Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #881
Pearl-ExPert

Have any of you made the altered file folders? I struggled with it, badly. I'd love some tips.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #882
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyspencerView Post
I was thinking of doing that, too. How much are you going to charge? I haven't even begun to think about a price...
I'm just giving it to them as their Christmas present from me. I don't know how much I would charge either! It's a set of 6 cards, so maybe if I was selling, about $10-$12. I'd do a card box to go with them so they have someplace handy to keep them.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #883
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy929View Post
Have any of you made the altered file folders? I struggled with it, badly. I'd love some tips.
I haven't made those yet but they look cute! Hopefully someone else will have some tips for you
Old 10-26-2009, 04:11 AM   #884
Crimping Master

Smile Little Book of Cheer

I posted this in the other Christmas thread so now it will be in both.

Hopefully all the PDF will open for you. I bought the albums at this place http://www.adorama.com/ Look under Swing 4x6 albums. I had no issues with them at all. You can go to Amazon.com and find them there as well...just in case you are ordering other things for Christmas and want to combine shipping.

It was quick, after I decided which photos to use. I printed all the journaling tags on my computer with a thinner weight CS in a color that matched the cover and front and back pages. I wish I had take a picture of my finished project but, trust me, it looked very similar to the Big Picture project.

Thought something simple was a good addition to the growing gift ideas in this thread!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GiveWell08Project6.pdf (1.88 MB, 163 views)
File Type: pdf Give08_CheerTemplatesFamily.pdf (217.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: pdf Give08_CheerTemplatesHeart.pdf (224.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-26-2009, 04:17 AM   #885
Crimping Master

Smile Who Loves You? Bulletin Board

Here is an idea for someone to use a bunch of pics that you don't want to hide in an album. I got this idea, have not used it yet, from the Big Picture Scrapbooking class I took last year.

I might make this for my son, Clark, who lives in a group home. Staff is not good about getting his albums out for him to turn the pages so....this might be a better idea, now that I think of it.

Hope you like!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GiveWell08Project14.pdf (1.16 MB, 153 views)
Old 10-26-2009, 05:15 AM   #886
Rubber Obsessor

Smile Thank you...

...for the GREAT easy and quick album idea! ) Can't wait to do some!
Old 10-26-2009, 05:40 AM   #887
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringaView Post
...for the GREAT easy and quick album idea! ) Can't wait to do some!
Hope you were okay with me not sending you a private e-mail
Old 10-26-2009, 05:42 AM   #888
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post
Hope you were okay with me not sending you a private e-mail
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #889
Glitter Guru

Thank you, Cindy, for sharing both of the ideas!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #890
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post
Here is an idea for someone to use a bunch of pics that you don't want to hide in an album. I got this idea, have not used it yet, from the Big Picture Scrapbooking class I took last year.

I might make this for my son, Clark, who lives in a group home. Staff is not good about getting his albums out for him to turn the pages so....this might be a better idea, now that I think of it.

Hope you like!

I made something similar to this idea for my niece but I used an art canvas, painted it with some paint, and then just added pictures - used that as my 'scrapbook page' if you will. Turned out great and everyone loved it. I plan on doing more of them for my house with pictures of my grandson and nieces, nephews (whenever I get around to it!).

MY GALLERY
Old 10-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #891
Mad Swapper

Quote:

What did you have problems with? I made these a few years ago for a craft sale, they sold like crazy. But I thought they were really a pain to do, folding wise. I did score them to make them easier to fold. I've seen a few tutorials out there on them and there was one that had better instructions - but I didn't save it. Maybe a gallery search for it and you can find ones that others have done? But if there was something specific you had problem with, ask cause I probably ran into it when I did mine. Once you do a few they go together way easier.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #892
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrussomView Post
I made something similar to this idea for my niece but I used an art canvas, painted it with some paint, and then just added pictures - used that as my 'scrapbook page' if you will. Turned out great and everyone loved it. I plan on doing more of them for my house with pictures of my grandson and nieces, nephews (whenever I get around to it!).
With what.....tape, glue, photo corners, mod podge? Sounds like a neat idea...any pictures??
Old 10-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #893
Mad Swapper

Smile

All of you line up in neat orderly fashion,........ and kick me, kick me hard. I agreed to be part of a community wide craft fair on Dec 5th. On top of the full time job, overtime, raising grandkids, Thanksgiving, and holiday preparations. And I joined up with a fitness gym, that is having a special Biggest Loser promo, along with teaching kickboxing, Jazzercise. I want another 10 lbs by the holidays.

