Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #1121
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPTAYLORView Post
Hey Lindy,

I say we keep this thread fired up for another year. Honest, I am going to start in July all my projects. I did iron and fold up neatly all my bits of Christmas fabric, and put in the bedroom of my guest house. So I wrote in my 2010 dayplanner on July 1st, where I stashed what. And I found some rubbermaid tubs that will fit on my closet shelves, and I will put all my Christmas stamps in it, keep them all together, and again marked the dayplanner. If anyone comes across a great after holiday sale on stuff, let us know, especially anything that can be used for Valentine's.

Patrice
Hi - still lurking!!

I agree, I've got so many projects I haven't had time to share - I'd love to pass on some of the ideas to you. And I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

I love the idea about stashing Christmas stuff. I always find great sale stuff after Christmas, but the trick is keeping it where I can find it!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #1122
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post
I know now why I have been saving sweaters for along time!! I even have the fleece in various colors! Thanks Mary!
Those are lovely! I'm dying to try a pattern I saw on Skip to my Lou. It's adorable!

A couple of years ago I picked up a very inexpensive but very soft throw blanket from Wmart and sewed a bunch of squares of felted wool from recyled sweaters to make a quilt. Cheap, didn't take much time and it's their MOST favourite gift of all time. I'll try to find a picture of it somewhere. I got the idea from a Martha Stewart magazine.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #1123
Mad Swapper

Wink

Keep the ideas coming ladies. I have copied off two ideas today from the SCS site today, marked my dayplanner to remind myself to start early on the supplies.

This weekend, cleaning the scrap room, get ready for Valentine's, Easter.

Patrice
Old 12-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #1124
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoegirlView Post
Those are lovely! I'm dying to try a pattern I saw on Skip to my Lou. It's adorable!

A couple of years ago I picked up a very inexpensive but very soft throw blanket from Wmart and sewed a bunch of squares of felted wool from recyled sweaters to make a quilt. Cheap, didn't take much time and it's their MOST favourite gift of all time. I'll try to find a picture of it somewhere. I got the idea from a Martha Stewart magazine.
Oh, I would like to see your pictures and do you have any directions?

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Old 12-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #1125
Glitter Guru

Hey Patrice, I was wondering, did you every get your new floor laid in your crap room, I mean scrap room?? That is what my two daughters call my "creative room"--Mom's Crap Room! Did you get your friends quilt done too?

Old 12-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #1126
Mad Swapper

Wink

Hey Mary,

Yes, I got a new paint job, and the floor laid. I did the painting, and my son and nephew did floor. My son is a correctional oficer at a prison, and a couple of inmates showed him and co worker how to lay a laminate floor. They now have done some work at other prison workers home. When you don't make much money, you have to be innovative. I have some SU Decor Elements on the walls, but I am not through yet.

The quilt is on hold for a couple of more days. It is a big blanket, I didn't want to do a rush job, then be ashamed of the finished result. I am no professional quilter by any means, but it can get a fairly decent looking end result.

The kids are going wild through the house, the don't realize "moomaw" needs to get up early, cover the ER.

Patrice
Old 12-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #1127
Stazon Splitcoast

JCI to say Merry Christmas Eve (or Christmas Eve eve as the case may be). I hope you have a most blessed Christmas. I'm still running around doing the Scooby-Do hoping & praying I'll get things done in time.

Oh and BTW you HAVE to keep this thread posting. I really want to use some of the really cool things for next year. I'm probably going to start next year as soon as this year is over (Oh that's after I get my 10 January swaps done - so by the middle of the month anyway).

Thanks Patrice for reminding us to mark locations in our dayplanners. I often forget where I put what I purchased ahead of time. I'm going to start doing just that. I'm also going to start keeping a notebook for listing inspirations in - to keep them all in the same place.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:06 AM   #1128
Crimping Master

Talking Reflections on Crafting in 2009

Good morning Ladies! I was up until 1 am wrapping gifts...all the gifts! Thank goodness we do not have many folks to give gifts to. Here are the things I am thinking about now.

