
Old 12-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #1168
Polyshrink Goddess

Love my ATG! Loading it has become second nature after using it for a few years now!

rita w
Old 12-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #1169
Mad Swapper

Smile

Nothing to it, had it loaded in two minutes, Now two other scrappers here at work are playing with it. Yeah for framing supplies, this will save me time, keep me out of M's, and HL, getting adhesive.

Patrice
Old 12-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #1170
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Hey everybody,

Got my atg today, the grandson's had fun talking to the FedEx man. Now, got to figure out how to load, and use. I might have to read instructions

Patrice
You mean you are suppose to read the directions first??? Gee.. all these years I've been doing it wrong, first I teach myself how to do it, than read the directions to make sure they've written correctly!!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #1171
Kookie Creator

Quote:

TIA for the help
You don't sound stupid. I am a very visual person, so I understand. I will do my best to tell you what I do. I am at work now and I use my home computer which has Works on it. I go into page setup and paper size on the word document and choose 4 x 6 index card. I set it up as a landscape document and put the margins as little as I can. I save that as the template and just type the recipes on it and use "save as" to save by the recipe name. This has saved me much time and I hate to write. If someone requests the recipe from me, I just go in and print it. : ) I will try to get pictures soon and get them down loaded.

Bonnie
Old 12-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #1172
Watercolor Wizard

Happy New Year everyone.
Strangely enough right now at 8am, 1st January 2010 it seems the same as 2009!

So bring on Christmas 2010!
Old 12-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #1173
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Honest, July lol

Patrice
I'll have to see if we have any dollar generals here, I'm looking for the bigger books to alter. I take off the covers and cover them then put them back on. I did up a whole slew of the $1 2010 planners from Target. The covers were really ugly, but they were a buck. LOL! So I made new covers and punched the holes then put them on - everybody loved them.

I need to take pictures of things more often, but I got a ton of stuff made for Christmas. I did chocolate survival kits for my cousins and aunts, never did get the Husband Survival Kits done so I will do those next year. For my shift nurse, who is going back to school for another nursing degree, I made her a nursing school survival kit and she loved that. For my sister I made her a set of the $1 planner, an altered notebook (also found in the Target $1 about 6 months ago) a notepade (designed, printed, cut and padded) an altered Jr legal pad, an RSVP pen, a post-it note frame, a purse pack of post its, and all in a coordinated tote. It took me longer than I was expecting, but once it was designed it went pretty quick. I used a Gina Jane background for it all, but getting everything sized and everything took awhile. But now it's designed, I was able to put one together for my mom rather quickly. I made a digi book for my stepgrandfather of all his paintings so he can show it to people. He had been taking his camera everywhere and showing them pictures on it, I figured this would be easier and more professional. I've made him things over the years and this is the first time I've seen him get watery eyes, so it was totally worth it! He also loves bubblegum so I made a pocket-pack for his gum. He loves the kind you get out of the machines, with the hard shell on it. So we bought him "A Yard of Gum" thingie with a ton of gum in it. I took an old plastic Mentos gum holder, made a label on the computer, printed, cut and ran through the Xyron and put it on there for him. It fits in his pocket. Then I made another one out of white sucrets box, did a similar label, and it will stay in his trucks glove compartment. He loved those, but loved the book the most!

I also made a 12x12 digi scrapbook of pictures of my parents throughout the whole time they've been together, that was another hit and another watery eyes moment!

Right now I'm making snowman cans, it's altering gallon paint cans in a wrapper found on DAISIE. It was designed for Quarts but it was easy enough to resize for gallons. Mom is making fudge to put in them, I made a topper, and we're putting them in cello bags from Target $1 spot. We're making snowman soup for one in Starbucks Frap bottles, and I wrapped some milky ways in the snowman wrappers. Put all that in the can, and my dad is handing them out at work. We have to get 15 done by Sunday night and we have 6 done so I know we have plenty of time (except I ran out of adhesive, need to send someone to M's to get more!)

Christmas is over and I'm STILL making gifts! LOL!!
Old 12-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #1174
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KduffView Post
Happy New Year everyone.
Strangely enough right now at 8am, 1st January 2010 it seems the same as 2009!

So bring on Christmas 2010!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 12-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #1175
Glitter Guru

Here is a link for free calendar stickers:
http://www.alphamom.com/holiday/2009...r_new_year.php

Old 12-31-2009, 08:05 PM   #1176
Glitter Guru

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:17 PM   #1177
Crimping Master

Happy New Year everyone!

