Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2008, 05:23 AM   #41
Kookie Creator

So Tami, I can TOTALLY relate to this as I have four young children that rough house all the time and have ruined plenty of my precious stamping products. And as a SAHM, I don't have much money to replace items or buy new when they come out (I too am dying to order from the new catty still)

Exactly what colors were ruined? I have some Cool Caribbean paper from last year and I have Soft Sky, Blue Bayou, and Wild Wasabi from this year that I would be happy to send you some of.

**SCS GALS** If quite a few of us here - the SCS family - donated some of their stash to Tami as a RAK, if may help her recoup some of it.

Tami, PM me your address and I'll send what I can.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:42 AM   #42
Stampin' Fool

Wow, I would have probably yelled, then cried. I know to most people, it's "only paper", but its the base of our hobby and creations. It's so important to all of us. I am imagining a collective gasp from every reader about how they would feel if an accident happened to ruin our stamping stuff.

It was very sweet of your daughter to apologize. Eileen
Old 01-18-2008, 06:00 AM   #43
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebasicscrapperView Post
So Tami, I can TOTALLY relate to this as I have four young children that rough house all the time and have ruined plenty of my precious stamping products. And as a SAHM, I don't have much money to replace items or buy new when they come out (I too am dying to order from the new catty still)

Exactly what colors were ruined? I have some Cool Caribbean paper from last year and I have Soft Sky, Blue Bayou, and Wild Wasabi from this year that I would be happy to send you some of.

**SCS GALS** If quite a few of us here - the SCS family - donated some of their stash to Tami as a RAK, if may help her recoup some of it.

Tami, PM me your address and I'll send what I can.
I'm in for this, please let us know what was lost. I have all the InColors from last year and this year. I am willing to send some!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:15 AM   #44
Kookie Creator

Thanks for volunteering Tricia! And BTW, your bunny is SO cute! We have a solid black lop earred bunny that we just adore.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:56 AM   #45
Crimping Master

Oh yea.......I can help out as well......

let me know and I'll get some in the mail..........

Lori
Old 01-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #46
Crimping Master

Oh my! Now I am going to cry for an entirely different reason! I can't believe the generosity of the ladies on this site! I appreciate the offer but I am sure there are stampers who have it far worse than I do. My wonderful husband has offered to pay for the $130 in paper I lost. Which is funny since I have all the checkbooks and he has no idea (and doesn't care) how much we have in the bank, but it was very, very sweet. He knows I never take money out of our account to pay for stamping items so he felt really bad because he knows how hard I have to work to earn that much. I spent last night drying and checking for any salvageable material and I *think* (fingers crossed) that on some of the lower racks I can cut the paper in half and still use one side, which is a bonus. What isn't a bonus...the smell! Ugh how do you get rid of the milk smell? It is definitely not conducive to happy stamping!

Cuteness prevailed; all is right with the world! (except for the smell)
Old 01-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #47
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Wonderful to hear that your hubby said to replace the paper. Looks like he knows how important stamping is to you. Have fun shopping for new cardstock. It will be like Christmas again when you get it all.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Old 01-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #48
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow..I feel your pain sistah!! My DH spilled- a cup of hot tea (last year) all over my SU real red paper I was using for A swap.. my LAST 12 sheets of Real red mind you and I could've cried!!!

HUGS~
Old 01-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #49
Die Cut Diva

Oh man! Stinky cards! That is funny but not really I think I would have gone flipping mad!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:52 AM   #50
Rubber Obsessor

You could use this to the benefit of your children and make some cool paper in the process. You tear up your paper and add it to a blender with some white craft glue and water and then process. Spread it over a clean old window screen and use paper towels to sop up some of the water and let the rest drain and dry. With the amount of paper you are talking about you would be able to make quite a bit and it always turns out cool, each one is usually different. We did this when I was in school and I have done this with my daughter when she was younger. Your daughters could help out with this and maybe learn something in the process. Looks like they are pretty young so the chemistry lesson would be lost on them though.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #51
Matboard Maniac

After hearing your story, I must admit, I can calm down about one of my kids stealing my Real Red marker. It could have been so much worse for me!
It's hard when no one at home thinks of your things as highly as you do!
Call your demo and make her happy by ordering more, and take it out of their piggy banks! ha ha
Old 01-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #52
Stazon Splitcoast

Please let me know what your favorite colors are and If I have some spare cardstock I will put together a package for you. I have had small kids too. They can do so much damage and still melt your heart. Hugs for you. Oh..send the message via PM because I might not get it on the open forum. Blessings.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #53
Stampin' Fool

To get rid of the smell from your vent and your paper area, see if you can find a product called XO. I bought mine from QVC, but it takes care of any odors in no time. It is an excellent product.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #54
Insane Embellisher

my craft studio is also in the basement...we have a drop ceiling, and the kitchen is directly overhead of my paper storage....

last year some kiddo sneeking ice cream (then 9, 6 or 4yrs) left our freezer door ajar. not enough open for anyboy to notice, but certainly not properly sealed...the auto ice maker continued to make 'ice' all night (read, the liquid form of ice)

we had quite a flood! the hardwood in the kitchen is still warped around the fridge, but thankfuly i really didnt have a lot of damage (i have fellows paper racks which are hard on the top and sides, so the water ran pretty well off of them- did have a few cardboard SU! boxes with orders- the boxes soaked up water, but nothing in them was damaged. Lost a few ceiling tiles, and the rugs were sopping...

nobody ever confessed...... and sometimes i still worry, i almost always hipcheck the door on my way by to be certain its sealed! sorry for what you lost, just a few more dollar and youll get hostess bennies- treat youself to something nice from the new catty!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #55
Pearl-ExPert

pm "uscats" for paper making ideas, she does it alot. Also, isn't there some thread about a sweetened condensed milk technique - perhaps you can adapt that for stinky milk technique. I too have cats who hairball things - usually the floor and I step in it in the dark in bare feet...anyway, thorry that happened to your paper, but at least your daughter apologized and your hubby didn't "poo poo" the importance of the paper to you - YOU ARE RICH in family, Tami. Good luck with the clean up and the replacing - let the SCS ladies help you with last years In Colors - they are a generous group.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #56
Rubber Obsessor

Oh no! I am in the basement also and it is one of my biggest worries. I am under all the pipes and vents also. I am so sorry for you, it really hurts.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #57
Pearl-ExPert

OMG!! I would have cried. My kiddos are older now and know to stay away or else. It is my 3 cats that drive me nuts and lay on my layouts and things if I leave them on the table! There are some really good suggestions on how to salvage the paper. Hope something works!

Missy
Old 01-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #58
Matboard Maniac

So Sorry!!! But, since it's already compromised, I would spray it with Febreeze and get out a towel and the iron. Can't hurt to try. I love Febreeze for everything.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:36 AM   #59
Polyshrink Goddess

I haven't read all the replies, so, if this has already been mentioned, I apologize<G> For you girls that store you paper in the basement with pipes/vents overhead, how about putting a garbage bag over the top of your paper? If you have a vertical rack, will one slide down over it from the top to protect the papers? If not, lay one or two bags over the top. Anything to protect those top sheets should something start dripping.

Suz
http://www.suzastampin.com
Old 01-19-2008, 03:52 AM   #60
Pearl-ExPert

So sorry to hear this! Just a thought to save you from potential heartache later. Maybe, you could lay a plastic shower curtain over your paper rack in case it happens again? Since once is forgivable, but twice I'd totally lose it! ;0)

Also a project that might salvage some of it since it requires wetting or washing the paper anyhow:

http://melstampz.blogspot.com/2007/1...-tutorial.html

You could do a variation of that which would be easier and give you more flexible use. Wash the paper (with a little soap) rinse & lay flat to dry. It should get the smell out & you'll have the neatest textured paper that you could use for backgrounds. Punched shapes look really neat out of it too!

Best of luck,
Mel
Old 01-19-2008, 05:44 AM   #61
Compulsive Stamper

Soooo...Sooorrryy!!! I don't have kids,but I understand your loss...Paper is replaceable...Do you want some of mine??? I have a lil extra ... even though I've graduated from cardstock collector. If we all sent you a few sheets...whoa...you'd be the paper princess..Post your address ...I have some of last years incolor i can spare.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #62
Gallery Gazer

When my husband was watching my son one Saturday morning (my son was 5 years old,) he gave him a piece of sand paper (and NO instructions!) When I came home a few hours later, my son had sanded some substantial amount of EVERY SINGLE panel of our olderToyota 4-Runner! My husband hadn't even noticed! We had to get it completely repainted, at a cost of $450! (I am a SAHM and that is a lot of money to me!) And I didn't get any free stamps with that order!

I hope this is the worst thing that your kids ever do! You will laugh about it in a few years. I still remember the owner of the auto body shop bringing out all of his employees to show them what a good job my son had done on the sanding job!