Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in info on becoming a Stampin Up demonstrator

I am interested in info on becoming a Stampin Up demonstator. How does it work, what are the perks. How much do you need to sell, etc.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #2  
Glitter Queen

Default SU

I pm'd you!
Rebecca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 05:43 PM   #3  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First you should contact your local Stampin Up demo that you usually have-if you do not have one, then go to www.stampinup.com and you can locate some in your area. You can contact them and see if any seem to be a good fit for you and your needs.

I am sure you will get a lot of people PMing you from the board, but you do need to be able to get a feel for who will support you and really personality wise is a good match for you, which is why I suggest contacting people in your area and finding out about who has meetings, what support they will give, their own upline experiences, etc.

There have abeen a few threads on here in the past couple of days that give lots of information. Do a search and see what you can come up with, and the ask any new questions you might have.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 05:48 PM   #4  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Threads that might help:

Making Quotas

Thinking of becoming a demo

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 05:50 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Do it!!!! I just signed up this weekend! I can't wait to get my kit! You get to pick your own stamps and stamp pads. If youlove stampin do it for the discount!

There have been a lot of talks about this you shoul dbe able tro find all the info you need on other dicussions. That is what I did. Plus everyone was very helpful! and so was my SU demo.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2005, 06:05 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Do you have a demonstrator? If not, you can find one near you by going to the SU website. But don't feel obligated to sign up under the first person you talk to. Think of it as a job interview. Talk to people until you find someone who clicks with you and you think you can have a good relationship with. There's nothing worse than having a bad upline.

Basic info:
1. Starter Kit is $199, Stampin Memories add-on is $50 more. The kit is awesome and you can change some of the products in it. Here's a list of what comes in it. http://www.stampinup.com/web2001/Sta...tType=Standard

2. Quotasyou need to sell $300 retail per quarter (only $240 after your discount). But you don't have to meet any minumums during your first quarter. If you signed on now, your first deadline wouldn't be until September! And there's no obligation, if you decide you don't want to demo, you just deactivate.

3. You receive 20% instant income on everything you sell - no waiting for a check to arrive and at the end of each month, SU will give you an additional percentage, based on your sales. And you get 30% instant income on your first order so you can add on to your starter kit easily.

4. It's easy to start a Stamp Addicts' Club with 5 or 6 people who will agree to spend $25 or $30 a month for 6 months - this will guarantee you will make your minimums

5. If you get a few orders from customers not at a show, submit it as your show, and you can get hostess benefits like free products and hostess sets.

6. You will receive Stampin' Success magazine and will have support on the SU website.

7. You will receive notifications of promotions and can order stamp sets before anyone else can.

8. My biggest reason was the 20% off. I liked my demonstrator, but I'd rather keep that money than give it to her. Not signing up was like throwing money away! How many people go to Michael's with their 40% off coupon in hand and decide not to use it because it's a hassle - I bet you won't find a single one. So what's stopping you with this easy to get 20% discount?

Whatever you decide, I hope it works for you.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile Thanks!!!

That was a GREAT description. I have been on the fence for a while about becomming a demonstrator. I love to stamp and to have support is great!

Go ahead and add me to your buddy list..I dare you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I've been thinking about it as well but my question is, why do we need to contact our demonstrator or find a local near us, can't we join without them? or do they reap some benefits as well and if so, do you mind sharing what they are?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 05:10 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by danamy
I've been thinking about it as well but my question is, why do we need to contact our demonstrator or find a local near us, can't we join without them? or do they reap some benefits as well and if so, do you mind sharing what they are?
Hi,

The reason everyone suggests calling someone near you is because then you will (ideally) have someone to "show you the ropes" and be a great stamping friend to you. Like Britta said, it is just better 99% of the time to find someone local who can give you hands on training for the long term and not just a flash in the pan incentive to sign. Stampin Up does not allow you join direct to the company, you are required to sign through someone else. They will be compensated by the company based upon their personal performance and your performance, which they will have a vested interest in.

There are different levels of compensation from the company, usually SU pays around 2%-5% commission on their downline's sales.

I have attached a little FAQ I drew up about some of the benefits of recruiting, hope it is helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Opportunity email.doc (30.0 KB, 137 views)

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 05:10 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

You can't join Stampin' Up! (as an independent demo) without signing up *under* another demonstrator.

The demo you sign up under can provide you w/ training and advice, and can be very valuable to making a go of this. They *can* earn $$ based on your sales - but their own sales have to be at a certain level - they can't just sit back and earn $$ off of you. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

ok I have a few questions can I pm one of you? I would feel so much better chatting one on one and I promise not to get into too much detail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I sent you a private message and would be happy to answer your questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Being a junkie at SCS gives many of us great information and fast but if there is times that you need someone local to give opinions help encourage borrow stuff etc. If your upline is good and helpful (which they all should be) she will be as supportive of you and your business. Even if that business is mostly yourself buying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 07:46 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I also am looking at becoming a Demo, But my question is this . . . My sister in Law would be my upline, but the family id well known for fighting all the time would you suggest finding someone else or sign up under her?

There is always something better, wish it wouuld hurry up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 07:58 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by musik1_99
I also am looking at becoming a Demo, But my question is this . . . My sister in Law would be my upline, but the family id well known for fighting all the time would you suggest finding someone else or sign up under her?
That's a tough call. But would not signing under her cause more tension?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 08:58 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Upline

Check out the demos in your area and see if their is one you feel will help you in your business the most or fits your style. Some uplines hold monthly meetings and help their downlines a lot. Having a demo upline for support can be a helpful person to bounce ideas off, etc. They want their downlines to do well as a general rule because it helps them in their business. See if they have a good track record and have been succesful with their business for a few years etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 09:47 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Smile

y'all have almost convinced me to get back into it! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 10:34 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

I've thought about resigning up also. Not because of the discount or because of my demo. Mainly because I have several gals that keep bugging me to teach them to stamp. Only problem is that I use SU! stuff so I know they will want to know where to get things. I have a wonderful demo/good friend. Really good friend that I love dearly. I asked her if I could sign up under her and she said, "No!" I was shocked. Her reasoning is that we have mutual friends. Which I'm not that type of person to 'steal' customers. I have to admit, I was really hurt by her answer. So, now I sit here begging my aunt or sister to sign up. They live far away, but close to the gals that want me to teach them to stamp.

So, for those of you signing up, good luck to you. My demo does very well with her stamp clubs. She hardly ever does a workshop, maybe twice a year. She is a go getter when it comes to her SU! business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 12:43 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightscrapper
I have a wonderful demo/good friend. Really good friend that I love dearly. I asked her if I could sign up under her and she said, "No!" I was shocked. Her reasoning is that we have mutual friends. Which I'm not that type of person to 'steal' customers. I have to admit, I was really hurt by her answer. So, now I sit here begging my aunt or sister to sign up. They live far away, but close to the gals that want me to teach them to stamp.

Oh, dear. I obviously don't know all the details here and don't want to pre-judge, but that is something I just never advocate. Refusing to sign someone up is just a recipe for disaster.

I am so glad to hear that you aren't a "customer stealer", but frankly, we don't own our customers. They will (and should be freely allowed to) go wherever they feel the most comfortable going. And trust me, they will. When you sign up a new demonstrator, it isn't anyone's choice but the customer regarding who they will go to. I always explain to my new demonstrators that they don't have the right to put expectations on their friends. 99% of the time, yes, they will support the new demo, but sometimes they do not and neither of us have the right to get angry or upset about that.

If her only reason for not signing you up and helping you get started is that she is worried that some of your mutual friends will decide to purchase from you, then honestly, that is truly a mistake. There are many demonstrators who were discouraged from signing up by their demonstrators because of this same reasoning. Well, guess what? The desire to become a demonstrator didn't go away, they just found someone else to sign up under. And guess what again. Their friends chose to support this new demonstrator (without her pressuring them in any way) and the old demo lost out double. No customers, and no downline commission from her old customer's sales.

I am so sorry you were hurt by your friend. I am sure that she didn't mean to hurt your feelings, obviously you know how I feel about her response.

If you truly want to become a demonstrator, find someone who is grade A! Even if you think you won't need all of the things they offer, you just never know if it might take off for you and you need that info and their support.

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I have a wonderful demo/good friend. Really good friend that I love dearly. I asked her if I could sign up under her and she said, "No!" I was shocked. Her reasoning is that we have mutual friends. Which I'm not that type of person to 'steal' customers. I have to admit, I was really hurt by her answer. So, now I sit here begging my aunt or sister to sign up. They live far away, but close to the gals that want me to teach them to stamp.
She may have said no because she values the friendship.... I know that's one reason why I'm not signing up under my demo - she's a friend and friends and business don't mix well...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 10:15 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

I could understand her not wanting me under her, but she doesn't want me to sign up at all. Crazy, I know!! I keep trying to find answers but can't. And honestly, she is a great friend. She is someone I can talk to without feeling ashamed or condemned. I thought about signing with another friend, more of an acquaintance, but then I feel bad. Ohhhh, maybe I'll just find another company to sign with and not cause problems. LOL But I'm such a SU! junkie. I've been one for 14 years now. Back when SU! carried stamps from different companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 01:11 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Good Morning, This is my 2nd time with Stampin Up, the 1st time I was under a gal in Ohio that I saw once a year when she was visiting her folks that live in my area, I didn't receive much support because of the distance, this time I have a wonderful upline who's always a phone call or short drive away, we have quarterly meetings/swaps and share lots of techniques and information...much better and so much more fun. Take the plunge and like the other Ladies suggest do find someone in your area you'll appreciate having someone closer to you. Good luck, you'll love the discount.
Taylor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 01:33 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

I am a demo who was recently relocated to Germany with my military husband and have had more trouble than anyone I have heard trying to get my military acknowledgement form signed. I am so frustrated and sad at the same time!

SU said I only have until the end of this month to get the form signed or they are dropping me and making me purchase another starter kit (would still have to get that form signed though).

I don't get my bad luck. First 6 sets are stolen from the USPS paxckage I mailed myself that I have to replace, now this trouble with the form.

We arrived in July and I pleaded with SU for more time so they were kind enough to give me another month. Then my husband's boss wouldn't sign the form, sent it to JAG, they sat on it for WEEKS, sent it to someone else who said it wasn't their problem, now it is in another office waiting to hear back from someone else. I can't believe this!

My hubby is getting annoyed that i am bothering imortant military personnel with my "piddly little SU business" (I am mostly a hobbyist) - I am beginning to agree with him. On one hand, these people ARe fighting a war in the middle East & Afghanistan, and there are other concerns popping up all the time - London, Lebanon, etc. However, I would think a bas this big would have SOMEONE in place who is the designated person to handle this, wouldn't you?

I asked my upline for advice as she is military herself and encouraged me to sign up because it was "so easy to get this form signed" - she basically told me to drop it since I am mostly a hobbyist anyway and "aren't responsible enough to run my own business". THAT made me feel great (NOT!) I wish I could switch uplines.... Definnitely go with someone you have a good rapport with ladies!

I envy you Demo's who don't move every two years and don't have these upline issues....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 01:38 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Quote:

I could understand her not wanting me under her, but she doesn't want me to sign up at all. Crazy, I know!! I keep trying to find answers but can't. And honestly, she is a great friend. She is someone I can talk to without feeling ashamed or condemned. I thought about signing with another friend, more of an acquaintance, but then I feel bad. Ohhhh, maybe I'll just find another company to sign with and not cause problems. LOL But I'm such a SU! junkie. I've been one for 14 years now. Back when SU! carried stamps from different companies.
I, too, encourage you to sign up! But definitely do it with someone who will provide the suppport that YOU need. My demo is very talented but as an upline had little time for the my many questions as a new demo because she works full time (me, too) and has a very successful SU! business. I truly thought the hardest part of getting going was finding and understandling all the info. I am very fortunate, however, that she has quarterly meetings and I have the BEST sidelines, many of whom have become close friends in the two years that I've been a demo.

