Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2020, 12:57 PM   #41
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

I kept only tools and basics when I moved and now and very much more frugal when I buy. I only buy what I will use more then once. Paper seems to grow without buying so I rarely buy any. And I no longer buy for the hyped up release days. And I don't place an order until I have inked up what I previously purchased. Keeps things in order and used.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Arlene_C, cardmaker2, shirlb19 and 1 others like this post.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #42
Glitter Queen

I have also found myself in the same situation as many of you. As a former SU Hobbyist, I bought and collected all the things. Now I just don't have the desire to even stamp anymore. I have attempted several times to sell retired items, but you know everyone else is selling the same retired items especially if they are still with SU. And I WISHED I had not spent so much money! I even had my brother custom build me a stamp pad holder. So I kind of feel quilty if I sell everything and then I am stuck with something I can't use for anything else. I live in a small town and there is not any places that accepts donations of crafty items unless its a thrift store.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #43
Proud Fan Club Member

Hi Marilyn,

You might get the desire back to stamp. I have seen threads where people regretted getting rid of everything and then wanting to start over.

Shirl
bettyjoanes and Ozpom like this post.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #44
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc123mac View Post
I have also found myself in the same situation as many of you. As a former SU Hobbyist, I bought and collected all the things. Now I just don't have the desire to even stamp anymore. I have attempted several times to sell retired items, but you know everyone else is selling the same retired items especially if they are still with SU. And I WISHED I had not spent so much money! I even had my brother custom build me a stamp pad holder. So I kind of feel quilty if I sell everything and then I am stuck with something I can't use for anything else. I live in a small town and there is not any places that accepts donations of crafty items unless its a thrift store.

Keeping things and never using them isn’t really different than getting rid of them. We don’t get a penny back either way. But when they’re gone, all the things aren’t staring at us making us feel guilty.

If the thrift store is a non-profit that supports a good cause, all the better. Even if not, at least they’re gone. Or maybe pack up mystery boxes to sell for postage.

Like Shirl said, you might find that you’ll want to stamp again - if you only keep items that knock your socks off. If not, people go through stages; a hobby we had 5-10-20-40 years ago may not provide satisfaction or fun now. It’s just life, right? No harm, no foul.

Just my take. YMMV.
Beth
kazeka, bettyjoanes, shirlb19 and 2 others like this post.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:11 PM   #45
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
Keeping things and never using them isn’t really different than getting rid of them. We don’t get a penny back either way. But when they’re gone, all the things aren’t staring at us making us feel guilty.

If the thrift store is a non-profit that supports a good cause, all the better. Even if not, at least they’re gone. Or maybe pack up mystery boxes to sell for postage.

Like Shirl said, you might find that you’ll want to stamp again - if you only keep items that knock your socks off. If not, people go through stages; a hobby we had 5-10-20-40 years ago may not provide satisfaction or fun now. It’s just life, right? No harm, no foul.

Just my take. YMMV.
Beth
As an illustration of your point, my husband and I used to ride Harleys with friends. We shipped the bike across country twice. Prior to our last move we spent a few years remodeling our house and rarely rode, so we sold the bike rather than ship it again, feeling that we would just buy another one if we missed it. We've been here five years and still no new Harley. We had a very, very fun eight-year run, but now we're on to other things.

Moving on from a craft, hobby, or any other thing shouldn't be a "guilt" thing - ever! Consider it an "entertainment expense", rather than an "investment". We pay money for entertainment like movies or blackjack or golf games or sightseeing tours or whatever, and don't give a thought that "oh, the money's gone and I have nothing to show for it". You had the thrill of the chase to find the things, the satisfaction of bringing them home and admiring them, the extra satisfaction if you actually USED them, and that's enough "entertainment" for anyone (or me, at least). If it's not your thing (even if it once was), it's not your thing. Unclench your grip on the things (physical and/or emotional) and move on...*

*Please know that I am saying these things to myself every bit as much as to anyone else. Pot, have you met Kettle...?

