Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #41
Mad Swapper

I am so sorry you are feeling stressed about all of this. I also agree with what everyone else is saying. I am a mental health and substance abuse therapist and while there is actually such a thing as being addicted to shopping, etc. I had some different thoughts about this. Without a doubt, it sounds like you have realized you are spending to much and you can explore in yourself what a balance for you would be. As you can see, a lot of us have gone through this from time to time where we have to assess where we are spending our money. But I also want to point out the value in finding peace in this hobby. A lot of people struggle w/ daily stressors, turn to drugs/alcohol, suffer from depression, etc. I can't speak for others, but stamping / scrapbooking is a major stress reliever for me. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I try to exercise regularly and there are days that it's kind of like that Calgon commercial where I just want to hide in my room and "decompress" and look at splitcoastampers. Now, I don't know about you, but it kind of reminds me of one of those mastercard or american express commercials....you know the one, where they say "priceless" We all deserve to have/do things that bring us pleasure, albeit in balance. I peeked at your gallery again and you do stunning work. I have many of your cards saved in my favorites. Maybe you could start selling some of your work to friends, co-workers, etc. to offset some from your hobby? I guess what I'm saying is you struck a cord for me too, and while it sounds like you realize you need to make changes b/c you were "having to much fun", there's also such value in this hobby too. It also goes w/o saying that sharing your work also brings us great pleasure too.

I also want to thank you for sharing this with all of us, b/c it's making me take a step back and assessing my own balance with this, which is always a good thing.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #42
Mad Swapper

I can so relate to what you are going through. My husband hasn't totally 'caught' me yet, but I am trying to stop before he does. I think I am going to cancel one of my credit cards that I used just for crafts. He doesn't even know I have it and I can't justify hiding it anymore. We have to get a loan for a new car in March or buy the one we are leasing, so I want to pay the card off, as well as make a dent in others and not let him see how much we owe when I have a nice closet full of supplies. I guess I should put aside some cash each month to spend, like $25 or so and stick to it. Credit cards are evil!
Old 12-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #43
Watercolor Wizard

I had my own ah-ha moment about five years ago when DH looked at the bank statement and pointed out I'd spent $200 in one month at HL, Ben Franklin, and the scrapbook store. (He didn't know about the cash I'd spent and I didn't fess up!) If he'd asked me how much I'd spent, I would have said, honestly, about $50. The shock of the difference between my PERCEPTION and the REALITY was my wake-up call.

Two years ago, I opened a separate account for crafting. I put money in it as is reasonable, and if I don't have money in it, I don't buy. Our bank allows this secondary checking with no fees, no minimum balance, and a check card I can use for internet orders. It's a really good way for me to keep myself under control.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #44
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
I had my own ah-ha moment about five years ago when DH looked at the bank statement and pointed out I'd spent $200 in one month at HL, Ben Franklin, and the scrapbook store. (He didn't know about the cash I'd spent and I didn't fess up!) If he'd asked me how much I'd spent, I would have said, honestly, about $50. The shock of the difference between my PERCEPTION and the REALITY was my wake-up call.

Two years ago, I opened a separate account for crafting. I put money in it as is reasonable, and if I don't have money in it, I don't buy. Our bank allows this secondary checking with no fees, no minimum balance, and a check card I can use for internet orders. It's a really good way for me to keep myself under control.
Ooh, smart cookie. I like this idea.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #45
Stazon Splitcoast

For me, I can only spend what I make with my SU Demo earnings. So, if I want to spend a bit more, I have to do an extra workshop, or two. So far, I can buy what ever I want, and have paid for our trip to Jamaica with the extra!! I wanted to show my hubby, that with the fun that I am having with my hobby, I could do something for him too! He really liked that idea
Old 12-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #46
Matboard Maniac

I'm sorry you're sad, too. But at least you know now, and can plan your purchases with more care.

I, too, have spent a ton on this hobby. And I see things everyday I'd 'like' to have. I've realized this hobby is a nice luxury for me and I have resigned myself to be content with the 80 - 90 or so stamp sets I already have, plus all the toys to 'go with' and to 'use what I have' before buying more.

