Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Question I would like your opinion

I was a SU Demo for about 1 1/2 yrs (2006 - 200; I had to drop because I was a hobby demo and could not afford the min. every 4 mos of 300.00. I do love their products tho.
Now, I have had to leave my job due to health reasons and I am looking to help support our income alittle bit.
My question is - Should I go back to being a SU Demo again and why or why not. Or, should I become a TAC Demo and why I should or should not become one. I don't know much about the company themselves; but, I do have 1 stamp from them that I love the detail on it.

I would really appreciate any opinions pro or con for either company. I talked this over with my DH and he is all for me saving space with the unmounted images...

Sheila
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would go back to SU!! First of all, I'm a little biased because I'm an SU demo. I just think SU is more popular than TAC in general! The matching cardstock, inks, ribbons, embellishments, makes success automatic for any level of stamper!

Stampin' Up is an awesome company, DEBT-FREE (hard to come by these day!), and they really listen to their demos regarding a lot of things - details available upon request!

And this is a GREAT time to become a demo - during Sale-a-bration (til the end of March) the Starter Kit is $30 off, AND you can choose a free stamp set of any price!! Do you have a local demo that you would want to sign up under? I would take care in choosing an upline - local is best, of course, for obvious reasons, but long-distance can work well too. You want someone who will encourage you and give you ideas, and who will help you achieve YOUR goals, not HER goals!

Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:15 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

This sounds like a tough decision and to be honest, I think your real question isn't really which company but whether you should do it at all. You need to ask some basic business questions: Is there a customer base in your area? Do you have or can you create access to that customer base? How much competition is there from existing demos and/or stamping stores in your area? Can you offer something that they don't to ensure you get a slice of the pie? Do you want to change your relationship with stamping so that it shifts from being a hobby to becoming a business? Are you the kind of person who is comfortable selling stuff?

If you answer all of those questions in a way that means you still want to be a demo for somebody then you can move to deciding which.

Just my thoughts - good luck if you decide to go for it!

My blog
Old 02-27-2009, 06:23 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Joanne I think you gave excellent advice. I have been thinking of being a demo for a long time, but in my little community there is already a demo, the girls have been stamping with her for years, and there is not a large enough customer base to share and I have always worried that I would not enjoy my stamping any more once I became a demo. Also in our area I have noticed the girls are not buying like they used to just because of the economic times.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Thanks

I do appreciate what you said about customer base; and I am thinking about that because there are 4 SU Demos within a 7 miles radius of me and there is not a TAC Demo within a 50 mile radius. I am wondering with the economic times if it would be more cost effective for myself and the consumer to go with TAC? Their sets are 1/2 the cost and the quaility is up there as far as the stamping image on their rubber. I have no issues with SU at all; I love, love, love their products, but with the economic times I am wondering if it would profit me more to go with TAC?

Thanks so much ladies for your input - please continue to respond, for I will probably be making a decision within the next week.

Sheila
Old 02-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #6  
Vee
Hardware Hotshot

I am a SU! demo but I would also recommend TAC for the fact that it will be something different for people in your area. They have easier minimums which will help at the start.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I have a TAC angel and a CTMH rep and they are both terrific. However, the reason why I purchase from them and not from SU is that I think I am getting MUCH better value for my money.

Both companies do all the coordinating color stuff that SU brags on, so no loss there. Both companies are not as pervasive as SU which would mean less competition for you for the same products. Both companies make great stamps which give images that are just as sharp and clear as those from SU and, quite frankly, are mostly more appealing to me.

Both companies have more generous (i.e. lower) levels for hostess rewards which should help sales a little. TAC especially has a lower quarterly assessment to maintain your status which I would consider important.

I am going to a party/crop with my CTMH rep tomorrow and several of my stamping friends are coming because they saw a catalog and noticed the significant cost savings compared to SU.

I'm not advising you whether to take the plunge or not- you need to decide that. I *am* saying that TAC would seem to be a better choice than SU, especially in the currrent economic climate where stampers and crafters will be like everyone else- counting their pennies and looking for the most for their dollars.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I hate to sound like a dummy, but what is TAC?? TIA!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Old 02-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
This sounds like a tough decision and to be honest, I think your real question isn't really which company but whether you should do it at all. You need to ask some basic business questions: Is there a customer base in your area? Do you have or can you create access to that customer base? How much competition is there from existing demos and/or stamping stores in your area? Can you offer something that they don't to ensure you get a slice of the pie? Do you want to change your relationship with stamping so that it shifts from being a hobby to becoming a business? Are you the kind of person who is comfortable selling stuff?

