Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Is it just me...

and am I just a cranky girl? I think that it's SO MUCH faster and easier to hand-cut most stamped images than it is to try to line up a die and cross your fingers that nothing shifts (even if you tape it) when you run it through your die-cutting machine! There are some that make sense to me (like labels, for example, that need to be precise to look right) but most leave me wondering - especially simple shapes like an umbrella or boot. Understand that I'm thinking ONLY of dies that coordinate with stamped images. Dies like doilies and alphabets and borders I totally understand (and own and use). PLUS - the storage issues make my head hurt... Thoughts?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I love stamps and I love dies. But, sometimes that die is just isn't necessary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:39 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very choosy about what dies I buy. I have some that I love...but I haven't gone overboard on them. The ones I like are generally banners, or basic shapes. Otherwise, I'm one to just use scissors, too. I do like the crispness you get with the dies, though--they are quite precise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm another one in your camp, Sue! In general, if a product has a single use, I'm not interested. So a die that co-ordinates with a specific stamp probably isn't going to make it into my craft room. I understand that some people might have issues that makes cutting with scissors difficult though and the co-ordinating dies are probably a huge boon for them.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I'm another one in your camp, Sue! In general, if a product has a single use, I'm not interested. So a die that co-ordinates with a specific stamp probably isn't going to make it into my craft room. I understand that some people might have issues that makes cutting with scissors difficult though and the co-ordinating dies are probably a huge boon for them.

Good point - hadn't thought of that...thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am one who loves to have coordinating dies! I am horrible at cutting. I cannot cut an even border to save my life. Now, I have a friend who I refer to as Shari Scissorhands because if you hand that lady a pair of scissors - be prepared to stand back and be amazed! I often used to wonder why people would buy square punches or circle punches; I mean, is there an easier shape in the world? As time went by and I added some "pop" to my cards, I understood how much difference a punch or die can really make.

As far as dies to match specifically with a stamp, if it is a stamp that will get a lot of use, then I am all over matching dies. Cost is always a deciding factor; I will only pay so much for that precision! If the matching die is too much, I might even forego getting the stamp set as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I'm with you, Sue. I did buy ONE set of matching dies because I wanted to experience them and see whether they were worth the money. I decided that matching dies would be an extravagance that I didn't need.

That doesn't keep me away from OTHER dies, though! Or punches.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I flunked scissor cutting 101 in kindergarten! If my previous demo had us making a card that required cutting an image I would hand her the scissors and image to cut for me...LOL Personally would rather have the dies that match the stamp sets. I agree it can be a pain to get them lined up and stay in place but stay tuned....there is a magnetic platform coming for the big shot that supposedly solves this problem. At least that's what I've been told.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I prefer to use dies rather than scissors and I usually buy dies for layering, for borders or floral dies that I can use with pretty papers. I have only one stamp/die set and I seldom use it. Give me dies and punches over scissors anytime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree. I use my punches for basic shapes and dies for more intricate or matching images. I am not good with fussy cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrysiadView Post
I prefer to use dies rather than scissors and I usually buy dies for layering, for borders or floral dies that I can use with pretty papers. I have only one stamp/die set and I seldom use it. Give me dies and punches over scissors anytime.
I totally agree with the layering/borders/florals thing. I have many punches and dies and use them as often (or more often) than I fussy-cut. I just was wondering about the whole stamps-with-coordinating-dies thing...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

I don't think I do a very good job with fussy cutting, so I do like dies. I like the look of the edge that the die gives as well.

The process does take me some time - I cut out the die cut first, stick it down with temporary adhesive, get out the stamp-a-ma-jig to line up the stamp on the die cut...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #13  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

One way is not better than the other, just personal preference.

I'm belong to the group of 'dies and punches over scissors anytime'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a slight tremor in one of my wrists, so cutting can be difficult for me. I do still fussy cut sometimes, but it takes me a long time because I have to go really slow. So I appreciate dies. But to be honest, I only own a handful that match stamp sets, I mostly use Nestabilities and border dies.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I have SOME dies that coordinate with specific stamps, but even those are compatible with other stamps so I get more use. The dies I have that coordinate with stamps are simple banners, pennants, that sort of thing, that I know align with more than just one stamp set. I can't ever see me buying one die for one stamp--I live in a 600 sq foot apartment--ain't nobody got room for that! ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

NO, not at all... I have a set I bought a matching die for and I could not make it work,

and some time pasted and another co. came out with same thing cool stamp with a matching die... and nope. cannot make that one work either.

then a third co. did it. I caved and I found I could make this one work...

so when a 4th co. did it, yes. that followed me home too... its a dust catcher.

I have figured this out.

I *heart* rubber stamps over any other kind.

my matching dies that I have that I cannot get to work properly are for rubber stamps. ( cannot see the die, so even bending my knees trying, crossing fingers and praying I am lining it up is not working.

the set that works is clear.

but, I tend to cut most things by hand and I know at some point I may not be able to do that. ( I know a lot of older people in that condition ) so, I think what the plan for me is only if its way cool and I will get a lot of use out of it and or its too intricate to cut by hand and its a CLEAR stamp will I get anymore "sets"

hth

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
my matching dies that I have that I cannot get to work properly are for rubber stamps. ( cannot see the die, so even bending my knees trying, crossing fingers and praying I am lining it up is not working.

the set that works is clear.
are you cutting first, then stamping...or are you stamping first, taping the die in place, then cutting??
Old 05-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have stamp sets that have matching dies that I love and stamp sets that I bought the dies for and then gave up on because they were a drag to use. PTI dies are, in my opinion, very frustrating dies to use because have a solid back so you are supposed to cut then stamp and that's something I just can't seem to do very well. On the other hand, I have three sets of Hero Arts stamps that have matching open-backed Sizzix dies and they are such a snap to use that I always use them.

I just bought some stamps from Local King and they are very intricate, so I bought the dies. But there is a specific way to use them, you make a negative template, and so I'm going to give it a try. I love the stamps so it's worth it to me.

When I first started stamping, I really wanted dies for every stamp. I thought stamps looked better die cut. I thought my fussy cutting could never rival a die. But now I look back at cards I made with fussy cutting and they look perfectly fine. Of course, I have to wear optivisors to do good fussy cutting, but that's just cause I'm getting old, and my eyes ain't what they used to be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Whoops. Didn't mean to post twice. Don't know how that happened...

But since I'm here again, I'd just say that the issue of finding a workable die cut storage system is always challenging. I'm still fine-tuning mine. But we figure out how to store the things we love to use.

If it's too much aggravation to store, you probably don't need it because you probably don't love it. ;-)

Last edited by Rachelrose; 05-03-2013 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmbelleinaView Post
are you cutting first, then stamping...or are you stamping first, taping the die in place, then cutting??
I've tried it both ways.

two of these co.'s have little clear plastic things that came with the dies... ( I cannot figure out what to do with them) so, they are in their packages. the clear parts. I assume they are for lining it up some how but... I also cannot use an stamp a ma gig either :mrgreen:

so the set that is working for me is the clear stamp

die cut the shape then stamp on top of it. without any tape. because, I can see through the stamp. taping things does not always work for me much either when I try to remove the tape from the die and the image after a lot of the time it peels the cardstock.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just fussy-cut my images. I don't have too many dies - they all fit in a little drawer. Just ovals, circles, rectangles, and a few other shapes that don't have matching stamps - bookmark, tag, egg (didn't buy the matching stamp set). When/if the time comes where my hands or eyes get too bad to cut, I'll deal with it then. That'll be a lifetime away (or never), I'm hoping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

I love the dies that come with positioning plates. Stamp my image, use the plate to line it up, mark the little spots, then line up the die with those spots. A bit of washi tape and bam! Done. Takes almost no time at all. My favs are from A Muse Studio.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I find that a lot of the dies leave too much of a border around the stamped image. I can do a much better job with scissors.

I did buy some matching dies, but thankfully not too many before I figured out I prefer to hand cut stuff.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #24  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

For me, it depends on the stamp & die. I do have a FEW dies with matching stamp sets, but I am very choosy. In most cases, I bought the dies not necessarily to use with the set, but because I thought I could use the die separately. Like flowers - which can be die cut with any dp to make all kinds of neat ones. I have even bought dies that had a matching stamp set - but I bought the dies & not the stamps. I did buy the one SU! Christmas set this year that had the mug, tree, gingerbread man etc. I actually haven't found that one too hard to use - though I have found it easier for me to die cut first, then stamp after. I find it easier to line up that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that problem with some dies, especially if my machine has warped plates (more of a problem with my old Cuttlebug plates than with my newer Big Shot). Hoping getting a magnetic layer to hold dies in place will help for those detailed stamp/die combos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone had an opportunity to try the new SU Big Shot magnetic sandwich plate available May 31? Cannot wait to try it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I mostly agree with you. I have no issues with fussy cutting, but I'm always aware that other people do, and that dies are a life-saver for them. Hey, I only ever got cloud dies with prize money, because up till then I'd always reckoned I could cut them .
I do have two stamps with matching dies, and I've found the method described on the Impression Obsession website to work best. My matching dies and stamps are actually from a different company, and one is rubber with that clear placement guide Stacy is describing. But using that was very hit or miss (mostly miss) for me, whereas with the IO method (probably similar to the negative template Rachel mentions) it's hit every time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeannemlehrmanView Post
Has anyone had an opportunity to try the new SU Big Shot magnetic sandwich plate available May 31? Cannot wait to try it!
I love everything SU but I am not spending $40 on a multiplatform that is magnetic. If it were cheaper, yes. It's a good idea.

I have several stamp and die sets, but my deciding factor is can I buy more stamps to match? If I can then the dies are worth it. Same with punches. Can I buy other stamp sets to use it with....I like lots of choices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

What's the reason for it being magnetic? How does it improve using your dies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
What's the reason for it being magnetic? How does it improve using your dies?
It's supposed to hold the dies in place so they don't move when cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

You are not alone, Sue!

I do have some dies that coordinate with stamps but I don't use them very often. The only explanation I ever hear for why it could make a lot of sense is for doing large quantities. I don't usually do large quantities .

I think some of us actually enjoy "fussy cutting" - I think that it's fun to do, not just a means to an end. I like the challenge of being able to leave a little bit of a consistent border around the image.

Like you, Sue, I am downsizing (I think I have one more purge in me!) and dies are probably next on my list. Awhile back I also got a great deal on a Silhouette Portrait so if I ever do need to a machine to cut for me, I'm covered.

I was happy to see your question posed. I thought I was the only one who didn't quite get the allure of dies to coordinate with so many stamp sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Erica, those are the stamp-matched dies that I have, too. The A Muse dies with the clear positioning plates work wonderfully. They are the only ones where I would stamp first and then cut.

I also did get some die shapes that would work as silhouettes - dies that match stamps but that I wouldn't necessarily use with the stamps, just on their own.
Reply With Quote Likes