Thankfully, I also have a very supportive DBF and we have separate money. He sees the sets, but he doesn't know the $ total.

And if he did complain (I know the OP will appreciate this, being from our friends up north]... HE plays HOCKEY... a pretty expensive hobby itself!

LOL!

Enjoy what you have, maybe sell a few things you don't use and tuck that money away.

What's done is done. Go in peace enjoying what you have now, with a careful eye to what you may/may not buy later.

HIH!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #47
Pearl-ExPert

I am really liking the idea that 2 posters put forward. A separate bank account with a certain number of dollars in it. Once the dollars are gone, that's it. No more spending.

So tonight, I am going to sit down with DH and establish an amount I can spend each month. Then I am going to multiply that by 12 and get my 1 year of stamping budget. If I blow it in 6 months, then I'm out of luck. DH will look at the bank account sheets every month to make sure I am not throwing in any extra (cause I don't trust myself....I truly am addicted...to ribbon, punches, brads, paper especially). Stamps...not quite as much...I seem to be able to make do with what I have, thank goodness. But for some reason, I have got to have the latest in all embellishments.

I haven't decided on an amount. Any ideas on what you think might be reasonable?? I was considering 40/month. So 480$, bearing in mind, we spend more in Canada on SU!. And some months, I will not put in any orders, other months, I will want to use up that money I did not spend from the previous month.

I think this might work for me. As long as I have DH watching me. I told a gal who PMd me...I feel like I am in re-hab and DH is my counsellor helping me overcome my addiction! I have a ton of stuff already. I should be able to do this. But why am I still buying when I still have stuff I haven't used yet. That is the part I worry about. I AM addicted to papercrafting...no two ways about it!

But I love the hobby way too much to give it up! It is peaceful, fun, relaxing, creative. It is a great hobby. Just a pricey one for many of us. If we let it get that way.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Old 12-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #48
Die Cut Diva

Way to go Denise. We know you can do this!!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:52 PM   #49
Queen Chat Box Chick

Crafting is very addictive. It was very tough last week to NOT go to Michaels with the latest 40% off coupon. I might WANT something........but I definitely don't NEED anything. Thats what it truly comes down to.......needs and wants. My New Years resolution is going to be to pay more attention to my spending habits. I have found in the past that writing down what I spend in a little notebook I keep in my purse helps ALOT. I write down everything I buy....even a tea from Timmies.
Good Luck Denise......you can do it!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #50
Glitter Guru

I know how you feel ~~ I haven't worked since last fall, & our credit card balance is showing it!! I keep hoping the pay-it-off fairy will come & make it go away! I am desperately looking for a job but can't find one, I may end up temping so I can pay off a few things!! Chin up, girl! This is a good thing!!! Now you can get a budget in gear!!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #51
Mad Swapper

Hugs to you Denise! I am happy to hear how understanding your husband is. I suspect he already knew you'd beat yourself up over it! Keep smilin' we all still love you!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #52
Matboard Maniac

[QUOTE=denidill;7898962] I haven't decided on an amount. Any ideas on what you think might be reasonable?? I was considering 40/month. So 480$, bearing in mind, we spend more in Canada on SU!. And some months, I will not put in any orders, other months, I will want to use up that money I did not spend from the previous month.
QUOTE]

That seems pretty reasonable... maybe just bump it to an even $500 and call it a year. Also, too, keep in mind if you sell anything you find you don't use or "love" as much, you could maybe put that $$ in the kitty, too.

I forgot to mention, but sometimes I trade for things I want with either local stampers or stampers on the BST board. The only thing you have to consider with that is the cost of shipping for the trade (and I guess also if someone didn't follow thru on their end, but that's not been an issue for me].

But you never know, something you have and don't use someone else may want and you can trade for something you want. [especially with embellies- for me sometimes I buy such fad things that it goes out before I use it up! LOL]
Old 12-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #53
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KikoView Post
I am making a major commitment for 2008 to cut back to the quick my stamping/hobby spending, and to actually use all the things I have already bought.
and there is the key! I have made the committment to use every single stamp I own before I can buy a new one. I can tell the stamps I use and the ones that just sit there. I have so many great sets and yet instead of using what I have, I just buy more and plan. I need to just get down to crafting with what I have! What I don't use, will be sold on eBay to fund additional purchases when I have "ungrounded" myself. Also, I am a paper hoarder!!! I cannot buy anymore paper in any color until I reduce my paper by half!

There, now that I have written it, I need to do it. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to help me keep my spending in check! Lucky you that you have a husband who loves you and will help you get through your stamp spending addiction! smiles!
Old 12-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #54
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
I am really liking the idea that 2 posters put forward. A separate bank account with a certain number of dollars in it. Once the dollars are gone, that's it. No more spending.

So tonight, I am going to sit down with DH and establish an amount I can spend each month. Then I am going to multiply that by 12 and get my 1 year of stamping budget. If I blow it in 6 months, then I'm out of luck. DH will look at the bank account sheets every month to make sure I am not throwing in any extra (cause I don't trust myself....I truly am addicted...to ribbon, punches, brads, paper especially). Stamps...not quite as much...I seem to be able to make do with what I have, thank goodness. But for some reason, I have got to have the latest in all embellishments.

I haven't decided on an amount. Any ideas on what you think might be reasonable?? I was considering 40/month. So 480$, bearing in mind, we spend more in Canada on SU!. And some months, I will not put in any orders, other months, I will want to use up that money I did not spend from the previous month.

I think this might work for me. As long as I have DH watching me. I told a gal who PMd me...I feel like I am in re-hab and DH is my counsellor helping me overcome my addiction! I have a ton of stuff already. I should be able to do this. But why am I still buying when I still have stuff I haven't used yet. That is the part I worry about. I AM addicted to papercrafting...no two ways about it!

But I love the hobby way too much to give it up! It is peaceful, fun, relaxing, creative. It is a great hobby. Just a pricey one for many of us. If we let it get that way.

I feel your pain. I posted a thread under the everyday chit chat about TRUE compulsive spending. I have decided to give myself a budget also, and I have enlisted the help of my mother, which I feel like such a loser doing, but I don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life. I too have not bought myself any clothes or anything because I spend it all on stamps and such. I just recently bought, all in the same day, a bind it all, cuttlebug and scorepal and accessories for the bug and bind it. EEEKKK And I haven't even used them. Haven't even opened the score pal. May have to get rid of it cuz I honestly don't see myself using it. My boy frien said I need to get on a stamping/scrapping budget becuz we have 2 kids and need a new car so it has to be done. He says we aren't POOR, we are PO, we can't ven afford the OR at the end!! LOL It's sad....Good Luck

Oh I forgot my budgeted amount is $50 a month I think that is reasonable. I justify it by telling myself that it is one color client a month (I do hair part time and work full time at school). Hopefully it will work
Old 12-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #55
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by staramazeView Post
(((hugs))) This is such a financially stressful time of year! I have been through this too and I totally understand... now I get cash only... which helps me keep things under control (you can't spend what you don't have!). With hobbies like ours and enablers like those we all know and love... it's real easy to loose control!
amen! It really is comforting to find people as obsessive as yourself out there My DH just doesn't understand. at least you didn't put your checking acct in the negative and not realize it (and kept spending...) because you're too busy....
Old 12-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #56
Gabfest Goddess

I too have a separate account for stamping purchases (I'm a demo). When it's empty, then I can't buy any more. I am getting more ruthless with parting from retired sets to replenish that fund! I also just got a part-time job, and that money is going toward convention first. The only problem with a job is that I have less time to stamp!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #57
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

I've noticed that also that, I havent bought any new clothes for myself as well. It's rather sad. Since I do stay at home most of the time, they'll be a time or too where I'm going to have to get some new clothes, just for church and special occassions..I cant be wearing sleeveless shirts in the winter time. I always say to myself and to my dh that I'm going to go shopping for ME at a clothes store...rarely I come home with clothes, let alone shoes. Sometimes, the checking account runs to the negative but not a high negative, it is scary..we felt like we are PO too. Think of all that money thats upstairs in my craft room. I dont just stamp either, I sew and make quilts too. Luckily my mom helps with the kids clothes, other than that we are really trying. You know that you mentioned how you bought all those things listed. I had to have this cropodile, used it once..so, there is $20 sitting in my drawer. It's disgusting. Anyways, I forgot to mention this in my earlier post. Next year, I am going to have to try alot harder at not spending..here's another problem..after the holiday sales...its going to be tough. Especially the way I love ribbon. I spent a bunch of money on these Spool of Ribbons last year after clearance sale at Michaels, they were 5 cents each. I bought like a 100 of these. do I use them No, they are sitting in the bag still. Its pretty bad. Its hard to pass up a good deal when I see one. Lots of luck for everyone in the new year with their goals.

Bonnie
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #58
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

I looked at the SU! catty and the way they set it up is so enticing. And the in-colors. Don't get me started. For a person who loves them each year, it is hard for me to say goodbye to them. I should not have bought last year's because, I have not used them this year. Vintage Violet once and C. Caribbean once each!

I have used this year's in-colors ALOT, so I know these will be a good thing for me to buy a few pack of. But I would not have known this ahead of time, so I may have to stop with this cardstock. So tricky of SU! I think it is rotten of them, actually. It's the only think about SU! that I don't like. Because I know it is a money grab, plain and simple. And it works. Look how many of us stock up. And if you want an ink-pad, you are forced to buy a whole ink pad, not an ink-spot. If I used the in-color cardstock all the time, even years later, it would be ok. But I don't know if I am going to do that, seeing as I can't read the future!

Sorry for such a long thread. I am just so upset with myself. I had to "get it all out" and I knew you girls would understand where I am coming from. For those that have money to burn, I realize this may be a non-issue.
Hi Denise...

I know you're upset with yourself and I can sympathize, having gotten myself into a similar position (but a day with the credit card statements, with all the guitar related expenses highlighted and totaled showed my DH that I was not the only one at fault. )

But I really do have to take exception to the last part of your original post.

Stampin' Up!, as any company that is in business, does business by selling things. They aren't a benevolent organization set up to provide stampers with products as cheaply as possible or to only put out just enough products at a time so as not to tempt people to spend too much money. If they did that, they would cease to exist.

The scrapbooking/stamping industry is extremely fast paced these days, and it seems that all companies have been forced to put new releases out faster and faster. In addition, there are now color trends that are followed, as well as multiple trade shows each year to introduce new products, ALL meant to be a "money grab" when it comes right down to it. It's not Stampin' Up!, it's the industry as a whole. SU! is just trying to compete in a very heavily saturated and highly competitive marketplace. The In Colors are one way to keep up with what is hot in the papercrafting marketplace.

What I have told my customers is this: buy one pack of paper and one pad if you love one of the In Colors. If you find you use it a lot, buy a reinker, stock up on the cardstock in June and you'll be good for a long, long time. Any pads and cardstock you don't want to keep can easily be sold on line somewhere. While there are a couple of last years' In Colors I don't use too often, I still use at least one of the other 4 once or twice a month.

Yes, the SU! catalog and online websites are enticing, but the ultimate responsibility about how we spend our money rests with ourselves alone.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 12-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #59
Pearl-ExPert

Jan,
You are absolutely right. I realize it was a stupid thing to say. If I find I don't like where SU! is going with certain selling styles, then it is up to me to not buy. I am (or was) always looking for someone to blame. The company and their enticing catalogue is an easy target and not fair.

I cannot believe the number of PMs I have received today from gals who have not posted, telling me their experiences. It is unbelievable. We all agree we love this hobby in the PMs, but for some reason, we are people who buy and buy when product is still sitting unused. Some women told me how much they racked up and it is flabbergasting. Some told me of heartbreaking stories of having to sell precious things to get out of debt. I hope the New Year brings a balance to all who need it. And I will still be here making cards!! They might be a little less embellished; a stamp may be used over and over again. But that will be ok.

