Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-11-2004, 10:40 AM   #1
Gabfest Goddess

Default I've done my research!

In another thread, I was complaining about the high cost of shipping on SU! purchases. Well, my package came in about a week ago, and I called UPS to find out how much I'd have to pay to have a package of that weight and those dimensions sent to Salt Lake City. I had paid a whopping $36.38 to have my order shipped to me, and the actual shipping cost was only $21.10! I'm sure that SU! gets an even lower rate than the average consumer, because of the volume they do, so, even with a bit tacked on for the box and other shipping materials, that's still a big difference!
Will it keep me from buying from SU! in the future? No, I've already put in another order, but I do like to be an informed consumer. I may be getting ripped off, but at least now I know by how much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-11-2004, 10:43 AM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

it's not the shipping that gets you it's that - "and handling" - makes me want to say - just keep your hands to yourself!
Old 08-11-2004, 10:46 AM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

Default who then

Well then who pays to have your items hand picked????

I assume that is part of a handleing fee.

Doesn't someone have to check over your box before it's shipped!

UPS doesn't do that!!!

-Andrea
Old 08-11-2004, 10:48 AM   #4
Gabfest Goddess

That's cute, Pam! In the other thread, I mentioned a company here in NH that sells embellishments. They say they charge only for shipping, not handling, "...because 'handling' is what we do." That's so true! When you run a mail order business, that's just part of the expense of running the business.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:51 AM   #5
Stampin' Fool

When my customers question the high amount of shipping, I remind them, it's not just the shipping you are paying for - it's also the handling - someone to pull the items for your order, box it up, do the paperwork for UPS to come and pick it up. The $21.10 was only the UPS end of it - not the SU! end of it. The other $15.28 went to SU! to cover employees in that capacity. Don't know if that helps ease your pain of high S&H costs, but it helps justify it in my own mind. I know a lot of places charge a flat fee - $20 S&H for orders of $1 to $50; $25 S&H for orders of $51 to $100 etc. I sure would hate to be the person that only orders $10 worth of stuff and is stuck with a $20 S&H charge. Just my 2 cents worth. ~Pam
Old 08-11-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
Insane Embellisher

Also when you have a backorder, you don't get charged more for it. They also do not hold up the rest of your order until the other stuff comes in. One order I placed there were a couple things on backorder after the first box shipped. They sent 2 more packages because the other items came in at diff times. They had the cost to ship the first box thru UPS and then the cost to ship to 2 envelopes thru USPS. I'm sure their totals add up when you factor in everything it takes to ship something.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/tamtam79
Old 08-11-2004, 11:04 AM   #7
Gabfest Goddess

Most mail order companies have a sliding scale for shipping and handling. They start at around $4 or $5 dollars for small orders and end somewhere around $12 or $20 for orders over $150 or $200. Some companies, such as Pampered Chef, charge only a small amount for shipping, no matter how large the order is. I can't believe that all those other companies are losing money!
Tami,
Of course they don't charge more for backorders. You've already paid to have it shipped once. How could they charge you twice?
Old 08-11-2004, 11:09 AM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

I too, have always questioned shipping charges, I don't understand how it works, but I know that SU has said that every year they LOSE money on shipping.

Now, I know how organized the rest of the company is, so I can assume that they make it as cost effective as possible, so I am sure that there is a lot more to know than the little bit of information I do have.

I know that most places charge a minimum of $3-4 per order at a workshop, and SU only charges 10%, which is great if you place a little order, but not so great if you place a large order, obviously.

I would love to understand the ins and outs of shipping so I could be informed when a customer questions the shipping, because they are not as trusting as I am when I say that SU tells us they lose money every year overall when it comes to shipping costs.

This is a head scratcher for sure!

Milette
Old 08-11-2004, 11:15 AM   #9
Forum Fanatic

Something else to consider is this. If you do an exchange, they don't charge you to send you a different item. You get a direct delivery with no extra charge for shipping. I like that as I have ordered things that I didn't like and was able to return/exchange them and didn't have to pay twice for shipping.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:31 AM   #10
Hardware Hotshot

The worst case of shipping rip-off I have seen for a mail order company has to be Victoria's Secret (and it's been a LONG time since anything from THAT company has fit on my shapely bod ) They charge by the price of the item (sort of like SU), not by the weight of it, which is how they are charged by UPS. So those whispy, silky little unmentionables cost a boatload in shipping, even if VS could fit them in an envelope.

Sort of makes me appreciate my heavy wood blocks and paper coming from SU!

Julie
Old 08-11-2004, 11:33 AM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

I can guarantee that the companies who charge a nominal shipping fee, such as the above-mentioned Pampered Chef, make up the difference in the price of their products. You don't get a free ride, no matter how it's written! No one likes high handling fees, but it is the cost of doing business. If SU didn't charge handling fees to pay their warehouse staff, you can bet we would be paying lots higher prices for our purchases, and/or our demo benefits would decrease.
I agree with the people that pointed out that UPS didn't hand select our items, or carefully package them.
Bottom line, handling fees are not profit for the company, just necessary costs to keep the company in the black.
As an after-thought, I am reminded of a very good friend of mine who was a distributor for a direct sales company a few years back, and after she ordered and paid for $4000, in products, when the products didn't come in due time, she called and was informed that the company was now defunct. She was out what she paid for the products, as well as the $10,000 cash bonus she had earned for her high sales. OUCH!!
I would much rather be affiliated any day with a company that makes wise business decisions, and stays in business for the protection of each of us rather than the one which has to fold and destroy everyone's livelihood.
Okay....off my soapbox now!
Have a great day, everybody!
Alicia
Old 08-11-2004, 11:34 AM   #12
Polyshrink Goddess

You also need to remember that many times items ordered from SU arrive within 5-7 business days. I know that when I was a consultant for Pampered Chef, they did only charge a small amount for shipping, but it often took 3 weeks to get the stuff.

Jana
Old 08-11-2004, 11:46 AM   #13
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Heart
Some companies, such as Pampered Chef, charge only a small amount for shipping, no matter how large the order is. I can't believe that all those other companies are losing money!
Pampered Chef doesn't charge much for shopping because they've jacked up the prices on some of the products! Example: Food Chopper was $28.50 in 1999 (could be more now, I don't know!) I can buy the same Zyliss brand chooper online at multiple other sites for $20.95 or $21.95 with $7.95 shipping. Personally, I'd rather spend $7.95 for shipping with a total of $29.90 than "save" on shipping and pay $31.50.

Companies all cover their costs and make profits - how they spread that out is kind of irrelevant.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:47 AM   #14
Rubber Obsessor

LOL I understand that. Although my demo is so great, she will pay half of my shipping fee. I usually make at least a 150.00 order when I order though.

[email protected]
Old 08-11-2004, 11:58 AM   #15
Gabfest Goddess

Look what I've started! Isn't this fun?!
The bottom line is, be an informed consumer. Know what you're spending your money for. I don't buy anything from one source that I can get for less somewhere else, as long as the quality is the same. We all work too hard for our money to give it away. Once you know the facts, and are still willing to buy, then it's no one else's business how you spend your money.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:22 PM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Heart
Once you know the facts, and are still willing to buy, then it's no one else's business how you spend your money.
Unless, of course you're buying something that's sent via UPS and then it's taking up space that could have been used for a SU! box.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:33 PM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

PAM!! LOL, this really must stop....you keep cracking me up and my shoulder's getting tired with all this laughing!

DEFINITELY gonna have to look you up next time I'm in Bellevue...

Hugs,
Betsy
Old 08-11-2004, 05:18 PM   #18
Gabfest Goddess

Pam,
Of course I was talking about buying SU! stuff! I spend so much money with them, that I don't have any left to buy much else!
Old 08-11-2004, 06:38 PM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy Heart wrote:
Quote:

Of course I was talking about buying SU! stuff! I spend so much money with them...

Here's a thought: since we all spend sooooooo much buying SU! products, what about seeing if they will sell us shares in the company? This way, we are all buying products from ourselves!!!!
Old 08-11-2004, 06:42 PM   #20
Gabfest Goddess

Look at my post on the last page of threads under Cube Disaster for a crazy shipping story!!! You thought SU! was high!!! But the memo cubes are cheaper on this other site!
Tandra

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!