ChrisO, domesticdiva, Brenda71 and 14 others like this post.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #46
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzgurl View Post

Moving on from a craft, hobby, or any other thing shouldn't be a "guilt" thing - ever! Consider it an "entertainment expense", rather than an "investment"
That is a great perspective!
gregzgurl, kazeka, bettyjoanes and 2 others like this post.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:28 PM   #47
Proud Fan Club Member

Loved reading your input, Sue. Yes, great perspective and so helpful. Just had to say it, as "liking" your post was not good enough, lol.

Shirl
ChrisO, gregzgurl, smhtwin and 3 others like this post.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #48
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post
I am not really a purger and I do buy whole color ranges of coloring mediums so, the waffling thing for me comes in with embellishments more than anything else. ( I really hardly ever use them, and I have received tons of them over the years as gifts) so, those are the things that I find harder to let go of is I think to my self, your not going to use that and then it is quickly followed by so an so gifted this to you to "make cards with" and a darling hopeful look on their face when they said it, and is probably expecting to see it used sooner or later. and that is my hard thing.
Note to self...do not send Stacy embellishments
Brenda71, gregzgurl, JBgreendawn and 2 others like this post.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #49
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazeka View Post
That's why I never want to move...I have SO much stuff! The paper crafting is only one of my many hobbies over the years. I've dabbled in everything from sewing, to quilting, to crochet, cross-stitch and needlepoint, soap and candle making, you name it. I've gotten rid of a lot of excess by donating to the senior center or schools but there's still a lot left.

I started out as a scrapbooker and found that the supplies for scrapbooking actually took up more room than my current ones for card making. I used to stamp on my layouts so still had stamps and ink, but the papers and tools were for 12x12 so that took up room. Also, the albums are filling two large shelves in my living room bookcase. Of course, I over-bought when I started too, so that all adds to the stash. I have a lot of partially finished layouts that I hope to finish this year and get into albums. That will be a good feeling.
Karen
Come scrapbook again. I’m the opposite. I had a lot of stash but since taking up cardmaking 3 years ago my room has exploded..with stamps, dies, Bigshot, embellishments....I wish I’d just stuck with scrapbooking now even if the albums take up a bit of room. I love photos and journalling so scrapbooking seems a good fit for me. If I hadn’t started making cards I wouldn’t have learnt about mixed media...now that’s another pile of stash I keep everything....from every negatives, scraps, empty boxes to empty pill wrappers...you name it...or I did. They are all in the big green bin now ready to go to the tip lol
lesliespringer, gregzgurl, kazeka and 2 others like this post.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #50
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc123mac View Post

I know how you feel. I got in a funk (that's a nicer word for what I was going through) and didn't stamp regularly for about 5 years. I made a card now and then when I needed to, but no more than 3 or 4 a year. I have just started thinking about it again since it feels like my dark cloud is lifting. I am in the process of digging (yes, digging....my room became a dumping ground) out my craft room and I actually can't wait to get at it again. I hope my ink is still good!

So, the moral of my story is....if you think you may get back at it, dont be too quick to get rid of things. If you know without a doubt that you won't and its causing you grief, then get rid of whatever you want. Maybe pack up a box with the basics incase you get the urge to create one day.
ChrisO, Brenda71, gregzgurl and 4 others like this post.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #51
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanGC View Post
Beth, really great ideas.

I would add ... go through the paper packs and pull out the sheets you know you’ll use and then put the rest aside to get rid of.

In my monthly crop group we bring in unwanteds and pass them around for others to pick through. The rest we donate to a school.

I’m on a crafting diet. I’m not buying anything this year except replacements (oh and that cute stamp set that was 40% off with free shipping 🙄). And my goal is to go through all my stamps and dies and use them or decide I really won’t use much and get rid of.

I also plan to use up my patterned paper. Pulling at least one sheet a week and using it - on layouts or cards.

I think there’s a lot of us with this goal....I’m not buying..repeat..I’m not buying..
Brenda71, gregzgurl and CJ Crafty Designs like this post.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #52
Stazon Splitcoast

I wish I could have back all the money I spent on the stuff in my room. Then I could buy back the things I want, and go on really great holiday!!
gregzgurl, jeannemlehrman, Ozpom and 1 others like this post.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #53
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Oooh, I love the idea of using binder clips to hold the papers that you want to keep. My paper stacks are always falling apart, and the scraps fall onto the floor etc. I need to go buy a bunch of binder clips and get crackin'.
Karen
I store all of my papers by colour ROYGBIV order. I use a 12x12 scrapbook album protector for scraps and have that at the front of each colour. I do the same for patterned papers. I keep paper packs such as Kaisercraft ones together as they have done the colour coordination and work for me. Scraps are filed the same. This year I will throw more scraps away. I have way too many.

If it wasn’t so expensive to mail to the States from here I’d donate a lot more. No one seems to want it here and I have few friends who create. Everyone is purging lol.
Brenda71, gregzgurl, bettyjoanes and 1 others like this post.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #54
Proud Fan Club Member

I’ve been purging for over a week now...well sort of..not a lot has been purged but that’s another story lol. I’m doing it with a friend on this site and we are motivating one another.

If you can move everything out of your room and start again, I’d recommend that, or just focus on one area at a time and set a timer. It is overwhelming and I’ve had a couple of melt downs during the week but have stuck with it. The room became a dumping ground and I felt as though I’d never get through it. Part of it is now starting to look like a craft room.

What I have learnt during the purge is that I had similar items in 2 or 3 different places. I kept SU stamps together, CTMH in another box, CP in another and then every other brand in a fridge bin. I’ve now got them all together by theme and my goal is also to ink up what I’ve never used. There’s a lot...eeeek. I’ve done the same with all other items so now I can go straight to my scrapbooking area and see what’s there, stamps and dies in another area, tools elsewhere. It’s starting to motivate me to want to create again.

I also found that I don’t need more paper, stamps, dies, adhesives, page protectors, CS, Misti’s, cutters, alpha’s, journals, paints, inks, albums, embellishments I really don’t know who has been buying all this stuff. Some items I’ve never seen before

I’ve still got a long way to go but i know it will be worth it. It’s liberating.Will it stay like this...I doubt it in some areas but I’m going to do my best to keep it that way.

Beth and other ladies, some great ideas. Thank you. Happy purging and creating.
ChrisO, lesliespringer, Brenda71 and 7 others like this post.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #55
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozpom View Post
I store all of my papers by colour ROYGBIV order. I use a 12x12 scrapbook album protector for scraps and have that at the front of each colour. I do the same for patterned papers. I keep paper packs such as Kaisercraft ones together as they have done the colour coordination and work for me. Scraps are filed the same. This year I will throw more scraps away. I have way too many.

If it wasn’t so expensive to mail to the States from here I’d donate a lot more. No one seems to want it here and I have few friends who create. Everyone is purging lol.
I just found a binder with plastic sleeves full of paper scraps. All organized in ROYGBIV order! It obviously wasn't working since I forgot I even had it! So, I am going to pit them into file folders and put them in the filing cabinet that Ive had for years but never used.
Brenda71, gregzgurl, shirlb19 and 1 others like this post.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #56
Cardstock Collector

@ozpom - good for you! Great lessons learned too. Love this comment below... too funny ... and so true!

Quote:
I really don’t know who has been buying all this stuff. Some items I’ve never seen before
Brenda71, gregzgurl, Carol W and 2 others like this post.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #57
Cardstock Collector

Oh I fall into this catergory. I grew up with a grandmother who loved crafting. She grew up during the depression. She collected everything.

Flash forward a few years, I love to craft. @30 years ago I had money but no time. So, I bought thing just for when I have the time. Now, the time has come. I have cutters, stamps, inks, markers, every type of paper, every brand and every gaget.

Lucky for me my job was a librarian, so everything is easy to find and notes taken. Very Organized.

Right now, I'm having the best time. Kids are gone, All my craft stuff is in a large room, with a large table and a view of the Sierra Mountians. Life is good, when you make it that way and have a goal to create each day!
Brenda71, cnsteele, gregzgurl and 7 others like this post.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #58
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischelle1 View Post
Oh I fall into this catergory. I grew up with a grandmother who loved crafting. She grew up during the depression. She collected everything.

Flash forward a few years, I love to craft. @30 years ago I had money but no time. So, I bought thing just for when I have the time. Now, the time has come. I have cutters, stamps, inks, markers, every type of paper, every brand and every gaget.

Lucky for me my job was a librarian, so everything is easy to find and notes taken. Very Organized.

Right now, I'm having the best time. Kids are gone, All my craft stuff is in a large room, with a large table and a view of the Sierra Mountians. Life is good, when you make it that way and have a goal to create each day!
Thank you for posting this, Mischelle! I've been doing much the same thing - collecting and organizing for when I have the time. I feel much better knowing that I am not the only one, and that it truly can work that way - that I'm not just procrastinating.

That being said, I have purged a TON of stuff and am mulling over whether to give it away (my usual) or sell it off. The reason I'm leaning toward the latter is that I said "when" on my day job on Monday and am currently unemployed and hoping to remain that way. I plan to still bring in some income, but not via a "job". I have the time to take pictures and list stuff and all of that, so maybe...

Old 01-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #59
Die Cut Diva

I went to SU Convention in 2003, right after I started as a demo. I went to a workshop there; and, the presenter said "you don't need everything" to be a demo. She went on to say "How many Halloween sets do you really need?" I remember that question when I think about buying anything whether crafting or otherwise (how many sets of sheets do you need?, how many mugs do you need, hows many shirts do you need, etc...)

I still buy and I have a big collection of stamps, ink, paper, embossing folders and dies. But I mainly stick to SU--probably 95%.

I save my paper scraps in individual sheet protectors by color. Every January, I go through those and only keep pieces that are 1/4 sheet or bigger and donate all the rest to our church Sunday School class. It frees up some space and the kids love all the colors.

Happy Stampin'!, everyone.
Brenda71, cnsteele, Arlene_C and 4 others like this post.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #60
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlb19 View Post
This is a great thread, and Beth your long post was interesting to read. I cave when I see items go on clearance on SU. I was just thinking the other day......if I could start over. But that ship has already sailed, lol.....

Shirl

Oh yes, sales are what used to just kill me! I just couldn't resist a good sale, and then when I bought...it was often in multiples.

Of course, we can't start over..but we can start again in a new way.
Karen
Old 01-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #61
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
I think there’s a lot of us with this goal....I’m not buying..repeat..I’m not buying..

ROFL.......Even though I have been saying what you just quoted, Jayne, I just found myself over on Divinity Designs......putting items on my wishlist. Well, at least I was not buying right this minute, lol.......

Shirl
Old 01-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Still plugging away and purging. Happy with the progress I'm making. I should post a pic of my to give away pile and my for sale pile, but granted they are all very old stamps!

The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.

Brenda71, Arlene_C and grateful2bsaved like this post.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #63
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:
Note to self...do not send Stacy embellishments

Thanks Jayne, I truly appreciate it

My Blog
shirlb19 likes this post.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #64
Rubber Obsessor

Sue said it all - and wonderfully said !
John 3:16
Arlene_C and shirlb19 like this post.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #65
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:
I’ve been purging for over a week now...well sort of..not a lot has been purged but that’s another story lol. I’m doing it with a friend on this site and we are motivating one another.

If you can move everything out of your room and start again, I’d recommend that, or just focus on one area at a time and set a timer. It is overwhelming and I’ve had a couple of melt downs during the week but have stuck with it. The room became a dumping ground and I felt as though I’d never get through it. Part of it is now starting to look like a craft room.