Sigh!!!! I CAN DO IT, or at least I am going to try. lol

Patrice
Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #894
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Is this what you are talking about?
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=67338

Its all in the folding. Once you have the folds going from left to right the rest falls right into order. You have to refold the center one if I remember correctly.. But then its been along time since i have made them. I thought using the SU! already colored ones in the cattie would make easy to make ones since they are already covered in pretty paper. Then just add embellishments to them.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #895
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by redheaded witchView Post
Is this what you are talking about?
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=67338

Its all in the folding. Once you have the folds going from left to right the rest falls right into order. You have to refold the center one if I remember correctly.. But then its been along time since i have made them. I thought using the SU! already colored ones in the cattie would make easy to make ones since they are already covered in pretty paper. Then just add embellishments to them.
I'm sure it is in the folding, but it's also in the measuring. My file folders weren't even close to the measurements on the tutorial. Also thought it looked strange with most of the back with no paper, and did the ribbon holes go thru the back or just thru the pockets?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #896
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I'm sure it is in the folding, but it's also in the measuring. My file folders weren't even close to the measurements on the tutorial. Also thought it looked strange with most of the back with no paper, and did the ribbon holes go thru the back or just thru the pockets?
I used full size file folders. Some cut theirs down so they are not as big. I believe I measured all the way across and then divided into 4ths and that is where I scored. the Score Pal works really well. I put paper on the back of my file folder and then sponged on all edges and in between. Course I used a lemon colored file folder so I used Chocolate Chip cause I like the antique look to it.

The holes I put thru both the pockets and the back. I used a jumbo eyelet and it helped to keep the bottom flap up. I didnt use glue in between the top flap and the back. Relied on the creases to keep it together. I was afraid the glue would prevent the stuff from sliding down into the pockets or cause it to stick and the inserts wouldnt pull out.

I did knot the ribbon at the ends so it wouldnt pull thru the jumbo eyelets. I used enough ribbon so the folder would open all the way and then you can just pull on the ribbon knots and the file folder would close and you could tie it shut with all the ribbon you now have in the middle of the file folder by the eyelets.

Also I got the file folders that had a long tab on them not a short one. The bottom flap that you fold up is at the end with the long tab. So when you fold it up it matches the long tab with the long tab. Easier to glue this way and you dont lose any room in the end sections. Is this clear?? Or am I making matters worse??

Last edited by redheaded witch; 10-27-2009 at 09:35 PM..
Old 10-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #897
Stazon Splitcoast

Try here for a great tutorial:
http://tayloredexpressions.blogspot..../Altered%20Art

Scroll down to Sept 20, 2007
Old 10-28-2009, 05:51 AM   #898
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Is this clear?? Or am I making matters worse??
LOL Clear as can be. The first one I didn't measure, big mistake. The second one I did and it did turn out better. I just didn't like the uncovered back, I think I will cover it.

Glue? I don't remember gluing anything. Thanks for the link!
Old 10-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #899
Pearl-ExPert

OMH I was doing it backwards! No wonder I had to fight with it. I was folding the tabbed part as the pocket, my notches never lined up. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #900
Inking Addict

Default Christmas

Subbing.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:06 AM   #901
Mad Swapper

Quote:

OMH I was doing it backwards! No wonder I had to fight with it. I was folding the tabbed part as the pocket, my notches never lined up. Thanks!

I remember throwing my first two in disgust because it was just IMPOSSIBLE to do - no way did this folder fold into a planner - no friggin way. But then when I re-read the instructions, looked at how they had actually done it, calmed down (cause I get frustrated when things just don't go my way in crafting some times!!) I got it. But the folds really have to be right for it to fold up right. I covered the back of mine too just cause it looked better.

On my wall scrapbook picture - no I didn't take a picture. I painted the canvas and used modge podge to adhere some designer paper for a background and then used red-line tape to put up some matts for pictures - the pictures I tried to use photo corners so they could change them out.

I did one for my daughter after her very adorable baby was born (see avatar!) and that one I put in the 12x12 frames that M's carries - for scrapbook pages. I liked that idea a lot too - cause you can change the page any time and then put it in a scrapbook if you want.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-29-2009, 05:03 AM   #902
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrussomView Post
I remember throwing my first two in disgust because it was just IMPOSSIBLE to do - no way did this folder fold into a planner - no friggin way. But then when I re-read the instructions, looked at how they had actually done it, calmed down (cause I get frustrated when things just don't go my way in crafting some times!!) I got it. But the folds really have to be right for it to fold up right. I covered the back of mine too just cause it looked better.

On my wall scrapbook picture - no I didn't take a picture. I painted the canvas and used modge podge to adhere some designer paper for a background and then used red-line tape to put up some matts for pictures - the pictures I tried to use photo corners so they could change them out.

I did one for my daughter after her very adorable baby was born (see avatar!) and that one I put in the 12x12 frames that M's carries - for scrapbook pages. I liked that idea a lot too - cause you can change the page any time and then put it in a scrapbook if you want.

That's a great idea for our Godchildren.....take pics with them, make page of neat things we do together then put in those frames....neat! Never thought of that....knew they exsisted just never used.

Thanks for the info on the canvas.....another neat idea for the Godchildren! Always looking for something personal to give them than just toys or books. One year I crocheted scarfs in addition to other things, last year it was little albums.....maybe this year framed pics!

Old 10-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #903
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPTAYLORView Post
All of you line up in neat orderly fashion,........ and kick me, kick me hard. I agreed to be part of a community wide craft fair on Dec 5th. On top of the full time job, overtime, raising grandkids, Thanksgiving, and holiday preparations. And I joined up with a fitness gym, that is having a special Biggest Loser promo, along with teaching kickboxing, Jazzercise. I want another 10 lbs by the holidays.

Sigh!!!! I CAN DO IT, or at least I am going to try. lol

Patrice
Good luck Patrice! I'll be rooting for you! ANd glad it's not me. LOL!

Although I wish we had craft fairs here. I can't find any in my area. I'd love to do one.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #904
Rubber Obsessor

I really like your idea Jeanstampin2. It sure would be easier to do it that way and not so hard on the bank account either!!!

I think I will do that starting in January as well. I might even start making my list of names now and get some ideas for next year or carry over ones that I couldn't afford to do this year!!

Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:27 PM   #905
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I've got to join this thread. I've only read a small portion of it but I know KNOW I HAVE to join. You ladies are so amazing with your ideas.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #906
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Try here for a great tutorial:
http://tayloredexpressions.blogspot..../Altered%20Art

Scroll down to Sept 20, 2007
Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial. I've been sitting here trying to figure out how to do this & now I know.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:54 PM   #907
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuccicoo1002View Post
A friend of mine posted this link - I love the note pad holders -- you could probably fashion something similar with a regular manilla folder and some DP, I would think I know I still have TONS of those Jr. Legal pads from a few years ago, when the fad was to make covers for them...

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=136596572783

here's a link to the tutorial:
http://pattystamps.com/pattys_stampi...ad-holder.html

I'm thinking I'll make them for my DD's teachers -- it's easy, useful, and CHEAP! LOL
Thanks for sharing the tutorial. It is an absolutely wonderful gift & as you said it is on the cheap (I hate using that word - it means quality at my house so lets say inexpensive) side.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #908
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
Thanks for sharing the tutorial. It is an absolutely wonderful gift & as you said it is on the cheap (I hate using that word - it means quality at my house so lets say inexpensive) side.
The Patty Bennett file folder project is great - You can get file folders at Mike's in the dollar section 4/$1.00, also Staples sells singles for 99 cents or a 12 pack for $6.99 - Wally's sells the pad 6 for $2.44 - once you make a couple you will be able to sit and make them without the instructions - they are that easy! I made a bunch to coordinate with the cards sets and paperweights that I made for gifts this year! I have some posted in my gallery using the Mikes and Staples folders.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #909
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardLadyTooView Post
The Patty Bennett file folder project is great - You can get file folders at Mike's in the dollar section 4/$1.00, also Staples sells singles for 99 cents or a 12 pack for $6.99 - Wally's sells the pad 6 for $2.44 - once you make a couple you will be able to sit and make them without the instructions - they are that easy! I made a bunch to coordinate with the cards sets and paperweights that I made for gifts this year! I have some posted in my gallery using the Mikes and Staples folders.
Margaret,

Thanks for sharing all this wonderful information. I'm seriously thinking about doing some of these for several of my friends. I'm really excited about doing these. Thanks again for sharing.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #910
Pearl-ExPert

Love love love the badge holder mini albums! I made three today. Cute, easy and quick.

