Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-31-2007, 01:18 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to pay for our addiction to crafts!

Ok, so I have to admit that I'm a compulsive shopper. Sometimes I'm fine and can go without spending for weeks at a time, but lately I've been bad. Like the past 2 1/2 months I must have spent $1000 at least between signing up to be an SU demo, the $530 first order, a Cricut(on sale) and 4 cartriges, numerous trips to Michaels, Joanns and my locals.
Now I am faced with ordering retiring sets and the new mini catty stuff. What's a girl to do?!!
I've decided that I'm going to earn me some money so I can be spending more cash than plastic. I'm on a mission to clean out my house to reduce the clutter and dust, make space for my expanding craft supplies and to make some money to buy more! Out with the old and in with the new!
What I am doing is taking a good hard look at everything in my house. I'm selling excess toys, used kids stuff like a bed rail, clothing, etc. I'm putting other items such as books and other goodies on Amazon, eBay and Craigslist. For those of you who have never heard of Craigslist(CL as its called by the old time users) you need to get to it. I have sold random bits and bobs there for a few bucks. I'm feeling good about getting rid of and making money off stuff I don't need in my house. You should all do it too! So far I've made $35 today from the sale of two kids items.
I'm not going to feel so guilty about buying new stamps and paper if I have my cash to do it with. So get out there and sell you stuff ladies! Its liberating to see floor space in my laundry room today. Now I just need some new shelving for stamps!

melissa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Send a message via Skype™ to chrise16

I was just telling my DH the other day that we need to do this, too! I'm always trying to find ways to justify my spending on my crafts and the SU! business helps, but lets face it, it doesn't cover all of my expenses.

Thanks for the inspiration. I'm off to clean now....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 01:35 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

good for you! Definately inspiring...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 01:37 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

i have a small resale business, i am not getting rich by any means... but i've been able to keep it going (for over a year now) and buy my stamping stuff and some clothes and stuff. i haven't used household $ for my addiction in quite some time.

now hubby has NO IDEA how much i spend on stamping stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 01:46 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I need to do this...the tax refund has been spent and my addiction isn't going nowheres. Thanks for the ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 01:57 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My dh gives me $$$ !!! He's a great guy, never questions it...he just says if you want it, get it. My SU demo loves him....LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 02:05 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok, don't rub it in!!! I used to sell cars to support my two bad habits: stamps and horses. I guess I was doing a good job because I got promoted to manager, so now I can buy more stamps (no more buying horses though, 3 is enough!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 04:41 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I really need to get back to selling on Ebay. I did if for over 3 years....quit around....hmmm....let's see.....oh yeah ~~ when I started stamping!! Suddenly, the time I had spent selling turned into stamping time!! I only have so much free time, lol ~~ now I spend money instead of making it!!

I have, however, been taking my kids stuff to a great resale shop in town. She pays more than any other resale shop I've been too ~~ more than I'd get at a rummage. Definitely worth the small amount of time to pack it up & drive there!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 06:21 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish entering a sale on ebay, wasn't as time consuming as it is, but I can't forsee having an ebay store, you must have to pay enough for that also.
I wonder how many times people have been charged and not sold a majority of items, but I agree and am giving it a try this winter, I wish I had stock in ebay Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 05:22 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Default I support my addiction by....

I tutor Chemistry online through tutor.com. It is a tutoring service that is used nationwide. A lot of libraries pay for the service for their community and if you have a library card, you can use the service through that library. I tutor kids in Alaska, East Coast...and even in Indiana ( my home state). I get paid $11 an hour...not bad for sitting at your computer in your PJ's. The only downside is that in the month of July I get no work! June starts to slow down and August is slow as well. Its hard to tutor when school starts, but I try and tutor at least 5 hours a week.

And I do it all to support my rubber stamp obsession!!!

Check out my blog:
http://addictedtostamping.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 05:49 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Rob a bank? hmm guess not. I just became a demo for one of my favorite companies but I'm not sure if that is going to help. Why do you ask? Because I want more. Seriously. I am on a budget and it is so hard. When I make money it is like I am spending it as soon as I make it. Whether it is for dies for my cuttlebug, or tins or coasters or paper or ink or ribbon. Maybe if I just stayed away from Splitcoast I wouldn't spend so much. Oh wait, I can't, I'm addicted......... Hi my name is Nicole and I am addicted to stamping......

www.NicoleEBecker.myctmh.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 06:09 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelinscrapperView Post
My dh gives me $$$ !!! He's a great guy, never questions it...he just says if you want it, get it. My SU demo loves him....LOL
My DH doesn't question how much I spend on stamp supplies. I think that he's afraid to. He considers it an investment in my sanity though. I'm not really stay at home mom material, but I'm a stay at home mom. He knows that I need some creative outlet or I'll go completely nuts. Luckily, DH makes good $ so we have a little extra for my habit. I like the idea of finding a way to pay for it all myself though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 06:46 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm beginning to make cards for other people, that's helping a teenie weenie bit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 08:26 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I keep my CM business going to support my stamping hobby, LOL! Most of my scrapbooking has transitioned to much more economical digital photo books, which gives me more money to spend on stamping supplies. Now, whenever I want to splurge and have a stamping spending spree, I go out and do a CM Get Together to earn the money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I have done the very same thing Melissa! It is liberating. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough ~ my house was less full but that meant more room for stamps! LOL.

I too am a demo but for another company and I too have found that I want one of everything.

It's tough, you have to take baby steps, you can't have it all at once unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I just tell my dh it is MUCH cheaper than the psychiatric bills he would be footing if he left me home all the time with three kids and NO outlet!!!!

Works every time!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemteacherView Post
I tutor Chemistry online through tutor.com. It is a tutoring service that is used nationwide. A lot of libraries pay for the service for their community and if you have a library card, you can use the service through that library. I tutor kids in Alaska, East Coast...and even in Indiana ( my home state). I get paid $11 an hour...not bad for sitting at your computer in your PJ's. The only downside is that in the month of July I get no work! June starts to slow down and August is slow as well. Its hard to tutor when school starts, but I try and tutor at least 5 hours a week.

And I do it all to support my rubber stamp obsession!!!
Very cool! I've never heard of this service. I'll have to check it out. TFS.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

I have made card sets that I sell at work. I sold 8 sets of 7 cards in a tote for Mother's Day for $20 each. Then I went to an SU party the week after and spent it all and then some. I also quilt and every now and then I get a request to make one, usually baby quilts which are quick and easy. That is instant "craft money" because you should see how much fabric I have acquired over the past 3 years. Funny, I quilt to support my stamp habit. It's all good! It keeps me out of trouble and off the streets!!!!!

~Diane
Reply With Quote Likes