I did a really good job on making the cards throughout the year and I have some left over for next year. I made a list of who I sent cards to and which ones, that way I can use those leftover ones. Secondly, it got me thinking I have got to start on some other gifts earlier than July.....for instance, Patrice, I did not get to those holly placemats or table runner that you sent me directions for, or gift card holders, decorated gift bags and tags.

And so, I think that the idea, for me at least, is to make the tags and bags along the same time as the cards. Make the goal to get them finished by Oct. 1. Start on quilts, mittens, papercrafts and altered items in July, like you Patrice. That way when the unexpected happens....like my son being in the hospital for 6 weeks....I can have enough time to get things done. I need to reduce the overwhelm I felt in the last few days because I do not think that is not what Christmas is all about.

So, I made a planner/journal for the holidays. I am going to start seriously thinking about the big projects, think about being realistic in my goals about big projects and maybe piece out the big stuff. Does this make sense?

I think the other thing I am going to do, with my excellent planning and organizational skills , is go through this thread and the other Christmas thread and make a list of gift ideas. Then share them here....with links to Tutorials and pics. We'll see if I can. Anyone want to help?

I have gotten way too wordy here , but, I know that some of you must be feeling the same. So....with all of that......thank you SCS friends for making the journey in life a bit easier and fun. I treasure the friendships I have made here so much! God Bless you all this Christmas and let's hope the 2010 is a great year for all of us!!
Old 12-24-2009, 06:07 AM   #1129
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoegirlView Post

It's good to know you are still around! I would love to see the Martha Stewart Pattern too!
Old 12-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #1130
Polyshrink Goddess

Cindy - those are all great thoughts! Thanks for sharing your plan, I really need to sit down and think about my plan for next year as well. I had to go back to work in Sept so, I didn't get anything done that was on my list. Ended up buying everything, which is not the spirit of christmas that I wanted. . . .Anyway, I'm going to try your idea of making a plan to get started earlier - I love your idea of pulling the tutorials and gift ideas into 1 place.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:43 AM   #1131
Polyshrink Goddess

HAPPY CHRISTMAS,Its christmas eve here in the UK and i am off to the cimema to see "its a wonderful life" its on at the cinema every xmas eve so a bit of a tradition in this town.Whatever your plans are enjoy yourselves and be- safe!!!! xx jo xx
Old 12-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #1132
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
Oh, I would like to see your pictures and do you have any directions?
The pics were on my other computer, and they're not very good. Also, I didn't have directions, I just measured and winged it. I'm having a hard time uploading them here, so I'll add them to my blog. Just click HERE
Old 12-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #1133
Mad Swapper

Wink

I agree with all of you here, being overwhelmed, frazzled, and spending too much is not what Christmas is all about. Let's keep this thread going, ideas flowing, and start really early in 2010. Hit some sales, stash some stuff away for next year.

I went shopping for myself, ordered me an atg. I keep going to Hobby Lobby, and M's for adhesive, the SU stuff is too pricey for my cheap self, so maybe it will cut down on my entrances to the stores, keep impulse buying down, 36 yrds of adhesive for $2.50, now that is reasonable. Hope this gun works well for me.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Patrice
Old 12-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #1134
Mad Swapper

Cool

I was looking at the fan club in the gallery, and saw a cute bathroom set of hand lotion, liquid soap, candle all embellished to match. Cute idea, and specialty bottle has the exact containers to do this.

The ER is crazy, and I am staying back in my x-ray room, some crazies are up front, and I don't feel like dealing with them today, so I am just entertaining myself, planning next Christmas.

Patrice
Old 12-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #1135
Crimping Master

Quote:

I was looking at the fan club in the gallery, and saw a cute bathroom set of hand lotion, liquid soap, candle all embellished to match. Cute idea, and specialty bottle has the exact containers to do this.

The ER is crazy, and I am staying back in my x-ray room, some crazies are up front, and I don't feel like dealing with them today, so I am just entertaining myself, planning next Christmas.

Patrice
Patrice, sister, Lisa, works in Ultrasound and she said this morning was nuts too!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #1136
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinglakeView Post
HAPPY CHRISTMAS,Its christmas eve here in the UK and i am off to the cimema to see "its a wonderful life" its on at the cinema every xmas eve so a bit of a tradition in this town.Whatever your plans are enjoy yourselves and be- safe!!!! xx jo xx
Merry Christmas Jo!

