Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Lightbulb How is the Stamping/Scrapping World Overseas

The one thing I keep seeing over and over is that the industry is in trouble maybe in US but not overseas, I see this in other groups and forums.. I love my British magazines with instructions on making cards, pages and crafts. If you do some research it is more popular in overseas then in US and I think they reason being is that Americans are fickle and always tend to do what is popular. What are you thoughts?

Erica Sandwall
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I don't think the explanation is that Americans are fickle - I suspect hobby spending is down across the board during tough economic times and stamping/scrapping is just reflecting that trend.

I'm in the UK and I know Scrap 365 (the dedicated scrapping mag and sister to Craft Stamper) has just ceased publication. Without being on the inside of the industry, either as a retailer or publisher, it's a bit difficult to know for sure but I'd say stamping/scrapping here in the UK is doing OK rather than expanding. I suspect there's a trend towards more and more online shopping for supplies rather than there being "bricks and mortar" stockists of many of the things we like to play with. We've never really had the big craft stores (like JoAnn's Michaels etc) so we don't have quite the same barometer but I suspect any craft store now pretty much has to have an online presence alongside its bricks and mortar offering if it's going to be viable. Papercrafting is certainly popular in some other European countries (The Netherlands, for example) but again, I have no idea which way spending trends are headed there.

My blog
Old 03-22-2015, 03:05 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I don't think the explanation is that Americans are fickle - I suspect hobby spending is down across the board during tough economic times and stamping/scrapping is just reflecting that trend.

I'm in the UK and I know Scrap 365 (the dedicated scrapping mag and sister to Craft Stamper) has just ceased publication. Without being on the inside of the industry, either as a retailer or publisher, it's a bit difficult to know for sure but I'd say stamping/scrapping here in the UK is doing OK rather than expanding. I suspect there's a trend towards more and more online shopping for supplies rather than there being "bricks and mortar" stockists of many of the things we like to play with. We've never really had the big craft stores (like JoAnn's Michaels etc) so we don't have quite the same barometer but I suspect any craft store now pretty much has to have an online presence alongside its bricks and mortar offering if it's going to be viable. Papercrafting is certainly popular in some other European countries (The Netherlands, for example) but again, I have no idea which way spending trends are headed there.
I think you hit the nail on the head with all that. In Australia its the same, I wouldnt say its declining just internet will outdo shops especially when you look at the value of our dollar and often its still cheaper to buy overseas than through the shops.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:43 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I live in Australia and when I go to dedicated Papercrafting shows, they are absolutely jam-packed with people and that hasn't changed at all in the past few years. In fact, some of the Traders used to have bricks & mortar stores but now have online stores instead & go to all the craft shows which is a BIG part of their business & they travel to country towns and go interstate frequently to do these shows. I have met cardmakers & scrapbookers at these shows that have flown over from another state to be there - even New Zealand! They seem to be very passionate about their craft too as am I

Scrapbooking/cardmaking stores have disappeared at an alarming rate over the past 5 years and there are none close to me now when there used to be 5 - but in speaking to a lady who still has an actual store but planning on closing & going online, that it is more due to the high cost of rent/wages/utilities (electricity is very expensive where I live) making it just unaffordable - plus the pressure of not being to able to stock the latest items quick enough before people buy them online instead (& it's cheaper). The Store owner just can't make enough profit to make it worth the hours that she puts into the business hence her decision to go just online instead once her lease is up.

We are spoiled for choice for cardmaking/scrapbooking magazines - lots of Aussie ones - plus we get the British ones which are the ones that I buy because they are more suited to my cardmaking style (and they have GREAT freebies!). So, I don't think interest is waning here but I have noticed a definite shift towards Mixed Media, Art Journalling and Planners.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I hear so much about the British paper crafting magazines. Is there a place we can buy them in the us. Even online
Old 03-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperkidsView Post
I hear so much about the British paper crafting magazines. Is there a place we can buy them in the us. Even online
try Barnes & Noble.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
try Barnes & Noble.
That's where I get mine, though I think Joann's carries many of them as well. You just can't use coupons on them, and I don't think they are sold online by either of those stores.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

Barnes and Noble carries a few different British crafting magazines in my area.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

I have seen them on www.issuu.com and that's where I read them plus if you join your library they have access to read magazines on Zinio- free= another way i get to read the overseas magazines. I do agree that brick and mortar stores are going away because of high rate prices even in USA. My town which has a major university in it West Virginia University has extremely high rent prices, so more and more stores are closing and going completely online.

Erica Sandwall
Old 03-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Tazmom, thank you so much for introducing me to Issuu-----I just read the March 2015 issue of Stamp Crafter, my absolute favorite stamping mag!!
Old 03-23-2015, 04:18 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Other than Stamp Crafter, What are the names of other non-US stamp magazines?
Karen S
Old 03-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by karentomView Post
Karen S
Unless Scrappykat knows something I don't, I think she meant to type Craft Stamper as the name of the magazine.

My blog
Old 03-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oops! Yes, that's exactly what I meant lol
Old 03-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #14  
CBC Lady Violet

Angelnorth, I would be curious to know what you think of Create & Craft the channel? Do you think it has helped spread the craft & make it seem more accessible to those who wouldn't have tried it, or do you think it is hurting the industry and the brick & mortar stores?
We don't get it here of course, but I have occasionally watched it online.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

When I was abroad last year, I visited "art" stores in Iceland and Spain.

Iceland - Tools and supplies were MUCH more expensive than in the US.
I saw some single Stampendous stamps for 3 Euros. each. The'd have been in the $1 bin in the US. Nicely cut Icelandic stamps were very expensive - singles for what I would pay for a Stampin Up Stamp set. It would appear they do more knitting, and other crafts some that we don't even have, than Scrapbooking or Card making.

Barcelona Spain. In our block, there were two office supply stores carrying paper crafting supplies. The displays were outrageously yummy - not just racks of this and that like Michaels, but proper color coordinated enticing displays. The prices were crazy and other than specialty papers, they had the same tools that we buy here. I think shopping there is much more geared to walking down the street and buying in some of the multitude of small shops. There was a plethora of everything from wine shops, chocolates shops, clothing boutiques, knitting shops, etc. and office supply / craft stores and they all seemed to be fairly prosperous. The combination of business necessities and art will probably help them stay in business.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

If you have Roku box you can watch the Create & Craft the channel on it. I do when there isn't anything on. I like it a lot.

Erica Sandwall
Old 03-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by karentomView Post
Karen S
The British ones that we have here where I live (in Australia) are:

Cardmaking & Papercraft
Quick Cards Made Easy
Papercraft Inspirations (there is an Australian version of this mag too)
Docrafts Creativity (I can only get this one from a cardmaking/scrapbooking store in Australia who stock the Docrafts products)

I make alot of square cards which the British magazines have alot more of than the Australian/US magazines. Don't forget that the UK is metric & so is Australia so the measurements compared to the USA will be in centimetres and our basic card size is also different. HTH
Old 03-24-2015, 02:08 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnemoneView Post
Angelnorth, I would be curious to know what you think of Create & Craft the channel?
I don't watch it so I find it hard to say. I watched one show because an online buddy had made samples for it and convinced myself that TV that's there only to sell product really isn't for me! I loathe TV with advertising so I guess it was no surprise. I felt the demos were a bit shallow and if you didn't already know what you were doing or have an interest in the sort of crating being shown, you'd probably struggle to get similar results to the samples on show. Other shows might be different, though.

That said, it may well open things up to a different audience, just because people browsing shopping channels may well get intrigued and buy something they hadn't previously considered.

Something like the British Craft Network has more shows that are technique-heavy rather than simply promoting a particular product (although there are those, too).

My blog
Old 03-24-2015, 02:16 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post

Cardmaking & Papercraft
Quick Cards Made Easy
Docrafts Creativity (I can only get this one from a cardmaking/scrapbooking store in Australia who stock the Docrafts products)

I make alot of square cards which the British magazines have alot more of than the Australian/US magazines. Don't forget that the UK is metric & so is Australia so the measurements compared to the USA will be in centimetres and our basic card size is also different. HTH
All those magazines have something to recommend them but be aware that they're papercrafting magazines rather than stamping magazines, per se. They may feature some stamped projects but other things too. Quick Cards Made Easy in particular might feel a bit "basic" for anyone above an entry-level crafter.

The Docrafts magazine is their "in house" publication so that's why you only find it at Docrafts stockists, Jocelyn.

On sizes, if a project calls for measurements, I know Craft Stamper publishes both metric and imperial. The basic card size from a half sheet folded is slightly different - the US A2 is very slightly shorter and fatter than the metric A6 - but most designs on that format work on either size so if you see a card in a UK publication that you'd like to case, chances are it will work just fine on a regular US card base.

My blog
Old 03-24-2015, 03:06 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

I live in New Zealand. I think not only stamping/scrapping has seen a decline, but crafting in general. This is likely from a mix of high costs for B&M shops/ not enough business, less overall time available to craft, less interest in crafting in general. The last two points are really just observations of my life and my friends. I'm a student and have less time/money to craft. A friend of mine likes crafting but suffers from lack of money/time.
We only have spotlight/lincraft so it is always sad when a B&M store closes.
I can echo the fact that with some things it is still cheaper to buy from Amazon (if you want to wait), like the we are memory keepers punch boards can be had for approximately half store price even with currency exchanged. You just have to keep under the customs gst limit D:
Old 03-24-2015, 04:20 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post

Cardmaking & Papercraft
Quick Cards Made Easy
Docrafts Creativity
(I can only get this one from a cardmaking/scrapbooking store in Australia who stock the Docrafts products)

Thank You!
Karen S
Old 03-24-2015, 04:24 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonauraView Post
I live in New Zealand. I think not only stamping/scrapping has seen a decline, but crafting in general. This is likely from a mix of high costs for B&M shops/ not enough business, less overall time available to craft, less interest in crafting in general. The last two points are really just observations of my life and my friends. I'm a student and have less time/money to craft. A friend of mine likes crafting but suffers from lack of money/time.
We only have spotlight/lincraft so it is always sad when a B&M store closes.
I can echo the fact that with some things it is still cheaper to buy from Amazon (if you want to wait), like the we are memory keepers punch boards can be had for approximately half store price even with currency exchanged. You just have to keep under the customs gst limit D:
Its the Today's Special on HSN
Crafting Shows all day long!
Karen S
Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

In the last few years scrapbooking and cardmaking were really growing as a hobby in Indonesia, especially in the larger cities on Java. There is a chain store from Singapore that has opened in several locations in Indonesia, and they host manufacturer classes, retreats, etc.

Made With Love Indonesia

Found out recently that I would have had the opportunity to teach a marker class in Jakarta if we had stayed over there! Anyway, it's exciting to see the trend increasing over there, and a few Indonesian designers doing well on design teams too.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 03-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

My LSS in NYC (the only independent one) gets swamped with foreign buyers who get a lot of stuff. This has been helped since she got herself on the net so people know she is there. Same thing happens at the quilt store. It's the exchange rate. Much cheaper for them here.

Absolutely brick and mortar costs are killing the independents of any kind. Breaking my heart. NYC is losing them left and right for nail salons, bars, banks and chain stuff.

I see the same trend towards journals and mixed media. I think it's a mistake. They need more real beginner classes to boost the customer base. Just IMO.

I buy both places-from the store and online. Online is not always that much cheaper unless they are having a sale. Mfgs are selling at MFG prices. Joann's is good though but they dont have everything.

And how often do you buy up to hit the free ship level online? I do more than I should. Is that really saving us money? Is 20% if you are paying for shipping saving you?

I like stuff at Clarity in Britain, and Waltzingmouse...and some up in Canada like Kraftin Kimmie, Frog's Whiskers...I have to wait for real sales to help me get past the exchange rate.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:11 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I like stuff at Clarity in Britain, and Waltzingmouse...
Waltzingmouse now ship from the US as well so you can get your goodies faster if you order from them (I remember this because I usually forget to choose where I want my stamps shipped from on the order page and get the extra "please choose a location" message!)

My blog
Old 03-25-2015, 05:10 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Barnes and Noble and Joannes both carry the UK craft magazines. I have 2 of the subcriptions which are really goofy. Cardmaker and Paper Craft magazine and Quick cards can both be by subscription but for some reason you only get every other month and they are at least a month behind. I get the non included months at Joanns. I'm going to let my subscriptions expire and then just pick up the magazines at the store. They are still a month behind but they carry every month. The freebie's included with each magazine are amazing. I love every single one of them. Depending on the month you get either exclusive papers, stamps, dies or toppers. Sometimes a combo of papers and dies or dies and stamps. Totally AWESOME! Worth checking out. Magazines run approximately $11.99 in the U.S.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:08 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Most all local stores closed in Denver during the recession. Some closed due to Archiver's coming to nearby locations. Now with no Archiver's it is very difficult to find nice paper. I loved to go and browse, touch, feel and match things up. Both JoAnn and Michael's have cut down their paper selection to the bare bones. It seems jewelry making has taken over. I don't make jewelry but do shop that area for embellishing my papercrafts. I wish online stores would show the whole piece of paper that are in the tablets of paper. It is hard to know what you might like! Sadness if what I feel.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I feel your pain Ladyofcards...I really miss Archivers too. I'm not a Stampin up Demo but have you thought of getting a hold of a Demo for your papers? At least you can see and touch them since most Demos have alot of the papers for people to see. If you just google Stampin up and go to their main page it can help you find a Demo in your area. Just an Idea. Second Hobby Lobby has alot more papers than Michaels and Joanns do you have one of those nearby? We can't have a "SAD" Cardmaker! LOL
Old 03-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

I live in Northern Ireland and slowly one by one all our craft supply shops are closing down, buying it would appear is to be done on the internet, but it is not the same as seeing and touching the articles. I spoke to one owner who says the trend has swung back to knitting and sewing.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

This isn't exactly about crafting overseas but since magazines were mentioned. Stampington makes quite a few gorgeous magazines like Take Ten (10 minute card projects) and Stampers sampler (similar but more involved projects) and while other papercraft magazines are closing, they seem to be expanding. Maybe not in Papercrafts specifically but I know at least one magazine went from occasional release (maybe once or twice a year) to quarterly. They are expensive but I think they are worth it. They have mags on everything from paper and mixed media to dolls and aprons to a green mag that shows crafty ways to up cycle and jewelry. Definitely consider these mags when looking for something other than found at typical newsstands. I'm sure Barnes and Noble would carry them as Chapters/Indigo does in Canada. Or if you sign up for email updates from the Stampington website. You can wait for sales on the shipping and order the issues online. Somerset Life is one of my faves. A mix of inspiring photography and all sorts of crafts with lots of paper and jewelry.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

I found digital versions offered at
Scrap365 Scrap Digital Edition - Issue 001 | Pocketmags.com
Old 03-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazmomView Post
I have seen them on www.issuu.com and that's where I read them plus if you join your library they have access to read magazines on Zinio- free= another way i get to read the overseas magazines. I do agree that brick and mortar stores are going away because of high rate prices even in USA. My town which has a major university in it West Virginia University has extremely high rent prices, so more and more stores are closing and going completely online.
When I pulled up that website I had difficulty finding things. It was also scary because it already knew where I lived and was showing me publications from WI as well as other stuff. Seems there are back issues there too. So it's just what you get? Can you search for the current issue of things? TIA

Old 03-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #33  
Glitter Guru

I agree with some of you who have said people are fickle, but I also think people get so far in a hobby and then get bored, and if there aren't enough innovative new products, they get stale and give up. I am finding new inspiration by following some of the European stampers who are doing more mixed media on their cards, using products that are new to us in North America (eg. bister and brusho), etc.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:38 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
It was also scary because it already knew where I lived and was showing me publications from WI as well as other stuff.
There are a bunch of details that are readily available that provide sites like ISSU with "context" for your visit. Your IP address is the key one here and will have given the site your geographical location (not to the level of your street address but down to a small enough area that publications with "local interest" could be easily matched up). Sites are generally using details like that to tailor your experience so what you see is more relevant to you if there's a bucket load of content to choose from.

I don't use ISSU enough to be any use to you on search tips, I'm afraid. I do subscribe to one (Shakespeare) magazine there so I know I get regular e-mails from them about new publications that may be of interest. Again, they're profiling from information they can glean from browsing and subscription behaviour etc to try to offer me stuff that could tally with my interests.

My blog
Old 03-26-2015, 04:40 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
The Scrap365 issues on offer are all back issues, the magazine closed its doors in November 2014. PocketMags offers all the magazines from Traplet Publications (so that would include Craft Stamper if anyone's interested in seeing that without feeling they have to have the hard copy in hand - obviously there's no cover-mount stamp with the download edition - you can find it here).

My blog
Old 03-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

JoAnn's carried some of them.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

try a book store that sells magazines. our local Books a Million sells quite a few British mags - with the free stuff!!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #38  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I LOVE Stampington's magazines! I just got The Stamper's Sampler and Art Journaling last week. Yesterday I picked up Somerset Memories and was SO sad to read it is going to be annual-only from now on.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
I LOVE Stampington's magazines! I just got The Stamper's Sampler and Art Journaling last week. Yesterday I picked up Somerset Memories and was SO sad to read it is going to be annual-only from now on.
Another Stampington and Company fan here!
I get both Take Ten and Stampers Sampler
Karen S
Old 03-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

I also Love Just Cards from Scott Publications,
and Scrap & Stamp Arts also from Scott Publications.
Scrap & Stamp has a password inside their magazines so you can access an exclusive monthly project, guess the stamp for a chance to win the stamp, and a Pen Pal exchange.
Karen S