Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-20-2006, 08:34 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Smile I made monograms stamps!!!!!

Ok I am tooo excited.. I REALLY want to SU monograms BUT didnt want to spend $400.. and I wanted to get some to play with.. I liked the idea of using them with scrapbook paint.. I purchased stamp foam from Sizzix when it was 60% off a few weeks ago with the intention on turing my sizzix dies into foam stamps.. anyway I was at Michaels and noticed they had 4-5 inch wooden monogram letters.. I purchased the alphabet and traced them onto the foam and mounted them and OH IT WORKED SO GREAT!!!! I love the look.. i was prepared for the worst but figured the alpha is like $50 and the foam was $3..its worth the try..if it didnt work I could use the wood alpha for tracing on chipboard.. I love it.. NOW- I still think the SU set is the best.. the rubber is cleaner with ink..but at least I can play and monogram and they wash up with water beautifully.. I tried it with ink and got a great look as well...I also purchased the lower case 3-4 inch monograms at archivers and they work well with the upper that I got at Michaels..(but lil davis only makes 14 letters for the lower case set..-seems odd but its true) They also had 8 inch letters.. I think that would be so great on a scrap page.. I know this may not seem like the greatest achievement to some but to me it was such a fun thing.. Saved me $400 and took the pressure off of wondering if they will keept he monogram after May or not.. And the Michals letters are solid wood so they are very sturdy.. I am off to play!!! I must pat myself on the back.. I love the foam from sizzix but would also love other stamping material.. will keep on the lookout..

Last edited by vlasak; 03-20-2006 at 08:55 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

You are one very clever lady! Besides costing less money, you now have stamps that are unique, just a little different from anyone else.
John 3:16
Old 03-21-2006, 03:37 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

post some work, I'd love to see what you do with them!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 03-21-2006, 04:24 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

Now just how clever this this, I try to stay away from foam stamps but how great would it be to have all the monograms (which I have no intent of buying - and I'm an alphaholic). Very very creative.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:32 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Smile

I really didnt do foam stamps either..until I tried the sizzix foam.. its is thinner and it leaves such a crisp image.. And since they letters are mounted on wwod its sooo sturdy..If I can figure out how to attatch on this site I will send some samples.. I have been working and working.. didnt even sleep much last night- the wheel swere turning.. I am now on a quest for the 8 inch letters.. I keep thinking how great they will look on a scrap page..
Old 03-21-2006, 05:38 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

How cool! I would love to try this, but I'm confused. What did you mount the letters on? Back onto the wooden letter? Please help!
Old 03-21-2006, 05:51 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

really interest in what you mounted them on --
Old 03-21-2006, 06:00 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Question

Where did you get the Sizzix foam? Thanks.

Dina
Old 03-21-2006, 06:29 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I've made small shape stamps out of plain craft foam on occasion and I just never thought to take it to the "next" level. WOW! Great Idea! Very handy tip that the sizzix foam leaves a nice impression. I'll certainly be scouting around for it now. TFS!

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Old 03-21-2006, 06:39 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Smile

I got the foam from the Misc. section at sizzix.com.. they are notorious for having 40-60% off sales so I stocked up..but its fairly cheap no matter when you buy it.. there may be other foams out there I just stumbled on this kind and I like that its not thick and bulky so it makes a crisp image... I mounted it back on the wooden letter.. I thought about the acrylic mounts that I got from sizzix as well but since the foam is not thick it would be hard not to rock the mount and ink up the sides..soooo I mounted it on the letter- its very sturdy and it fits great.. Also takes us a small area to store.. (my origioanl plan was to use the foam to cut my sizzix dies out with in the sizzix machine and mount the sizzix image on the acrylic to make a stamp.. thats why they sell it..- but I got side-tracked) I also tried this microwave to take the foam off and it worked well.. so if you mis-mount them or need to recut the foam in the future it comes off after a few seconds in the micro.. I love the size.. the letters are more collegiate than SU- and are thicker in width so they are nice and bold.. One thing I did alteris instead of tracing and them cutting I lay the foam upside down then cut around with my craft knife.. it cuts so great and its a fster process.. when I mount the 8 inch letters I will for sure use this method.. And since the letters are already selaed with glass paint they washed up great with just water and then I patted dry and still this morning they look awesome.. Just be usre to lay it out because like any letters they can be cut backwards.. ( I made a boo boo with J and had to recut- thats how I know the microwave works.. )
Old 03-21-2006, 06:43 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperRapt
I've made small shape stamps out of plain craft foam on occasion and I just never thought to take it to the "next" level. WOW! Great Idea! Very handy tip that the sizzix foam leaves a nice impression. I'll certainly be scouting around for it now. TFS!

Annette
http://stamponthis.com

Yes the sizzix foam is about the thickness of craft foam but a bit more pourous so the image was cleaner beacuse it kept the ink.. I would think the craft foam would be more slick than the sizzix foam.... I have not used the craft foam but a great idea to have my son to cut out the sizzix dies he wanted to make stamps out of from this foan.. this way its a bit cheaper and he can mount more that just a few..the acrylic mounts sizzix sells are great for this..they have a great handle type ridge so they are easy to hang onto.. Great idea..
Old 03-21-2006, 07:37 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I decided not to get any monograms also.
I am just waiting for my cricut machine to arrive, it should be here in about 2 weeks!! yeah!

I will be able to cut out any letter from 1" to 5 1/2". I can stamp on paper and then cut it out or just use a color paper. I think it will still give me a great look and I spent less than $400 plus this way I will have so many other options than just monograms.