Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:27 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for 5th graders to make?

My son's teacher asked me if I would come up with an idea for the class to make during their 'Holiday' party in a couple of weeks. What can I do that isn't too challenging, since there are a few special needs children in the class, but that won't seem to simple? Any ideas would be great! Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 05:41 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Not a stamping idea, but candy cane reindeer are always a hit with kids. Here are a couple of variations:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf22401235.tip.html

http://www.crafts-for-all-seasons.co...-reindeer.html

The idea is to hang them over a branch on a Christmas tree as ornaments rather than eating them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 06:05 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I've made these with Kindergartners before (I did lots of precutting though!) With older kids, I've been able to have them do most of the work:
http://etherwork.net/ejmtph/sew/feltmouse.html

I've also made felt ice skates (but I can't find a picture of one) I'll do my best to describe. Freehand draw a simple boot shape on a folded piece of paper. The fold should be where your sole is. Then trace onto felt. Open the boot shape and slide a large paper clip where the soles meet. Then fold it so that the clip makes the blade. Hot glue boot closed with a piece of rickrack in between near the top. Then repeat for the other skate. You'll end up with a pair of skates that can be hung over a branch. If you want you can decorate them with glitter glues - just remember, they can get very messy very fast without supervision! I've done this with a variety of grades - the rule I have is that the younger the students are, the more pre-cutting I have to do for them!

I've also made these (making them again this year with our little Grade One buddies as well with my own class of Grade 6's). I've done them with Kindergartners as well - they just need to be supervised in smaller groups.
Beaded snowflakes:
http://crafts.kaboose.com/beaded-sno...ecoration.html

I've also done lightbulb reindeer. Very simple; you just need access to a burnt out Christmas lightbulb for each child:
http://www.craft-central-station.com...s/bulbdeer.htm

I've also done folded stars from Denmark. I find that it is helpful to teach a couple of "experts" first to help students who might have a bit of trouble following along:
http://www.howtomakestars.com/instructions.html

Pasta snowflakes are always fun too. Have a variety of shapes ready. When I have time constraints, I glue the popsicle sticks in advance for them. Take three popsicle sticks and glue them in sort of an asterisk shape. Then kids cover in a pasta pattern. Then you spray paint them gold and silver. They are quite effective.

Those are my "go-to" crafts that I like to do with my classes. I'll be watching to see if anyone else has some fun new creative ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 06:52 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I taught 5th graders, and we did autograph books--they could be stamped with Christmas stamps, and we did recipe books, If there is a puzzle cutter in the school, they could stamp and color a picture, have it laminated, and cut into puzzles. Could they make Christmas cards for those special people? Calendars are always nice.
5th graders still like to color and draw and many of them are very crafty and creative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

For years, I did clear glass ornaments with their pictures inside with my fifth grade class. They loved making them. Before clear ornaments were readily available, we made the colored ones clear by rubbing off the coating on the outside with warm soapy water and shaking bleach inside to wash out the silver (the bleach is better left for adults, though). We would put the pictures on clear acetate, sprinkle in a little tinsel, and use a paint marker to write the year on the outside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2008, 06:59 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for your suggestions! I don't think I will be using anything glass, because most kids have to ride the school bus and I wouldn't want them getting broken. I'm not even sure I could bring glass to school. I was thinking more along the lines of something stamped and they could color it in, or a papercraft that could be put together easily and wouldn't be too expensive to prep for them, as it'll be coming out of my pocket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Embossing is fun and kids get a real kick out it, it is kind of like magic. You will have to be carefull with the heat gun, but 5th grade I think they can do that or you might want to put one person in charge of the heat gun. You can do die cuts of say trees or stars or something and than do a radom or print thing with stamps on the die cuts with embossing ink and powder. You can glue the two together and do a Christmas ornament. With a hole punch on top you can tie a ribbon or some sort of string or such. You can also use glitter or something but hopefully you get the idea. You can use any various die set that you have or can borrow. Most 5th graders can do that I would think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

PERHAPS they might like to try making the easy-peasy silver bells?
Pics are included in my article here: The pics with materials needed and finished project, is linked in the quick and simple instructions.

There is a second project on there for quilted pine cones too; might also be a fun project for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I made the peppermint patties with first graders last year and it went really well. They did the stamping and gluing -- the teachers and I did all of the punching.

Tomorrow I am stamping on frames with fourth graders. The teachers bought wooden frames at M's, and I'm going to bring my Holiday Blitz stamp set and bunch of ink pads for them to decorate it with. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carole M.View Post
PERHAPS they might like to try making the easy-peasy silver bells?
Pics are included in my article here: The pics with materials needed and finished project, is linked in the quick and simple instructions.

There is a second project on there for quilted pine cones too; might also be a fun project for them.
Wow! Those are pretty neat! I don't have a juicer, but I'm sure they aren't that expensive. I have tons of tin foil and ribbon already.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I just made beaded ornamanets with my class. I go the kit at Michael's. the kit made 12 for $4.99. I used the coupon for the kit. they had lots of differnt kits. The kids loved making them. They were so cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I did domino pins with my kids 4th and 5th grade classes last year. I had the kids stamp the dominos with stazon and then color them in with colored pencils which are usually a staple in every elementary classroom. To finish the edges I had the kids wrap the terrifically tacky tape (the red stuff) around the domino and then had them press the edges into glitter. I attached the pin backs after the fronts where done with E6000 adhesive. They where pretty dry in an hour. While some kids where working on the dominos I had another station set up for kids to stamp snowflakes onto tissue paper to wrap their pins in and at another station the kids stamped another christmas design onto small white lunch bags which at the end of the day the kids punched a couple of holes at the top and ran ribbon through the holes to tie the gift bag shut.

It was a bit chaotic but it worked.

Another project I have done is have them stamp and assemble pencil pouches. I think I got the pattern off of here. After the kids where done making them they got a couple of pencils and candy canes to put in them.

This year with my daughters 5th grade class we are going to do the picture cubes that where featured in the weekly inkling a little while ago. I have been in the class getting pictures of the kids so they will have several to choose from to decorate their cube with. I plan on bringing in a bunch of punches and cardstock for them to use also.

Hope this helps a little.
Reply With Quote Likes