Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-29-2004, 05:38 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kids stamping

Children stamping was mentioned in a swaps topic and I thought it woudl be an interesting thread...Do you let your children stamp?

I've taught my five to stamp....and clean. The sad part is that the five your old does a better job of cleaning the stamps than the 14 yr old!

They usually use printer scrap paper and maybe some scrap CS from my 'bits n pieces' folder. If they are making a card or something with purpose, I will cut a proper piece of CS for a card, etc. They have glue sticks for most of their glueing but sometimes "aquire" my hermafix. I don't have any real restrictions on the younger ones since I know they know how I want stuff kept. Youngest DD can stamp unsupervised. Mostly they use any of my stamps and I have a few Disney princess stamps I bought jsut for the younger ones.

It's funny to see how their tastes differ. The 8 yr old DD likes to color and huff. The 5 yr old DD will do that too but usually ends up stamping in black and coloring. My 10 yr old DS usually does a monochromatic thing. 14 yr old DD usually uses the alphabet stamps for school poster projects. I've finally gotten her away from the pigment inks (oh! What a mess she would make!). But if she makes a card, she usually prefers the solid stamps, requiring no coloring. The 15 yr old DD is the artist - truely. She paints in oils and acrylics. She uses the stamps for scrapbook pages mostly.

I think one thing that is important when teaching kids to do anything is to find at least one thing about the finished piece that you can honestly say you like. "I like how you used this color here" or "I think you did a good job on this part." It's far better than a blanket "That's wonderful" becasue they know it's genuine. And you can expand on it. I told DD I loved the colors she used on the new Princess stamp set. Then I added "you know, if you draw wings, she could be a tooth faery (shoot, I've forgotten how to spell that!)." I think that helps kids think beyond jsut what they see.

Anyway, I jsut wondered what others did.

Anna
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 05:45 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I have 3 daughters and we all love to stamp together.. I have to say my 12 year old blows me away, she's very artistic!! She comes up with the neatest ideas that I would have never thought of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 05:46 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I have a 9 yr old son and I let him stamp with me. He loves fish and sea creatures. That's mostly what he uses...fishy friends is his favorite. He likes to use the spots and tries to use every color in a box on his project. He loves to stamp the trapezoid boxes so that he can keep special things in it. He also covered a shoebox with white paper and did stamping on it with his favorite stamps. He uses it to hold his Yu-gi-oh cards and carries it almost everywhere he goes.

If it's my birthday or mother's day I cut the cardstock in the colors he wants and then let him loose with my stamps and ink so I don't see what he's doing. He's good about cleaning up.

I think it's great to let your kids stamp (and you must be a very patient mom to let all of your kids use your stamps!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2004, 06:28 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

My 16 yr old daughter and my 12 yr old son do stamp but they go to art school, so they are more into drawing. But my 6 yr old son loves to stamp. He will make up signs and hang them around the house telling everyone that him and mom are having a special stamp camp. I must say he is a really good stamper. Thanks for letting me share. Kerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 02:57 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

My 6 year old loves to stamp and is so creative that it blows my mind. Recently I was at the beach with my aunt and cousins and friends and it rained all day. Fortunately I brought some stamps with me and even the 13 yearold boys had a blast. It kept the kids occupied for a couple of hours and they made some really great cards. They loved the watercolor pencils and blender pens and for first time stampers they did an amazing job. Kids are so creative if you just let them.
Angel #2865
Ask me about TAC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 03:14 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Both my children (now 6 and 10) have been stamping as long as I have ( about 1.5 years) It was like there was a magnet, as soon as the ink pad was opened, they magically appeared. But that took all the guilt away since I was doing something I loved and spending time with them as well!

They are now good at cleaning the stamps, but some of my stamps are very inky on the wood. I can live with that - I am not a demo, and never plan on trading or selling them.

My daughter looks through the catalog as much as I do, I think. My son hasn't spotted the new Fire Brigade set - My dh is a Firefighter and on the Lt. of the Ladder truck - that set was made for us!

Heather J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 04:52 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Default daughters

Both my daughters (4 and 6) love to stamp. They see it as one of their favorite ways to spend time together. My 6 year old has even asked me when I would get tired of stamping and give her all my stamps. :shock: I told her not for a long time, but she could always use them with me. :lol: They use the kids ink from Stampin Up! unsupervised with their dollar tree foam stamps, but if they want to use my inks and stamps then we do it together. I have a chart of all the colors which they love to use to pick out what color they want to use, and I bought two sets "Meow Meow" and "Bow Wow" (both retired) especially for them to use because they both love the sets and use them quite a bit. I am very happy that they love to stamp almost as much as I do. lol

Tracy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 05:15 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

My daughter stamps, makes paper, creates her own cards and will now be entering her cards in the fair ~ she's 12. I just placed a large order for reinkers (hopefully it won't get stuck in picking forever) so she can make more paper. She's a maniac right now with all the techniques I'm teaching her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 05:37 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

My 10 year old sister adores stamping. She comes over while my 1.5 year old is napping to have "special time."

If it is just me and my 1.5 yo, I usually give her one of the biggest sets (as far as size of the stamps) and she happily stacks them and unstacks them and tells me all about them while I stamp, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:06 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Both my kids like to participate in their own little way.

My DD, almost 7, likes to go all out. She tries to add everything and all techniques on one card. She may do heat emboss on front, wants pearl ex and pastels inside and many different inkpads on back. She likes to try anything that she has seen me do. I try to encourage her to use items that do not need my help when I have my nose buried in a project. Otherwise, I am happy to help with the heat gun, etc. Usually when we stamp together, I get little stamping done, but I have lots of fun.

My 3 yr son likes to stamp, and cut up lots of paper. But he quickly switches to stacking the wood blocks and using an action figure to climb the castle, mountain, whatever the structure is at that moment. So, he and I share stamping in a little different way.

We've had fun with the shaving cream and bubble background techniques too.

SCS just keeps getting better and better!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:08 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I have a 12 year old daughter that stamps. In fact, the first SU party I ever attended was a mother/preteen daughter party. We made valentine gifts and cards. The two of us have been hooked ever since. Aubrey (my daughter) even has her own stamping area in the craft room. She has her own scrubby and mist container. When her friends come over to hang, they always end up in the craft room to stamp. Aubrey has taught them well how to clean and take care of the stamps and supplies. My stamping has improved by learning from their imaginations. Kids can think outside the box so much easier. The most priceless bonus...my daughter and I have something we share together.

Michelle Y
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:28 AM   #12  

My 6 yr old daughter loves to stamp with me! But I am a little anal about how my stamps look, so I've bought her one set from SU and gave her all my old non SU stamps to use. She pretty messy yet, but she really enjoys it. We've mailed some of her creations to her grandma's and her cousins.

My 3 yr old son mostly likes to use my paper cutter and punches. He can cut 10 sheets of paper in no time flat!

I bought a pack of cheep white cardstock at Wal-mart and that what i let the kids use. It doesn't bother me as much the waste when it is inexpensive.

dawn g

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:28 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

My son is 5 and loved to stamp...initially. He always wanted to be in on the project, and do lots of stamping when I was busy trying to get a workshop ready, or whatever (guilt).

So, I got him his own kid inks and some stamps (the robot set they just discontinued) for Christmas. He was excited and stamped for a while. He even had his own box of stamp stuff.

At Valentine's Day, he stamped out hearts on 8.5x11 paper, which we cut up into strips and made little boxes for candy. It was relatively easy, and I thought he enjoyed it.

Since then, he hasn't wanted to stamp even when I outright ask him!! Wonder if I was too anal about mixing colors, etc.? Or if the bug just wore off. Hope I didn't stifle his little creative bent...
Rhonda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 06:31 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I forgot to say that my tip for stamping with little kids is to dedicate a stamp pad to a stamp (at each session - not for the rest of eternity! LOL). I rest the stamp on the pad to eliminate confusion. I.E., if he is stamping with one stamp, the other stamps are on the other pads, so he doesn't get mixed up or forget to clean.

Clear as mud?
Rhonda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 07:25 AM   #15  
LOSTchick

I just had to join in on this conversation!

My children (a boy, age 7 & a girl, age 5) love to stamp!

My son loves to use the wheels, the paper crimper, and paper cutter. When he was 4, he bought his own handle with his allowance money!! I guess he didn't like sharing a handle with his mom. Since he was excited about having his own handle, I let him choose an ink & wheel to go with it. Even now he is quick to point out which handle is his.

My daughter loves all of the stamp sets, and she has come up with some neat pictures. She will stamp on 8.5 X 11 paper to make "giant" cards!

Both of my kids are really good about cleaning the stamps and not mixing the colors...now if they would only clean their rooms as well as they do the stamps.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2004, 07:59 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

I started stamping last sept and i was smitten...as i brought my stuff home my choldren (13 & 10) immediately jumped in...I started off small and now as of march i am a demo...My kids have stamped with me from day one...they do an awesome job taking care of everything...my hubby said they have to share their toys so do i so they have free access to everything...my 10 yr cleans up better than his 13 yr old sister but i think it is that age...my dd makes awesome jr legal pads for her and all her friends...it is amazing to see her out of the box thinking....my son loves to stamp ...the other day he was playing video games with his sister & best friend when it was their turn he made 2 cards that were teasing to his friend because he lost to a girl and a winning one for her.... it is amazing... I even took my stamps to my brownie troop 4 times this year to make cards for donations....

I encourage everyone to include their heathens in stamping...you never know you just might have a future demonstrator on hand...or worse case you'll have some awesome new examples to show off...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2004, 07:53 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

I think sometimes kids go thru spurts...what interested them greatly one week may not interest them the next...but they eventually go back to it.

That robot set was so cute...I was sorry to see it only in the catalog once. It was the first thing I bought when last year's catty came out. And it is great for kids to stamp with since there are endless combinations to be created.

Punches are another great kid entertainer. For a DD's 9th b'day one year, I bought cheap construction paper and glue sticks. I gave them the all my punches and the paper and let them go to town...kept them busy for over an hour! Every time I think about selling my punches (since I rarely use them anymore) i end up using them for some kid thing.

Anyway, it's neat to see how everyone else includes their kids.

Anna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2004, 08:19 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

My kids love to stamp as much as I do. My 12 year old daughter is very talented, I like her creations, so original! She helps me with a lot of my samplers and displays for workshops. She attends workshops with me and she is a great assistant. My 8 year old daughter likes to stamp too, not as much as her big sister though. My 6 year old son even likes to get in on the action! They have a box of their own stamps and generic cardstock, but they can use my stamps as long as I'm home and they ask first. They are very good at cleaning and caring for my stamps and supplies. I treasure the time we spend together each day stamping and creating together. Isn't this hobby great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2004, 08:39 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yessiree BOB! Make those kids STAMP STAMP STAMP!! Need at least 2 more generations of stampers in this world to make my money back!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kidding aside, my now 9 yr old daughter started stamping when she was 7yrs. She is allowed to use my inks and stamp sets. I bought 2 of stamp & scrubs & misters. One set sits on my stamping table and one on hers. She also is allowed to use my punches, virtually anything that is not consumable. I buy her her own cardstock and monoadhesive (only one tape/month), she has used her allowances and birthday $ to buy stampsets and cardstock. She must ask to use asseccories. She is allowed to use the stamp sets and ink without asking, however, and here is the BIG QUALIFIER, I will revoke her privilages if, IF, IF any stamp is not cleaned and put back in the proper box and if, especially if, the area is not cleared of punch papers, scraps etc. In otherwords, she MUST tidy up after herself. Or it's OUT THE DOOR, the stampin' door that is. So far, she has not yet lost those privilages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2004, 04:15 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I bought 2 of the kids stamp pads for my girls and they have a little bag of stamps I have picked up here and there for $1 or less - This way they have thier own stamp pads and own stamps and I am not worried about them playing with my stuff.

They haven't stamped in awhile - I had to put the pads in time out after one of my daughters decided to see how it would taste if she licked it :shock: she ended up with a purple tongue for about 24 hours...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2004, 05:01 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

My 6 year old boy loves to make cards with stamps and decorate his notebooks for school.
He went to an open house on Saturday and did not want the make and take card to look like the one the demonstrator had made - he tilted it and cut off all 4 of the corners of the card as well. Then he made his mom proud he wanted to write a thank you note inside to give to the demonstrator. He was totally happy when she put it in her card swap notebook.
The two year old likes to stamp but can be discouraged with trains still!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2004, 09:09 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

Every few weeks my boys (ages 8.5 and 5.5) want me to set aside stamping time with them. My older son is OK on his own but my younger son isn't as careful-natured so I like to be with him while he's stamping. Over the past year my older DS has used his allowance money to buy the SU kids markers, a couple wheels, and the All Aboard set.

Last year before my birthday, my kids and DH sent me off into my bedroom (at the far end of the house from where my stamping stuff is) for a while because the boys *insisted* on making birthday cards for me. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall watching my sons show my DH how to use the stampin' scrub.

OH yeah, and one day older DS was thinking of ways to use the All Aboard set, and gasped out loud, "Oh, wouldn't it be neat if we could use it to stamp on the walls?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2004, 10:56 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Ah, woe is me! My 21 year-old DD does not share my passion for stamping! She has accompanied me to a few stamp conventions, and loved everything, but confessed it was just "not her". That is OK, though, because my 4 year old niece in Georgia actually asked for her own stamping kit for her birthday this year! My SIL says she is very careful and neat...good habits but hope I am not setting her up for any OCD traits!

She started Pre-K on the 2nd. How did I get to be this old? (wink) By the grace of God, of course! HAHAHAHAHA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 01:45 AM   #24  
Failed Lurker

Default minimising the damage!

A friend an I run an after-school stamping and card-making club at our children's school. It's so popular that almost half the school attends - luckily it's a tiny school!

We learned VERY quickly:

1 Only have one colour of ink pad on the table at a time. Clean up before you change to a new colour

2. And now, we varnish the surrounding wood on our stamps, to stop the ink just spreading and spreading. This way we can let them use our "best" stamps without worrying.

All our children stamp - the most worrying one is my friend's 10-year-old daughter who makes cards that would not look out of place on this site!! We used to give her our old magazines/catalogues and stamps... but now she's becoming too much of a threat!!

Helen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 04:01 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

My 2 1/2 year old daughter loves to work with stamps! Any time I am at my stamping table, she comes down the stairs saying, "stamps, stamps!" and has to search for the ones that she wants stamped on the back of her hands.
For a while, it was the airplane and car from Travel Time - which resulted in a stamp halfway up her arm since they are so big!

She also loves the wheels - just have to make sure that there is not an important project around her - she tends to roll it EVERYWHERE!

I need to buy some of the kid stamp pad and the tattoo kit - she would love them... hmmm... I could begin my Xmas shopping with these ideas.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2004, 04:38 AM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

My 3 y.o son loves to stamp with me. I even bought him his own set of stamps, going somewhere, and a couple of the kids stamp pads. Everytime I sit down to stamp he wants to join in. He is very careful about his stamping and only uses one color at a time then asks me to clean his stamps for him so he can use another color. Mostly he just stamps on printer paper. He was so cute for my birthday this year. My husband says he asked to stamp a card for me. My husband helped him, and Logan chided him for not cleaning the stamps...then showed him how.
Reply With Quote Likes