MY GALLERY

Last edited by denidill; 12-03-2007 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: sentence structure
Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #60
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have this addiction and others. They are a blessing and a suffering.

I think you're onto a good question here... "But why am I still buying when I still have stuff I haven't used yet. That is the part I worry about."

Congrats on your admission, and on your *public* admission. WOW, that took courage!!!!!!!

Peace and serenity and love be with you as you search for your answers

Serenity aka Lela
Old 12-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #61
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Jan,
You are absolutely right. I realize it was a stupid thing to say. If I find I don't like where SU! is going with certain selling styles, then it is up to me to not buy. I am (or was) always looking for someone to blame. The company and their enticing catalogue is an easy target and not fair.

I cannot believe the number of PMs I have received today from gals who have not posted, telling me their experiences. It is unbelievable. We all agree we love this hobby in the PMs, but for some reason, we are people who buy and buy when product is still sitting unused. Some women told me how much they racked up and it is flabbergasting. Some told me of heartbreaking stories of having to sell precious things to get out of debt. I hope the New Year brings a balance to all who need it. And I will still be here making cards!! They might be a little less embellished; a stamp may be used over and over again. But that will be ok.
I'm glad we're good...I was a bit worried that I might offend with my post!

Yes, it's really easy to overspend and I personally know quite a few women who have a problem in this area. I got in over my head once or twice, but now I really try to spend only the money I make from my business or the money I get from selling off my retired stock. I like to buy from online sites that have Paypal for that reason...I know the money in my PayPal account is there from selling off retired stamps or other stamping ventures, so it is there to cover my purchases, so if I limit to buying only with that, I'm okay. Otherwise, I keep all my purchases on one credit card only and pay that off every month.

And yeah, I'm still wearing shoes that are 4 years old, coats that are 10 years old, I dug a winter hat out of the closet that I bought before my oldest daughter was born and wore that today...I'd rather spend money on stamps than clothes any day!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 12-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #62
Pearl-ExPert

Default DH is helping me out!

I had to beg him to do this...he thought I was going to far. But we have set an amount (yearly) that I can spend in 1 month or over 12 months. It's up to me. BUT, he will check our account regularly, our credit cards and if he sees any debit going through, I cough up the receipt so he sees where I spent. I am giving him all the receipts and he is adding them up for me. Sounds harsh and Big-Brotherish and he was not very willing to do it...said I'd be ok. But I know I won't be ok. Maybe for a few months, but I know I will go to my old spending ways. So I begged him to be tough and to keep his watch on me. I feel more in control with his help. I'm glad I started this thread; it was very helpful for me and I feel I'm on a new and good stamping venture! Thank you for all that have offered your suggestions and stories.

And Jan, yes, I too would rather buy stamps than clothes. Which probably explains why I don't go out much! I'd have to sew myself an outfit made out of cardstock! Brads as buttons. White gel pen for stiching! Hey, if they can do it out of duct tape, I bet it could be done out of cardstock! (true....there is a contest in the States where they build prom clothes out of duct tape...can't remember the State).

MY GALLERY

Old 12-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #63
Pearl-ExPert

(hugs) $40 sounds good, I have a budget also and whenever I sell a card, I get to spend that extra money... you may want to do the same thing too!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #64
Stampin' Fool

Denise, I feel for you.

About four years ago, I went on a spending spree in an MMOG (massively multiplayer online game) I started playing. I was spending real money... on VIRTUAL clothes, shoes, makeup, hairstyles, etc!! It was wacky. I realized after about three months that I had spent over $1,000!!! That was a turning point for me. My husband never clued into it, luckily, because I handle the checking and credit cards in our household.

Once I woke up to how much money I was spending, I stopped buying things in that game and started figuring out how I could learn to create and sell virtual clothing in another MMOG. I bought an upgrade of Adobe Photoshop (I had an old copy a friend had given us) and taught myself to use it. I started selling items and managed to recoup all of the money I'd spent, and then some. I also gained the joy of creating something artistic in which I took pride. I don't play much anymore, but I still have items for sale in the second MMOG and cash out around $250 per year without any outlay of funds at this point.