What I have learnt during the purge is that I had similar items in 2 or 3 different places. I kept SU stamps together, CTMH in another box, CP in another and then every other brand in a fridge bin. I’ve now got them all together by theme and my goal is also to ink up what I’ve never used. There’s a lot...eeeek. I’ve done the same with all other items so now I can go straight to my scrapbooking area and see what’s there, stamps and dies in another area, tools elsewhere. It’s starting to motivate me to want to create again.

I also found that I don’t need more paper, stamps, dies, adhesives, page protectors, CS, Misti’s, cutters, alpha’s, journals, paints, inks, albums, embellishments I really don’t know who has been buying all this stuff. Some items I’ve never seen before

I’ve still got a long way to go but i know it will be worth it. It’s liberating.Will it stay like this...I doubt it in some areas but I’m going to do my best to keep it that way.

Beth and other ladies, some great ideas. Thank you. Happy purging and creating.

My son moved into my daughters room since she will continue onto graduate school. So her stuff went into his room. We put all of my stamping stuff in the dining room. Going through every single items I have. I'm working with a smaller area, my crafting area was the basement. Since my knee is not healing as expected I can't go up and down stairs to craft.

So far I have 2 two gallon ziploc bags full of embellishments and odds and ends And two containers of stamps. And throw out what was not worth selling or giving away.

I even found a set of those scissors that cut different patterns I bought when my kids were small!!

The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Brenda71, JBgreendawn, Arlene_C and 3 others like this post.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #66
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I do not envy you that work Leslie from moving from room to room but, I wish I had the space to clear all my things out and just bring back in what I truly love and want to keep, some times it feels like when you do these bags and boxes of purging that it is not making a dent in the stash.

My Blog
lesliespringer and Arlene_C like this post.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:44 PM   #67
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I do not envy you that work Leslie from moving from room to room but, I wish I had the space to clear all my things out and just bring back in what I truly love and want to keep, some times it feels like when you do these bags and boxes of purging that it is not making a dent in the stash.

oh I'm making a dent! Getting rid of all the old stamps and stamps that I used tons of times or just don't want any more. I have to make my space more manageable.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #68
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

when I say you I meant me hahaha...
I have given away about a foot of printed papers so far in the last year or so,

and I have tried really hard not to buy more but...

I am starting to feel more inspired to fill some more boxes, maybe even with lumps and bumps in them

My Blog
lesliespringer, Brenda71 and shirlb19 like this post.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #69
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
when I say you I meant me hahaha...
I have given away about a foot of printed papers so far in the last year or so,

and I have tried really hard not to buy more but...

I am starting to feel more inspired to fill some more boxes, maybe even with lumps and bumps in them

Going through "sentimental" stamps also, along with stamps that images are to small for me to color with my occasional eye problems. Haven't even got to the papers yet or embossing folders

Old 01-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #70
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Crafty Designs View Post

Another factor that prevent some people from purging their stash is the amount of money invested in their stuff. This money is considered “sunk costs”, which are dollars already spent and permanently lost. Sunk costs cannot be refunded or recovered, so it should not influence us as to how or where we distribute our purged items. Hard to do, but necessary to get past that “but it cost me this much” hurdle. Again, your list provides actions so that others can benefit from our purges.

Have y'all heard the expression "No man is completely useless... they can always serve as a bad example." I try to apply that to purchases I make that later cause buyers remorse. Sometimes you have to buy something to release its not high quality, like cheap.

