Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-25-2007, 04:09 PM   #41
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen70 View Post
I heard this recently and was shocked. I cruise the gallery almost daily and comment on what I like no matter how many comments it gets. I've found many new fabulous stampers this way.

But I have to ask an honest question. Please don't flame me. Do some dirty girls cruise the gallery less and comment on cards less after becoming dirty?
This is a good question, Jen. Since becoming a Dirty Girl in May, I have purposefully stayed out of the galleries so that I will not subconsciously case someone in my work for the Design Team. When I do go into the galleries, it is for inspiration for my classes as a Stampin' Up! demonstrator. When I see artwork that catches my eye, I always leave a comment.

When my tour of duty is over in October for the Design Team, I fully intend to cruise the galleries more and participate in the weekly challenges again--I've been missing them--especially yours!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-25-2007, 04:51 PM   #42
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette View Post
This is a good question, Jen. Since becoming a Dirty Girl in May, I have purposefully stayed out of the galleries so that I will not subconsciously case someone in my work for the Design Team. When I do go into the galleries, it is for inspiration for my classes as a Stampin' Up! demonstrator. When I see artwork that catches my eye, I always leave a comment.

When my tour of duty is over in October for the Design Team, I fully intend to cruise the galleries more and participate in the weekly challenges again--I've been missing them--especially yours!
That makes total sense to me!
I agree with blogs taking up more of my viewing time. I try to comment on cards that catch my eye as well. But I feel like I miss out on a ton!
I just have to say that JulieHRR commented on one of my cards during the Dare to be Dirty challenge, and it made my day, week, month and year! I even posted on my blog about it.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:55 PM   #43
Stazon Splitcoast

Please don't feel badly if your cards don't get as many comments as you think they deserve and this goes for clean, dirty and in between stampers!!

The number of comments is truly NOT related to the quality of the work -- given the huge huge number of items uploaded every single day.

I think we've all had the experience of being hugely pleased with a card that we've made only to see it totally ignored (either in the galleries or on our blogs) and having a card that we barely want to acknowledge as our own only to see a bunch of folks love it.

The public is a fickle, busy group!!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #44
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen70 View Post
I heard this recently and was shocked. I cruise the gallery almost daily and comment on what I like no matter how many comments it gets. I've found many new fabulous stampers this way.
Jen,
You really rock at doing that! It seems like everytime I look at a card in the gallery I run into one of your positive comments!! That's really awesome!
Hugs,
Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #45
Sassy Shani

Bwahahahahhahahah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanTInk View Post
It wasn't me!

That was Shanon!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:42 PM   #46
Sassy Shani

<----is going to be 100% honest here. (shocking, I know).
I will NOT comment on a card when someone "seeks validation". I cruise the gallery and like Jeanne said....if I "click" it...I comment.
A HUGE pet peeve of mine is when peeps start a thread or post in a thread seeking validiation.
I will comment DD or non-DD. This is a huge place and I honestly feel there are tons of peeps who are DD worthy and their day will come.
I (OBVIOUSLY) do not upload to my gallery because I am happy with my work and just keep my pics in my own personal gallery. TRUST ME...there ain't nuttin' worth casing or commenting on anyways.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:44 PM   #47
Stazon Splitcoast

Personally, I do the "click on it, comment" method. Thanks for the data, Julie HRR, regarding 1000 uploads per day. WOW we have a lot of shared love to be inspired by. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to upload!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Old 08-26-2007, 04:24 AM   #48
Crimping Master

What gets me is that some of my cards get loads of views but hardly anybody leaves a comment good or bad (well hopefully not too bad!!! lol) but if somebody has taken the time, as many others have said, then surely they can leave some sort of comment to let the recipient know if they like there card. I do.

My blog - http://sillybirds.blogspot.com/
Old 08-26-2007, 06:07 AM   #49
Stampin' Fool

I have been out of the loop on here all summer, but I have to admit that when I do get time to peruse the galleries, if the card I like has a TON of comments, I usually don't pile on. But if one I look at looks neglected (less than 4 or 5 comments), I'll leave one. However, most of the time, by time in the gallery could be called a "drive by"--I don't have time to leave comments in anybody's galleries, I just barely have time to look at them. There's a line 5 deep behind me to get on the computer here (Webkinz to feed, Dave Matthews Band sets to look at, golf stats to check out, MySpace comments to read--ahh, the joys of a large family!).

Julie, thank you for the stats on how many cards are posted every day! It warms my heart to know that all over the world, people are simultaneously being creative! And if I can wax poetic here for a moment, whether we comment on our stuff or not, we are all connected by that creative thread. Aww...that's precious!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #50
Die Cut Diva

I'll admit that I'm bad. I rarely comment in the fan club section because I don't feel I'm in the same league as them, and I'm not deserving of their time to read a message from me. In my mind I think they only want to hear from new and old DD's, and not the little folk like me.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:02 AM   #51
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbook4ever View Post
I'll admit that I'm bad. I rarely comment in the fan club section because I don't feel I'm in the same league as them, and I'm not deserving of their time to read a message from me. In my mind I think they only want to hear from new and old DD's, and not the little folk like me.
I had made up my mind that I wasn’t going to say much in this thread, well because I’m really the reason it got started. I wasn’t complaining about the lack of comments, but merely stated to a friend that she had more comments on her card that I did. Now here comes the tricky part . . . and scrapbook4ever your statement above bothers me. BECAUSE, this was the reason this whole mess got started. I and another fellow DT member crashed a thread the other day. One of the girls on the thread was intimidated by us being there and was *skeered* as she so said. I was trying to make her understand, that we are not special, we are normal people just like her, and that when we decide to wear panties, we put them on the same way she does.

We like to chat, laugh, browse the gallery and stamp – just like everyone else. Depending on the meaning of normal, and that is a wide berth – because normal to me is 10 fingers and 9 toes - we are normal just like you. And as I said the other day, we get nervous too. Yes we might be DD, but that first upload into that first gallery is very nerve racking. We are stamping for you, the Fan Club Members who support this site. I found myself looking at everything I did under a microscope wondering if it was good enough or even worthy enough. So you see, we all feel the same way at times, just maybe at a different intensity.

There are no little folk here – just stampers!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #52
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSherry View Post
I had made up my mind that I wasn’t going to say much in this thread, well because I’m really the reason it got started. I wasn’t complaining about the lack of comments, but merely stated to a friend that she had more comments on her card that I did. Now here comes the tricky part . . . and scrapbook4ever your statement above bothers me. BECAUSE, this was the reason this whole mess got started. I and another fellow DT member crashed a thread the other day. One of the girls on the thread was intimidated by us being there and was *skeered* as she so said. I was trying to make her understand, that we are not special, we are normal people just like her, and that when we decide to wear panties, we put them on the same way she does.

We like to chat, laugh, browse the gallery and stamp – just like everyone else. Depending on the meaning of normal, and that is a wide berth – because normal to me is 10 fingers and 9 toes - we are normal just like you. And as I said the other day, we get nervous too. Yes we might be DD, but that first upload into that first gallery is very nerve racking. We are stamping for you, the Fan Club Members who support this site. I found myself looking at everything I did under a microscope wondering if it was good enough or even worthy enough. So you see, we all feel the same way at times, just maybe at a different intensity.

**applaud** well said Sherry

there is a very fine line between"hobby" and "mental illness"
Old 08-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #53
hdp
SCS BRAK Coordinator

I would like to take the time to add my 2 cents. When I sign on to SCS every day, the first thing I do is go to the gallery and leave comments on at least 5 cards. I don't care who made the cards, if there is something I like about the card, I will leave a comment. This morning when I signed on I must have commented on at least 10 to 12 cards.

When I got home from church, I read the favorites ending this week thread, because I love to see the cards listed. I went through and opened all of the favorites that had been posted. I was amazed at how many cards were there that I had not seen in the gallery. They were beautiful cards, that would have received a comment from me, but they didn't, because I didn't see them when they were originally posted to the gallery.

I will admit I like to receive comments on my cards, but that doesn't make me love the card any more or any less. I won't send out a card just because it didn't receive any comments.

If you want to take the fun out of something, just turn it into a contest. Commenting on cards should not be a contest. When it becomes a contest of who gets more comments than someone else, it is no longer fun.

If you see a card you like, no matter who made the card, leave a comment.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #54
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanon View Post
I will NOT comment on a card when someone "seeks validation". I cruise the gallery and like Jeanne said....if I "click" it...I comment.
A HUGE pet peeve of mine is when peeps start a thread or post in a thread seeking validiation.
I will comment DD or non-DD. This is a huge place and I honestly feel there are tons of peeps who are DD worthy and their day will come.
I (OBVIOUSLY) do not upload to my gallery because I am happy with my work and just keep my pics in my own personal gallery. TRUST ME...there ain't nuttin' worth casing or commenting on anyways.
bahawahaaaaa! ROTFL!!!

I am not seeking validation, I am not a dirty girl! I get plenty of validation, that sometimes I even scratch my head over!!!

This thread was basicallly to remind people that those greats are people too and if you like a card enough to open it, why not leave a comment?

That is it, nothing more!

Have a great day
Old 08-26-2007, 11:24 AM   #55
Sassy Shani

My comment was NOT directed towards you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammie View Post
bahawahaaaaa! ROTFL!!!

I am not seeking validation, I am not a dirty girl! I get plenty of validation, that sometimes I even scratch my head over!!!

This thread was basicallly to remind people that those greats are people too and if you like a card enough to open it, why not leave a comment?

That is it, nothing more!

Have a great day
Old 08-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #56
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Speak for yourself, Sherry!!!
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Old 08-26-2007, 07:06 PM   #57
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanon View Post
Girl-you have some case worthy stuff,

but as to Sherry are those your big girl panties some refer too?????? Thanks for sharing with us and putting it in perspective. You don't skeer me but I am in awe of your work.
My Facebook Page
Old 08-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #58
Pearl-ExPert

Default for scrapbook4ever

This post by you really stunned me. I can't believe you think your comments are any less worthy than anyone else's on this site. As BadSherry said, they are just people.
Who stamp! Yes, they stamp well, but so. So do a lot of other people on this site. Why would you not think that anyone DD would not like any comment from anyone who does not stamp as well. If that was the case, they'd get no comments at all, except from other DD girls. I'm sorry. I still can't wrap my head around why you feel this way.

Do you know that I PM the dirty girls? If I have questions or if I really like a card or want them to see something particularly special I've made....I PM them! And they always PM me back. And I expect that they would because they are nice women!

Please try not to feel this way. It is so unjustified.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Old 08-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #59
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Here is my "HUG" to all I admire {{S Q U E E Z E}}

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
For Sale
Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #60
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane617 View Post
Girl-you have some case worthy stuff,

but as to Sherry are those your big girl panties some refer too?????? Thanks for sharing with us and putting it in perspective. You don't skeer me but I am in awe of your work.
not necessarily

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAA
Old 08-26-2007, 09:54 PM   #61
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denidill View Post
This post by you really stunned me. I can't believe you think your comments are any less worthy than anyone else's on this site. As BadSherry said, they are just people.
Yes, they stamp well, but so do a lot of other people on this site. Why would you not think that anyone DD would not like any comment from anyone who does not stamp as well. If that was the case, they'd get no comments at all, except from other DD girls. I'm sorry. I still can't wrap my head around why you feel this way.

Do you know that I PM the dirty girls? If I have questions or if I really like a card or want them to see something particularly special I've made....I PM them! And they always PM me back. And I expect that they would because they are nice women!

Please try not to feel this way. It is so unjustified.
I completely agree
Old 08-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by okstamper View Post
I am a newbie to this whole stamping thingy and when I post to upload my cards, I appreciate the views but sometimes I would like a comment of them. I work hard at my cards, and sometimes it takes me awhile to get a card done. My friends and my DH like my cards too. They just see the hard work that comes along with it. My DH says also not to worry about the comments as long as YOU like it..I think it would be great to leave comments on us newbies as well as the DD's.

Bonnie
FYI: I am not posting my cards to get comments. It's not about the comments, its the joy of stamping that all the women on here have in common. I also like to leave comments on the DD's and get tips on how to do things. Thanks!
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Old 08-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #63
Pearl-ExPert

i think, and this is just my two cents here, that commenting has moved from the galleries to our/their blogs... i don't really cruise the gallery anymore, unless i've participated in a challenge and am looking at the other cards uploaded that day. i mainly cruise blogs via my google reader, and that takes up a lot of time!!
This thing of commenting has come up a NUMBER of times in the forums and it's always comes down to the same thing, how to get more comments?!?!
like juliehrr said, it's not about the comments, it's about the work. just like in high school, and at the office and everywhere else there are fads and popular girls, and some of those girls average 80+ comments a day because they're the "in" thing right now and they do all of the challenges right away or whatever... but if you look around at the gals not doing challenges and just uploading to share their work, you'll find some real gems. girls like starofmay and pinefeather have beautiful galleries with a lot of cards missing because they're being published, but many of their cards have like 4 or 5 comments.. does that matter? no.. if they participated in the daily challenges their comments would go up, but does that matter? no. I try to not care about comments, and just do this craft for me. we have to remember why we all started this craft, and it wasn't to get tangled up in a popularity contest.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #64
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzytobi View Post
i think, and this is just my two cents here, that commenting has moved from the galleries to our/their blogs... i don't really cruise the gallery anymore, unless i've participated in a challenge and am looking at the other cards uploaded that day. i mainly cruise blogs via my google reader, and that takes up a lot of time!!
This thing of commenting has come up a NUMBER of times in the forums and it's always comes down to the same thing, how to get more comments?!?!
like juliehrr said, it's not about the comments, it's about the work. just like in high school, and at the office and everywhere else there are fads and popular girls, and some of those girls average 80+ comments a day because they're the "in" thing right now and they do all of the challenges right away or whatever... but if you look around at the gals not doing challenges and just uploading to share their work, you'll find some real gems. girls like starofmay and pinefeather have beautiful galleries with a lot of cards missing because they're being published, but many of their cards have like 4 or 5 comments.. does that matter? no.. if they participated in the daily challenges their comments would go up, but does that matter? no. I try to not care about comments, and just do this craft for me. we have to remember why we all started this craft, and it wasn't to get tangled up in a popularity contest.
Thank you!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #65
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I'm not scared of you.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:35 PM   #66
Pearl-ExPert

I think as long as SCS continues with comments, threads like this are going to come up again and again and again...I don't know what the answer is.

It will always be a popularity contest on SCS. If you want comments, you must do the challenges and you must do them on the day they are announced, if at all possible. Then you will get comments, if that is important to you. If you just upload a card any old time or leave a challenge till much later, you will get only a few if you are not well known. Fact of life on SCS with 1000 uploads a day.

I wonder what the environment on SCS would be like if they took out the comments? Not saying they should do this, but it makes one curious.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Old 08-27-2007, 06:14 AM   #67
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think it's all about the popularity contest. It's about validation. Why?

1. We spent our time making it.
2. It may be going to someone who doesn't know the value of a homemade card.
3. It's nice to know other people enjoyed it before or after the recipient threw it away.

