Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default If you Own a Scan N Cut, do you use the Wireless card?

I was fortunate to get a free scan n cut 2 and I love it! I've only just had it up and running since this morning, but it didn't come with the wireless card. I don't know how much of the Canvas I would use, but I'd like to try it. My computer is downstairs, my machine is in my upstairs craftroom and I do have a wireless router. Is it worth getting the card or shall I just use Canvas and save it to a stick, then load it up on my machine? Anyone have any opinions? I want to finally try and use a machine to its fullest capability, instead of getting frustrated with it. Any advice would be helpful and most appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help you answer that because I have the very same question. However, I haven't unpacked mine yet!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2017, 02:55 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the original SnC. I do not use it wireless at all. I don't use canvas either. I design all my .svg in either Make the Cut, Serif CraftArtist, or Sure Cuts Alot. SCAL can export as .fcm. I use the usb stick method to move my files to the machine and this works fine for me as all is located in 1 room. I do wish I could connect directly to my PC just for the screen size alone. (older eyes) I use my SnC all the time but I have other cutters as well so I like using .svg files. I think whichever way you choose to go you will enjoy using this cutter. It is not my best machine but it is very quick and easy to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2017, 04:21 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Rorysnonna,

Thanks so much for the response! I went into Amazon and read the reviews of the "wireless card" and people basically agreed it was not worth buying when you can get into Canvas, put it on the USB and take it to your machine. I don't want to spend $41 if I don't have to -- I can get more mats, pens, etc. I'll have to investigate those you mentioned but I think I had better learn to maximize my results with the SnC first. I'm loving it so far! Thanks again for your insight!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by RorysnonnaView Post
I have the original SnC. I do not use it wireless at all. I don't use canvas either. I design all my .svg in either Make the Cut, Serif CraftArtist, or Sure Cuts Alot. SCAL can export as .fcm. I use the usb stick method to move my files to the machine and this works fine for me as all is located in 1 room. I do wish I could connect directly to my PC just for the screen size alone. (older eyes) I use my SnC all the time but I have other cutters as well so I like using .svg files. I think whichever way you choose to go you will enjoy using this cutter. It is not my best machine but it is very quick and easy to use.
You said it's not your best machine. What machine do you like best and why? I'm looking for a new machine since my gypsy died.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2017, 12:18 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Finding the right machine for your needs

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelglassView Post
You said it's not your best machine. What machine do you like best and why? I'm looking for a new machine since my gypsy died.
Hi angelglass, I have been using cutting plotters since 2006 and have what I call a true addiction! I have 11 machines and use them all believe it or not.
The SnC is not my personal best because it lacks a direct computer connection. It can e difficult to get things lined up perfectly. I have older eyes and really need a big screen. If I could only have one machine it would be my KNK Zing. I am a favor maker so I cut mostly simple boxes. I do a lot of print and cut work. The Zing is a work horse. It's all metal and can handle small business needs. I did just buy a Cricut Explore Air2 and it is simple to use and reliable. The best way to determine what machine is best for you is to know what you will be doing with it. The questions to ask yourself should be along the lines of these.
What will I be making?
What material will I be cutting?
How often will I be using the machine?
Is ease of use important to me?
Can I deal with a learning curve?
Will my files be complicated and large?
Will I be using the machine for print and cuts?
Will the machine work with my current computers operating system?
Would a stand alone machine be better for me as I want to move it from room to room?
How much do I want to invest in a machine?
What file types will the machine cut? (.svg or their own proprietary formats)
The answers to questions like these will help you decide on a machine.
I have to say that I crafted my daughters wedding, she married in Nov. 2016. I used the ScanNCut for a lot of the items simply for its ease of use. The scanner is a great addition to the cutter and I was pretty much based on my dinning room table as we both were working on wedding projects together and it was a better work space than my craft room. The SnC is easy to use and move around. It will cut .svg files and keep in mind if you like to print paper the scanner will scan a 12X12 piece of scrapbooking paper which is a huge plus. Hope this helps you out. Again I feel whichever machine you choose you will have fun playing and getting to know a new machine. I like metal dies too but can't stand being locked into just one size of things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2017, 03:02 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm going to add a +1 to those who say you don't need the wireless card. I have the original SnC with the latest software upgrades, which bring its software in line with the SnC2. The wireless card isn't available in New Zealand. It's not a big deal to design the pattern in Canvas or other software, copy to USB stick and take to the machine.

I guess if it was essential or even highly desirable, Brother would have made the wireless card available in all their markets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2017, 03:21 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

It's so difficult to put everything I'm thinking into a post in words that make any sense compared to what I'm trying to convey. Like Rorysnonna I've multiple machines, hopefully she or someone can critique me! We relocated cross country and downsized so I had to scale down! Out of the machines I especially missed my KNK 24" Maxx I gifted to my friend. I've since replaced it with a smaller 15" KNK Force. KNK machines are the most powerful and versatile machines on the market IMHO, but they are pricey. I'm now down to three machines. Out of all of the brands I've owned my KNK and SNC are my favorite go to machines.

I do have a wireless card for my SNC 2, but I don't use the wireless. I like being able to move it around without the hassle of having to be connected. Aside from being able to use the USB to transfer files from my design program, I often just take the this shortcut. This is especially useful for transferring files from my Cameo. I separate the layers use white as the fill and black as the outline, print, scan into my SNC, and save to the USB unless it's an image I'm sure I'll only need once. I do the same with another machine I own, because the two machines won't allow saving their images to SVG. I do convert favorite images I've purchased that can only be used with these two machines to SVG files so I can use them in my KNK.

