Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-19-2005, 06:42 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just wondering...............

I have been wondering about why YOU personally stamp...
Sometimes I feel ( I will admit it) guilty about the $$ spent and time that
I spend in my craft room....and sometimes the results are not
very impressive But I justify it by explaining that it is my
therapy!

SO-I would like to hear other reasons individuals stamp and what
do you personally get from the process.

Thanks for sharing~
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 06:58 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it very therapeutic. It's the only other hobby I have other than reading. It calms me, I love the results and I love the compliments I get from them.

My husband spends $$ on beer and other things that don't "Last" so I don't feel guilty at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 07:10 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

The results are fairly irrelevent. Its the whole process of creating and being able to exercise your brain in a different way, and reconnecting with our imagination. Remember how much fun it was to fingerpaint or colour as a child? Was our first thought what result we would end up with? No ... we loved experiencing the feel of the paint in our fingers and the smell of the crayons. When we finished, we thought it was the most beautiful thing in the world - only because we made it. That was satisfaction enough. That's the feeling I get ... that childish pleasure of colouring and cutting and gluing and glittering ... the delight of "making something pretty" ... and the excitement of those times when you finish it and say "hey, look what I did that!"

I don't think anyone needs to feel guilty about having a hobby they enjoy as long as their family isn't suffering financially or emotionally. I think that if we have something that gives us personal satisfaction, it makes us happier partners.

"Creativity is a continual surprise" (Ray Bradbury)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 07:13 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

For me it's the only creative outlet I have (along with my scrapbooking). I'm limited in terms of creative talent and this hobby allows people of all levels to enjoy ourselves. It let's me expand my boundaries just a bit at a time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 07:16 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I have never felt guilty about the purchases I make. I don't always use what I buy right away but it's there for me to use at some point.

I had a reality check last year with my husband though. I was getting on him about making major purchases like TV's abd DVD players without talking to me first and he pointed out that I spend that much and probably more on scrapping and stamping without consulting him first. Ever since then, we have both turned our heads on each others purchases. LOL

I bought a PDA this weekend. He asked how much it cost and I told him it coast about the same as the MP3 player he bought the year before. That shut him up! LOL

I stamp and scrap for therapy. But I have to admit the shopping part and the "looking for inspiration online" part are the real therapy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 07:17 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamps for Smiles

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking Reasons I stamp...

Hummm...does one REALLY need to justify themselves WHY they do something or enjoy something like this?? I mean, it's not like we are stealing cars, robbing banks or murdering someone!! I would much rather say that someone has a "problem" with this than some of the other things that I've seen people spend money on. I just simply enjoy doing it...it keeps me busy, lets me spend time with others, gives me something to talk about with others (who enjoy hearing about it that is!) and my husband enjoys the fact that I am keeping myself busy by doing something for "my family" and myself.

I call it doing something for my family because I refuse to go to the store to buy a card for anyone and I love to make scrapbook pages of my family and I also take my money I earn from demoing and put it right back into what I'm doing and that's how I "justify" spending the money on it. I basically ONLY use the money I've earned to buy things for myself and items needed for my classes and swaps that I do. I LOVE to get other people's ideas and LOVE to know that I'm not the ONLY crazy person out there!! (I mean...this many people CAN'T be wrong...can they?!?)

So I say, just relax and enjoy yourself spending your time doing something you enjoy! you only live once. I will say, however, if you are putting yourself in the poor house with your stamping, then you need to look at a way of using what you have and come up with something new!! That's what I LOVE about this sight! You can look up ANY stamp set you have...even retired ones...and find new ideas on how to use them!! Make something else other than a card! Experiment with different materials around your house!! The possibilities are endless!!! So no need to know WHY...just do it!!!;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 07:27 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default thanks

In my heart, I know and agree with everything you have
said~I just wanted to make sure I wasn't alone
My creativity is minimal, but I do enjoy seeing what you
guys come up with and it sometimes pushes me from my
comfort zone. And then *WOW* look what I made! Cool.
the post about the MP3 player reminded me of a conversation
I had with my DH several years agon..........He loves to putter in the garden
and especially making up seasonal pots for our front entry
way; but it seemed to me he was ALWAYS buying more ceramic
pots. I asked him when he thought he would have enough
and he answered 'when you have enough Longaberger baskets".
That sort of put it into perspective Thanks for supporting me
in my creativity~gailbird
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 08:06 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I don't feel guilty one bit. My husband has been a home brewer for years. He's glad I finally have a hobby too, he says I can't complain about what he spends on his now - lol. Not that he cares for stamping although it's interesting to say he doesn't care he sure has suggetions for my cards - lol.

I also don't feel guilty about the time I spend doing it, it makes me happy. I'm 33 and thrilled that I finally found something I think is worth spending my free time on, there never had been anyhting before that interested me enough. I kind of felt weird before for never having a hobby when people asked what I did in my spare time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 08:17 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I started out doing computer graphics but was missing out on actually being able to feel and touch textures, the paper and other accessories I was working with. I don't feel guilty at all (Well a little at times) because hubby and I are on our own, I don't work outside the home and there is only so much housework type stuff you can do in a day/week. Need something else to keep me occupied and keep me from going stir crazy and get cabin fever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 08:29 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Another SCSer, Beth (showmestamper), has a saying in her sig line that I just love..."Stamping soothes my soul". That is true for me. I honestly think it's a brain chemical thing...endporphins or seratonin or whatever - LOL! But it really is soothing.

I don't feel gulity about money spent because DH has way more expensive hobbies...and because I earn enough from being a demo to completely support my habit. I do sometimes have issues with guilt over the time I spend stamping, because there's always something else around the house I "should" be doing, but I'm working on getting over that.

There's nothing like being in my stamp room completely unaware of time as I'm lost in a project. Bliss!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 09:21 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I stamp because I like being able to produce something that doesn't have to be done over right away (unlike housework). That's very satisfying. I've loved paper, pens and scissors since I was a little girl, so stamping was a hobby I took to naturally. I also stamp because I love being able to make a gift or card without having to go out and buy something. Just like I stock my pantry for success in the kitchen, I like to stock other parts of my life with tools that enhance the living. That's why I have stamping supplies, floral supplies, lots of vases and candlesticks, nice dishes, cloth napkins, good books on my shelves and a few bottles of wine in the cabinet. To some people that seems fussy and complicated, but to me it's actually more simple. I strongly dislike having to "run out" for things. I like to be prepared - whether it's for company, or for being snowed in! (Actually I'm a materialistic packrat, but I'm a pro at justifying that!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I stamp for therapy, relaxation and just because it makes others feel good too! I try to regularly send cards to our local nursing home to brighten a patient's day or if I see in the newspaper it's their birthday or other special occasion (yep, I live in a hick town that includes much of this type of info in the newspaper!). I love to send RAK's and make a difference in my own little way!

My DH golfs, so mostly I do not feel guilty about spending money on stamps and accessories!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 09:35 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sometimes feel guilty about the money I spend, only because I am a SAHM and money is very tight. But, I never feel guilty for the time I spend. A motto I have recently adopted is, "Self care is not selfish. It's an investment in the future of my family." I am a better mom because I take time to stamp, I am a better wife because I take time to stamp and I am a better person because I take time to stamp. Plus I am usually making something for somebody else, to encourage them, to make them feel special, to lift them up. It makes me feel better about myself and I agree, it is therapy. I *love* to stamp!! It makes me happy!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 09:43 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I stamp because my life has soooooo much stress and it really makes me feel good. I can create something that is my own and if I don't like it, I give it to my DD to tear up (she's 2). It's a win, win situation then, lol.
Actually, I just love some time for me. I'm a SAHM and spend all of my time with little one. So when she's napping it's a great outlet for "me time". I think the world would be a better place if everyone stamped. Beats the alternatives some come up with for something to do....right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 11:23 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

I stamp b/c I enjoy it. I love the instant gratification I get from making a card. I started scrapbooking a few months ago and was AMAZED at how easy I found it to be and how great it felt to get pics out of the photo album and scrap them. Even my DH has commented on how much nicer the photo's look in my layouts than just sitting in an album. For me it IS therapy - and the $$ spent on it are much less than they would be if I were seeing a shrink ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 12:14 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh my gosh...........well, first let me say that I am addicted to anything crafty!! I love working with all kinds of "stuff" like polymer clay, beads, I love to color, I have a kiln, wheel, rolling table (for clay).......but this card thing is my most recent addiction and I'TS BIG!!!!!! I can't seem to get enough of it. I would deffinately say that it's GREAT therapy and gives you a chance to get together with friends and make some fun stuff!

My hobby (hobbies) is much cheaper than my husbands as he likes to buy old cars and restore them. SO.....................no.............I don't feel one bit guilty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 12:16 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

I stamp because I love the creativity of the whole process. We live in a world of responsibilities but rarely do we have a chance to actually create art. That's what we all do - create art. It is also very rewarding because you don't have to spend weeks and weeks making a quilt or knitting a sweater. Usually within one day, your project is done.

Also, I have met several really incredible people doing this craft. I really look forward to the classes and seeing my new friends. It is a tonne of fun.

C

http://sailingwithscissors.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #18  
KLF
Kookie Creator

I agree with most of the posts, but I also believe that stamping relieves stress because you can accomplish a project in a relatively short time. I like all kinds of crafts, but there's huge satisfaction in having a finished project done quickly. (I should say that I joke to my stamping friends that I don't specialize in Take Ten cards, I specialize in Take One cards--as in one minute. A bit of an exaggeration, but not that much sometimes.)

Though I'm retired now, when I worked, I was usually working on some huge project or ongoing task and you rarely were able to say, "There, I'm done" and look back at your accomplishments. It's the same with work around the house--you can say you're done, but it just has to be done over again in a relatively short time!

I make all my cards. I went to a card store a couple years ago to buy one and I was stunned at the prices. The money I spend on my hobby at least partially offsets what I'd spend on cards. Plus I'd probably send a lot fewer.

Creativity, stress relief, satisfaction, keeping in touch with friends and family, and saving some money--what else could you ask from a hobby?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 05:59 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

When my oldest was about 4 months old (and I had found NO time to do my handwork), I started painting baby bottles. I was so desperate to do something creative and they were quick (and useful). That's when I realized that I don't do crafts just because I want to - it's because I'm compelled to. I don't really know what it is about them other than the creative part - watching something come together from nothing. I started sewing in 5th grade and have done something creative ever since. I've done lots of sewing, cross stitch, quilting, knitting, scrapbooking - stamping is just my latest love. Yes, I feel guilty sometimes about the financial investment I've made but I always feel so good when I make something for someone that it overcomes any guilt I have for buying so many supplies. I think hobbies are a wonderful thing and frankly, I wonder every day what people without them do with themselves!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 06:10 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Smile

I must admit that I do stamping, scrapping, genealogy and gardening because I love do them and with the hobbies I don't have time for housework <LOL> something I don't love to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 06:15 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have always liked cards, but I hated going to the store and buying them. I was invited to my first stamping party, and I thought how dumb is that. But once I went to the party and saw how much fun it was and what great things you could make I was hooked. Now I never buy cards, I make what I need and I send out lots of cards. It's very relaxing for me and it sure beats cleaning the house and washing the clothes. I just heard tho, that the price of stamps are going up to 39 in January.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2005, 06:27 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

The stamp price doesn't bother me - MY DH says if I can drive "there" for less than the cost of the stamp - hand deliver! Otherwise - Post it. And with the price of gas lately - I'll still be "stamping" and "stamping" my cards in the mail.

If it's free, it's advice;
if it costs $$, it's counseling;
if it WORKS! It's a Miracle!!

A~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2005, 04:08 AM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

For me, it is theraputic and fun. I have always had a creative outlet for a hobby.... thru the years (yes lots of years) I have gone from counted cross stitch to tole painting to scrapbooking and stamping. I guess I have been scrapbooking about 6 years and stamping really 6 months (but buying stamp stuff for 3 or 4 years).

I love to learn a new skill and then incorporate it into my scrapbooking. This site has really helped me go from a blah! stamper (embossing or simple black ink only) to doing some neat, neat techniques! Have not mastered them all yet, but I sure have come a long way!

Several of us were discussing the amount of supplies/tools we had in our scrapbook/stamp rooms the other night. OMG!!!! When I tried to add up my QK collection, the few sizzix dies (okay 7 towers), my 4 Cropper Hopper mega workstations full of 12 x12, all those stamps and stamp pads..... well lets say I could have probably put nearly $10,000 into a house or a car or a European vacation! LOL......

Well not getting rid of my stuff.... simply plotting and planning and trading and swapping and ebaying for MORE!!!!!!!

I love to come home from work and simply sit at my desk and work. Whether I am scrapbooking, stamping or paper piecing, I am escaping into a world of colors and creativity.... and having something to show for my time when I am completed. The friendships I have made thru my crafts are a wonderful bonus too!

Just let your hubby's go play golf, head for the football games and tail gate parties, tinker with their cars, work in their woodshops, or relax with the remotes....... I am going to go be creative instead!
Reply With Quote Likes