I chose my username on SCS (AlternateReality) because the world of papercrafts, like MMOGS, is a place where we can surround ourselves with whatever beautiful and/or fanciful creations we want and ignore reality. I can choose to clean my house... or I can create a card. I can do laundry and cook dinner... or I can spend time playing in a MMOG. I think crafting helps us escape from the harsher aspects of our reality, and we're willing to pay for that escape. And obviously some of us are willing to pay A LOT.

I go through periods where I definitely spend too much on crafting supplies, and then I try to recognize it and cut back. I don't buy a lot of stuff from SU!, I must admit, because I hate Multi-level Marketing Schemes, and that's basically what SU! is. I do love SU!'s cardstock, but their stamps aren't that exciting. My true temptation comes when I step into Joanns, Michaels, and my LSS's: the beautiful DPs, the inks, the glitter and templates and punches and embellies and, and, and... *pant, pant, pant* Heh, well, you get the picture.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger about overspending on a hobby, most all of us have been there. Don't beat yourself up about it too much, and don't feel like a bad person because of making a mistake in your spending habits. Life will go on, and you will figure this out.

Hang in there!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #65
Hardware Hotshot

I've been in your shoes and it is humbling! But now you have good insight about a budget, a supportive spouse, a darn nice gallery!

Look at it as a lesson learned the hard way (which are the kind we remember more!)

We should set up some kind of intervention show and sell it to the networks.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Old 12-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #66
ADW
Inking Addict

How honest of you to admit! I can relate!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:19 AM   #67
Crimping Master

Quote:

I had to beg him to do this...he thought I was going to far. But we have set an amount (yearly) that I can spend in 1 month or over 12 months. It's up to me. BUT, he will check our account regularly, our credit cards and if he sees any debit going through, I cough up the receipt so he sees where I spent. I am giving him all the receipts and he is adding them up for me. Sounds harsh and Big-Brotherish and he was not very willing to do it...said I'd be ok. But I know I won't be ok. Maybe for a few months, but I know I will go to my old spending ways. So I begged him to be tough and to keep his watch on me. I feel more in control with his help. I'm glad I started this thread; it was very helpful for me and I feel I'm on a new and good stamping venture! Thank you for all that have offered your suggestions and stories.

And Jan, yes, I too would rather buy stamps than clothes. Which probably explains why I don't go out much! I'd have to sew myself an outfit made out of cardstock! Brads as buttons. White gel pen for stiching! Hey, if they can do it out of duct tape, I bet it could be done out of cardstock! (true....there is a contest in the States where they build prom clothes out of duct tape...can't remember the State).

Oh that was so funny! "Sew myself an outfit made out of cardstock". I think it should be the next SCS challenge!

I am still LOL

Thanks for the grins and giggles

Coletta
Old 12-04-2007, 06:16 AM   #68
Polyshrink Goddess

Love this thread and thanks to all for sharing the pain. When I first started 6 years ago I did so with scrappin. I made three albums for Christmas presents. That in my mind was legit!! Right??? When the cc bill came in my darling DH sat me down and said "I need to know how in Gods name you spent this much money on paper"? WHen I saw the total I could not breath. He then very graciously asked me to get my purse and give him my cc. I did so with my tail between my legs like a dog who had been shamed from doin his biness on the fine new carpet. He gave me a budget and said we have to stick to this. And I have done my best to do so. It has been the best thing that has happened to me. Cause my name is Menda and I am a addict!!!!!!!! I have told any one who will listen that: When I was in my twenties (51 now) I did my fair share of the drug thing. Pot being the one. We say alot of times around here Did you ever think you'd live to see the day. Well, I never thought I'd live to see the day pot would be cheaper than paper I ain't goin back to the good ole days, therefore I must live with the fact that paper and all that goes with that is my addiction. I must be a responsible addict. Now, that said am I? Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but I have acknowledged there is a problem and I work on it every day. Here's to all of us who are trying to be RESPONSIBLE ADDICTS!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:22 AM   #69
Crimping Master

