Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:33 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've HAD It With Swap Flakers

Okay, this is just a rant. I'll be over it in a minute...

But I just want to say to the notorious flakers who hostess swaps and join other people's swaps (with multiple spots, no less) that it is just PLAIN RIDICULOUS that you can't seem to fulfill ANY committment you have ON TIME or AT ALL. What is WRONG with you????

As a hostess, I send out multiple (annoying) reminders to all my swappers, with a countdown of when they should be in the mail so they arrive on time. I understand "life happens"...but EVERY TIME there's a swap you have a personal catastrophe? Come on, it gets old after a while.

Yes, I've reported you to the MODS, yes, they are taking action. The new rules work...but in the meantime, I have to scramble to find an angel for all of your stinkin' spots, or tell people they are going to get one or more of their own back or keep people waiting as you come up with excuse after excuse for why they haven't arrived. My favorite is the hostess/swapper who sent me a pm to "just chill"...after she hadn't responded to multiple pm's and posts. The reason she finally responded to me was because I posted on a swap she was HOSTING and asked if she'd be planning to fulfill her commitment in my swap.

And one more thing...when I say DUE IN MY MAILBOX, that is NOT the day you are supposed to mail them!!!

Okay...I feel slightly better now. I'm a nice person, really I am.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 07:03 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

It is okay to rant when you feel hurt. I don't blame you. I have fortunatly not had any problems with swaps so far, but it would really upset me if I had some flake out on me and it appears that you have had this happen more than once. I am glad that you contacted the MODS and that the new rules are in place for the swap forum. I personally don't understand how someone can't sign up for a swap and then do to there craft area and make up the swaps right away, that is what I do and then I can get them into the mail within a day or two of signing up. I know that life happens but obligations are a part of life and should be seen as such. I am with you on this Vickie and I hope things work out with the MODS and how they deal with the flakers. I hope your have a great day Vickie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So, I guess the change is swap rules and applying for memberships is suppose to take care of this??

Here I was a really on time, if not one of the first, swappers and then the rules change. I felt like I was kinda' pushed out--I obeyed the rules and did it all on time yet now I have to register again? It seems not so fair in my opinion.

I hope it cures the problems. It will have to be cured without me though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear of your frustrations. I was in two swaps a year ago (not from this board) and the card fronts I received were not very well done so I ended tossing most of them and would never do another swap again. I also did a swap on here for stamped images and got a terrible job done by the lady. The images were on very small pieces of cardstock and most of them had ink marks on them. I have sent lots of RAKs to people and never would send something I would not appreciate in return.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I am lucky to have had mostly good luck with swaps. Once in a while I have a person who can't finish her commitment, but typically I learn about it well in advance so I can get the spot covered.

Over the years, I have swapped with some of the same people and know their quality. We email each other when we host swaps and that helps fill up the spaces with folks who we know will do a good job.

Don't give up - there are some really talented ladies out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am done with swaps also, when i join a swap, i follow all directions on paper to use, ink and (penciling in what type of ink and paper used on the back). I mail them in promptly and then when i get mine i don't know what kind of ink was used, paper and the images are not always stamped clear. There i got it off my chest.
smallcity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with you, I'm in a swap now and the hostess is the one who is flaking (she can't find the time or energy to participate in it), but does tell on one of her blogs about her vacation and another blog of hers, she post cards to that she has made. She has time and energy to participate in a brand new swap she has opened and can participate/respond too in it! This will probably be the last swap I sign up for too. (:

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had something similar happen with my first and only cross stitch "round robin" last year. (I've been a stitcher for over 30 years) A couple of participants were months late, there was poor stitching techniques, etc. etc.
I'm not even going there with card making!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Keep Swapping