Visiting family in Wisconsin through Sunday. Missed going to the local Scrapbook store...closed today. But, did get to the quilt shoppe and found some great deals on fabric! Planning on making identical Magic Pillowcases for the in-laws, pointsettia table runner and asian themed table runner. Going to get started in January.....I am forcing myself.

I have been thinking about using my BIA for something too....but, what? I got the BIA last year and have not used it at all.....feeling bad about that too. I am sure that I am not the only one who has gotten something and then not used it for a while.

Cheers everyone on a super start to the 2010 giving season!!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:26 PM   #1178
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post
Happy New Year everyone!

Visiting family in Wisconsin through Sunday. Missed going to the local Scrapbook store...closed today. But, did get to the quilt shoppe and found some great deals on fabric! Planning on making identical Magic Pillowcases for the in-laws, pointsettia table runner and asian themed table runner. Going to get started in January.....I am forcing myself.

I have been thinking about using my BIA for something too....but, what? I got the BIA last year and have not used it at all.....feeling bad about that too. I am sure that I am not the only one who has gotten something and then not used it for a while.

Where in Wisconsin are you at?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:22 PM   #1179
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Happy New Year everyone!

That is what i got for Christmas this year. Er last year..LOL I have been thinking of making Password books with my clubs. i have so many websites I visit and I am constantly having to reset my password cause I forgot which one I used. I then separate it into a couple pages per 2 letters in the alphabet. EX A-B C-D etc
Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #1180
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy New years to everyone!!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:33 PM   #1181
Stazon Splitcoast

Cindi,

I'm in for helping you with this. Are you going to start a new thread for 2010 or how are we going to post the ideas? Let me know & I'll be there with you.

Happy 2010

Quote:

Good morning Ladies! I was up until 1 am wrapping gifts...all the gifts! Thank goodness we do not have many folks to give gifts to. Here are the things I am thinking about now.

I did a really good job on making the cards throughout the year and I have some left over for next year. I made a list of who I sent cards to and which ones, that way I can use those leftover ones. Secondly, it got me thinking I have got to start on some other gifts earlier than July.....for instance, Patrice, I did not get to those holly placemats or table runner that you sent me directions for, or gift card holders, decorated gift bags and tags.

And so, I think that the idea, for me at least, is to make the tags and bags along the same time as the cards. Make the goal to get them finished by Oct. 1. Start on quilts, mittens, papercrafts and altered items in July, like you Patrice. That way when the unexpected happens....like my son being in the hospital for 6 weeks....I can have enough time to get things done. I need to reduce the overwhelm I felt in the last few days because I do not think that is not what Christmas is all about.

So, I made a planner/journal for the holidays. I am going to start seriously thinking about the big projects, think about being realistic in my goals about big projects and maybe piece out the big stuff. Does this make sense?

I think the other thing I am going to do, with my excellent planning and organizational skills , is go through this thread and the other Christmas thread and make a list of gift ideas. Then share them here....with links to Tutorials and pics. We'll see if I can. Anyone want to help?

I have gotten way too wordy here , but, I know that some of you must be feeling the same. So....with all of that......thank you SCS friends for making the journey in life a bit easier and fun. I treasure the friendships I have made here so much! God Bless you all this Christmas and let's hope the 2010 is a great year for all of us!!
Old 01-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #1182
Mad Swapper

Smile

DONNA,

We can keep this thread running, add all the new ideas, links, then we don't have to keep looking for different posts. I am stalking our local Target store, for the metal mailboxes from the dollar spot. They were wiped out when I got there today, will re stock tonight. I hate to have to get up at 7 am, but I think it's the only way I can get them for the grandson's Valentine's party.

Happy New Years to all, we have got many prjects to do.

Patrice
Old 01-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #1183
Watercolor Wizard

Our tree and decorations are now down ..... christmas? What christmas LOL

I like to plan ahead, get an early start, so I'm glad this thread will continue
Old 01-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #1184
Glitter Guru

Quote:

DONNA,

We can keep this thread running, add all the new ideas, links, then we don't have to keep looking for different posts. I am stalking our local Target store, for the metal mailboxes from the dollar spot. They were wiped out when I got there today, will re stock tonight. I hate to have to get up at 7 am, but I think it's the only way I can get them for the grandson's Valentine's party.

Patrice

Patrice, I think you can ask the saleperson if they have more in the back, seems to me that I read that on SCS somewhere.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #1185
Mad Swapper

Smile

I finally flagged down a kind Target employee, they only had one white mailbox in the box. Only one pathetic mail, I was crestfallen, I got my hopes up. But I surfed around on the internet, and found a site Story Book creations, and found a free template for a mailbox. Looks fairly easy, especially after the Target people told me I would have to get there at 8 am when the store opens, IF, they got any on the truck shipment tonight.
I printed off the template, blew it up on the printer, and got the project planned. I am too old for this homeroom mother stuff again, but for the grandbaby, I will make the sacrifice.

Patrice
Old 01-02-2010, 05:51 AM   #1186
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I finally flagged down a kind Target employee, they only had one white mailbox in the box. Only one pathetic mail, I was crestfallen, I got my hopes up. But I surfed around on the internet, and found a site Story Book creations, and found a free template for a mailbox. Looks fairly easy, especially after the Target people told me I would have to get there at 8 am when the store opens, IF, they got any on the truck shipment tonight.
I printed off the template, blew it up on the printer, and got the project planned. I am too old for this homeroom mother stuff again, but for the grandbaby, I will make the sacrifice.

Patrice

Patrice I have extra and I would be glad to mail you one. I went to our local Target on Thursday and they had many of them. Yes it was at 8am. But tell me which color and I would be glad to mail it to you. Just pay me the shipping and the buck for the mailbox. Just let me know. You can pm me your address and then pay when after you receive it with the postage on the package. I will put it in a box. Also I have several if you need more then one. Kathy
Old 01-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #1187
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Happy New Year everyone!

You know, I have been thinking about the BIA as well. I do so many altered notebooks and it'd be nice to bind my own. I have a plastic coil binder and it's great for the kids but for the notebooks I like the wire. My drawback is I don't know enough yet about the BIA. How many pages I can bind, and how hard is it to use...things like that. I *really* want a wire binding machine that can punch and bind the whole page without having to punch, line up, punch, line up, punch, etc. I'm not good at lining things up and I just know it wouldn't line up right...but the ones that do a whole page are $300 and I just saved up enough for my Gazelle, so saving another $300 for a binder, when I badly need a new laptop....it's just one thing after another! And I think a $300 binder would be at the bottom of the list. My DVD Recorder just broke as well, I'm using a cheap $20 DVD player but of course it doesn't record. It just keeps happening, one thing after another is breaking!!!

So I need to do more research on a BIA. $90 is reasonable....$300 won't happen for another year, minimum. I guess my option is to just put it on the list and keep altering already bound wire books. But it'd be SO nice to be able to bind wire books! I did find the WR-60 but it only binds up to 45 pages. I need something that can do 100 or 200 pages for all the planners I make and stuff.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #1188
Watercolor Wizard

I bought a bind it BIA beg 09 and it took me a while to use it.
This year my gifts were using the BIA to make note books, shopping lists etc from scratch. $2 shops ($2 here at least due to exchange rate LOL) have heaps really cheap that you can use, all colours and patterns, my mum and MIL loved their gifts, and the retirement area my mum lives in the oldies there wanted one.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #1189
Gabfest Goddess

I have one, I got it at the after Christmas sales last year. So far I've only used it to hurt my finger
It does seem to have great possibilities though, I still believe in it!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #1190
Crimping Master

I was in Plymouth....about 20 minutes west of Sheboygan. Man was it cold up there! Were you close by?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradley's_momView Post
Where in Wisconsin are you at?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #1191
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoegirlView Post
I have one, I got it at the after Christmas sales last year. So far I've only used it to hurt my finger
It does seem to have great possibilities though, I still believe in it!
Kirsten, even though that made me laugh, I am not laughing at you....cuz, I haven't even tried it yet. On my list to use for gifts next Christmas.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #1192
Crimping Master

I agree Patrice, I had not wanted to start something new. But, maybe just make a list for ideas with links to where you can find the directions.

Your mailboxes sound neat!

Quote:

DONNA,

Patrice
Old 01-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #1193
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonniejoView Post
You don't sound stupid. I am a very visual person, so I understand. I will do my best to tell you what I do. I am at work now and I use my home computer which has Works on it. I go into page setup and paper size on the word document and choose 4 x 6 index card. I set it up as a landscape document and put the margins as little as I can. I save that as the template and just type the recipes on it and use "save as" to save by the recipe name. This has saved me much time and I hate to write. If someone requests the recipe from me, I just go in and print it. : ) I will try to get pictures soon and get them down loaded.

Bonnie
Bonnie

Thanks so much. I haven't had time to try this yet but this week may hold time for it.

I've already come up with 30+ recipes so far & the year is still very young. LOL
Old 01-04-2010, 05:02 AM   #1194
Crimping Master

I would love to see it!

Quote:

Bonnie

Thanks so much. I haven't had time to try this yet but this week may hold time for it.

I've already come up with 30+ recipes so far & the year is still very young. LOL
Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 AM   #1195
Insane Embellisher

Happy 2010 everyone! Is everyone done their 2009 Christmas crafting? I'm not yet -- we are attending our couples group dinner this Saturday and I am seeing friends on the 17th, then Christmas 2009 will be over and I can get started on 2010!

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Old 01-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #1196
Mad Swapper

Wink

Kathy,

Thank you so much, that is a kind offer. I need 15 mailboxes, which is a lot of trouble to pack up and mail. I think my template will work okay, if stalking my Target does not work out. I saw somewhere on this SCS site about letter's to Santa, so that is a mailbox idea for next year.

I just called Target, they have them in, many in supply. Will head there pronto after work.

Patrice
Old 01-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #1197
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I would love to see it!
Cindy,

I'll be glad to post it when I get started. At this point it is still in the idea stage. I'm thinking about using a 6 x 6 scrapbook or maybe an 8 x 8 to put the recipes on and then possibly put a picture of us either making or enjoying the recipe or something like that. Again, it's still in the idea stage but when I make a final decision and get started other than listing the recipes I'll let you guys see it.

Thanks for the interest
Old 01-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #1198
Kookie Creator

Default Idea for cookbook

Hi! I don't know if you cookbook ladies started out with any scrapbooking in your lives first, but, if you are using family recipes at all, I'd like to make a suggestion.

I have always been a scrapper, I'm just starting to stamp. During my almost 20 years of scrapbooking it became so important to me to use people's own hand-writing whenever possible.

Recipe books are perfect for this. Just think how nice it is to have Great-Grandma's special bread recipe in her own writing and possibly a photo of her with it. IT's the heritage part. I am even using my handwriting...which I hate in my albums. (Not weddings and things...but more "everyday" things.)

I have my grandmother's recipes in her writing. They are a treasure to me!
You can copy them if making more than one book...or split the recipes up and let the girl's (I know, sexist) get together and share the other recipes.

At this point, I am even having my mother with R.A. write things out when possible. I don't know how long she will be writing with her beautiful writing. (She went to an Art College. I keep everything she doodles or draws.)

Just something to consider. No pressure.

In His Love,
Traci S.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #1199
Mad Swapper

Wink

I nailed those mailboxes, I cleaned off the shelf, able to get 13 of them,I think there are twelve children in the class. What a relief, I would of made the pattern out of cardstock, but the kids would of had those destroyed by the time they got home. I want to start gathering the supplies so the kids can make a Valentine card to take home to their parents, so I am starting to look for a easy, but cute card that will be easy for five year olds to work on.

Patrice
Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #1200
Rubber Obsessor

Hi everyone, My name is Bonnie, I am from Wisconsin. I just came across this thread the other day, Have been trying to read the whole thing from the beginning lol. I am totally enjoying it and have been getting wonderful ideas from all of you ladies. This past Christmas I made several scrapbooks for gifts. I made one for my niece from birth -age 6 and my nephew birth- age 4. Also made on for my sil of a day at the zoo with our whole family.

Cindy I know you posted a couple of things last year when the thread started, however I thought maybe you would still have the directions on your computer. I am totally interested in the tote bags and pillow cases. Also am very interested if you did the list last year of everything that people suggested? I know you are wanting to do it for this year too, so very time consuming. If you were able to get it done I would greatly appreciate a copy of it, if you have kept it ooh and If I may ask for the Calendar directions too, sorry if this is too much

I love the recipe book idea. I think I am going to incorporate the quick/easy recipes since everyone's life is always so busy. If anyone has any ideas please share.

I do have on cookie recipe to share that we just love. you take 1 egg, 1 cup peanut butter and one cup sugar. mix all ingredients, roll into small balls, flatten with fork. bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes

I look forward to getting to know all you ladies!!

Bonnie