I have yet to have my first recruit, but there is no way I will stand in anyone's way. And, I will try to be the upline I wished I had.

(Good to see that everyone's advice stays consistent from year-to-year here on SCS...check date of OP.)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 01:41 AM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Hmmm, a tricky situation.

It isn't fair for her to not want you to sign up at all, imposing her will on you like that. If she is your friend she should want you to be happy right?

Two thoughts -
1) she could let you buy merchandise from her at the demo discount rate - that way she wouldn't have to worry about losing any of her mutual friend customers to you (although they will likely want similar treatment, so that might get sticky)

2) the other option is a "stampers six" where she signs you up (and still profits from your purchases as an upline) and has 4 others join you and you all take turns acting as hostesses so everyone qualifies for a hostess set cyclically. My upcline suggested this, but I never found enough people for a six, and a lot of us are teachers on limited budgets unable to spend to our heart's content.

Just some thoughts. I know business & friendship doesn't alwaysmix, but a friend shouldn't keep you from doing something you enjoy so much.

Just my opinion - good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 01:43 AM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

Whoa - check out all my typo's! I better start using spellcheck again....LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Crafy math,

The discount is not the problem really, because I buy way more than I should each month and sometimes twice a month. I'm also in her stamp club which I told her I would continue until the end. That's one thing I do, when I give my word, I keep it. Anyways, like you said it's a tricky situation. I guess I have to figure out what's more important here, her friendship or me signing up. I wouldn't do it as a supplemental income, it would really be for the fun of doing workshop.

Thanks ladies for all your input. At least now I feel comfortable knowing I was just hurt for no apparent reason.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 06:20 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Are you allowed to switch *uplines* if you find that the person you signed under wasn't what you wanted out of a demonstrator? I know your probably thinking then why bother signing under her right? I have several to choose from in my area and I don't know that I will have the time to interview people, or maybe I might not ask the right questions, or what interests me today, may not be the same 6 months from now, or what if we just don't get along since I really wont know this person? My hubby works 12-14 hr days and I stay home with my children so by the time he gets home from work, I don't have that much time to run around and plus I would like to sign up for this before the promotion is over.

Have any of you ever switched uplines or had some one under you switch?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2006, 06:33 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Are you allowed to switch *uplines* if you find that the person you signed under wasn't what you wanted out of a demonstrator? I know your probably thinking then why bother signing under her right? I have several to choose from in my area and I don't know that I will have the time to interview people, or maybe I might not ask the right questions, or what interests me today, may not be the same 6 months from now, or what if we just don't get along since I really wont know this person? My hubby works 12-14 hr days and I stay home with my children so by the time he gets home from work, I don't have that much time to run around and plus I would like to sign up for this before the promotion is over.

Have any of you ever switched uplines or had some one under you switch?
My understanding is that in order to change uplines, you have to be inactive for six months then you can sign up again BUT you would have to buy a new starter kit....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 12:17 AM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
First you should contact your local Stampin Up demo that you usually have-if you do not have one, then go to www.stampinup.com and you can locate some in your area. You can contact them and see if any seem to be a good fit for you and your needs.

I am sure you will get a lot of people PMing you from the board, but you do need to be able to get a feel for who will support you and really personality wise is a good match for you, which is why I suggest contacting people in your area and finding out about who has meetings, what support they will give, their own upline experiences, etc.

There have abeen a few threads on here in the past couple of days that give lots of information. Do a search and see what you can come up with, and the ask any new questions you might have.
Britta's so smart! I agree with her advice here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2006, 12:19 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Whoops, didn't even realize I stumbled onto an old thread! :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes