Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-11-2009, 03:36 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I told y'all Michaels was hurting...

Cathie Filian just posted this link. I didn't sub to the whole article, but the first paragraph is enough.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...02-718160
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 03:53 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh no!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 04:06 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Yikes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:09 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

It's not surprising the Michaels is hurting now. They've been fat, dumb and happy for way too long. With the sudden increase of online stores, comsumers are a lot more discriminating. Besides . . . how many have really NOT figured out that Michaels prices are seriously inflated to accomodate the coupon discounts? They banked on people walking in the store . . . using their coupon BUT purchasing other items at the inflated prices. Did they really think we're all THAT stupid? In reality . . . how many actually bought into that scam? I for one never did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Default After yesterday

not sure that Michaels will be getting much of my business anymore. The positive is that they FINALLY are carrying some Tim Holtz things, for the first time in ages M's had some new products in their stamping area, so a huge positive, now for the bad.

While I was at the store yesterday they were having a regional managers meeting, about 20 or so managers were at the store. Out of the 20 managers, about 5 were women. The majority of employees for M's are women, and I am sure that many of those women are qualified to be managers, yet they have not been promoted to store managers, why? In my book that speaks volumes of a companies attitude towards women, we are customers, we are ok to be a clerk, but are not qualified to be a manager?

Here we have a store that caters largely to women crafters (and moms who need to purchase items for kids school projects), and it is run largely by men? No wonder the stores are having problems, especially if those men don't have an "ear" to the crafters market and can't let the higher up folks know what the stores need to carry.

Further, Michales seems to be behind the ball with everything, they are not a leader, they follow and one store is just like another, which drives me crazy as well.

I have made my last trip to M's, from now on will only go to my local stamp/scrap store which I LOVE and which carries amazing products! Here is their online store, and if you are in San Jose it is a must visit store (half of which is a studio).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 06:47 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

In my area of Northern NJ, we used to have Michaels, A.C. Moore, Treasure Island (now out of business) and some scattered Joann's.

Michaels has always had the highest prices of those 3 remaining stores. Their merchandise is hardly ever updated. In order to find the latest products, I must buy online.

Their employees never seem to know what the store has. That could be because the staff is constantly changing. The staff is usually not at all helpful. I have called and they have hung up on me several times or they do not know what the item is. They do not seem to have much, if any, knowledge of crafts.

My husband, who goes there armed with a list, comes home with things the staff has told me they do not carry. I show my husband what the item looks like from other online store pictures so that he knows what he is looking for.

I find their web site almost completely useless. You can NOT order online.

Add all of these things together, throw in the bad economy and it's no wonder that they are doing badly.

They are offering very few classes but that I chalk up to the economy. However, the classes I have taken in the past, were not very good.

AND, we have almost NO local srapbooking stores here, so it's either purchase online or do not purchase at all. Very sad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

my problem with Michael's is this:
Me: Hi, I'm looking for your ribbons
Employee: I'm sorry, I don't work in that department. i work in clay.
( i walk around the store to discover the ribbon is right near the clay LOL)
they also seem to mis-shelf a lot of things, like whenever there is a 'sale' sign, somehow the item is always mislabeled. more than once i have returned to the aisle and taken down the placard and brought it to the register with me, to prove it was on sale.
and they have scrapbooking nights, where you pay $25 and they supply a sizzix and two dies for you to use. seems a bit expensive to me
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

m's is no higher than j's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I know what you mean about the employees not knowing where things are!

How about when they hold those Craft Days and the demonstrator does NOT know how to operate the machine!

Or when my Michaels was on some weird "kick" when they insisted I could not use a coupon to purchase the CUTTLEBUG because they said it was a CRICUT product! Even telling them that PROVOCRAFT was the manufacturer of BOTH machines did not help. I had to find another store in order to buy it!
And some of the managers can get pretty nasty, even to my friend who is over 70! You would think they would have some respect for their elders! I guess that has gone "out of style!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

I'm reading through these posts agreeing with all of them. I get to the bottom and what do I see...Michaels ads!!! Cracks me up!!!

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Sorry for all of y'all's frustration. Been around that block with Michael's more than once (and their employees would have had me believe I was the only one with these complaints, LOL). Yet, for all of the frustration they've caused me over the years, I'd still hate for them (also) to go out of business.

Anyway, back to the original post. So, what exactly does mean? I don't read the "B" (bankruptcy) word yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseLadyView Post
not sure that Michaels will be getting much of my business anymore. The positive is that they FINALLY are carrying some Tim Holtz things, for the first time in ages M's had some new products in their stamping area, so a huge positive, now for the bad.

While I was at the store yesterday they were having a regional managers meeting, about 20 or so managers were at the store. Out of the 20 managers, about 5 were women. The majority of employees for M's are women, and I am sure that many of those women are qualified to be managers, yet they have not been promoted to store managers, why? In my book that speaks volumes of a companies attitude towards women, we are customers, we are ok to be a clerk, but are not qualified to be a manager?

Here we have a store that caters largely to women crafters (and moms who need to purchase items for kids school projects), and it is run largely by men? No wonder the stores are having problems, especially if those men don't have an "ear" to the crafters market and can't let the higher up folks know what the stores need to carry.

Further, Michales seems to be behind the ball with everything, they are not a leader, they follow and one store is just like another, which drives me crazy as well.

I have made my last trip to M's, from now on will only go to my local stamp/scrap store which I LOVE and which carries amazing products! Here is their online store, and if you are in San Jose it is a must visit store (half of which is a studio).
Good point but at the same time I don't think you can ASSUME they are discriminatory. We've all seen how the employees aren't that great, so why would they be promoted to manager?! Now, maybe their hiring practices or employee benefits don't attract good employees, that's a good possibility!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I also agree with everything being said here! What I hate the most is that the staff does not know much about anything! Sure, I've had a few kind, helpful employees help me over the years, but for the most part, they seem pretty clueless.

My "final straw" was last Spring when I was in the market to buy a soldering tool. I had seen it online through American companies, but did not want to pay the high shipping price to get it shipped to Canada. I went to M's and I asked 3 different employees if they carried this tool. I was open to any brand, and NONE of them knew what a soldering tool was! Even when I explained/described it, they all said they didn't carry anything like that. I began to browse, and quickly found a soldering gun in the "wood aisle"...you know, where the dowels, letters, frames and boxes are? Sheeesh! And one of the girls I asked worked in that section!!!

Needless to say, I DID NOT buy the tool there, as they didn't earn my business!

Also, on that same trip, I asked about the Bind-it-all...all 3 girls looked at me as though I was speaking a foreign language! LOL

I don't expect every employee to know EVERYTHING about EVERY craft product, but you'd think they'd be familiar with their own dept!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

First of all, that saddens me. Michaels is the closest store to me. There are others about 20 minutes away so it's not so bad. And on top of that, I've found Michaels prices to be comparable to Hobby Lobby, Mangelsens (local store) and Archivers (well lower than Archivers is some cases).

I must have a strange Michaels here. They are helpful, nice and go out of their way (if they don't know something) to find someone who does. Just a really nice group of men and women who work there. The manager of our store is a guy and he's very knowledgeable and even takes the time to educate the salesperson who couldn't help me on where/what it is I'm looking for. I'd hate to see that store disappear.

I don't see the B word but there may be store closings. Hopefully not mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

WOW! :-D Grandmamichelf, YOU hit the JACKPOT with your Michaels! :-D Good for you and those great employees where you shop!

Let's hope they STAY that helpful!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I hope Michaels doesn't end up like Circuit City. As long as there here though, I will continue to shop there (especially since they revamped it).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Well I'm not a bug fan of Mike's but it saddens me to see this news.This is more than a few craft supplies. These business' going under affect our lives and our economy in ways other than crafting supplies.Think of all the ppl that wil be losing employment. Employment that they probably weren't making it all that well on anyways.But with our current state, finding new employment will be next to impossible. I hate to see everything going under,even if i don't particularly care for there services. JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow -- this is VERY surprising to hear, considering they JUST opened a brand new Mike's very close to my house back in November. It's sparkly clean, very well organized, and the people there are great. We have an amazing open bead section where you are encouraged to browse and pull out a tray to create. They even have a dedicated register back there if you make something and want to cash out there. The employees have been very helpful every time I have been there, though I must admit that I seek out one of 3 that I recognize from the opening because of how well they knew the store on the first day. I do know, however, that several Mike's south of us are not nearly as nice. Guess we just got really lucky!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I have 3 Mikes close to me, one is literally on my way home from work. All have employees who are knowledgeable and helpful. I get frustrated that they don't have "everything" that I want, but I'm not aware of any place that does.
I'm grateful for the 40% off coupon, those coupons helped make my stamp room what it is today, one piece at a time.

...no matter where you are, there you are! my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #20  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

All I can say is that in comparison to our AC Moore (which is just across the parking lot from our Michaels), the Michaels inventory is less stale than AC Moore's but it still not great. It is so disappointing that they can't hire buyers/merchandisers who are more in tune with the crafting world in general (and stamping in specific). (Hello - do they send ANYONE to CHA?!?!?!?!?) They would see a lot more of me if they added things like Maya Road ribbon and embellishments, copic markers, shimmerz, flowersoft, more Ranger/Tim Holtz stuff (although they do seem to be carrying some), nestabilities, Memory Box, the newer cuttlebug stuff (seems like they are discontinuing most of the cuttlebug stuff at our local store), new stuff from Amuse (most stamps they carry are older than the hills) etc. I guess they have introduced some new things but it is sooooo few and far between that it just seems like it's all stale. Now if I can come up with a list of products in no more than 5 minutes, think of what a professional buyer/merchandiser should be able to do for them. But maybe it's like someone else said - they don't have women in the right positions (not that a man couldn't do the job, but obviously they AREN'T doing it - at least not successfully).

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jeez, ours just opened last year too! It's a nice store with helpful staff. I figured out early that their prices can be higher with some things. But still, with a coupon, it's cheaper to buy things like trimmer blades and snail adhesive refills from them than online with shipping charges.

Yeah, I know an adhesive gun is a cheaper way to go, but they are too big and heavy and bother my wrist and shoulder, since I don't work standing up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleflowersView Post
All I can say is that in comparison to our AC Moore (which is just across the parking lot from our Michaels), the Michaels inventory is less stale than AC Moore's but it still not great. It is so disappointing that they can't hire buyers/merchandisers who are more in tune with the crafting world in general (and stamping in specific). (Hello - do they send ANYONE to CHA?!?!?!?!?) They would see a lot more of me if they added things like Maya Road ribbon and embellishments, copic markers, shimmerz, flowersoft, more Ranger/Tim Holtz stuff (although they do seem to be carrying some), nestabilities, Memory Box, the newer cuttlebug stuff (seems like they are discontinuing most of the cuttlebug stuff at our local store), new stuff from Amuse (most stamps they carry are older than the hills) etc. I guess they have introduced some new things but it is sooooo few and far between that it just seems like it's all stale. Now if I can come up with a list of products in no more than 5 minutes, think of what a professional buyer/merchandiser should be able to do for them. But maybe it's like someone else said - they don't have women in the right positions (not that a man couldn't do the job, but obviously they AREN'T doing it - at least not successfully).
To be honest, I will bet that the lack of some of these products in big box stores like Mike's has less to do with them than it has to do with the makers not being able to supply a large chain. They would have to be producing in a very large quantity to be able to sell to Michael's. And it could also be that the artists behind some of these lines may not WANT to have their stuff in large box stores. A local LSS that just went out of business used to carry several lines I had not seen before. When I asked the owner about them she said she found them at CHA and the manufacturers were specifically looking for shops and not big stores because they would rather support a local merchant than a chain store. I'm thinking that there is enough blame to go around here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #23  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelisView Post
To be honest, I will bet that the lack of some of these products in big box stores like Mike's has less to do with them than it has to do with the makers not being able to supply a large chain. They would have to be producing in a very large quantity to be able to sell to Michael's. And it could also be that the artists behind some of these lines may not WANT to have their stuff in large box stores. A local LSS that just went out of business used to carry several lines I had not seen before. When I asked the owner about them she said she found them at CHA and the manufacturers were specifically looking for shops and not big stores because they would rather support a local merchant than a chain store. I'm thinking that there is enough blame to go around here.
Oh, to be sure, not everyone at CHA is going to be able to meet that demand that would be required to supply a national retailer, but just compare what Hobby Lobby or Archiver's carries in comparison to what Michaels and AC Moore carries (what I wouldn't give for one or both of those stores in my area!!!). Clearly there are some companies that can meet the demand.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

I stop in at my Michael's at least once a week - I treat it for what it is - a chain store - you will never get the same service at a chain store that you will receive at a mom-n-pop type store. I go to pick up stuff with my coupon or just a quick item I need. I am lucky enough to have two FANTASTIC LSS' near me that I visit every couple of weeks. I will say that my Mike's did just finally update it's inventory of paper and stamps and there are a number of things that I will eventually get just overtime with coupons. I have all three (Mike's, Joanns and AC Moore) and Mike's is the one I shop the most. I have had to many bad experiences at JoAnns and don't go there at all anymore. My AC Moore has super nice people working in it but Mike's has a little better supply so I go between the two.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

I am not surprised, really. I actually haven't been to one in a while, because they always seem to have the same stuff! AND...I can find it cheaper most of the time somewhere else, even with the coupon. Times are tough, and stores have to be competitive to gain and retain customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't believe I am saying this, but lately I have liked M's bettter than ACM. I have had several employees actualy walk me to the product I was looking for!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I am sad to hear this news as well. As much as I dislike shopping at Michael's at times, more often it's frustration than anything else because they don't have what I want (Martha Stewart punches).

Lately though, they've been great - even when I went to return Cricut cartridges that were bought at Thanksgiving (more than their 90 day return period), they let me return them (offered cash or store credit...I gave it all back to them with my purchases, of course, but it was nice to have the option!); they let me use a Joanns coupon on a BOOK (Joanns coupons don't have the same exclusion printed on their coupons that Michael's does...so she looked at my two coupons and said, let's use the Jo's coupon on the book to save you some money. They are also carrying 'better' product lines in terms of scrapbooking (at least for me). Of course no store can carry everything we want. But what store sends out a coupon pretty much every week so you can get SOMETHING that you want?? I feel like my local Michael's has been doing a LOT better lately and that makes me tend to spend more....even buying stuff when it's not on sale or with a coupon. I hope they keep up this level of helpful service!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We only have Michaels and Joannes for chain craft stores and I banned myself from ever going to Joannes again so that leaves Michaels. I can usually find stuff to buy and I like Michaels. I do wish they would get new stuff more often though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

This is my first time responding to a forum. I totally understand the frustration of not being able to find new things or to receive courteous help when at a chain store like Michael's. But I have come to realize that it is just a store that happens to carry cardmaking and scrapbooking supplies along with a wealth of other craft supplies. I have chosen to go the extra mile in dealing with sales clerks in a different manner, asking them to help me find the item I am searching for - not just asking if they know where it is. That way not only do I know where it is for future need - so do they. Hopefully, along the way I can be a pleasant customer to deal with. My daughter worked for Michael's during the Christmas season, with hopes it would turn into a more permanent job. She thought it would be fun, as she loves to do scrapbooking and other craft things. Her training was a day at best and even when she asked the store managers and assistants for help as to where the stock was to put on the shelf, she got no help. She was "promoted: to front end supervisor,again with very little training, she not only had to answer the phones, help cashiers with returns, become a cashier when the lines became busy, all trying to be cheerful to crabby customers who wanted to use more than one coupon when it clearly states one coupon per visit. The cashiers and store help don't make the rules and print the coupons. Alot of our unhappiness with how Michael's does thing should be expressed to the store managers and then to the corporate office. I constantly need to remind myself that my actions need to be above reproach - and I need to spread some cheerfulness instead of grumbling. Sorry for the "sermon" but I really feel we can get a little carried away with "our wants". There's so many things much more important in life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseLadyView Post

Word.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I never asked for help when I go into Mikes. I did once and the lady was soo confused! All I wanted was Fabric paint and she kept pointing me to wrong aisle. They pay min wage, they wont get the best employees. But sometimes you do get lucky. I do love their new products, I stop in once a week just to check. I know what I want when I go, so I am okay with the lack of service. Plus I always have coupons. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

I must consider myself very lucky after reading the comments in this forum. We have all three of the big box stores here. Michaels, JoAnn's and HObby Lobby. My personal fav is H.L. I must say that I recognize most of the employees, so they have been helpful whenever I need help. Actually, I should go to work at any of them. I know where almost anything you could ask about is located. Now, that is scary. I must shop too much! I always take advantage of the coupons and print them off the puter too. We don't have a lss here and I really hate that. I luv to go visit Mom and Pop shoppes when we are on vacation. They really are the best and most friendly, of course. Whenever I leave their shoppe, I always tell them I will look forward to seeing them next time I am in their area, hoping they will still be in business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

Well What can I say Micheals is not higher than any of these other stores being hit recently, but I must say I will be truely gutted if they go as they are the onlt craft store I have left near me. Joanns shelves are always bare and I always have ask are they closing coz ya just never know.

I have seen three craft stores near me go out of business and I use to use them all it has broken my heart the way things are going but what do we all give up when we pennie pinch it's our hobbies.

Needless to say I hope they get their act together and stop the store from going down as I will have to drive 30 min to get to my nearest realiable craft store.

Fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

Default Keep Mike Alive!

Quick! Everyone! Go buy something at Michael's!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 03:59 AM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Mike's may not always have what I need/want but they are close and mostly polite staff -- no LSS near me so I need my Mike's.....:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #36  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I used to agree with all the complaints but then we got the NEW redesigned Michaels. It is Sooo much better. really attractive AND the employees know their stuff! Yes! They all got training on where everything is and are so much more knowlegable now. It may not last as the employees are replaced, but good for now. I even had a gal help me the other day even tho she was on her lunch break!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Oh I hope they hold on

I love going there....

Renee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

Default Not me

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenchieView Post
It's not surprising the Michaels is hurting now. They've been fat, dumb and happy for way too long. With the sudden increase of online stores, comsumers are a lot more discriminating. Besides . . . how many have really NOT figured out that Michaels prices are seriously inflated to accomodate the coupon discounts? They banked on people walking in the store . . . using their coupon BUT purchasing other items at the inflated prices. Did they really think we're all THAT stupid? In reality . . . how many actually bought into that scam? I for one never did.
I go in and buy one thing that I have a coupon for, then out the door. BUT, I don't know about other areas, but at our Michaels, I have noticed a lot of things from a dollar to more LESS than our AC Moore; however, Hobby Lobby is less than either one of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I know some people have had bad experiences at Michaels. But compared to the selection you can get at Wal*mart, which is the only store near me. Wow, just to have choices would be wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

Hobby Lobby just opened up by me. I live in a suburb of Detroit, and they built it right across from a Michaels..YIKES..I mean right across the street. That Micheals is only 1 1/2 old too....
M's is not consistent with their employee's either. One day I go and use a coupon and then go back that night or the next day and the lady tells me she cant do the coupons...YIKES...

My blog @
www.kreationsbykrissy.com

TIMMY HO
Reply With Quote Likes