Another view I like to take is that I didn't necessarily pay for the product, but for the experience I had with a product. Take Distress Sprays... quality product that I thought I would enjoy. I did not and immediately regretted the waste of $ spent on 3 of them. Then I realized I basically took a home based class where I had ample time to experiment with the product, and got to keep it. After my class, I decided it wasn't for me, so I feel comfortable now passing them on to someone else. But had I not paid for my "class" I wouldn't have had the experience of playing with a new to me product. Its harder to apply this outlook to unused stamps, but if the purchases and later purge help you to narrow down your style, then I think it was worth it! Lesson learned. Just extend yourself grace, cause there are always lessons to be learned! LOL Just my take!!!
Brenda71 and jeannemlehrman like this post.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #71
Stazon Splitcoast

Just a note: I go to Stamp Club once a month where we are expected to buy $25 of Stampin' Up! products. If only I spent $25! Hah! Also, we make 5 cards there everytime. I have been doing this for about 10 years. Anyway, we say we do this so that this because it is cheaper than therapy. LOL! Hence I have room full of products.
Crocheter, beginner quilter, avid reader
Brenda71 and muscrat like this post.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #72
Stazon Splitcoast

Been working all day on my purge.

Slowly making progress.

My purge so far.

sorry about sideways pic uploaded from phone and can't figure out how to fix pic.

Last edited by lesliespringer; 01-18-2020 at 03:18 PM..
Old 01-18-2020, 03:18 PM   #73
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliespringer View Post
Been working all day on my purge.

Slowly making progress.

My purge so far.

You done good! Come on over to my house! LOL
Crocheter, beginner quilter, avid reader
Old 01-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CuteCats View Post
You done good! Come on over to my house! LOL

Not done yet. Still have odds and ends in the dining room to go through.
But I think I'm done with stamps. All I have left regarding stamps are all the new ones I haven't used yet. Have to get those organized.

Brenda71 likes this post.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #75
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm buying this desk from Ikea tomorrow.

Even through my daughters old sturdy colorful acrylic paint splattered desk is ok, I want a new bigger work desk!

Brenda71 and bettyjoanes like this post.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #76
Stazon Splitcoast

Almost done just have to go through my punches, then type up my sell list take some pictures and post it.  Hope the system bug is fixed soon.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #77
Crimping Master

Quote:
Yes, I think that many of us started out with so much enthusiasm, and are now finding ourselves overwhelmed and burned out. My problem was buying WAY too much paper when I started. I didn't buy with purpose, or with the idea of coordinating colors or anything. So, here I am with a ton of stuff that doesn't go together in color or style...sigh.

One thing I would warn those who are starting out is to try not to buy everything all at once. Wait until you find what works for you, and add with a plan.

Karen

I remember when I first started paper crafting over 20 years ago. My friends and I would go to the rubber stamp conventions locally as well as out of town. I/we were like a deers blinded by headlights! Every demo I participated in just inspired me (for the moment) and I HAD TO BUY the products used to create that piece of art.  
Honestly over the years I've gotten rid of 75% of the products purchased.   
Lesson learned, you can make beautiful projects without breaking the bank by being selective in your purchases and buy multi- use products.
Brenda71, Arlene_C, bettyjoanes and 1 others like this post.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:02 AM   #78
Glitter Guru

Exactly. Do I want to be a collector or a crafter? Collecting is fine but not my goal. 

A reminder and question for every purchase I’m considering:
1) Just because something is wonderful doesn’t mean I’ll use it, and 
2) How will I use it? If I can’t come up with realistic ideas - and it’s okay to look on line -then step away and no one will get hurt.

For me there’s also a rough sort and fine sort when purging. Rough sort goes fairly quickly, getting rid of the obvious and some things I might waffle about. But going back later I’ll find more - anywhere in the house, not just the craft stash. It used to bug me - why is there always 10% more I can get rid of when I go back in a few weeks or months? 

But it’s like if you read a book or see a movie a second time, you notice more. That’s normal. 
Brenda71, Arlene_C and bettyjoanes like this post.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #79
Glitter Guru

Neat blog entry today about purging by Totally Tiffany, including a video. I liked her story around 11:45 about going to a terrible movie with a friend.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #80
Glitter Guru

And coincidentally, Kristina Werner on feeling overwhelmed by too much stuff and a messy craft room - plus a challenge.