Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
Matboard Maniac

Default Ink gets all over the place when I use my Misti

I wanted a Misti for over two years and was over the moon when I actually won one in a giveaway. I wasn't quite sure how to use it so it sat on my craft desk for the longest time but now I'm hooked. However, most of my stamp pads are either Stampin' Up pads in the regular size, or other large sized dye pads. I get ink EVERYWHERE when I ink up stamps on the Misti and don't want to have to buy every ink color in mini-cubes, but I'm going nuts here. What does everyone else do to prevent ink from smearing all over the Misti acrylic platform? Or do you just deal with and clean up each time? Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-14-2018, 01:41 AM   #2
Die Cut Diva

I'm not an SU user, so I have to ask the question- are the pads foam or fabric type? If foam, the secret is to tap onto your stamp very, very lightly. I've often had the same problem with pigment pads, which are generally foam. The foam squishes down onto the stamp a lot more than a fabric style pad if you use the same pressure for both.Hth.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:17 AM   #3
Gabfest Goddess

I just use my damp stamp shammy to wipe away the ink before I stamp. You could lay a piece of paper down on the MISTI cover before you ink the stamp if that would be easier to do.
pepperann and abbysmom2198 like this post.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #4
Die Cut Diva

Ink gently. When I use my SU pads and my misti, I touch the ink pad to the stamp, when I feel I have made contact, I give it a tiny twist instead of a CPR type push. this keeps the ink on the pad and the stamp and off my mist most times. good luck.
pepperann, kazeka and abbysmom2198 like this post.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:17 AM   #5
Kookie Creator

I don't like the mess either and it seemed that no matter how careful I was I got ink on the lid. For the colors I use the most I have reinkers so I invested in some small uninked cubes.......inked them up and have very little, if any, ink on the lids of my Misti or TH platform when I use them.
fl_beachbum likes this post.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #6
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by madameplushbottom View Post
Ink gently. When I use my SU pads and my misti, I touch the ink pad to the stamp, when I feel I have made contact, I give it a tiny twist instead of a CPR type push. this keeps the ink on the pad and the stamp and off my mist most times. good luck.
Thanks. I've tried tapping gently, but the ink pads are so large that it seems they always touch the Misti anyway. It's easy enough to wipe the extra ink off my Misti but I just wondered if others have the same problem. I'll keep trying to perfect my technique, haha!
madameplushbottom likes this post.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockybeta View Post
I don't like the mess either and it seemed that no matter how careful I was I got ink on the lid. For the colors I use the most I have reinkers so I invested in some small uninked cubes.......inked them up and have very little, if any, ink on the lids of my Misti or TH platform when I use them.
Wow, where do you buy uninked cubes? I've seen the larger uninked pads but never small ones. I also have a lot of re-inkers so this would be an idea. Of course, the uninked cubes are probably the same cost as inked one though.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, will try that little tiny twist. I've been experimenting with my inking technique and looks like I'll have to be more gentle. I don't mind a little ink on the Misti cover but sometimes it's just everywhere. Fortunately, the Misti is designed so well that none of that ink on the lid gets on my project, but it gets on my hands and then sometimes onto my card.
madameplushbottom likes this post.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazeka View Post
Wow, where do you buy uninked cubes? I've seen the larger uninked pads but never small ones. I also have a lot of re-inkers so this would be an idea. Of course, the uninked cubes are probably the same cost as inked one though.

Stampin' Up sells the uninked cubes. You can get a pack of 5 for $9. Uninked Stampin' Spots by Stampin' Up!
Old 04-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
Proud Fan Club Member

Maybe thinking about it this way will help...

Clear stamps on the misti door is the same as clear on an acrylic block. They dont have a lot of "clearance" between stamp surface and plastic. The same way we have to be super gentle patting (or twisting) on the pad with a block, it is the reverse on the misti.

Maybe using a post it note or two will help you till you get the hang of it.

Another choice-use a dauber to transfer the ink from pad to the stamp. Cheaper than mini pads. With a misti you can repeat stamp so no worries if you miss a spot.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #11
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
I'm not an SU user, so I have to ask the question- are the pads foam or fabric type? If foam, the secret is to tap onto your stamp very, very lightly. I've often had the same problem with pigment pads, which are generally foam. The foam squishes down onto the stamp a lot more than a fabric style pad if you use the same pressure for both.Hth.
Thanks for your reply. I use the fabric type dye pads. I only have two of the foam pads for Stampin' Up and find that those make an even bigger mess!
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #12
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavejumper View Post
Maybe thinking about it this way will help...

Clear stamps on the misti door is the same as clear on an acrylic block. They dont have a lot of "clearance" between stamp surface and plastic. The same way we have to be super gentle patting (or twisting) on the pad with a block, it is the reverse on the misti.

Maybe using a post it note or two will help you till you get the hang of it.

Another choice-use a dauber to transfer the ink from pad to the stamp. Cheaper than mini pads. With a misti you can repeat stamp so no worries if you miss a spot.
I don't seem to have a problem with clear stamps on acrylic blocks when I use my ink pads, but it may be because the difference in angle. I think I need to keep practicing
Old 04-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #13
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Stampin' Up sells the uninked cubes. You can get a pack of 5 for $9. Uninked Stampin' Spots by Stampin' Up!
Thanks! I don't know why I never saw those.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #14
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I tend to have my hand under the side where the stamp is stuck ( so its up in the air) and my other hand tapping the corner of a big pad onto the stamp. I also tend to move the thing I want to stamp more to the middle rather than right up in the corner tight.
I don't know if that would help you or not but, that is what I do.
lazylizard likes this post.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:29 AM   #15
Insane Embellisher

I recently boxed up all my large SU pads and they are now in the closet in my craft room. If I don't miss them for 6 months, I will donate them. I have pretty much given up on using full size pads on my Misti because of the "overage" when inking. I started buying colors I liked in the spots from various companies that I wanted to try out to see if I liked their inks. I can't believe how much a difference it makes to use the spots - so much easier to ink up and get even coverage - especially on solid image stamps. Since you can buy 2 or sometimes 3 of the spots for the cost of a full size pad, it should not take terribly long to get the small collection of colors I want. I can't imagine buying the large size pads again except for maybe black, grey, a metallic gold like Delicata and a Versamark pad. I find the spots work great for the rest of my needs. I have never warmed up to the SU foam pads as they are often so juicy and bubbly, they ink up my stamps unevenly. I would not mind trying their new anti-foaming ink if they made them in spots.
madameplushbottom and DianeinSparks like this post.