One of my favorite movies watch it myself every year! Enjoy!!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:52 AM   #1137
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Hey Patrice, I was wondering, did you every get your new floor laid in your crap room, I mean scrap room?? That is what my two daughters call my "creative room"--Mom's Crap Room! Did you get your friends quilt done too?
Hmmm... that would make an interesting sign.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #1138
Gabfest Goddess

Amen to frazzled, overspent and a little tired of the crazy people. I'm so happy to be holed up at home with my kiddies for the next week.

I've been around all year, I've just been so busy with workshops that I haven't had time to breathe! Here are a couple of things we made at my LAST workshop of the year!
Attached Thumbnails
kgoeckel0060.jpg   kgoeckel0063.jpg   kgoeckel0076.jpg  
Old 12-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #1139
Gabfest Goddess

Here are some of the little 'treat' bags I made for some of my friends, neighbours and super good customers. They have all kinds of things inside - little Watkins creams, stamps, chocolates, notepads, stamped candles, really lovely tea, hot chocolate singles, mocha cappuccino singles and/or little bottles of Canadian Ice wine.

It was fun making just the right assortment for each person. In some cases I used stamps from sets I had already broken up, retired hostess stamps that never saw ink... I bought a little here and a little there, mostly with groceries, and then sat down one evening to assemble. I think I did about 35 of them
Attached Thumbnails
kgoeckel0044.jpg   kgoeckel0046.jpg   kgoeckel0031.jpg  
Old 12-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #1140
Mad Swapper

Wink

Kirsten,

Your work is fantastic, stick around with us on this thread, we neeed you. I have the medallion stamp, I gotta get that sucker out, put it to better use.

Patrice
Old 12-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #1141
Watercolor Wizard

Christmas day at 9.15 am here. The presents are unwrapped, breakfast has been eaten and the messes for both cleaned up, time now for tea and a quick break on the computer.

Eat drink be merry, be safe and be warm. Enjoy your christmas.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #1142
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Hey Mary,

Yes, I got a new paint job, and the floor laid. I did the painting, and my son and nephew did floor. My son is a correctional oficer at a prison, and a couple of inmates showed him and co worker how to lay a laminate floor. They now have done some work at other prison workers home. When you don't make much money, you have to be innovative. I have some SU Decor Elements on the walls, but I am not through yet.

The quilt is on hold for a couple of more days. It is a big blanket, I didn't want to do a rush job, then be ashamed of the finished result. I am no professional quilter by any means, but it can get a fairly decent looking end result.

The kids are going wild through the house, the don't realize "moomaw" needs to get up early, cover the ER.

Patrice
That's great that your son will employ the inmates, helps with their self-esteem and lets them earn some money too.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #1143
Glitter Guru

It's a ugly, nasty Christmas eve here in Kansas City today, tonight and into the early hours of Christmas day too! Alot people have had to cancel family get togethers because of the weather and alot of churchs have cancelled services for tomorrow too. Hope you all have a wonderful, safe, warm Christmas!

Old 12-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #1144
Glitter Guru

OH, Patrice, here is something you can add to your list of projects for next year (really anytime of the year), it is soo cute, retro cupcake (warning you don't eat this kind of cupcake!)
http://www.bakeitpretty.com/blog/?p=511

Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #1145
Mad Swapper

Wink

Hey Mary,

That is a cute idea, I have two of those cupcake display holder things. Would make a cute holiday centerpiece. Great idea, thanks for sharing.

I just unwrapped hubbies gift to me, a new Pfaff sewing machine. I have a older Bernina, but he said I needed a new toy. He's the greatest.

Merry Christmas everyone

Patrice
Old 12-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #1146
Kookie Creator

Quote:

OH, Patrice, here is something you can add to your list of projects for next year (really anytime of the year), it is soo cute, retro cupcake (warning you don't eat this kind of cupcake!)
http://www.bakeitpretty.com/blog/?p=511
These are adorable! I want to make some of those!

So are we going to start a Valentine's Day thread now that the Christmas holiday is almost over? LOL
Old 12-25-2009, 02:40 AM   #1147
Stazon Splitcoast

Merry Christmas ladies

I am looking forward to this thread continuing.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:14 AM   #1148
Insane Embellisher

I hope this thread continues! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas so far - all the gifts I made have been well received - everyone commented on them the recipients loved them!
Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #1149
Mad Swapper

Wink

Let's just keep this thread going, keep all these great ideas, and inspirations here as we add the new ones.

East Texas had the most beautiful snow flurries yesterday, only lasted an hour, but it just made our Christmas.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Patrice
Old 12-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #1150
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Hey Mary,

That is a cute idea, I have two of those cupcake display holder things. Would make a cute holiday centerpiece. Great idea, thanks for sharing.

I just unwrapped hubbies gift to me, a new Pfaff sewing machine. I have a older Bernina, but he said I needed a new toy. He's the greatest.

Merry Christmas everyone

Patrice
I've got my Bernina clear back in 1984 when my oldest daughter was just a baby! I still use it and like that it is so simple to use, it's not a computer one, so that makes it easy for me to just sew! Enjoy your new toy!

Old 12-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #1151
Gabfest Goddess

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you are having a wonderful day!!
Old 12-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #1152
Glitter Guru

Here is a picture of a gift card holder that I just made!

I was inspired by this gift box:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/.../photo/1568760
Attached Thumbnails
picture-064.jpg  

Old 12-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #1153
Insane Embellisher

Smile

Quote:

Here is a picture of a gift card holder that I just made!

I was inspired by this gift box:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/.../photo/1568760

that is adorable!
Old 12-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #1154
Mad Swapper

Wink

I had fun out shopping today, especially everything was 50-75% off. And I met up with one of friend's daughter, who got married oct 2008. I asked her what husband was doing today, and the answer was " I don't care, we are divorced, signed papers two weeks ago". They weren't even married a year, and she commented " well for a year of misery, I got some nice stuff", referring to wedding gifts. And I visualized the very nice and costly gift I gave her, and began to slightly "steam" about it. So while in Michael's I spotted some cute recipe boxes, marked 75% off, and grabbed up a couple.
So the next wedding shower I get invited too, if it's not a close family member, I am going to embellish these boxes, fix the recipe cards. I figure the cost will be $7.00, maybe a little less. Kids today, that all I can say.

And along with the nice sewing machine dh got me, he booked a trip to London today, won't be until 2011. My daughter is a group leader for those trips students take, so we should have fun going with her.

Got to unload the car, start cleaning up around here.

Patrice
Old 12-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #1155
Kookie Creator

I love the idea of recipe boxes! I might have to make one for SIL and MIL for next Christmas.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #1156
Mad Swapper

Wink

A cute recipe box, and if you are into sewing, a potholder and apron to match the box colors. Be a cute gift, and you would not get mad if they couple is married less than a year. lol

Back to cleaning up sew/scrap room.

Patrice
Old 12-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #1157
Glitter Guru

I've always given brides-to-be recipe boxe full of recipes (one time I put recipes in their box that were from their grandmother and mother, that I had received as a shower gift from them at one of my bridal showers). I also give them something else too for the kitchen. They seem to enjoy them.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #1158
Watercolor Wizard

I was thinking on a recipe box, but for a bridal shower gift, not that my eldest son is thinking on marriage yet but it will take me a while to find the recipes I'm after.

It's a great idea for any occasion
Old 12-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #1159
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by KduffView Post
I was thinking on a recipe box, but for a bridal shower gift, not that my eldest son is thinking on marriage yet but it will take me a while to find the recipes I'm after.

It's a great idea for any occasion
I did that for both of my daughters, 24 & 26, but I made recipe books for them. I also added the year I started using the recipe (so they could see how old some of them were and also added family tibits at the end of family favorites.) Than I got card file boxes that were big enough to hold 5x7 cards, so if they found recipes in magazines they could cut them out and put it in the larger box , also put in alphabetical dividers that I put categories over eg. breads, pies, soups, main dishes, etc., so they could file the recipes in order. They use their books all the time.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #1160
Watercolor Wizard

Handy hints, I love it when a project is completed and I can hear all the things on what to do and what not to do, gives me plenty to jot down to collect.

A book with blank pages or the box sounds great I hadn't got that far on what to do with them once the recipes were collected LOL