I uploaded a picture of one to my gallery here and other pics on my blog.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #911
Watercolor Wizard

I bought the badge holders on saturday so will get going on the rest pretty soon
Old 11-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #912
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
Add a beaded pen to the file folder with the co-ordinating DP inside the pen barrel and they would be wonderful gifts. Think I will make some for my craft fair to sell!!

thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #913
Mad Swapper

Cool

It's all going downhill fast. The big family holiday I was going to host at Christmas, has been moved to Thanksgiving. So this means, I have three weeks to clean, decorate, get tree up, plan menu, dig out Christmas dishes, serving pieces, work full time job, teach kickboxing, help with the grandsons.
And I promised a friend I would have a queen sized quilt machine quilted by Christmas, and the craft fair Dec 5th.

Big deep breath, I am going to rally family this weekend, get yardwork done, and get this process moving.

Next year, I am going to Tahiti for Christmas.

Patrice
Old 11-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #914
Crimping Master

Patrice....you made me laugh! Seriously....you are going to have to learn to say no! Just joking....you can always sleep in the day after Thanksgiving....oh that is unless you are one of those shoppers out at the crack of dawn snapping up all those bargins!

Good Luck!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #915
Mad Swapper

Wink

I have to work the day after Thanksgiving, thank goodness it's only a 8 hr shift.

I think my new word for 2010 will be "NONONONONONONO"

Patrice
Old 11-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #916
Glitter Guru

Quote:

It's all going downhill fast. The big family holiday I was going to host at Christmas, has been moved to Thanksgiving. So this means, I have three weeks to clean, decorate, get tree up, plan menu, dig out Christmas dishes, serving pieces, work full time job, teach kickboxing, help with the grandsons.
And I promised a friend I would have a queen sized quilt machine quilted by Christmas, and the craft fair Dec 5th.

Big deep breath, I am going to rally family this weekend, get yardwork done, and get this process moving.

Next year, I am going to Tahiti for Christmas.

Patrice
Patrice, you crack me up!! but you may do that to yourself!! Tell the family if they want Christmas at Thanksgiving that they ALL have to help you! Gee, I feel kind of bad posting this but what the heck, here is a cute socking stuffer for all of you:http://www.juliabettencourt.com/blog/?p=1286

Old 11-03-2009, 07:32 AM   #917
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I have to work the day after Thanksgiving, thank goodness it's only a 8 hr shift.

I think my new word for 2010 will be "NONONONONONONO"

Patrice
Work will feel like you are on vacation after all of that!!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #918
Pearl-ExPert

Today at the Target dollar spot I saw some day planners, spiral bound (like the BIA spirals). They are 2010. The covers were not very cute, but they are going to be SO easy to alter! They had a plastic cover that is clear with an oval cut-out on the front, and a clear plastic cover on the pack. Then the inside cover is just thin paper. So I'll design my cover on the computer, print it out on Gina K 120lb, and then use my CAD to punch the holes where they should be, slip off the old cover and put the new one on. It's going to be cute! Thought it might be a quick, easy gift for some of you (No Patrice, you cannot make one, you have enough to do already! LOL!).

I've been using some Gina Jane backgrounds and stuff to design a stationary set for a birthday gift. I bought one of those kraft chipboard little mini notebooks, and altered it. It has the snap shut thingie. I did a photo tote to hold everything, and I'll put the mini notebook, the day planner, a purse pack post-it holder, a jr. legal pad (altered with a folder holder whatever-its-called thingie), a box for a purse pack tissues and then an altered RSVP pen to match. I'm doing up some coordinating address labels, and already made a stationary pad and padded it using the padding compound. So quick and pretty easy! And fun!