If you answer all of those questions in a way that means you still want to be a demo for somebody then you can move to deciding which.

Just my thoughts - good luck if you decide to go for it!
This was my thought, too.

Do you have the time, energy, and available customer base to really make your business successful? Actually making money with any multi-level marketing company is TOUGH.

Say you have an event and you sell $300, that's only $60 commission, BEFORE you factor in make n' take expenses, prep time, gas to get there or refreshments at your home. Pretty soon you're barely breaking even, heaven forbid somebody stamps with staz-on on your blush stamp pad, or walks off with your scissors. Not to be debbie-downer, but just to point out how tough it is.

Are you likely to spend more than you'll make because you'll want the newest stuff to demo or stuff for yourself? Remember, you'll need to sell 5 of whatever you buy just to break even (based on 20% commission). I had a hard time with this when I was a demo.

I'd see if there were any other opportunities for you to earn spending money and keep stamping as your hobby. That's my honest opinion.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Vee...I was just going to post that same message! I am a TAC demo, and it suited my needs. I find it easier to attain the minimums, and in my area, we are not saturated with TAC demos! However, the SU demos are tripping all over ea. other! But both have wonderful products, but ea. are different in their own way. TAC has umounted, and uses acrylic blocks. The wooden blocks by SU are more common I think. You will have very much to think about,before you make your decision. Good luck in whatever you decide. Karen
Old 02-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

TAC is The Angel Company. Check it out at theangelcompany.net

I have been a demo for a short time and love, love, love the products and the company.

Blessings,

Anne

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
I hate to sound like a dummy, but what is TAC?? TIA!
"but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind...I press on toward the the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Phil 3:13b-14
Old 02-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post

Do you have the time, energy, and available customer base to really make your business successful? Actually making money with any multi-level marketing company is TOUGH.

Say you have an event and you sell $300, that's only $60 commission, BEFORE you factor in make n' take expenses, prep time, gas to get there or refreshments at your home. Pretty soon you're barely breaking even, heaven forbid somebody stamps with staz-on on your blush stamp pad, or walks off with your scissors. Not to be debbie-downer, but just to point out how tough it is.

Are you likely to spend more than you'll make because you'll want the newest stuff to demo or stuff for yourself? Remember, you'll need to sell 5 of whatever you buy just to break even (based on 20% commission). I had a hard time with this when I was a demo.

I'd see if there were any other opportunities for you to earn spending money and keep stamping as your hobby. That's my honest opinion.
These girls are geniuses. Listen to them.
My A Muse Studio
Old 02-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post

I've been a SU demo for 8 years now and I'd have to agree with Krystie.
Good luck with what ever decision you make, though!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

If you truly need to add to the household income, I don't think that becoming a demo for either company is going to do it. From what I've read, it takes a long time to make this business profitable. For SU, I think that the ladies who actually earn money from the company have quite a downline. The majority of people state that they claim it as a loss for several years.
We all know that this hobby is a money pit. (I love spending my hard earned money on it, but I admit it's a money pit.) So, if you are looking to put groceries in the cupboard, I would look for something that is not stamping related.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:59 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I agree totally with Lynne. To really make any money with your SU or TAC business, you need a downline. A lot of them. You also need to NOT purchase for yourself except consumables. Lots of orders, lots of classes with good profit margins, etc are also how you make money.

You can make a bit of money with your stamping if you can sell cards though. Some have a binder or basket of cards at their hubby's work and people buy them like crazy. You might search the forums for those who have done this.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:20 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

In all honesty, there are a few folks who make $$ working this type of business, but most don't.

It isn't a stamping job, it is a sales job. The products do not sell themselves. There is huge competition both from other demos and other stamp companies, a tanked economy, and limited market.

That said, someone is making money at it and it could be you. Eventually.

If you are a natural saleswoman, and have the money to invest (and possibly lose) then go for it. My BIL can sell car insurance to someone with no car, KWIM? He is personable, friendly, yet manages to work his business by knowing everyone in his town and being OUT there all the time.

I couldn't sell milk to the Duggars.

Whatever happens, I hope you are able to find a way to make some $$.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:35 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
In all honesty, there are a few folks who make $$ working this type of business, but most don't.

It isn't a stamping job, it is a sales job. The products do not sell themselves. There is huge competition both from other demos and other stamp companies, a tanked economy, and limited market.

That said, someone is making money at it and it could be you. Eventually.

If you are a natural saleswoman, and have the money to invest (and possibly lose) then go for it. My BIL can sell car insurance to someone with no car, KWIM? He is personable, friendly, yet manages to work his business by knowing everyone in his town and being OUT there all the time.

I couldn't sell milk to the Duggars.

Whatever happens, I hope you are able to find a way to make some $$.

Good one! I don't think I could sell them milk either. My son, who has an amazing personality, hates to sell things. When he used to have a cub scout fundraiser - pizza kits or that wonderful boy scout pop corn, I would send him outside to ask the neighbors that we know. I would peek outside, and he would just be sitting on the front porch. He hates to sell, and that's that.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:41 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriegelView Post
I was a SU Demo for about 1 1/2 yrs (2006 - 200; I had to drop because I was a hobby demo and could not afford the min. every 4 mos of 300.00. I do love their products tho.
Now, I have had to leave my job due to health reasons and I am looking to help support our income alittle bit.
My question is - Should I go back to being a SU Demo again and why or why not. Or, should I become a TAC Demo and why I should or should not become one. I don't know much about the company themselves; but, I do have 1 stamp from them that I love the detail on it.

I would really appreciate any opinions pro or con for either company. I talked this over with my DH and he is all for me saving space with the unmounted images...

Sheila
Does it really cost 300$ every 4 month???? What do you have to buy that it is so much??
Old 02-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

that's just the minimum sales requirement for SU to stay a demo. Breaking it down, it is $100 a month, and after the demo's 20% discount it is $80 a month plus taxes and shipping.

The theory is that you aren't buying it all for yourself, but selling to others.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:23 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
that's just the minimum sales requirement for SU to stay a demo. Breaking it down, it is $100 a month, and after the demo's 20% discount it is $80 a month plus taxes and shipping.

The theory is that you aren't buying it all for yourself, but selling to others.
Thanks for explaining I did not know how it worked.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Wink Thanks Again

Well ladies you have "outdid" yourselves again; that is why I asked for "your" opinions, I can always count on a variety. Also, the comment "I can't sell milk to the Duggars" was all too funny; and I do have a difficult time promoting my business at church.
Here is what I have come up with so far after reading all of these posts and talking it over with my DH. I am not going to become a demo for either company, there has been some very valid points made here and I so appreciate all of the input. Here is what I have decided to do - I am going to "upgrade" a few of the essential items that I will need to make card making easier and quicker and practical. I have ordered a BIG SHOT for 60.00 and 4 sets of nestabilities @ 20.00 a set; these items are an investment to me to become better at what I know I can already do.
I have been successful at selling the cards that I have already made for 2.00 each w/envelope, and I have made wedding invitations. So, I think that I will purchase from both companies as I CAN AFFORD IT and make a blog and sell these items. I know that I can also sell wedding invitations once I make a portfolio; they are so very expensive these days. I can also do other invitations, thank you notes, note cards and on the list grows....
I have also been asked to speak at ladies retreats where I can put out a table of the items that I have made to sell, the possibilities could be endless here.
Also, we have talked about the "downside" of having classes in our home, we would have to put more liability insurance on our homeowners incase someone was hurt on our property; and like one lady pointed out, items stolen, misused and so forth.
THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED, I REALLY APPRECIATED ALL OF THE COMMENTS!!

Sheila
Old 02-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

That sounds like a great solution Sheila, very best of luck with selling your items!

My blog
Old 02-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Sheila, congrats on making your decision. I think this is a good thread because I'm sure other people have the same question. So, I'm still goint to add my two cents, lol!

First I'm an SU! so I'm definitely biased. But, I realize TAC (and other companies) have a lot to offer as well. I just wanted to say that you shouldn't base your decision on whether there are other demos in your area. If all else is equal, then maybe that would be the deciding factor.

No matter what company a person chooses, you have to do the work to be successful and other demos in your area does not make that impossible. I live in the Chicago area--we have tons of demos and there are several within my little subdivision. I still consider my business a success. I still meet people that never heard of SU!

I think a person's decision should be based on what company you feel most comfortable with and whose products you like more.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

I think you have made a great decision - especially iof you've had success selling your cards in the past & the idea of selling invitations is a great one! I just wanted to suggest selling cards and invitations at etsy.com ~ I really think if you are able to get business selling wedding invitations, you'd make quite a profit. It's alot of work but could be very well worth it! Good Luck!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by chispiritView Post
Does it really cost 300$ every 4 month???? What do you have to buy that it is so much??
It's also every 3 months, NOT every 4 months