Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2004, 02:07 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just plain wrong....

I just put some of my retiring used sets up for sale on ebay...for a reasonable price.....and

I saw NATURES SKETCHBOOK selling for $44.00.

:(
That is just plain wrong.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 02:10 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

oh my..

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stampinwithjoleen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 02:24 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:o I believe it was P.T. Barnum who said, "There's a sucker born every minute." Some people just like to collect and will pay any price for the objects of their desire. The trouble is that it drives the price up for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2004, 12:26 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

You know what, tho'? It's the buyers' prerogative to bid it up that high, not the sellers. So, if they want to spend that much on it, and they have that much to spend, what's wrong about it? (that's a rhetorical question.) Now, if the seller were LISTING it for $44.00, THAT WOULD be just plain wrong. Before Stella Stamper was re-released last year during the 15-year celebration, I saw one go on Ebay for $104.00. :shock: No kidding!
My $ .02.
Becky G
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2004, 01:07 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Wowser! I got mine on eBay for a meer $24.00 with shipping...it was a great buy!

I need more stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2004, 01:32 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have to jump in here and comment....I decided to check out Ebay for SU products (there were only 300 plus pages :lol: ) Anyway, I spotted an old set that I happen to have, don't use and have thought about getting rid of. The set is Love Bakes, Country Hutch, & Old Fashioned Stove (they also had a shelf & Harvest of Friendship.) I about fell off my chair when I saw the bid was at $217.50 ....YIKES! It was advertised as RARE...good grief! Now there's no way I can get rid of this set and it's "too good to use"
I'm sure this is just another example of Ebay Auction Fever. There is no way a stamp set can be that valuable unless it has diamonds inset on the top! Fire away with additional ridiculous Ebay examples...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2004, 03:44 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Now that's funny! I wouldn't be NOT using it because it's too valuable, rather I'd have it up on e-bay to sell right along with the others in hopes that I too would get that rediculous amount (to, no doubt, spend on other stamping supplies that I'd use). I agree that if someone is willing to pay that amount, then they are the ones that are the sukers. Don't blame the seller!

It reminds me of anything people deem "collectable" like baseball cards (afterall, they're only PAPER, not wood AND rubber, ha ha). In reality, everything is only worth what someone will pay for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2004, 04:29 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Default Just plain wrong

It really amazes me too, how much SU sells on ebay higher than what I can get it from my demonstrator for. If it's still in the catalog I would rather support my demonstrator than pay more for it. It sounds as if the people who buy must not know a demonstrator or not have one in their area. What a pity!
My demonstrator will usually give me 10% off (which usually pays for shipping) when I attend one of her stamp camps. It keeps me coming back for more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2004, 05:29 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Once I saw Itty Bitty Backgrounds going for over $30! It is only 11.95 in the catalog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2004, 06:31 PM   #10  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the 4 SAB sets go for over $180-just for the sets. Can you imagine how much more that person would have gotten if they had just paid $150-they would have had 3 of teh SAB sets, $150 in merchandise, plus 1 hostess set, plus $15 free in other merchandise.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2004, 07:49 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think we mind at all about retired sets being sold, but when you see stamps that can only be gotten by preorder already up on Ebay before you even have a chance to SHOW them to your customers, when you see people getting fleeced by sellers who are selling inspiration sheets, which are supposed to be free give aways, when they sell the Stampin' Technique booklets for $5 a piece when I give them free to every new customer (I don't give them to those who already have one...they don't need them after all if they already have one), when I see SAB sets for sale when I've been telling my customers that they can only get them if they buy $50 in free merchandise during Sellabration...that makes me mad!! I went cruising around the 'Bay the other day and was amazed to see sets marked "Retired---rare" when they are still in the catalog, albeit on the retiring list. They haven't retired yet and could hardly be called rare!

The same thing happens in other hobbies as far as rarity value, though. There is a knitting book called "Principles of Knitting" by June Hiatt that has been out of print for years. Copies sell on Ebay for over $200. I have a copy that my mom found at a garage sale and paid $2. When I told her how much you had to pay on Ebay for one, she said, "Sell it and we'll split the money!" LOL!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2004, 10:06 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Default ebay

I hate to say, but I am one of those ebayer types, although I will never buy a set for more than it's price in the catalogue. I do try to buy from my demonstrator but some of the sets I really want are just to expensive so I check out ebay first and if I can't find it after a few attempts I will purchase from my demonstrator. I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. It's free enterprise and people should be able to do whatever they want with their sets once they have purchased them. It's not any different than when I see sets up for sale on this site and many times the retired one's are going for over original price so I don't see what the fuss is all about. If someone's willing to pay then who are we to say someone can't sell it for that price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2004, 06:28 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I think some of those sets you see going for ridiculous amounts might be going to stampers in other countries.

I found an Australia store online who was selling individual SU! stamps at prices that made my jaw hit the floor.

I sent an email to SU! about that one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2004, 04:20 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I am fairly new to stamping - about 6 months now and I admit I have bought a few stamp sets on E-bay but I also know the prices thanks to having my handy catalogue - I would never buy anything that I could get from my demo for the same price... I have mainly bought retired sets...

I have seen some of the pre-released to demos sets on E-bay - how do they get there wouldn't those people HAVE to be SU demos in order to get those stamp sets. I would assume some of the people selling on E-bay are actually SU demos as I have seen some e-bay people have pages and pages of stamp sets for sale (multiple ones of the same stamp set) and that is how they make thier sales - they sell them on E-Bay - if they loose out on a few bucks on one set they might make it up on another set.

Why wouldn't you try to find a demo in your area before buying on E-bay - in the end easier and cheaper probably. Oh well they say there is a sucker born every minute
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2004, 04:26 AM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,037 Likes on 477 Posts

I agree that eBay is a free enterprise, and as long as they're not demonstrators selling current sets, then let the buyer pay what they think they're worth! Of course, my hubby sells on eBay (not stamp stuff!) so it's nice when he makes a good profit, but I have sold a few retired things and supplies I got that were not Stamping Up before. After the Air Art tool discontinued, I sold mine on eBay and I think it went for $24. When something is retired, it's worth more. But it bugs me that some people put "retired" in ALL their listings, knowing they aren't!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2004, 04:43 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

OH MY! Ebay has always been an issue for other companies such as CM. I feel the same as angeldoxie - I too buy from ebay and have for YEARS. I enjoy looking to see what people will sell and what others will pay for it. As a previous CM Consultant I hated it when things went on ebay just as the consultants were getting them. Before the customers could get them but seems that CM has tried to put a stop to that. Either way I try to always buy from my Many Demonstrators before buying a current set on ebay. But I do watch my $ and see what the best deal is on some things. I have to save more than $2 or 3 bucks before I will go ebay over my demonstrators (that includes tax and shipping). It is very frustrating to see things go for such crazy high amounts tho. I wish people would not run the prices up so much on things cuz it just makes it harder for the Demo or Consultant.
Just my thoughts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Before I signed up as a demo, I checked out ebay...OMGosh! I have neer seen a good deal on SU stamps on that site. I think the biggest problem is that ppl think they are getting a really good deal with bidding on Ebay. I don't think they have figured it out that ebay is no longer an online garage sale. It is big money now. And of course there is the Sucker Born Every Minute thing to consider.
When I see retired sets or mini catty sets on the bay, I don't really have a problem with that. I plan on selling some of my retired sets that I don't want to keep when it is officially retired to help pay for new sets. When I see ppl who are obviously demos selling current sets and accessories, that kinda worries me. I bust my butt to follow the rules. I don't really see it as cutting into my sales but I do see it as a reason to not follow the rules I agreeed to and signed my name to. (Don't get me wrong and please stop dialing SU! demo support lol I do follow the rules). It is frustrating to see current products up for sale. I am just as guilty as anyone else in looking for the best deal possible and I have found that going directly to a demo rather than ebay is the way to go. I still buy fabric, clothes, etc but you will not find me ordering any stamping or scrapping products. You will find rule breaking demos in every group. There is usually at least one or two Pampered Chef, Longaberger, Princess House, Southern LIving, etc. selling "for a friend" or "clearing out my stock"

Final thought...be careful what you pay for...let suckers pay what they will pay...do it legally.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2004, 11:56 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I agree that Ebay is not a garage sale anymore. I find that the stampers on SCS are GREAT about giving wonderful prices/deals on their used or unused sets. You just can't pass up their great deals. Thanks to the 3 ladies I have gotten sets from just in the last month or so, I have made some great deals and gotten some sets I've wanted.
Neppie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2004, 12:43 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Default ebay

I have to say something...A close friend signed up to be a demostrater. She would buy from ebay/and other reps from vaires web sites prior to becoming a rep. It is ok for her to buy from ebay etc, but after I did she smeared my name about town and sent horrible emails to others about me and called me varies names. She wanted my money but was so jealous of the deals I was finding elsewhere she couldn't handle it. I will buy stamps, papers etc. where I get the best deal.
As you do with groceries, hair products or anything else. A car, carpet - we all shop around.
America is the land of the free.
To hell with that friend - who wasn't a friend afterall.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2005, 11:22 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplewinkle
Once I saw Itty Bitty Backgrounds going for over $30! It is only 11.95 in the catalog!
:cool: Hmmmm, I have an extra set of those.... <evil laugh>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2005, 01:53 AM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have bought quite a few sets on E-bay. Simple somethings, just jeans and a few more. Most are never used and all were bought for less then catalog price and that includes shipping. I have bid on plenty of sets but will never pay more than than what I can get from my demo. Its buyer beware out there but there are deals out there too.

Diane S in NC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2005, 02:06 AM   #22  
mothermcbride

You know, I have sold a few sets on ebay and a few individual stamps. But, I've NEVER gotten lots of money for them. I sold my 2004 SAB sets for not much more than my listing price. Now, some people start the bidding at 99 cents, I never do that because I'd be afraid I'd get even less. The only thing I ever made money on was a couple of Mary's Moo Moos collectibles.

If we could get reasonable money for things at a yard sale, that would be the way to go because it's a pain to sell on ebay, at least for me. I'm always worried if someone is going to give me a bad review (sometimes I don't even get one), you have to run around to get things shipped, just not all that worthwhile for us.

I'm not a demo but sometimes, it annoys ME that some SU stuff goes for so much. Naturally, it's not my business and I'm not going to get my panties all in a bunch about but ... Sometimes, I wish I could email the buyer and say wake up or email the seller and say, no, that set is not retired or rare. Instead, I just shake my head and click off.

Hey, have a nice day everyone!! Most of the day here was beautiful yesterday. Hopefully it will be equally nice today.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2005, 01:56 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Sometimes a set will go well above catalog price on ebay and the next week the same set won't even get the catalog price. It just depends on who happens to be looking at the time and how many are available. But, there are some 'in demand' sets that consistently get a big price. But that's not limited to ebay. A set such as Dreams and Dragons always go high on ebay. But, I've tried to buy off the SCS board and SU board and guess what - the purchase price there is high too. So, ebay or not, supply and demand influences the price. I may some day break down and purchase it but it's because I really want it and if I pay 40 or 50 for it, it's because it's worth it to me.

I did run across something that I think is not prohibited by the demo agreement but still stinks. I purchased a retired set on ebay at less than the original price. It received it and a few days later received a letter from the seller. She told me she was a demo and offered to sell me a catalog for $5.00. She went on to say that she would be happy to be my demo and I could email her with my orders and she would give me 10-15% off the catalog price.
Reply With Quote Likes