Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:02 PM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickers089 View Post
I'm not gonna flame, but I don't really think anyone was saying that. I certainly hope I didn't come across as saying that. I think that sometimes someone may upload a card because they just loved what they did and want to share and I AGREE that the info is nice, but if I like a card I will comment on it info or not. Now the key is getting off of these darn forums to look at the gallery.
I won't say that I absolutely will not comment on a card with no info- but if someone WANTS comments then they should provide the basic info.

Last edited by avonlea; 10-16-2007 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: as per TOS; calling out another member by name is not necessary.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #42
Polyshrink Goddess

To the OP, I completely agree with you. It's so very helpful (and appreciated!) when those who upload take an additional 30 seconds to type the recipe. So many times I see a card that I love, but can't remember the name of the set/image that was used. I am much more inclined to leave a comment about the card, simply out of gratefulness when that particular info is supplied.

As for including links to blogs for more detailed info, I appreciate this as well! As a homeschooling mother of four, sometimes I don't always have a lot of time to go from link to link to link, but if the basic info on the card is supplied, I can just bookmark the blog and it's still all good! If I like the card enough to open it and leave a comment, then you can bet I'll be looking forward to perusing your blog later when I get the time as well!

To those who refuse to take 30 seconds to leave a recipe, and I say this with the UTMOST respect... I find it ironic when you say that you can't take the time to leave a recipe for your card, but yet you expect others to take their time to comment on it? It seems like a little equal give and take would benefit everyone, all around. Thirty seconds is thirty seconds... whether it's recipe information, or a compliment. KWIM? RESPECTFULLY, of course! Anyhoo, just my .02 cents.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:16 PM   #43
Stampin' Fool

I don't have a blog, so I always include the deets on each item in my (admittedly new and small) gallery. I suppose in lieu of inviting people to see my nonexistent blog, I could invite them over to my house; but that would be... weird.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #44
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!

We actually have a great discussion of this topic in a "sticky" thread, right here:
"Splitcoast Needs Your Help"
Reading the thread will enable everyone to better understand the SCS viewpoint on the topic of gallery information. Hopefully this will help.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #45
Die Cut Diva

I like the recipes here also. Where I work, blogs are blocked. Apprecaite your thoughtfulness in providing them here on SCS.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #46
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryLC05 View Post
I feel like if you have time to upload a photo (that takes the most time out of the whole process IMO) then you can leave basic information about the card. You don't even HAVE to write the info down because you can see a thumbnail of your card as you type. You don't have to write paragraphs and tell us your life story- but if you could PLEASE put what stamps you used and the colors, etc. more people would benefit from your uploaded card.

If you are only uploading your cards only to see how many comments and opinions you receive- then shame on you! This is a sharing site- and people should upload to SHARE information (such as cs colors stamps, etc.) not to feed your ego. (I will probably get flamed for this- but I stand by my principle on this one....) Most people come to this site to get ideas- if you want people to comment on your cards then share your ideas- even if it is as simple as colors and stamps (or even the stamp companies for crying out loud!) then put a very basic recipe in your description. It doesn't take but 30 second longer.

Ok. I am done ranting now!

Sherry, why do you not consider sharing a photo as sharing? It seems to me that many people who borrow ideas from others do make an exact copy anyway, so what's wrong with sharing just the photo, which is an idea.

Should people draw a page map for the layout too? How much information constitutes sharing and how little is just asking for comments?

I personally share pictures because I also like to look at other people's work too.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:13 PM   #47
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnlnkids View Post
To the OP, I completely agree with you. It's so very helpful (and appreciated!) when those who upload take an additional 30 seconds to type the recipe. So many times I see a card that I love, but can't remember the name of the set/image that was used. I am much more inclined to leave a comment about the card, simply out of gratefulness when that particular info is supplied.

As for including links to blogs for more detailed info, I appreciate this as well! As a homeschooling mother of four, sometimes I don't always have a lot of time to go from link to link to link, but if the basic info on the card is supplied, I can just bookmark the blog and it's still all good! If I like the card enough to open it and leave a comment, then you can bet I'll be looking forward to perusing your blog later when I get the time as well!

To those who refuse to take 30 seconds to leave a recipe, and I say this with the UTMOST respect... I find it ironic when you say that you can't take the time to leave a recipe for your card, but yet you expect others to take their time to comment on it? It seems like a little equal give and take would benefit everyone, all around. Thirty seconds is thirty seconds... whether it's recipe information, or a compliment. KWIM? RESPECTFULLY, of course! Anyhoo, just my .02 cents.
My point is that I did take the time to scan and crop my photos. Then I uploaded them. It would take me forever (not literally) to figure out where/what items I used. Then, as far as pp, I have no idea if it's wild asparagus, SU, dcwv or what. I often use scraps of cardstock. I don't know if that scrap was perfect plum by SU or some purple by Bazzill. I take my embellishments out of their original packaging to save space. I don't know where I got those metal charms from.

I did take the time to share a photo. I just think it's nice to leave a comment when someone "favorites" a card. That's all. I think that is a little give and take.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #48
Die Cut Diva

I want to thank everyone for the nice comments that have been said about my cards.

I have to be honest though, that I feel like removing all of my photos if there really is such resentment that I (and others) do not have the time to share all the details. I have always felt (and am sure others feel similarly) that by sharing photos, at the very least, that I am adding what I can to this community.

I am a full-time college student, a wife, and have many loving pets for which to care. I have a very full life besides stamping. I enjoy being part of an active stamping community. I do what I can, but I would like those who dislike my inability (or unwillingness) to take the time to give details for every card to know that I do find it hurtful that my work is not considered valuable. I think it is terribly sad that as a fellow stamper, I am only as valuable to some as far as my capability to give directions on how to recreate my work.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:25 PM   #49
Bunny's SunnyChick

I agree with you it takes time to figure out what items I used on a card. It's time consuming because when I create something I simply do that...CREATE and my creative process doesn't always include thinking of or writing down what I'm using. Not all of my DP has the brand on the back...especially if it is from a block of paper. Yes, I may be able to search for the brand on the block of paper but not always. My biggest problem is the process for uploading. I did one today and it took forevah to get it working (which was a learning curve with my program not a prob with SCS).

I agree that at least the basics should be shared but I personally have a love/hate relationship with uploading my creations. It is a process that takes more time for me to complete then it does to post to my blog. Therefore, I may not always do it in both places.

These days I am lucky to have time to accomplish either one...good points here ladies...and good info. TFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Alice* View Post
My point is that I did take the time to scan and crop my photos. Then I uploaded them. It would take me forever (not literally) to figure out where/what items I used. Then, as far as pp, I have no idea if it's wild asparagus, SU, dcwv or what. I often use scraps of cardstock. I don't know if that scrap was perfect plum by SU or some purple by Bazzill. I take my embellishments out of their original packaging to save space. I don't know where I got those metal charms from.

I did take the time to share a photo. I just think it's nice to leave a comment when someone "favorites" a card. That's all. I think that is a little give and take.
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley
Are you a member ?

Closed & Telling All: Not-So-Secret Sister Swap

Last edited by stampin-sunnychick; 10-16-2007 at 10:30 PM..
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 PM   #50
Die Cut Diva

My first post of the three above should read: It seems to me that many people who borrow ideas from others do NOT make an exact copy anyway, so what's wrong with sharing just the photo, which is an idea?

I forgot the "not" and the "?"
Old 10-16-2007, 10:49 PM   #51

Quote:
I want to thank everyone for the nice comments that have been said about my cards.

I have to be honest though, that I feel like removing all of my photos if there really is such resentment that I (and others) do not have the time to share all the details. I have always felt (and am sure others feel similarly) that by sharing photos, at the very least, that I am adding what I can to this community.
whoa! please don't do that! for one thing, it takes everyone here to make it a stamping community!! For another, I believe the OP was just asking kindly for people to take the time to write their supplies down. I can understand not remembering brand of paper, I only remember my SU colours ... all the other kinds I can't keep track of.