Just to clarify...I am NOT giving up on swapping. I love it, the majority of people follow-through, and the things I receive are usually great. If you are in a swap where the hostess is less than the "mostess"...REPORT HER to the MODS. We have to be a self-policing community and make sure the people who ruin it for the majority get banned so the rest of us can relax and enjoy our hobby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
Agree with you, I'm in a swap now and the hostess is the one who is flaking (she can't find the time or energy to participate in it), but does tell on one of her blogs about her vacation and another blog of hers, she post cards to that she has made. She has time and energy to participate in a brand new swap she has opened and can participate/respond too in it! This will probably be the last swap I sign up for too. (:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Vicki, I feel your pain! I have not participated in a lot of swaps, but the same person always ends up in the ones I am doing and is ALWAYS either late or just doesn't do the swap! It is really annoying, especially when you put your heart and soul into what you send.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I also wish people would just follow through. I am at the point where if a certain someone is in a swap, I don't want anything to do with it. I am very patient in that if it is running late I don't mind as long as there is communication. This one person flaked on her own swap then came back, right away signing up for a bunch of others and now guess what? Another reason she can't fulfill her commitments. I think there should be a rating system in place so you can see who follows through and who doesn't.
I want to say that I've had a great time swapping and for the most part everyone is awesome both as hostesses and participants. It's just a few that muck things up. I feel the rules for the hostesses are fine but what about those who sign up for a whole bunch and then flake on all of them!
Well there, I feel much better now. LOL Sorry for the rant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I, too, feel your pain. I've hosted and been in lots of swaps (none on SCS), and I don't think any of them were ever completed on time. There were always a few (sometimes the same few) who were going through a crisis of some sort just when a swap was due. (Of course, they always waited until the last minute.) Once it was the hostess who blew off the swap with an "oh well" attitude when all of the packages she supposedly sent out were "lost." When I reported this to the owner of the site, she told me that "things happen." What really sent me over the edge was when this flaker hostess was chosen to be on the Design Team for the message boards where I participated in the swap! :mad: Needless to say, she was very good friends with the owner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have never done any swaps, but just wanted to comment on something the OP said that picks me.... that I hate the "life got in the way" excuse. Everyone has "life"- if you start/join/organize/participate in something, do it,and finish it. That excuse is being used on almost every forum I frequent from PIF's, swaps, secret sisters exchanges and everything in between and it is old and a lousy excuse. there, I've said my piece
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by trulyblessedView Post
I have never done any swaps, but just wanted to comment on something the OP said that picks me.... that I hate the "life got in the way" excuse. Everyone has "life"- if you start/join/organize/participate in something, do it,and finish it. That excuse is being used on almost every forum I frequent from PIF's, swaps, secret sisters exchanges and everything in between and it is old and a lousy excuse. there, I've said my piece
HERE, HERE!! I totally agree with you on this one 100%!! It is a cop-out excuse that is toss out too frequently!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Vicki, HI!
I am sorry you have had some bad swap experiences. You could start a swap group with invited players...ones you have had good experiences with.

Also, I am on the Treasure Coast also! Are you in PSL? (You can pm me if you want to)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLScrapHappyView Post

But I just want to say to the notorious flakers who hostess swaps and join other people's swaps (with multiple spots, no less) that it is just PLAIN RIDICULOUS that you can't seem to fulfill ANY committment you have ON TIME or AT ALL. What is WRONG with you????

As a hostess, I send out multiple (annoying) reminders to all my swappers, with a countdown of when they should be in the mail so they arrive on time. I understand "life happens"...but EVERY TIME there's a swap you have a personal catastrophe? Come on, it gets old after a while.

Yes, I've reported you to the MODS, yes, they are taking action. The new rules work...but in the meantime, I have to scramble to find an angel for all of your stinkin' spots, or tell people they are going to get one or more of their own back or keep people waiting as you come up with excuse after excuse for why they haven't arrived. My favorite is the hostess/swapper who sent me a pm to "just chill"...after she hadn't responded to multiple pm's and posts. The reason she finally responded to me was because I posted on a swap she was HOSTING and asked if she'd be planning to fulfill her commitment in my swap.

