Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-23-2004, 04:14 PM   #1
Embossing Fanatic

Default ISO hints & tips for newbies to stampin'

Hi,

My name is Amy and I just discovered stamping at a home demo last Saturday. While I'm waiting for my order to come in I want to learn all I can about starting out. For example, good starter sets, ways to save money, newbie techniques, cleaning stamps, are stains something to be worried about, etc.

I have been a scrapbooker for 3+ years and enjoy that tremendously. I have been pondering the world of stamps for cards, gift bags/tages and crafts with my 6 yo DD. From my scrapbooking experience I knew enough that I wanted to go to the top of the market and I heard Stampin' Up was it.

Thanks in advance!
~Amy (in FL)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-23-2004, 04:19 PM   #2
Gabfest Goddess

Default Re: ISO hints & tips for newbies to stampin'

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyLee
Hi,

My name is Amy and I just discovered stamping at a home demo last Saturday. While I'm waiting for my order to come in I want to learn all I can about starting out. For example, good starter sets, ways to save money, newbie techniques, cleaning stamps, are stains something to be worried about, etc.

I have been a scrapbooker for 3+ years and enjoy that tremendously. I have been pondering the world of stamps for cards, gift bags/tages and crafts with my 6 yo DD. From my scrapbooking experience I knew enough that I wanted to go to the top of the market and I heard Stampin' Up was it.

Thanks in advance!
~Amy (in FL)
Hi Amy..........you're in the right place! Search the forums. Don't be overwhelmed! There is a ton of info there. Just keep checking it out and you will be overjoyed at what is there. As well, most cards when posted to the gallery have the "recipe" and you (at least I have) learn a lot there. The resource area has tutorials you will die for......

Enjoy yourself.....and welcome!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Old 08-23-2004, 04:29 PM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm new here too (about two weeks) and can't believe all of the stuff I've learned already. What a great place! I love love love the galleries.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:39 PM   #4
SCS Moderator

Hi Amy and welcome!

Hmmm-hints or tips??? Well, I think there i a ton here to look at, but by far teh biggest "tip" to remember is to ask!!!! This group is soooo helpful, I rarely see posts of questions go by unanswered.

If you are looking to start your collection and not get tooooo overwhelmed, I would suggest looking at the catalog "kits" that SU offered this year-even if you change the sets, it is a great way to figure out what basicis you "need"

Some good starter ideas are:
Versamark and Pastels (both are very verstaile)
a few colors from one color family, matching paper, and stamp sets

Keep looking through here and see what types of cards you are most drawn to, and see if there are correlations between them (like do you like images solidly stamped, or colored in, florals, etc.) That may help narrow things down for you since you are starting out. Good luck with that, though! goodenss knows that's not as organized as I started out!

Hope that helps!!

Old 08-23-2004, 04:46 PM   #5
Die Cut Diva

Amy
Welcome to the wonderful world of stamping and of splitcoast--you'll love both--I promise!! I thought I would put my two cents in on some of the things you asked about.

I recommend the stampin' scrub and cleaner (although some people on this site have said that there is a new formula to the stampin mist that isn't as good as it used to be--that's why this site is so great, lots of feedback and good info! There are lots of possibilities for cleaners--one being baby wipes.) Yes, sometimes your stamps and wood block will get stained. It is only a sign of love and (usually) won't affect your stamping as long as you clean your stamps well.

TONS of techniques are available on this site. I spend tons of time in the gallery looking for ideas I can use (and WOW do I get a lot!)

Some money saving tips are to invest in the stampin spots (smaller versions of the stamp pad--you can get them in the entire color family) It's a great way to get more colors for less money. I also would recommend getting the coordinating paper for that color family (you can get packs of 3 sheets of each of the 12 colors for like $8. It is such a good investment!!! I can't say enough about the cardstock--it is worth every penny.

There are also lots of great versatile sets that a great to start with that will give you something for every occassion. good luck and share your creations with us!!!! And like camsmom said, don't be afraid to ask. I did a poll a few weeks ago to help me decide which background stamp to get and I got some really great feedback from ladies who had the ones I was considering. This is a great group of women!
Old 08-23-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
Die Cut Diva

Hi Amy,

My advice is have fun with stamping. I see people stressed about it and trying to be perfect. Why bother? We are our own worst critic )spelled wrong )
I too would recomend the chalks, the versamark pad and mulit color packs of paper. I'd pick one stamp set I really like and go from there.

You may have some friends in your town you can stamp with. (Maybe they'd loan you a some stamps and tools)

Keep checking this site, it is by far the best!

Happy stamping!
Old 08-23-2004, 04:58 PM   #7
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Welcome and all I can say is HAVE FUN!!! This place is awesome, I have been here for over a year now and have learned so much. If you have questions all you have to do is ask and they will answer you that day!! Just sit back have fun and enjoy yourself!!
SCS member #735