Like I needed another project. LOL!!

I decided to do Shopper's Survival Kits for my cousins for Black Friday. So of course I am doing it all black-and-white paper and cardstock with some silver thrown in. Doing a gift card purse, with a $10 Target card included (I earned them all with surveys and MyPoints and stuff). I'm altering a grab-n-go cup with their fav. hot chocolate packet inside, a tissue box, I found some ADORABLE b&w pens at Michael's in the $1 section. I'm doing a mini composition book, and I found some b&w shopping pads at Michael's as well, that I will make up a folder for using my designer B&w cardstock. I'm using the shopping ladies kit from Gina Jane's website for labels and things like that. Very girly and VERY much the style my cousins seem to like. I got a pack of 13 b&w patterned gift bags (only needed 5 but I will use the rest for gifts at some point) at Michael's, used my 40% off and got them for $4, and bought the matching tissue for $1. I am also doing a mini zip bag with some Bath and Body hand sanitizer in it (the $1 ones) and then a zip bag with some band-aids in it. I think it's a fun little kit. It's turning out to be quite an expensive gift, te-he! But I know they will LOVE them and have fun with it. Each one is going to cost me $7 or $8.

Oh. And I have to actually start my Christmas presents at some point! LOL!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #919
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
Today at the Target dollar spot I saw some day planners, spiral bound (like the BIA spirals). They are 2010. The covers were not very cute, but they are going to be SO easy to alter! They had a plastic cover that is clear with an oval cut-out on the front, and a clear plastic cover on the pack. Then the inside cover is just thin paper. So I'll design my cover on the computer, print it out on Gina K 120lb, and then use my CAD to punch the holes where they should be, slip off the old cover and put the new one on. It's going to be cute! Thought it might be a quick, easy gift for some of you (No Patrice, you cannot make one, you have enough to do already! LOL!).

I've been using some Gina Jane backgrounds and stuff to design a stationary set for a birthday gift. I bought one of those kraft chipboard little mini notebooks, and altered it. It has the snap shut thingie. I did a photo tote to hold everything, and I'll put the mini notebook, the day planner, a purse pack post-it holder, a jr. legal pad (altered with a folder holder whatever-its-called thingie), a box for a purse pack tissues and then an altered RSVP pen to match. I'm doing up some coordinating address labels, and already made a stationary pad and padded it using the padding compound. So quick and pretty easy! And fun!

Like I needed another project. LOL!!

I decided to do Shopper's Survival Kits for my cousins for Black Friday. So of course I am doing it all black-and-white paper and cardstock with some silver thrown in. Doing a gift card purse, with a $10 Target card included (I earned them all with surveys and MyPoints and stuff). I'm altering a grab-n-go cup with their fav. hot chocolate packet inside, a tissue box, I found some ADORABLE b&w pens at Michael's in the $1 section. I'm doing a mini composition book, and I found some b&w shopping pads at Michael's as well, that I will make up a folder for using my designer B&w cardstock. I'm using the shopping ladies kit from Gina Jane's website for labels and things like that. Very girly and VERY much the style my cousins seem to like. I got a pack of 13 b&w patterned gift bags (only needed 5 but I will use the rest for gifts at some point) at Michael's, used my 40% off and got them for $4, and bought the matching tissue for $1. I am also doing a mini zip bag with some Bath and Body hand sanitizer in it (the $1 ones) and then a zip bag with some band-aids in it. I think it's a fun little kit. It's turning out to be quite an expensive gift, te-he! But I know they will LOVE them and have fun with it. Each one is going to cost me $7 or $8.

Oh. And I have to actually start my Christmas presents at some point! LOL!
WOW! Can I be one of your cousins? Sounds like a great gift idea...would love to see some pictures if you get a chance!

Take Care -
Beth
Old 11-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #920
Kookie Creator

I finally have something to share with all of you! Several weeks ago I hosted a SU! Christmas Card workshop. I work with my demo to make sure that every year this workshop is real special. Well this year I decided to make something for each person attending. I decided to make really simple, but very cute, Christmas tree ornaments. I had so much fun making them and everyone really loved them. Can't wait to see them on my tree this year : )

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1531055?nocache=1