And one more thing...when I say DUE IN MY MAILBOX, that is NOT the day you are supposed to mail them!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by trulyblessedView Post
My DH gets frustrated with me sometimes because when I commit, I commit and that's all there is to it. Therefore, I'm pretty choosy what I decide to get involved in, whether it's community activities, officer in a group or swap group.

I've done a couple of swaps and even though there was no problem with timing, the quality was not that great. I just had to think maybe there were beginning stampers and that was what they could do. But I'm not going to use my supplies, postage and time and I can't get something of equal quality.

Nuff said.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberLady603View Post
I also wish people would just follow through. I am at the point where if a certain someone is in a swap, I don't want anything to do with it. I am very patient in that if it is running late I don't mind as long as there is communication. This one person flaked on her own swap then came back, right away signing up for a bunch of others and now guess what? Another reason she can't fulfill her commitments. I think there should be a rating system in place so you can see who follows through and who doesn't.
I want to say that I've had a great time swapping and for the most part everyone is awesome both as hostesses and participants. It's just a few that muck things up. I feel the rules for the hostesses are fine but what about those who sign up for a whole bunch and then flake on all of them!
Well there, I feel much better now. LOL Sorry for the rant.
That's what galls me most...flaking on someone else's swap(s) when you are hostessing your own. HELLO?? I would LOVE to have a rating system with stars (like ebay). At least it would let you know that the person you're swapping with has a track record--good or bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel? LOL

Sorry you're so frustrated too. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I would LOVE to have a rating system with stars (like ebay). At least it would let you know that the person you're swapping with has a track record--good or bad.
I think that's a fantastic idea!!! This issue is one of the several reasons I stopped joining swaps. I really wasn't diggin' the nasty surprises so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm actually doing much better. I'm over it now. Really. I am. Really.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I really like the idea of a rating system too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

I don't blame you for venting. I have hosted swaps and been a participant in them and I have very little faith in people anymore. I've been in swap woth one particular woman who lives in Minnesota who consistantly burns people. I've looked over all of her posts on other threads and she makes excuses all the time and yet, she seems to be on vacation often in other posts so I don't know what her deal is. So frustrating.

I'm all for a rating system like eBay. You can give feedback and make a decision on whether or not you want to deal with that person based on the feedback. You should be able to rate their on time ability, adhereance to swap criteria, quality, flakiness factor, etc. It would save us a lot of time that way. I know that will never happen, but one can dream!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I am so with you about a rating system!!! I love swapping and don't think I would ever stop, but it sure would be nice to at least start with a level playing field. Maybe if enough people want a rating system......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I once got a swap 3 years AFTER the hostess said she mailed them out...it was here on SCS, and I had given up....When they arrived, they reeked soooo bad of cigarette smoke, the sets used on the swaps were LONG retired and pretty much useless. It did make me laugh though that they came through so late (the postmark date was THIS year...not 3 years ago, so I don't think they got 'lost' at the post office but I could be wrong).

I hate flakers too - I quit joining swaps - it got really frustrating for me!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I feel the same way as smallcity does. I, too, follow all the "rules" set by the hostess and I make it a point to ALWAYS have my stuff in early, just so the hostess can contact me if there is something wrong and I have time to redo everything.
I spent a lot of time trying to stamp images clearly, making sure they are centered so people can crop them, writing the name of the ink on the back, etc. If I see a stray ink mark or any other problem, I save that piece of card stock for MYSELF to use!
I have gotten back so many images that were not stamped dark enough to see the lines, images with some of the lines missing, blurry images,several small images on 1 piece of card stock so close together that you can't even cut them apart, wrong size card stock from what was stated in the rules, no name of the ink written on the back and inky finger prints on them.:twisted:

When the HOSTESS receives images like that, why don't they return them to the stamper? That kind of work is not only unacceptable but also UNUSABLE!

Why bother having the HOSTESS post any rules if all images are accepted anyway?:confused:

Needless to say, I have stopped joining swaps. There are a few individuals that I swap with because I know they can be counted on to do good work.

I'm finished ranting now. I'll just crawl back into my "cave."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_place_for_inkView Post
I once got a swap 3 years AFTER the hostess said she mailed them out...it was here on SCS, and I had given up....When they arrived, they reeked soooo bad of cigarette smoke, the sets used on the swaps were LONG retired and pretty much useless. It did make me laugh though that they came through so late (the postmark date was THIS year...not 3 years ago, so I don't think they got 'lost' at the post office but I could be wrong).

3 YEARS????!!! Okay, you win. Wow.

About the rating system:
I know that when they changed the rules and made people join the group and all that, a rating system was mentioned. However, I think I remember the MODS saying that SCS couldn't get it to work or something like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_place_for_inkView Post

Oh my GOODNESS!:o That really made me laugh! The part about the 3 years late but with a current year post mark, not about the cigarette smell.
I wonder who she thought she was fooling ? Anybody would check the post mark for the date if they received that kind of package "out of the blue!"

I guess you just threw them out because they smelled so bad. I KNOW I would!

Welcome to the "Quit Swapping Club!" LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

That's what galls me most...flaking on someone else's swap(s) when you are hostessing your own. HELLO?? I would LOVE to have a rating system with stars (like ebay). At least it would let you know that the person you're swapping with has a track record--good or bad.
Wonderful idea!! Hopefully SCS will start something like this too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love doing swaps and have had great luck in getting them all shipped back on time. For me, I don't sign up for the swap until I have the cards done. That way I know I won't run out of time. Just my way of not flaking.

www.flatfishpaperarts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatfishView Post
I love doing swaps and have had great luck in getting them all shipped back on time. For me, I don't sign up for the swap until I have the cards done. That way I know I won't run out of time. Just my way of not flaking.
Now that's an interesting idea. Glad your experiences have been good. Mine have mostly been that way too...but when it's bad, it's really BAD.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #31  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

About the rating system:
I know that when they changed the rules and made people join the group and all that, a rating system was mentioned. However, I think I remember the MODS saying that SCS couldn't get it to work or something like that.
The use of a rating system was discussed behind the scenes. It was decided at that time that using a rating system was something that SCS preferred to forgo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

considering the expense of swapping, I am doing it less for that reason-flakers, and others that don't put much into their swaps. One swap hostess, kept or could not explain what happended to 4 of the swappers packages, needless to say she was
reported to mods. I agree, it doesn't happen often, but I also think it is so disappointing when a person puts so much work into their package and others don't. I will maybe keep swapping, but check more on hostess last swaps, or sign up at the end to see what the galleries look like for those that are participating, unfortunately. I also keep a poor swappers list for myself, when I see it reported on this site.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 05:41 AM   #33  
Glitter Guru

I was in two swaps about a year ago and both had flakers. One swap we waited for weeks on a couple of swappers who promised repeatedly that the stuff was mailed the day before - one of these swappers finally admitted she just never did the swap and the other one's swap arrived very late.

The other swap I finally gave up on because I just never heard anything, never got my originals back and never got anything from.

Those were my first and last swaps ever.

After that I looked into the swappers a little more and found that the ones who we were waiting on had a history of being late and missing deadlines.

Never again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 06:19 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Again...that's really a shame because the majority of the people who participate really do follow-through. I think it's interesting how many "reads" this thread has gotten in less than 24 hours...obviously a hot topic...

Quote:

Originally Posted by transprntbutterflyView Post
I was in two swaps about a year ago and both had flakers. One swap we waited for weeks on a couple of swappers who promised repeatedly that the stuff was mailed the day before - one of these swappers finally admitted she just never did the swap and the other one's swap arrived very late.

The other swap I finally gave up on because I just never heard anything, never got my originals back and never got anything from.

Those were my first and last swaps ever.

After that I looked into the swappers a little more and found that the ones who we were waiting on had a history of being late and missing deadlines.

Never again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Question then.. how do we find out who is a flake and who is a respected swapper or Hostess? I have done 2, the first one was adequate although I will never do that TYPE of swap again( just doesn't fit in with my needs/desires) and the second I was pretty happy with what I got both time wise and quality wise.

I would like to try another swap or two at some point.. probably after the spousal unit gets back from deployment and we have reacquainted ourselves :twisted: but with this new requirement to join I am not sure I am going to make a smart choice as to which one(s) to do...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsjvbView Post
Question then.. how do we find out who is a flake and who is a respected swapper or Hostess? I have done 2, the first one was adequate although I will never do that TYPE of swap again( just doesn't fit in with my needs/desires) and the second I was pretty happy with what I got both time wise and quality wise.

I would like to try another swap or two at some point.. probably after the spousal unit gets back from deployment and we have reacquainted ourselves :twisted: but with this new requirement to join I am not sure I am going to make a smart choice as to which one(s) to do...
Best thing to do is browse the swaps and read posts. I've learned more about my hostesses from that than anything. There are a core group of people who do each type of swap...you'll see the same names mostly (although I wish there were more people who participate just for variety in creativity). It's kind of by trial and error too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I only got stung once..out of 50 swaps so far on SCS so that isn't too bad. I realize that manure happens and there can be extenuating circumstances for a late show but to do it continually is not fair to all concerned. I trade ATCs and have had better luck with individual exchanges rather than group ones here on SCS. Oh I still join groups from time to time but not as much as I used to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 07:11 AM   #38  
Mad Swapper

I quit swapping for a few years due to the poor quality that I was getting back. But decided to start again. I love doing swaps because I feel like I am getting things done and it helps get my mojo back on track!

But it stinks to put all of your good quality supplies and time into things and then get crap back! If I follow the rules and do what I am suppose to do, I expect the same in return. If a hostess gets something that does not follow their rules, as a courtesy to the swappers who do, those should be returned to the swapper with a note saying why they were returned.

Is there anyone interested in a "high quality, high end" swap? I would love to host one, but don't want to sound mean. I just want everyone to use their best quality paper and do their best work without sending in bad stuff! With that said, I know we won't all agree on what we like style wise, but style and matching colors have nothing to do with using quality products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

FLScrapHappy, I'm glad you're feeling better. I understand your anger. There's no excuse for dropping so many balls.

I don't swap. I tried one here at SCS last year - a fall image swap. The woman hosting it disappeared about 2/3 of the way through it. I'm a patient person; about 2-3 weeks after we were supposed to have received them, I posted on the thread as to when we might expect them. From a 3rd party, I got the ol' "life happens" crap. It was condescending; what, did she think I lived among the clouds and not here on earth with a life of my own? Courtesy is possible even when life throws us curve balls.

Eventually, the mods were involved and one or two participants filed complaints with the USPS. Come to find out, such things are considered mail fraud. Who knew?

I finally (well after fall had fallen) got my images; they were very nice. Which tells me it was just the hostess who was the bad egg; the participants were honorable.

FLScrapHappy, I'm sorry for your experience, but now that I know how much this bothers you, maybe I'll join one of your swaps, okay?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

No disrespect to anyone here, but this is why I do not do swaps...I am still a beginner and my work would not be of the "quality" of someone that has been doing it for years. I too put my best in time, effort and supplies into my work, but to be told it is not "good enough" or is "crap" would really crush any creative spirit I had (or any beginner I imagine). I recieved a card in a RAK, and to be honest, for someone that has been doing this for more than 5 years as she said, and sells them to boot, I found a couple flaws, cutting was crooked as well as the folding. A beginner has to start somewhere and I am sure you were all there once too. Is there swaps for the beginner offered? Thanks for listening
Reply With Quote Likes