I know we have all seen lots of threads about comments and how to get them. That is not this thread. This is about DD girls getting less comments after becoming dirty.

As far as blogs, I don't get why that would stop people from seeing the SCS gallery. This is a one stop see it all place. You see so much more here. I visit a few blogs once in awhile, but I view the gallery almost every day. I don't want to miss a thing!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 AM   #68
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiemama View Post
I sent cards to relatives for over a year, lovely homemade cards, and not one person said, hey, I see you are making cards. Later, I found out, they were saving them in their underwear drawers, as they were considered so special.

Never underestimate the impact you are making!!
OMG, you are sooo right. My sis even frames my Christmas cards to hang around her house as decorations for the holidays! You just never know the impact of a piece of mail that isn't junk or a bill, and that you actually made with your own little hands. Maybe a card gets neglected here in the gallery, but it's powerful stuff when you send it off to do its job!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #69
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbook4ever View Post
I felt like I was getting an attack of chest pain as I read this post. I do not care if you ever comment on a card of mine....but I do care very much that you view yourself as having no value on this site. {{{{EVERYONE}}}} has value. Value is not measured by our level of stamping skills. This is a community for people to share what they love to do. Although I feel it is a huge privilege to have the opportunity to be involved with the Dirty Dozen....in the big scheme of life...it is just a place to play a little harder with a group of girls to bring something special to the community. Yes....I still think I am a girl at 56....I know..you can laugh! But....there are no queens or royalty on the team that I know of. Just girls doing what they love. If given a choice between being involved with SCS on the whole or the Dirty Dozen...I would take SCS. I love this site and how much it's availabilty to me and the wonderful friends on the site have helped me grow into a better person and stamper.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #70
Pearl-ExPert

yes, comments are about validation of work done, but on SCS the comment thing is a bit crazy.. you go over to twopeas and the most comments i've seen on a layout or card or whatever is MAX 20 comments...

and, in response to this thread, as a whole. i probably look and comment on a DD card FIRST... lol.. i can spot those beauties a mile away..
Old 08-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #71
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by artlikefastfood View Post
I
Julie, thank you for the stats on how many cards are posted every day! It warms my heart to know that all over the world, people are simultaneously being creative! And if I can wax poetic here for a moment, whether we comment on our stuff or not, we are all connected by that creative thread. Aww...that's precious!
Yeah! Well said!!! We are all going to do a group hug now!!!!
We are all connected by ribbon, beads, inkpads, and cardstock!
Now Go Forth and Create...
and as for Julie HRR no more ugly posts!!!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you’ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me :)
Old 08-28-2007, 01:50 PM   #72
Stazon Splitcoast

Just dropping in to give the Dirty Gals a big, giant, grizzly bear size hug!!!!

I love you all!!!!!

and to all those dyin' to be dirty...hugs to all of you!!!!!

I may not always leave a comment...but if I click on your card....that means I like it...I really like it! (she says in her best Sally Field voice!)
Old 08-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #73
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm feelin so streesed today with all the deadlines to meet that the "group Hug" is just the perfect answer!!

Many thanks to all who come and visit my small part of the craftin world. I love you, even if you don't leave a comment!

MYBlog
Designer for Deedee's Digis
Old 08-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #74
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not scared of the DD's either..i think there are many. many out there..even newbies who inspire me with their cards.
sure i love getting comments, cause it means a certain card of mine stood out to someone...so i feel i must of done something right.
I don't think i would ever use the word "awe" tho..lol.
Awe to me was the Grand Canyon, the Rain Forest in Hawaii..well you get the pic..lol.
loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #75
Gabfest Goddess

DD girls ROCK!!!! What makes me say "hmmmmmm" is when their cards are Fav - 114 (or so) and the only have 2 pages of comments! At least comment "WOW - into favs"

That being said - I need to spend time in the gallery - and will do once I stamp for the first time in a week - ahhhh -

DD girls - I REALLY appreciate you (even before you were DD )