Quote:
I am a full-time college student, a wife, and have many loving pets for which to care. I have a very full life besides stamping. I enjoy being part of an active stamping community. I do what I can, but I would like those who dislike my inability (or unwillingness) to take the time to give details for every card to know that I do find it hurtful that my work is not considered valuable. I think it is terribly sad that as a fellow stamper, I am only as valuable to some as far as my capability to give directions on how to recreate my work.
Don't take offense but do you think others aren't busy too? I'm a mother of 4 and 5 months pregnant, a wife (who's hubby is heading off to school across the country next month for three months), a musician for our church, I babysit other children, and even more ... doesn't mean that I don't take the time to write my stuff down ... it only takes another few minutes ...

Part of the sharing of ingredients is so that others can recreate it, or find that paper or stamp or embellishment that they fall in love with while looking at your card. Also, sometimes scanners/cameras don't pick up true colours, so it's nice to read the ingredients to see what it truly looks like.

the main thing I think the OP was getting at was the blog linking where more details were provided than here on SCS
Old 10-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #52
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by prchvs View Post
Don't take offense but do you think others aren't busy too? I'm a mother of 4 and 5 months pregnant, a wife (who's hubby is heading off to school across the country next month for three months), a musician for our church, I babysit other children, and even more ... doesn't mean that I don't take the time to write my stuff down ... it only takes another few minutes ...
Of course I think others are busy. In fact, I imply that in my writings. I think it's great that you do have the time to write your stuff down. I don't. I am not willing to take the time to figure out what company was what. I state that it would take too much time for me. For me, it would take much more than another "few minutes." All my papers are loose, no longer in stacks or in identifying packaging, as are all my other products.

If I were to fill out the information, I image many people would still not appreciate that I had done so because there would be a lot of "unknown source" written into the spaces. When people directly ask me what I used, I do the best I can to dig through my things to answer their questions. Why should I go through all the trouble every time? I'd have no time to stamp, and therefore, nothing to share.

I understand that you have the time or are willing to make the time to go above and beyond. I can not and will not do that. I still think it's sad that what I am able to share is not valuable to many because I don't give them full instructions. Frankly, I don't want to now, knowing that's all my work is good for to many people.

I just think those who don't appreciate that instructions aren't given should understand that there are often good reasons why that information is not there. I think if we assume good intentions on the part of the person sharing photos that this kind of upset between the parties would not happen. I truly believe that most of us share what we can, and we should be appreciative for that. If my work is not appreciated here, than I don't see why I should keep posting it.

Obviously, since I have not gotten a great volume of comments but have continued to post pictures anyway, I have felt that sharing my works has been of value to others. If I was simply seeking comments, I certainly wouldn't continue to share where I am receiving so few.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:30 PM   #53
Gallery Gazer

I think there is a link I read here from SCS moderator asking us to please not just put a link to a blog but inlcude information with your uploaded card.

We have also been asked not to upload on Sundays but not everyone has gotten the message. But that is another topic entirely.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #54
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldwinterton View Post
I think there is a link I read here from SCS moderator asking us to please not just put a link to a blog but inlcude information with your uploaded card.

We have also been asked not to upload on Sundays but not everyone has gotten the message. But that is another topic entirely.

Fan club members can upload on Sundays since one of the perks of being a member is instant uploads. Since non-fan club member cards need to be approved, they are asked to not upload on Sundays to give the gallery mods a break.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #55
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrammy View Post
We actually have a great discussion of this topic in a "sticky" thread, right here:
"Splitcoast Needs Your Help"
Reading the thread will enable everyone to better understand the SCS viewpoint on the topic of gallery information. Hopefully this will help.
Ladies .. it just seems like a good time to bring this back into perspective. Thanks for reading the link.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 PM   #56
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjodylynn View Post
Fan club members can upload on Sundays since one of the perks of being a member is instant uploads. Since non-fan club member cards need to be approved, they are asked to not upload on Sundays to give the gallery mods a break.
Thanks for clearing that up. I hadn't read it that way. I didn't remember it mentioning anything about fan club members, but I did know that fan club members get instant uploads. So it makes since. But just last Sunday I noticed pictured not approved. So, I guess some people still haven't read that message. I think that not uploading on Sundays is a great request to give mods a break!!! I believe in napping on Sundays myself!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 PM   #57
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynstamps View Post
I know this has been brought up time and again. If people are taking the time to upload "their" artwork I don't mind taking a minute to check out their blogs. They don't have to share with us at all.
I TOTALLY agree with this!!
People are taking time to upload their work.........you don't 'buy' it from them including the recipes.
So if you're interested in the how-to's why not take the time to check the blog......you don't have to read the whole blog, just the recipe you're interested in.
Or why not tickle your muse a bit more and case the card but with your own ingredients?
Vronica
Old 10-17-2007, 02:43 AM   #58
Stazon Splitcoast

I just have one small bit to add and then I am leaving this discussion alone.

If you don't have time to leave a recipe, then you don't have time to upload a card, really. It isn't that much more time-consuming. I have actually had a card all ready to be uploaded into my gallery but because I didn't have the time to put in the recipe information I didn't upload it until I DID have the time.

There are a lot of new stampers that come to this website (and I still include myself in that lot) and they don't always know what stamp companies or colors are out there. It's only common courtesy to put the basic recipe.

Everyone on here is busy- don't pretend that you're more important than anyone else. (I work 12 hours a day plus on-call all night, have a teenage son, have to manage a household completely on my own and yet I still manage to get my basic recipe on my uploads)

As far as not rememver what has been used on the card- posters who have a link to their blog as their only information KNOW what they used on their cards because the recipe is on their blog- so that isn't their issue. Blogs (all blog spot blogs are- that's why I quit blogging myself) are blocked at my job (and did I mention I spend a great deal of time at the office) so I cannot click on the link to get the recipe information. If you have time to cut and paste a link to your blog you have time to cut and paste the recipe as well.

Just my two cents worth- now I m staying out of it. The Sticky in the forum posted by the Mods says it all.

Last edited by SherryLC05; 10-17-2007 at 03:05 AM..
Old 10-17-2007, 04:13 AM   #59
Google Master

I think it is great that there are lots of wonderful bloggers here...

To be honest, the thing that bothers me the most is when you click the blog for more info and you get the home page of the blog and I can't for the life of me find the card info...

It is hidden on some other page...

If it is something I really like I will PM the person and get the information...
Old 10-17-2007, 04:52 AM   #60
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisotremba View Post
I TOTALY understand your comment!! I use to put the recipe on my blog.... but than I read complaints about doing that & I agreed. So now I do it differently...

I put the recipe on my SCS gallery & than when I upload the project on my blog I link the recipe to my SCS gallery. That way it brings more traffic to SCS & my readers can see my entire gallery & other galleries too. It's a WIN WIN!!!

I have to admit. I'm a little behind on my SCS gallery & sometimes I don't do the recipe at all. But never fear...I'm slapin' my hand right now and I PROMISE to be better at it.
That would be the best solution in my book. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:59 AM   #61
Mad Swapper

Okay, I know people are going to think I am being mean, but I am just being honest.

I come to SCS to get ideas and inspiration. Part of what SCS asks of us when we put something in a gallery is to include what we used. I think we owe it to them to follow this, after all, they are providing us with a rocking website.

If I wanted to read blogs, I would go to blogs. I don't! Therefore, I come here . And here they ask for the basic ingredients. If you don't have time to list a few ideas, how do people find the time to ramble on endlessly on their blogs??? I don't need a life story, I need CS colors, embellishments and stuff like that! If you don't want to do what SCS asks, then just blog. It seems simple.

I guess I just don't understand why people can't take a few seconds to add the specifics.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:11 AM   #62
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:
I don't have a blog, and I don't post recipes. I notice I get less comments than other stampers who I feel I am just as talented as. I don't have time to post the recipes or, frankly, the desire to figure out what company the items were from. There are just too many that I use, and I often just do not know. However, when I am directly asked about an item, I do respond to the person asking. I wish that those who think my work is good enough to "favorite" would leave a comment. I just think that's the polite thing to do. As others have mentioned as well, I think posting pictures at all is a nice thing to do.

I read this yesterday but had to think on it overnight so I could truly figure out how I felt about this comment.

The way I feel is that if you don't have "time" for those of us that are looking for inspiration from your work that is a disrespectful way of treating all of us. It is the same as if you were to meet me for an appointment and you were late because your time is more valuable than my time...

If I am taking the time out of my equally busy life to look at someones artwork in the gallery then they should have enough respect for me to share their idea, at least the basics of their idea.

On the subject of being favorited and not commenting, I guess that these people are too busy to comment and dont have the time, favoriting is so much quicker
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Old 10-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #63
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=jpmayo;7472557]I read this yesterday but had to think on it overnight so I could truly figure out how I felt about this comment.

The way I feel is that if you don't have "time" for those of us that are looking for inspiration from your work that is a disrespectful way of treating all of us. It is the same as if you were to meet me for an appointment and you were late because your time is more valuable than my time...

If I am taking the time out of my equally busy life to look at someones artwork in the gallery then they should have enough respect for me to share their idea, at least the basics of their idea.

On the subject of being favorited and not commenting, I guess that these people are too busy to comment and dont have the time, favoriting is so much quicker[/QUOTE]

That is probably true, however if I favorite a card I do make a conscious effort to comment on it as well- just sometimes it's at a later time when I am reviewing what I added to my favorites.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #64
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Ladies, a mod has stepped in here twice to remind everyone about the sticky about posting in the gallery. Maybe it's time to let this topic fade into the forum graveyard. After all, it will be brought up again as it always is.

Let's just try and do the best we can, okay?

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #65
Stazon Splitcoast

Ladies, if you WERE to go over to that Sticky, you might gain an understanding about this subject that is not apparent in this thread.

This "no recipe" thing came up because people were not just leaving the recipe area blank, but they were ALSO putting a link to their blogs. The problem was blank recipe area AND blog link, NOT just blank recipe area. By putting in a blog link to basically force people to click on a blog link, the end result was sort of like "theft" of viewers from SCS to individual blog. Like an unpaid-for advertisement, if you will.

That is a totally different thing from just leaving the recipe area blank. Just as the op has "reasons" for not having a gallery that weren't apparent until she explained, so too the empty recipe area might have a reason. Nobody has a right to make that judgment, at least not out loud and in public. You can think it all you want, but I can't think of any reason a person should be blasted because they gave some, but didn't "give" to your satisfaction.

To reiterate:

No info PLUS blog link = not cool
No info WITHOUT blog link = not a big deal

Read the other thread. ALL of it. Hopefully you'll realize that it's the blog part of the equation that's the problem.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:18 AM   #66
Die Cut Diva

Betsy, thank you for the clear and concise explanation. I hope that it is read and understood by us all.

Have a lovely day, everyone!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:31 AM   #67
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ View Post
Ladies, if you WERE to go over to that Sticky, you might gain an understanding about this subject that is not apparent in this thread.

This "no recipe" thing came up because people were not just leaving the recipe area blank, but they were ALSO putting a link to their blogs. The problem was blank recipe area AND blog link, NOT just blank recipe area. By putting in a blog link to basically force people to click on a blog link, the end result was sort of like "theft" of viewers from SCS to individual blog. Like an unpaid-for advertisement, if you will.

That is a totally different thing from just leaving the recipe area blank. Just as the op has "reasons" for not having a gallery that weren't apparent until she explained, so too the empty recipe area might have a reason. Nobody has a right to make that judgment, at least not out loud and in public. You can think it all you want, but I can't think of any reason a person should be blasted because they gave some, but didn't "give" to your satisfaction.

To reiterate:

No info PLUS blog link = not cool
No info WITHOUT blog link = not a big deal

Read the other thread. ALL of it. Hopefully you'll realize that it's the blog part of the equation that's the problem.
Ahhh, words of wisdom. thanks Betsy.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 PM   #68
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyinMN View Post
I don't mind links to blogs, but I do appreciate a direct link to the specific recipe. For me, I might not have a lot of time to dig around someone's blog at the moment, but if I like what I see, I bookmark it for later cruising.
Exactly. I don't mind going to someone's blog.. but when I look at a card of theirs posted three weeks ago.. I don't want to have to search three week's of postings to find one card. That's the only part that annoys me.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #69
Polyshrink Goddess

Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittypaws View Post
The reason I don't have a gallery is that I don't have a scanner at home and the scanner at work is just black & white.
If you are posting pics on your blog couldn't you use the same pick to upload to SCS?

For OP I think that when people just link their blog for info that it would have been just as easy to copy the some of the details from the blog to the gallery post. That would save time from retyping etc.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:32 PM   #70
Pearl-ExPert

To see my post, please visit my blog at
www.talkscrapbooking.com

ok, I couldn't resist.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #71
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryLC05 View Post
I feel like if you have time to upload a photo (that takes the most time out of the whole process IMO) then you can leave basic information about the card. You don't even HAVE to write the info down because you can see a thumbnail of your card as you type. You don't have to write paragraphs and tell us your life story- but if you could PLEASE put what stamps you used and the colors, etc. more people would benefit from your uploaded card.

If you are only uploading your cards only to see how many comments and opinions you receive- then shame on you! This is a sharing site- and people should upload to SHARE information (such as cs colors stamps, etc.) not to feed your ego. (I will probably get flamed for this- but I stand by my principle on this one....) Most people come to this site to get ideas- if you want people to comment on your cards then share your ideas- even if it is as simple as colors and stamps (or even the stamp companies for crying out loud!) then put a very basic recipe in your description. It doesn't take but 30 second longer.

Ok. I am done ranting now!

I have to agree with this post. I love to see the recipe, and I realize that sometimes it's hard to remember exactly what paper or what stamp is used, but as much as you can list would be great! I always thought it was a "rule" to put the recipe in.. at least that's the jist I got from the whole "Splitcoast Needs Your Help" thread.
Anyway, I'm sitting here thinking how ironic it is for people who say they don't have time to post the recipe here at SCS, but get upset when people don't have have time to comment if they're favorited. lol
Old 10-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #72
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyinMN View Post
I don't mind links to blogs, but I do appreciate a direct link to the specific recipe. For me, I might not have a lot of time to dig around someone's blog at the moment, but if I like what I see, I bookmark it for later cruising.
Ah! Thanks for that info. I usually just put my blog address, but now that you say this, I realize that, although if they click on it that day, it'll take them to the entry for that particular card, it won't do the same if they click on it later. Duh. Lightbulb moment. I'll put up the specific link from now on.

I do put the basic recipe up when I post a card or other item here, and instructions if they're short and simple. However, for more involved projects, there are going to be step-by-step pictures along with the step-by-step directions on my blog (intertwined text/pics). To put up step-by-step pictures here on SCS would mean you would have to click on each one separately to see each step. It's less clicks for the viewer if they just click on my blog and then they can just scroll down the directions/pictures. This was certainly the case with my Joseph's coat tutorial the other day and my "make your own marker case" tutorial today (very long and involved directions), but again, those are more involved projects. I also told people they could find the Joseph's Coat tutorial on this site under resources - techniques (so if they object to clicking on blogs, they could find it here).
Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #73
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
www.talkscrapbooking.com

ok, I couldn't resist.
too funny
Old 10-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #74
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiBee View Post
Anyway, I'm sitting here thinking how ironic it is for people who say they don't have time to post the recipe here at SCS, but get upset when people don't have have time to comment if they're favorited. lol
It's not ironic; it's about appreciating what someone shares that you enjoy.

Think about it like this:
I decorate a cake. You see the cake and think it's very pretty. You ask me if I will teach you how to decorate the cake, what color frosting did I use, etc. I say, "I'm sorry, I don't have time to explain it all to you. I don't even know which sized tip to use, as mine are not numbered. However, here is a picture of my cake so you can go home and experiment with your supplies and try to recreate my cake decorating."

How am I being a jerk? Why does that not deserve the common pleasantry of a "thank you" for taking what time you can to share with me?

That's how I feel when I keep hearing that what I am able to share is not good enough. I am doing what I can to share. Why is that a detriment against me? There are no requirements for anyone to share anything here. So why is it there is some arbitrary line that so many people are drawing?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #75
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
www.talkscrapbooking.com

ok, I couldn't resist.
Hey, I didn't see any post about this thread.

I love the colors you use on your cards. Very cheery.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #76
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Hey, I didn't see any post about this thread.

I love the colors you use on your cards. Very cheery.
Hey, you didn't have to go to my blog, but I'm glad you liked my cards! lol

Old 10-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #77
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Hey, you didn't have to go to my blog, but I'm glad you liked my cards! lol
I knew it was optional. I like to check out blogs when I get the chance.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:47 PM   #78
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I knew it was optional. I like to check out blogs when I get the chance.
Well, thank you and stop by anytime.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 PM   #79
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
It's not ironic; it's about appreciating what someone shares that you enjoy.

Think about it like this:
I decorate a cake. You see the cake and think it's very pretty. You ask me if I will teach you how to decorate the cake, what color frosting did I use, etc. I say, "I'm sorry, I don't have time to explain it all to you. I don't even know which sized tip to use, as mine are not numbered. However, here is a picture of my cake so you can go home and experiment with your supplies and try to recreate my cake decorating."

How am I being a jerk? Why does that not deserve the common pleasantry of a "thank you" for taking what time you can to share with me?

That's how I feel when I keep hearing that what I am able to share is not good enough. I am doing what I can to share. Why is that a detriment against me? There are no requirements for anyone to share anything here. So why is it there is some arbitrary line that so many people are drawing?
Alice,

For whatever it's worth, I both agree and disagree with you. I think that shaing a card with no recipe information is tons better than not sharing at all (though I think that sharing the information on a blog but not on SCS seems too much like hunting for traffic). I have no problem with people not sharing their recipes. I can always PM them if I really need some information.

(Please note that I also do not have a problem with people who don;t upload their cards, for whatever reason. It's just that for me being able to view a card is always better than not being able to view it.)

On the other hand, I think sharing is about sharing, and not about comments or compliments. Sure it's wonderful when a card gets a lot of comments, but the lack of comments on a card could be due to so many reasons (location of a card (If it's in a member's gallery it is less likely to be seen,) time of upload, what else is going on on SCS that day, etc.) that it really means nothing.

If you do want to get more comments, you might want to participate in the comment thread. That's a fun way to check out some new galleries and leave comments for other stampers as people leave comments on your creations. Or, alternatively, try to participate in one or more of the daily challenges on the day the challenge is issued, the earlier the better. That way you are guaranteeing that more people will look at your card and, hopefully, like what they see and leave a comment.

By the way, I wanted to leave comments in your gallery tonight, but there doesn't seem to be anything in it. If you decided to erase your gallery as a result of this thread, I hope you will reconsider and upload again in the future!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:43 AM   #80
Die Cut Diva

I always appreciate a recipe in the gallery. If I am in question of some patterned paper or a stamp I just PM the person for more info.

If there's a blog link & I am truly curious, I'll click on it. If it deems to be more than I have time to read at the moment but I know I want to revisit it sometime, I'll add it in my favorites folder on my browser bar for another time.

Just my .02. Have a great day!

Anne
Closed Thread