I feel guilty too sometimes. I find myself not buying other things cuz I'd rather have SB stuff. I do give myself a budget each month. If you can believe $25. I am trying so hard to use the things I have. The important thing is that you recognize this is bothering you and you can accomplish much more from this point. I have a GF who is a SU rep. She buys SU to keep her status there. She can not afford to do this. Really. I know her well, it like a complusion or something. In her case it is pure bondage. I feel so sorry for her. I am glad you posted your feelings and hope you are feeling better.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:32 AM   #70
Mad Swapper

Default Budgeting my money

I had the same wake up call a year ago because my DH pointed out I was spending way too much money on crafting. We sat down and discussed our budget and agreed on how much we each can spend a month on MAD MOney. Now that he is retired we have a limited income and have to cut corners. Yuck!!! We decided I can spent X dollars a month as mad money with no questions asked. It worked for me because now I am more careful how I spent my mad money. DH has me post everything in Microsoft Money software so that I know where I stand and how much more I have to spend for the month. If I have a big expenditure I can use next months money but have to wait to get anything for the 2 months. To save money I stopped all magazine subscriptions. I hope this helps.

Vivian Swain
My SU Web Site
Old 12-04-2007, 06:49 AM   #71
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MendaView Post
Here's to all of us who are trying to be RESPONSIBLE ADDICTS!!!!!!!
AMEN!!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:57 AM   #72
Crimping Master

Must be that time of year as I am coming to terms with the guilt of overspending..and hiding it too. For me it's almost like a pattern I get into...I'll be "good" for a while then, whammo it hits again...I know the choice to spend or not spend is entirely up to me.

How much DID you spend? Like the other posted who quoted Dr Phil, "we can't change what we don't acknowledge". I've got a cc with $1400 on it that hubby has no clue about "yet", and I can't live like this anymore. My day of reckoning is coming very soon, just trying to gain the courage...know what I mean?

As you have seen, you are NOT alone. How much DID you spend?

Old 12-04-2007, 07:02 AM   #73
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by maconscrapperView Post
I feel guilty too sometimes. I find myself not buying other things cuz I'd rather have SB stuff. I do give myself a budget each month. If you can believe $25. I am trying so hard to use the things I have. The important thing is that you recognize this is bothering you and you can accomplish much more from this point. I have a GF who is a SU rep. She buys SU to keep her status there. She can not afford to do this. Really. I know her well, it like a complusion or something. In her case it is pure bondage. I feel so sorry for her. I am glad you posted your feelings and hope you are feeling better.
Calling it a compulsion and bondage hits it right on the nose.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #74
Polyshrink Goddess

A few weeks ago I saw a card in a magazine that I HAD to make. But of course it would have entailed buying supplies I don't have. I figured "buy it on ATRS and take advantage of their sale." But I decided to wait for a week and see if I still felt strongly. The urge passed and I figured out how I could make the card with what I already have. It's not exactly like the one in the magazine, but what the heck.

My point being, if you feel like the world will end if you don't own something, wait a few days. If the urge is still as strong, buy it. But I think you'll find that you decide the world will still go 'round if you don't own it.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #75
Hardware Hotshot

Only words of encouragement here. Apparently we have all been where you are to some degree. Look at all the acknowlegements from all who have responded.

Another way to ad to your "budget" is to receive your other presents during the year like your birthday present could be a gift certificate.

My in-laws give me a HL gift certificate every year. It always adds to my "budget" a little.

We recently went thru a lifestyle change for us and now with only one income I had to challenge myself to use what I have. Now I love bling, so I went thru all my bling and gathered it up in one place--even the strays that end up in my desk drawer and other odd places. I have it out in a big glass dish that I never use so now I know how much bling I have. I did have more than what I thought.

You are a brave soul and I commend you for posting here such a personal thing. You have helped others who were too shy to respond, I know you have. You should make your sweet hubby a spectacular card.

Hugs, hugs and more hugs to you. Chin up! You can not be creative while crying those sad/mad tears --only in glad ones.

I sure hope this doesn't come off as "preachy" it was not written with that intent in mind. I've actually learned a lot from others who have responded.
Proud mom of 2 soldiers-
Old 12-04-2007, 08:23 AM   #76
Die Cut Diva

Thank you Denise for starting this thread. As you can see, you definitely are not alone. I have cupboards full of "I just gotta have this" and there it sits "unopened and unused". I have spent thousands of $$$$ on supplies - lots of which I don't even know I have.

My new philosophy is much like pammer - I'm not buying anything until half of what I already have is gone. My intentions are to make a card with each and every stamp in my cupboards. If I don't like them - I'm getting rid of them. I absolutely am not allowed to buy another stamp set until half of mine are gone. I don't care how gorgeous, cute, or practical any of the new ones are - I'm not going to buy them!!!

I have gotten really tough on myself - and my husband is one that doesn't care how much I spend on my hobbies - but I know how out of control I have become - and I'm sure he would have a fit if he actually knew how much I have spent (I don't have a clue how much I have spent - I'm afraid to figure it out).

You have helped many people here with starting this thread. THANK YOU.
2011 pages Jan 5/10; Feb 4/10; Mar 16/10; Apr 31/10; May 29/10; JUN 15/10; YTD 100/120
My Gallery
Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #77
Die Cut Diva

I am also afraid to figure out how much I have spent over the last year ... or two years ... or three years ... the number would be horrifying ... and I am in the same boat, a lot of it is on my credit card ... hubby doesnt look at the credit card bills ... I HAVE to take control and cut back on my buying. I am not saying that I am going to STOP spending money on this hobby, but I have to seriously cut back. I find that this website (SCS) doesnt help me out because there are so many enabler posts and I just HAVE to see what all the hoopla is about each and every time! If only I didnt look, I wouldnt know what I was missing! I really wish that I could control myself ... and I have to learn how to ... so Denise, YOU ARE DEFINITELY NOT ALONE!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #78
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stampingView Post
I I find that this website (SCS) doesnt help me out because there are so many enabler posts and I just HAVE to see what all the hoopla is about each and every time! If only I didnt look, I wouldnt know what I was missing!
I know it is so hard when there are so many wondeful things out here, but I am finding that I am using SCS now to help me use the things I already have. I will look through the gallery ideas for the stamp sets I have and or do the challenges based on what I have.

I like what Paula O said above : 'My point being, if you feel like the world will end if you don't own something, wait a few days. If the urge is still as strong, buy it. But I think you'll find that you decide the world will still go 'round if you don't own it.'

It is becoming easier to do that as time goes by, and I just have to keep reminding myself that I don't 'need' everything.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #79
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by se_tacstamperView Post
Must be that time of year as I am coming to terms with the guilt of overspending..and hiding it too. For me it's almost like a pattern I get into...I'll be "good" for a while then, whammo it hits again...I know the choice to spend or not spend is entirely up to me.

How much DID you spend? Like the other posted who quoted Dr Phil, "we can't change what we don't acknowledge". I've got a cc with $1400 on it that hubby has no clue about "yet", and I can't live like this anymore. My day of reckoning is coming very soon, just trying to gain the courage...know what I mean?

As you have seen, you are NOT alone. How much DID you spend?
I didn't mean to ask how much you spent twice...in my original post, I tried to cut and paste part of that and the question stayed....sorry!!

Old 12-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #80
Die Cut Diva

So many wonderful things are out there, and I want them all! I like the idea of a seperate account that is just for my stamping hobby. It is far too easy to just buy whatever I want.

The sad part is I have tons of stuff I don't even use. I've been trying to go through all my stamp sets and make cards with all of them. I put a post it note in the storage case and then write down the different projects I have used for them. I figure I need to use each set at least eight times, eight different projects to make it worth buying. So before I buy a set I try and think about how versatile it will be.

I like the in colors this year and I have bought three. I am so afraid of running out of paper I always buy the three colors I love. I am not doing the in color thing again. You are right it is a money sucker upper. I am just going to concentrate on the 48 regulars.