Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for Old Love Letters?

My mother gave me all her old love letters from my father when they were in high school. They are written on school paper and roughly 36-37 years old. They are funny to read, especially since they were just teenagers and reminded me of my own high school days. I would like to do something special with them but I think it would be more for me than for her.

My father was killed in a car accident right after they were married and several months before I was born. My mother remarried 5 years later. So I don't want to do anything with them and give it to my mom since I wouldn't want to disrespect my stepfather. But I thought it would be neat to use them for something so that I could have and pass on to my children. I think my mother would love to see me do something with them as well.

Any suggestions? I have about 2 dozen or so letters. I'm going to scan them into my computer first just incase anything happens to them or they are lost. I can do a scrapbook, but just wondering if there is something more I can do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm so sorry to read that you never met him, what a wonderful way to get to know him through his personal letters to your mom and their courtship. I think your kids will enjoy learnign about their grandfatehr that way, I remember pouring thorugh my parents yearbooks etc when i was younger

I don't have any really inspired ideas for the at the moment, but will think on it! definitely save and scan them. Perhaps alter a really special box collage style with pics of him, the two of them and tstore them in there? Maybe use the scans and print them on another paper then line the box with them (but not use the originals for that!)

A scrapbook sounds great, too it would be neat to ask your mom what she remembers about the letter and then journal that in
Please visit my blog "Hands, Head, and Heart" at:
http://melaniemuenchinger.blogspot.com/
Check out my Youtube channel for stamping and cardmaking videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MelanieMuenchinger/videos
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 05:47 AM   #3  
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Place love letters on scanner bed in a disarrayed manner. Scan and print. Use for background for Valentine/anniversary cards.

Print scans onto transparency sheets. Use as overlays for other art work.

Cut smaller pieces of your scans to use as background for pendants, rings, etc. or as a unique background for coasters.

Distress scans with various colors of Distress Inks. Use as you would normally for cards, stationery, etc.

Scan onto heavy cardstock and do a gesso wash over them for a rustic finish. Mount photos of your kids, grandparents, great-grans, aunts, uncles, etc. Title the page(s) Generations.

Use bits and pieces with well-chosen phrases as embellishments.

Rainsong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would also check with an archivist to see what the best way is to preserve the originals. Check with your local library or city hall to see how they store rare and old documents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Thank you for the ideas. Those are wonderful! I am going to also check into the best way to archive the originals. My mother had them in her storage room in a plastic bag, so I'm very surprised they have lasted for over 3 decades.

Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I would also check with an archivist to see what the best way is to preserve the originals. Check with your local library or city hall to see how they store rare and old documents.
I agree! What a treasure you have there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What an awesome treasure! What amazing suggestions!

I have a box full of notes that Mike's written to me. He used to pack my lunch and drop me off at work way back in the day when we had one car and I was working to put him through college. He'd write little love notes on my napkins. . . Happy sigh. . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainsongView Post
Place love letters on scanner bed in a disarrayed manner. Scan and print. Use for background for Valentine/anniversary cards.

Print scans onto transparency sheets. Use as overlays for other art work.

Cut smaller pieces of your scans to use as background for pendants, rings, etc. or as a unique background for coasters.

Distress scans with various colors of Distress Inks. Use as you would normally for cards, stationery, etc.

Scan onto heavy cardstock and do a gesso wash over them for a rustic finish. Mount photos of your kids, grandparents, great-grans, aunts, uncles, etc. Title the page(s) Generations.

Use bits and pieces with well-chosen phrases as embellishments.

Rainsong
Wow, I LOVE these ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes