Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-01-2005, 02:00 PM   #1  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Serious Stampin' Help!(Sorry LONG)

First let me say that I am by no means asking this to get people to tell me my cards are fine.Maybe I'm just having a big pity party.But I am very serious.

I am really getting depressed and frustrated by my cards. They look good to me until I post them and then I can really see what everyone else sees. They are just not very good.

I know there was a thread not to long ago where everyone posted their first cards and then there was a post just for newbies. The cards in "My First Card" thread were all pretty darn good. The newbie thread was also good.

I guess what I am asking is did any of you at any point feel like giving up?

I have started entering challanges to try and get practice but there has been a couple of times I have just wanted to delete my cards.

I also have been looking at the tutorials and trying them. I know that I need to build up my SU cardstock and embellishments so things will be more color coordinated so maybe that would help.

I have all my stamp pads and all the markers,watercolor pencils and pastels but I feel like they are just going to waste because I really do not know what I am doing.

This is where all of you "awesome stampers" can help me.

I want to start uploading some more cards in the next week or so. I would really like for you to look at them then give me suggestions. Tell me what you really do like but then tell me what I could do to be better.

I really want you to do this. It will not hurt my feelings. I think I need this kind of help before I just give up and sell or give away everything I have.

My first suggestion to myself is spend way less time running my mouth and more time in the gallery learning to make better cards.

Sorry to rattle on and on but I really would like all the help and suggetsions you can give me.

I trust all of you who have been doing this for awhile to help me get better. You are an awesome bunch of people and i don't pour my heart out to just anyone.

Thanks,
Granny

Last edited by Granny Hawkins; 06-01-2005 at 02:04 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Well, Granny, first of all your cards are great! I loved the flamingo card with the rope today - so, so cute!!! I know what you mean though. I have some cards in my gallery that I think are awful and others I love. I go to the gallery multiple times a day just to be inspired and get the creative juices flowing. I also love the SU! inspiration sheets because they have great ideas that are very easy. I often use the basic idea on a sheet, but use a completely different stamp set and that makes the card feel different right away.

With your watercolor pencils and markers, try this:
I just stamped a bunch of different images on a plain white piece of cardstock one day, sat down in front of the TV, and started using the markers and watercolors. I just used it for practice, but I kept the piece of paper for both inspiration and use on cards. I ended up using the leaves I had painted on my Father's Day cards. It was a nice way to get used to doing something without committing it to a card.

I also tried a OSW (those are the cards in my gallery I don't like!) and used really bright colors on white cardstock just so I could practice and see the layout of the design better.

I shouldn't give any more advice than that, because I don't have half the talent that most of the people on this board do. But I get a creative boost from SCS every day!

Don't stop "running your mouth" in the forums though! I'd miss your humor and wisdom!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 02:31 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I agree totally with Jacqueline. You've got some really nice cards in your gallery and have gotten quite a few nice comments. I happen to have one of your cards in my favorites. I put it in there before you posted this thread. I love it! I think everyone makes cards that they don't really care for. That's OK. Sometimes I think we struggle with cards and end up hating them when we're finished because we had such a hard time with them. I think you're very brave to ask for such honest feedback. Please keep posting your cards and comments. I'm not a great stamper, but it's wonderful therapy and I enjoy it immensely. That's reason enough for all of us!
Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Granny, I think your cards are great! I am in the same boat, I'll make one and think "Ooooh, that turned out so cool!" then I'll post it on here, and sometimes it's just that a photo/scan of the card doesn't do it justice. Sometimes the card just stinks. Sometimes it's fine until you get it in the gallery next to all of the girls who totally rock your world with EVERY card!

It's worse when you think something's good and it gets no, or 1 or 2 comments, but a whole bunch of views! It gets you thinking "wow, could they not find anything nice to say about my card?". That's why I try to comment on every card I look at, unless the gallery is running really really slow.

I justify my insecurity because I haven't been stamping/cardmaking that long (only about 8 months), and I do it for my own enjoyment anyway. If someone doesn't like what I worked so hard on, screw'em. (That's what MY Grams says, so it's okay to post that, right?!)

Chin up Granny... I like your things! Keep 'em comin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 02:43 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

Default Your cards look great

I just looked at your gallery and think your cards look terrific. Who are you comparing yourself to anyway?
I alway chuckle when I think of a hand marde card that I saw in a magazine a couple of years ago. It was an image of a car (have never seen this stamp) with the trunk open with a red gem shaped like a heart in the trunk and the greeting was "Once Again Ruby takes her heart to Town" which is a play of words on an old song.
At some point, I realized that this stamper/artist had to have spent days or weeks making this card.
What exactly do we want for the cards we make anyway? To cheer someone's day? To touch a heart? To acknowledge a milestone?
I have learned a lot from other stampers, but I am still me and I want my cards to make someone happy - period.
Just my two cents. ~Nancy~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Default I just looked at the cards in your gallery

and there isn't one that I don't like. Maybe you haven't posted your ugly cards... ;-) I noticed someone else in this thread mentioned that they notice a lot of views and not many comments (or any sometimes). I am new here and haven't really taken the time to comment on any cards..but if I took the time to comment on every card I liked I'd never move from this chair! So, a lot of views and no comments doesn't necessarily mean that the card isn't liked!

Keep up the good work!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Default Keep trying

As a new kid I don't know how much my advice is worth ... but I do think it's important for us to remember that this is not like some crafts where there is a "right" way to do things (like hot glueing seashells onto a lamp!!) LOL. I think this is an art, and art is a process. If there are pieces of a card that you like, then copy them & adapt them for other cards - CASE yourself, essentially!. I'm all about trial & error. If you don't like it, it's just paper! Try something else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think your cards are fantastic, but I understand what you are going thru. I think it's normal to be too critical of your own work.

I am only as strong as the coffee I drink, the hairspray I use and the friends I have.

If you can't get rid of the skeleton in the closet you might as well take it out and let it dance.
George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 03:07 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Granny,
There's nothing wrong with your cards! The style you use is straight forward and I like it. I think sometimes we see these cards with lots of layering and embellishments and think it's us with an issue! Don't you believe it! That's probably what you think your missing. Everyone makes cards that they are not happy with. I've posted some, and they are the one's I get comments on. Like I said, everyone has their own style, and I like yours!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 03:09 PM   #10  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Thank you but please,please again know I did not post this just to hear that my cards are good. I know I have so far to go and so much room to grow and I really do want the "old timers" and everyone in general(even newbies have a good eye)to help me with any feedback necessary to make me better. I just do not know how to help myself.My demo is a wonderful person and I love her to death but I really don't get to spend any one on one time with her being able just to help me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Granny, I sent you a PM. One of the things I like to do it "pick apart" cards (mine and other people's) and try to figure out what could be changed. For me it's a growth experience. The problem is that when I pick apart a nice card like that I end up sounding b*tchy and I don't want to do that here in public
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

You know, I think it is totally normal to feel this way. I hate all the cards I do but love other peoples cards. I love the ones you have posted. I think we are always our own worst critics. I have posted several cards and then deleted them later. You are totally normal in feeling how you feel and if you aren't normal, well then I am strange right along with you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my first question is - are your glasses new or old????? LOL !!

On a serious note - I can't imagine why you think that your in a stamping slump. I reviewed your gallery and there is absolutely nothing wrong with your work. I really like your In Full Bloom cards and the one where you did the i love you, your flamingo is adorable etc., etc. Now I know that you did not post to receive praise but I am being very honest.

I think you have the same problem that I do - A serious lack of self confidence and a huge self criticism streak (I have only posted 4 cards - someday there may be more). I usually know when I have done something well and that doesn't happen all that often. But I do share everything I do with friends and co-workers and I can tell when they are giving me honest feedback.

There are some people on this site that are incredible talents but we need to compare ourselves to the level that we fit best and not get down on ourselves for not achieving their acclaims.

When I feel I'm in a slump here is what I do. I view the gallery to get ideas. The cards that really pop out at me I study for a long time. I check out placement, color, details. I then really "see" what it is that caught my attention first. I don't save the card nor do I print it. I will go to my stamping room and create a card using the elements that I liked best with the inspiration card. When I have completed my creation I go back to the gallery and make comparisons. I discover that I may have used the same stamp set or layout or color but never have I used all of it and I find that I have made my own creation. Now I don't think this method is something new for you because when looking at your gallery you have unique creations that I'm sure were just yours.

Even though it is and unwritten agreement among stampers to case any card, I like to think that my work belongs to me and not someone else. That is why I do it this way - I'm always hoping for a masterpiece !! It is very clear to me that your work "belongs" to you too and you just need to feel comfortable with being proud of it. Hard I know but someone has to do it !!

I hope that something I have said can be helpful to you but honestly, you do very nice work. Now if you thought your post was long - :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #14  
Goober-E LOST-E

I know you didn't start this to hear it, but...

YOUR CARDS ARE GREAT!

I just browsed your gallery - so I know what I'm talking about! ;)

I think you need to stop being hard on yourself. It's supposed to be a fun hobby. If it's not fun, step away for a little while.
As DH says when I'm annoyed that a project isn't coming out the way I want -
"Sometimes the muse is with you and sometimes she's not."
We joke that she must be on some fab vacation on a beach instead of helping me be creative!!!

It's as simple as that. Sometimes I'm feeling creative and sometimes I need to focus on something else.

Don't fret. Just stamp, layer, emboss, embellish, color, see what you come up with, have fun and post it for us to see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

there are times when I am unsure of my work and I dont want to think about posting it or showing anyone. Then someone will tell me they love what I did. Who knew.

There are times it is good to take a break from something in order to fall in love with it again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I think what has helped for me is to figure out what my personal style is and concentrate on improving that style. i.e. when I do a sketch challenge I still usually stay true to my own style while using the layout. look at your favorites and see if there is a style fairly consistant in there. then try out different techniques still staying true to your own style. You will be happier with your work if you get comfortable "in your own skin" first and then branch out to try other styles. I do a lousy job at some styles, but I know many people who are awesome at them and I very much appreciate their talent and creativity. that being said, we all go through our dry periods I think I have uploaded 1 card in the last couple of weeks because I'm not coming up with anything. the creativity has dried up for the moment, but I know it will return at some point. good luck! Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 03:50 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think your cards are great! When I feel like that I call it a "creative rut" so I stop, and pick it up again another day. I thought my early day cards were great, now I look back and say-Oh! my god I can't believe I gave those to some poor soul. I stamped for a year and a half before I would enter a swap or post one! Keep up the awesome work!

Lauren
www.laurenkauppila.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 03:51 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Granny, your cards are wonderful. I like how you did your panels on the fly fishing card. I've never done that. I'm going to steal your idea. Your colors all go together and there's no big mistakes or smudges on your cards. I had a friend and her cards were awful. Really awful! Yours are beautiful.

How long have you been stamping? I noticed that you joined the board in Jan.; yet you already have over 2,000 posts! Holy cow! I'm a lurker...

We all get into slumps. And it takes time to learn new techniques. Rome wasn't built in a day. Plus what you just went through... Do I dare say you might be a little depressed and you're taking it out on your cards? I do that.

Do you feel like your cards are too simplistic? They're fine the way they are. If you're looking to venture out, do a OSW. I did one where I did all postmarks and travel stamps and then pasted postage stamps onto it with mini keys and other embellishments. Other days I do simple cards.

Now look at what you made me do. I'm posting my 1st photo on the board. It took me 1/2 an hour to figure out the image sizing. I think I'll go back to lurking now...

I have nothing better to do since I haven't received my SS info yet.
Attached Thumbnails
I Need Serious Stampin' Help!(Sorry LONG)-one-sheet-wonder-travel-a2.jpg  

Was he talking about stamping?

See my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 03:54 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I know what you mean tho, I all the time see gorgeous creations that I envy. When I try to recreate them it just looks forced and unnatural. I just have to accept that my style is what it is! And yours is what it is! And it is all good!

Splitcoast member #803
My Gallery
Read my LATEST STORY on OurEcho.com
http://www.ourecho.com/biography-200...rie-Hyle.shtml
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Granny!

I know how you feel. When I first started posting I posted a few cards and then I went and checked out all of the "famous girls" galleries and I felt like POOP LOL So I didn't post much for a while. But then I kind of figured out my style and am more comfortable creating and posting something I actually like.

Also, one thing that really helped me was allowing myself to CASE some cards! As I did that I figured out things that they did that I really liked and began to figure out how to do this stampin' thing lol. After I had cased some cards for some weeks I realized I was CASeing less and less and coming up with my own stuff more and more often. So maybe that is something you can try.

Sometimes I upload a couple of cards at a time and I am just shocked at which ones get more comments. I recently uploaded a few cards and there was one I thought FOR SURE would get more comments then the one I thought was "okay". The one I thought was really good got a few comments and the one I thought was "okay" got waayyyyy more LOL. So it just goes to show that sometimes we see something different than other people do in our cards.

My work and the card sketches
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Don't compare apples and oranges. Most of us are apples, some of us are oranges (like the dirty dozen). A lot of the more artistic and creative stampers here have been published. To expect to be at their level would be like writing a newpaper article right this minute, with no journalistic training, and expecting it to sound like a featured writer. When I have trouble, I browse the gallery and find a card I like and can case. Then I case it. The more I do it, the more the technique and/or layout becomes natural to me. I have cards in my favorites because of layout or color or whatever, not always because the actual card itself appeals to me. I try to look at other cards and see my stamp sets in their place. I try to pick images of equal size to the ones on the cards I like and replace them. I also like to stamp with other people. You can get input and ideas as you go along. VERY HELPFUL! I also realize that some of the WOW cards are very time consuming and I'm not willing to spend that much time working on ONE card. Like another person posted...what's your purpose in making your card? To impress someone or make them happy? Another thing you can do is take classes at a local stamp store. Now, that said, I'm going to go browse your gallery!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

No more pity party for you! Your cards are good. In fact, I saw a couple I'm gonna come back and case. Everyone has their bad ones and everyone is supercritical of themselves. Cut yourself some slack and remember this is supposed to be FUN. Even if your cards were the worst ever, who cares if you're having fun.

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Oh, Granny...don't stress! We are all here to grow and learn as stampers! I mean I'd LOVE to be a LisaLisa or a LunarLana, but I'm just an arcopes! Try new things, reach outside your comfort zone...I get stuck in major ruts, and when that happens I may spend hours in a gallery just looking. One thing that has really improved the look of my cards is BACKGROUND STAMPS! When I was just starting, I used to think...$17 bucks for one stamp, NEVER! It really does make all the difference in the world!

Have fun, Granny!!!! And when you go to Texas, learn from those two redheads...THEY ROCK!

Hugs,
Alison

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Talking What are you talking about?

Granny, I really don't know what you would see wrong with your cards! In fact, I am new here and I now am feeling like I should not like my cards, (because they are no where near as beautiful as yours).

I think they all look great, and we all have to remember, these are handmade, one of a kind creations, made out of love and not some mass produced cards, or contest material.

Keep on stamping and trying new things. I can't wait to see what you'll do next. I saw that I love U tic tac toe stamp at Michaels and now wish I had bought it. Love that card.

PS, Don't look at my gallery

Leslie J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Granny Hawkins, are you reading the comments left for you by other stampers? Read them. Your cards are very nice! I've been trying to think how to use one of your ideas without completely casing your card! LOL!!

I do believe that embellishments give cards that extra "pow" that some cards need. Some embellishments don't show up well like glitter, holographic EP, etc. And sometimes a scan doesn't do a card justice. You can't tell that there is a bit of shine to a piece of paper or that something is embossed to give it that extra little touch. I generally tend to like most of my cards IRL instead of scanned.

To help you build up your collection, get a bunch of other SU! fiends, uh I mean friends, to go in together and do a big ribbon buy. Each of you buys 5 spools of ribbon and divide it between yourselves. If you can't do that buy the white organdy ribbons because you can run those across your stamp pads to make custom colored ribbons!

Just keep stampin' and postin'!

Docorate of De-Edumacation, Lawd, How Cum granted by Rainsong

"What's life if not doing things for other people?" Martin Gray

Eesay ymay allerygay !

ymay amperedpay efchay usinessbay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wink

Granny,

I think your cards are great. I have many of them saved in my favorites. Especially the "In Full Bloom" ones. I love that set. My sister (who is not a stamper at all) was checking out the site to give me an idea of what she wants her Christmas cards to look like this year and one of them was your "silent tree".
You have fans where you never expected!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 04:48 PM   #27  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

I think I may just be down in the dumps because I don't really know how to use the things I have,

I do want to get some background stamps. that would help me alot.

I just don't know how to make my watercolors look good.(blending and shading) I don't know if I am doing my wax paper resist right.I don't know how to chalk. I have all this wonderful stuff and don't know how to use any of it right.

I did a great card with cotton balls,alcohol and re-inkers at a Stampers 10 but I haven't been able to do it by myself.

I need to talk my demo into a Saturday she could give me lessons on "how to".

I have plenty of self confidence in other parts of my life. I love my scrapbooks and I love stampin'.

I just need to spend some quality time in the gallery and if I really like something I am sure I could pm the person who created it and get a pm lesson. If my over 2000 posts since January had been in the gallery and not the forums I probably wouldn't be having this problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins
I do want to get some background stamps. that would help me alot.
Remember that every small stamp is a background stamp... you just have to stamp it over and over again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 04:58 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Granny,

I just went to your gallery and your cards are terrific. I really love silent Christmas & fashion birthday! I think alot of us feel the way you do. Especially when we go online to SCS and stampers showcase and see all the wonderful cards.

Please don't think about quiting! If you quit then I need to quit too, because mine aren't as good as yours are.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 05:05 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Hi Granny,

You are not alone! I have more cards in the trash than in my gallery! Sometimes it really helps to case someones card. When I do that I usually end up with an idea for one of my own. BTW, you have 25 comments on one of your cards. Thats more than I have on all of mine put together! (Not whining, just the way it is!) ( Even though I only have a few, because I work all the time, way to much.)
BUT, I love making cards and learning what others do. I love to buy the stamps, ink and whatever!
SO..... Be happy with yourself, the more you create the better you create!
Just enjoy what your doing or it isn't worth doing, and your doing really well!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Granny,
You have some beautiful cards in your gallery. I know how you feel. There are some ladies here who have unbelievable talent. Somedays, I think there is no way I will come close to what they do on a bad day. But, I think it has a lot to do with confidence and practice. I give you credit for putting cards in your gallery. One it shows your talent and also shows that you are willing to learn and try new things. I have yet to get the confidence to do that. I make tons of cards, but still to scared to share them. So, don't worry so much and just keep creating. You are doing a great job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 05:39 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, Granny. Now I've gone and looked at your gallery and don't know what the heck you are complaining about! Your cards are fantastic. I would have never known or noticed you didn't have background stamps or other embellishments because your cards are fine the way they are. If you want to learn how to watercolor and such for "proper" blending techniques, you should enroll in a class at a stamp store or have your demo teach it to you. I have trouble with that myself but have yet to part with my $$ for a class. I keep wanting to buy stamps instead. Anyway, keep posting! We are enjoying what you have so far!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamp'n In The Light

Received 277 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Ummm, what's wrong with your cards??????

Granny, I just went in your gallery and I don't see anything wrong with your cards either. In fact, I'm going to case a couple myself when my IFB set gets here and use my flamingo set. Now, as for feeling like they're not good: I'm my own worst critic!! In fact, I think most of us are. Plus you've been through one heck of an emotional roller coaster the last month too. You may not feel like it, but you're probably emotionally worn out. Been there done that and didn't admit it to myself then either. Take AndreaSophie's suggestion, CASE some cards for awhile to get your confidence back and relax while doing it. If you start getting frustrated with what you're working on, walk away for awhile. Get a cup of coffee, tea, whatever makes you feel pampered, and then go back when you're done. Just coloring sometimes with regular color pencils and nothing fancy works for me. As for not being able to use chalks, if you've got versamark, stamp it and wipe some chalk over it. You'll create something wonderful and it's too stinkin easy. And when, all else fails, come talk to us.

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 06:12 PM   #34  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I'll give you my advice, for what it's worth:

First, I have been stamping since 1996...I've had a LOOONNGGG time to practice. My first cards...eh, LOL! It took me a while to get to where I am and I'm not done yet!

I think there are a couple of points for improving your cards:

First, you have a tendency to make things symmetrical. Most successful card designs use a grid system that divides the front of the card in thirds from top to bottom and side to side. Place your focal image at the intersection of one of those division lines and it will "pop". Your focal image can either be the words OR the image. Some of your cards you give equal billing to both.

As far as watercoloring goes, here are my tips. I have a degree in art and my emphasis was in watercolor, so I guess you can say I'm an "expert":

Don't color things in solidly. Succesful watercolor leaves some white areas...this is called "Saved White Space". It is what makes your images look alive rather than flat. Even a few little white specks can really make a difference.

Don't always shade with a similar darker color...i.e. don't always assume that when you are painting something orange, you use a darker shade of orange to shade (brown can be considered a shade of orange). Instead, use the color opposite the base tone on the color wheel to do your shading. It can really make your image look more lively and helps the areas that aren't shaded pop. So if I have an orange flower, I could use blue to shade it. YOu can also use the colors on either side of the opposite to shade, so either green or purple will work too, depending on what other colors of cardstock you are using.

When painting the shading, the hatching on the fine line images usually guide you in placing your shadows, but if there are no cross-hatchings, you have to choose the direction the light is coming from. Shade the side that is on the other side of shapes that are concave, the same side for convex shapes (like flower petals).

Don't be tight with your coloring. Going outside the lines is okay and helps give that watercolor look.

Otherwise, basic color theory: cold colors recede, warm colors come forward. Lighter colors come forward, darker colors recede. The focal point of your card should have the greatest point of contrast...that's what will draw the eye there. So the lightest light and the darkest dark shade would be right next to each other.

My other tip is, spend some time away from the gallery. I find looking at too many samples really kills my creativity...I start second guessing myself. I did enjoy looking at yours, though!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 06:28 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

I'm new to the forums area of the site, I have nosed around in the gallery and love the different designs and tips. For what its worth I think your cards are great and really inspiring. I really love the cards done with the In Full Bloom stamp set. Anyways, keep up the great work

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 06:37 PM   #36  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thumbs up What JanTink Said!

Hi Granny!

I read all the posts and checked out your gallery. I love your cards! I think they're very pleasing to the eye and your color choices are great.

I've been stamping since 1989, but unlike JanTink, I'm no art expert. As a matter of fact, I glean all the info I can from her posts! ;)

My suggestion? Pick a product that you want to master, then practice, practice, practice. Find a few ideas on the 'net that give great direction. I started with pastels because they gave a great watercolored look. Then I worked up to watercolor pencils and used a blender pen. Now I love, love, love to watercolor with the real "cakes" and an aqua painter. We all progress at different stages.

I will tell you that the ONE biggest help to me was the Technique Junkie Newsletter by Pat Huntoon. It totally took my stamping from ordinary to out of the box and just whet my appetite for more learning, more techniques, more everything! But not just to totally go crazy but to find the ways to stamp that I enjoy and that help me express myself through my stamping. I highly recommend this newsletter over most of the books you'll find in the local stamp stores. BTW, the address is www.techniquejunkies.com. One benefit of getting the newsletter is that you can then join the yahoo group (of the same name). There you can ask questions and get help on ideas, products, etc. I love SCS but know from personal experience that sometimes a smaller group is easier to maneuver in.

And just as an aside, if you look at my gallery www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/suthnheart , you'll see some of my early work. Compare that to the work I did when I was on the Design Team here. I stamped the same way for years! Years and years and years! Once I started giving myself permission to make mistakes, throw away paper, not save every scrap, and not feel guilty if I messed up my products, I came out of my box!

This may be a lot more than you wanted, but I just felt like I had to respond to your plea for "help". Your post reminded me of me when I first came to SCS. I saw some beautiful things posted, asked a few questions, but then started stamping!

I hope to see more work in your gallery soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 07:14 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Bend over so I can kick your butt! Your cards look great and I especially like the one where you used 'love' as the stem on the flowers. I have been stamping for 7 years and your stuff is waaaay better than mine was at your stamping age lol.

Nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 07:36 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Granny,
I think we are all our own worst critic. I think your cards are great, but I know sometimes that doesn't mean a lot if you don't believe it yourself. What fun would it be if you felt you had every technique down pat? None! You would have nothing left to learn!

Anyone you send your cards to would be extremely grateful to have received something so beautiful... Remember, you are stamping to make someone else's day (and burn some creative juices).... Not to compete with your SCS sisters! (Although if it were a competition, I will be honest and say you would be one of my top finalists as far as galleries go... right up there with my other fave - Emily. You are the only two who have just by the beauty of your cards convinced me to order a set that I didn't think I needed... And I put that in a comment on one of your cards BEFORE you started this thread!!!).

Whatever you do, DON'T STOP STAMPING!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 08:27 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

I think Granny's just fallen off her rocker! ;) Seriously, your stuff is great!! I know how you feel, though. Sorry I'm no help....I'm glad others are giving you what you're looking for in help.

Love ya!
Leslie

P.S.--what's the story about Texas? Where ya going? I'm on the Coast.
Click here for the scoop!
My itty bitty GALLERY. Comment, please!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2005, 08:31 PM   #40  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have learned almost all I know from this site and stamping yahoo groups. I learned by CASE'ing. I would pick out cards I liked and then copy them. Usually once I got started I was able to change a thing here and there and then just use small elements and make things I liked myself. I agree with what everyone else has said, your stuff is great. You said having the cs would help, and that is true. I started stamping with SU and that's always been a huge help to me to have everything match.

You mentioned background stamps. I just started getting a few and they add so much with little effort! I love love the aquapainters as well. Background stamps and aquapainters are easy to use and really add to a card. I am not a technique person. I don't care for the time it takes to do techniques. I can't really help with that. I use ink pads, markers and aquapainters. I hightly recommend Canvas for a first background stamp. It doesn't have to be straight, it matches everything, and it's ok if you don't stamp evenly and there are gaps.

I think your idea of spending time in the gallery is the right idea. I print my favorites (just highlight the thumbnail size pics and print them) and then use those at my stamp table and copy them or combine a few different ones that I like and make it.

I hope I helped in some way!

edited to add:
Oh, I also know I am my own worst critic. I can't tell you how many times I make something that I think is complete crap and then it will be loved by so many others. Don't be so hard on yourself!!

Reply With Quote Likes