I have several vector design programs, another weakness of mine, to choose from. Silhouette Studio is free and is an awesome design program. One can design, print, and scan in their design as I've described above instead of using Brother's Canvas program which isn't as robust or easy. I have Make the Cut (MTC), Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL), Adobe Illustrator (AI), and Corel Draw. I will tell you this is overkill, any of these choices are great options if you don't have a design program. I'd suggest, if your budget is limited, start with the free Silhouette Studio and use the method I described above to transfer your design, download MTC and SCAL trial version, then decide which is best for you. Coral and AI are pricey, and overkill for most, but they're options. Oh there's another free option that I've never tried, but many swear by it! The program name escapes me at the moment, wait its Inkscape! Talk about a senior moment

Hope my post makes sense and isn't confusing. The SNC is an awesome machine, and you don't have to use a direct or wireless connection. Plus you can design with Brothers Canvas online program or any of the options I've described above. It's my go to machine for quick and easy projects for sure, love it!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 05-25-2017 at 03:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts
Lightbulb

We have a very informative thread stickied in the Tools & Products forums. Lots of questions & answers posted & tons of advice/tips: Brother Scan and Cut Machine ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2017, 06:45 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

@Annecards
I am so sorry, not wanting to hijack this post...just a question. Does the Silhouette Studio use .eps designs? I use Graphic Stock and would love to be able to use the eps format to resize and edit vector graphics. I don't have a program yet. I can get Adobe Illustrator if I want, but after seeing your post I would love to know if any other options are just as good?

Inkscape does not do eps, and besides, I can't use it with this new computer (another subject! Hi Res monitor...can't use Inkscape or MTC with it. So, I have SCAL 4 regular.)

Again, sorry to interrupt the topic!

On topic though...I do use wireless only for my SNC. If it did not come with my machine, would I have purchased it? Well....probably LOL Not because of any other reason other than I am a wireless junkie LOLol. I just happen to like clicking the transfer to machine button and going to my machine and it's there with a touch. But I have used a flash drive occasionally, and for the money, using a flash drive doesn't take anymore time to use really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
It's so difficult to put everything I'm thinking into a post in words that make any sense compared to what I'm trying to convey. Like Rorysnonna I've multiple machines, hopefully she or someone can critique me! We relocated cross country and downsized so I had to scale down! Out of the machines I especially missed my KNK 24" Maxx I gifted to my friend. I've since replaced it with a smaller 15" KNK Force. KNK machines are the most powerful and versatile machines on the market IMHO, but they are pricey. I'm now down to three machines. Out of all of the brands I've owned my KNK and SNC are my favorite go to machines.

I do have a wireless card for my SNC 2, but I don't use the wireless. I like being able to move it around without the hassle of having to be connected. Aside from being able to use the USB to transfer files from my design program, I often just take the this shortcut. This is especially useful for transferring files from my Cameo. I separate the layers use white as the fill and black as the outline, print, scan into my SNC, and save to the USB unless it's an image I'm sure I'll only need once. I do the same with another machine I own, because the two machines won't allow saving their images to SVG. I do convert favorite images I've purchased that can only be used with these two machines to SVG files so I can use them in my KNK.

I have several vector design programs, another weakness of mine, to choose from. Silhouette Studio is free and is an awesome design program. One can design, print, and scan in their design as I've described above instead of using Brother's Canvas program which isn't as robust or easy. I have Make the Cut (MTC), Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL), Adobe Illustrator (AI), and Corel Draw. I will tell you this is overkill, any of these choices are great options if you don't have a design program. I'd suggest, if your budget is limited, start with the free Silhouette Studio and use the method I described above to transfer your design, download MTC and SCAL trial version, then decide which is best for you. Coral and AI are pricey, and overkill for most, but they're options. Oh there's another free option that I've never tried, but many swear by it! The program name escapes me at the moment, wait its Inkscape! Talk about a senior moment

Hope my post makes sense and isn't confusing. The SNC is an awesome machine, and you don't have to use a direct or wireless connection. Plus you can design with Brothers Canvas online program or any of the options I've described above. It's my go to machine for quick and easy projects for sure, love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2017, 12:30 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftwiseView Post
@Annecards
I am so sorry, not wanting to hijack this post...just a question. Does the Silhouette Studio use .eps designs? I use Graphic Stock and would love to be able to use the eps format to resize and edit vector graphics. I don't have a program yet. I can get Adobe Illustrator if I want, but after seeing your post I would love to know if any other options are just as good?

Inkscape does not do eps, and besides, I can't use it with this new computer (another subject! Hi Res monitor...can't use Inkscape or MTC with it. So, I have SCAL 4 regular.)

Again, sorry to interrupt the topic!

On topic though...I do use wireless only for my SNC. If it did not come with my machine, would I have purchased it? Well....probably LOL Not because of any other reason other than I am a wireless junkie LOLol. I just happen to like clicking the transfer to machine button and going to my machine and it's there with a touch. But I have used a flash drive occasionally, and for the money, using a flash drive doesn't take anymore time to use really.
So sorry I didn't see your question. I sent you a pm last week, hope you received it.

Anne
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes