Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-23-2017, 07:01 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often do you send out cards?

Who do you send them to? For what occasion?

I find myself making cards, then wondering what to do with them, haha! I do some swaps, but want to send cards to family and friends regularly.

What do you do?

Thanks, Lisa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 07:31 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I belong to several groups so I try to do birthday and anniversary cards for folks in those groups. I want to try to send cards monthly or bimonthly (every other month) to someone whose customer support I appreciate, just to acknowledge those folks. I have not done that so much but want to get better at that. There's always folks who "always" serve with a smile, go the extra mile, etc. that I'd like to start acknowledging occasionally, at least.
I send a lot of thinking of you cards all year long too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a huge extended family - 5 grown kids and spouses, 20 grandchildren, and 4 greats! It seems like someone is having a birthday nearly every month, and some months there are several. I send birthday cards to all of them.

I have a few close long-time girlfriends that I send birthday cards to, also. So birthday cards are always in my rotation.

I also send cards to a longer list of friends and family for most of the holidays, Christmas, Valentines, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Halloween, and Thanksgiving.

I send cards for no special reason, too, just if I'm thinking of the person, or if I know they might be needing a smile in the mail.

I try to keep a few extra cards on hand, like Thank You and Sympathy. Unfortunately, as I've gotten older, I need more sympathy cards these days.:(

I make multiple cards a lot, unless it's a special birthday card for a grandchild which is one of a kind.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Although I make cards, you will often see me barely getting birthday cards out on time and I am sure they are sometimes late. So I do try to give birthday cards to family, including cousins and their kids if I have time!

I send Christmas, Valentine's Day and Easter cards. Who gets them often depends on how many I had time to make.

I also have Sympathy, Get Well and Thank you cards ready so I get get those out when needed.

I have been sorting old photographs and sending them out to family in a home made card, too.

If you just want to keep in touch with someone, look up those obscure holidays on google and then send a card for that (National Taco day, Bird day, etc.).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
Lightbulb

Great topic! Now if I were an organizer-at-heart ... I can see creating an Excel chart, etc. just to see where my efforts slump and where I shine. But ... I am not that organizer. ;)

Tex's SoapBox: I will say ... if you are a card-maker >> become a card-maker AND a card-sender!
The quiet delight we feel in creating seems to triple or more when that card actually gets addressed & mailed. It's allowed to move on from your creative time & energy, and it then becomes a smile-maker or some other much-needed blessing to its recipient.
In my early days of card making, I didn't think folks would appreciate my little results of playing with paper & ink. Well ... I appreciate the results, and over time the comments from special family/friends convinced me that those creative lovelies DO mean something to those who receive. Over the most recent few years I've discovered the happy inner smile of "sending" cards ... whenever with a necessary purpose or just "because" & just for FUN! Sympathy cards are now a tangible 'gift' of myself to show someone what my words cannot really say. I'm still crummy at on-time b'days ... but pretty good at other random smile-sendings. I enjoy surprising friends & team members with 'happy mail'!
Try it! You'll like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I only make cards if needed. I never seem motivated to just create. I have to have an occasion.

Birthdays-haven't bought a BD card in over 10 years-well haven't bought any cards in that long!
Christmas-every year
Thanksgiving-usually
Thank you-often
Valentine's-every year
Baby
Weddings
Showers
Sympathy
Easter-some years
Mother's Day-every year. To my daughters and one to my aunt. My mom has been gone 35 yrs. Died young.
St. Paddy's - some years

I used to send a card once in a while to my very good friend when we hadn't been shopping for awhile-I have a stamp that says, " I think it's time for some retail therapy"

I do have cards ahead from SU classes I go to so when I'm in a pinch I have something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I make and send cards for birthdays, anniversaries, babies [nowadays grandchildren and great grandchildren], congrats, sympathy, thinking of you, and almost every holiday: Valentine's, Easter, 4th of July, Mother and Father's day [to friends and relatives since neither my husband or I have any parents left, my mom died last year at age 100!], Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas. And even sometimes to a special few people, St. Patrick's Day and Talk Like a Pirate Day - which is my daughter's birthday and she has a parrot and I found a parrot dressed like a pirate stamp. I send cards to family, old and new friends, neighbors, members of my card making group - almost anyone can be a recipient of one of my cards. Just mail them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I sent cards to my family and friends on their birthdays, anniversaries, christmas and if there is a new baby in the family. Apart from that I also send 2-3 cards every month on the Birthday RAK here at SCS. I remember when last year my mailbox was filled with birthday cards how exciting it was for me!I also volunteer at a hospice and take some cards with me when it is their birthday or incase they want to send a card to their family members. Sometimes they request a specific occasion for which I customise a card accordingly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #9  

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I LOVE to write so I send cards to four church shut -ins and our four sponsor children each month, with long hand-written messages inside (and outside, because I run out of room!). I send birthday cards to family, Christmas cards to everyone I know, thank you cards to people that have touched me with their kindness and/or generosity, and sympathy cards. I also will make cards to give away as little thank you gifts. So, in an average month (which excludes December), I send 10 cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a tiny ministry to encourage the paid nursery workers and every-week volunteers at our church. I make about 22 cards monthly with an uplifting message...all the same style. I make birthday cards for all them, too.
This year I decided to make some extra of those monthly cards and send to good friends.
Facebook really helped me with knowing when birthdays are coming up and I put all those on a big wall calendar in my craft room so I can be prepared. Some friends even post my cards on Facebook!
I have 6 grandkids, and the 3 in another state get special cards about every 2 months. Plus, Lots of congrats cards for my very smart grandsons who keep winning awards.
I expanded my Birthday card circle to include my grown neices, who are artsy and appreciate my creations.
The most difficult one to make is Mothers' Day card for my daughter-in-law. Enough said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2017, 08:13 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
...snip...
Facebook really helped me with knowing when birthdays are coming up and I put all those on a big wall calendar in my craft room so I can be prepared. ..snip...
HA! I've been checking out FB pages for the last 2-3 days just for this reason. Not really finding most of the folks put their bdays on it though. :( For some, a little more digging because usually there is a clue somewhere or another friend will wish them a happy bday but it's definitely taking patience and not a huge payback yet. We'll soon see as I just started doing this. I hope to get at least a few though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #12  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I send birthday cards to family, close friends and quite a few SCS friends - probably somewhere around 6-8 a month, though that's variable. Random cards to people I know are facing various challenges in their lives, anniversary cards to family only. A few more random "just because, I was thinking of you today" cards. There are a couple of people I try to send a card to each month. It comes to about 12 cards a month, but since our postage has just gone up by over 20%, I need to start making sure that more of them are flatter and don't need extra postage. When I buy stamps, the post office clerks always ask me do I need a receipt, because I don't think they expect anyone to be buying them 25 at a time for personal use :mrgreen:.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 01:12 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I send birthday cards to family, close friends and quite a few SCS friends - probably somewhere around 6-8 a month, though that's variable. Random cards to people I know are facing various challenges in their lives, anniversary cards to family only. A few more random "just because, I was thinking of you today" cards. There are a couple of people I try to send a card to each month. It comes to about 12 cards a month, but since our postage has just gone up by over 20%, I need to start making sure that more of them are flatter and don't need extra postage. When I buy stamps, the post office clerks always ask me do I need a receipt, because I don't think they expect anyone to be buying them 25 at a time for personal use :mrgreen:.
I hear you! I spend quite a bit on postage for sending cards, too. I've just factored it into the cost of this hobby, lol. There are lots of things that I don't spend money on, that a lot of my friends do.

I cut my own hair, because I prefer it, and have for years. Same goes for coloring it. I also do my own manicures for the same reason. I have friends that have a pretty hefty budget for stuff like that. They would never miss a hair, or manicure or pedicure appointment.

We also don't eat out much at all, again compared to people we know. I enjoy cooking, and my hubby likes it, so I cook.

People spend money on what's important to them. I like to make cards and send them out into the world, so that's what I do.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Lisa,

I send out birthday cards, so it's almost every month for me. I think there are two months that nobody has a birthday. When needed, I send out the other cards, such a Thank You, Thinking of You, or Sympathy.

:-)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm better at making cards to gift for others to send, but I'm working on it.
I've begun participating in the Card 4 A Cause challenge here which is great for getting me to sit down and create. In the process, I make a few extras to send here and there. For some reason, I enjoy sending random cards out more than the usual birthday ones.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2017, 07:37 AM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the replies! Just since I've posted this, I've sent out 3-4 cards! You all are an inspiration in so many ways!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireworkView Post
HA! I've been checking out FB pages for the last 2-3 days just for this reason. Not really finding most of the folks put their bdays on it though. :( For some, a little more digging because usually there is a clue somewhere or another friend will wish them a happy bday but it's definitely taking patience and not a huge payback yet. We'll soon see as I just started doing this. I hope to get at least a few though.
I look on FB for birthdays, too. I figured out that when you go to someone's home page, click on the about button on top. Then you can find more info, and frequently the birthday is in that section.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I look on FB for birthdays, too. I figured out that when you go to someone's home page, click on the about button on top. Then you can find more info, and frequently the birthday is in that section.
Yes, that is what I do, look in the about section. Sometimes it's not listed though and that is when I scroll through about 3-5 months just to see if anyone has wished them a HB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #19  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

LOL, I will cut my own hair too if DH isn't around when it needs doing, and we rarely eat out because we can eat much better dining in.

But, it really was a substantial postal increase this time, as the cap that used to limit increases was removed. Local postage went up by 18 c instead of, it never used to be more than 5c at a time. And international went up by 25c. I'll have to budget for Christmas, as I mail about 70 cards and it's been years since we had an intermediate European rate :-(. A thicker international card will now be �2.50 instead of �2.15, so that affects my perception of the cost quite a bit. But as per your "Postal Complaint" thread, we have a similar system to shazsilverwolf, and it's only if I need to add bubble-wrap for protection that most cards would get pushed up into that higher rate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I hear you! I spend quite a bit on postage for sending cards, too. I've just factored it into the cost of this hobby, lol. There are lots of things that I don't spend money on, that a lot of my friends do.

I cut my own hair, because I prefer it, and have for years. Same goes for coloring it. I also do my own manicures for the same reason. I have friends that have a pretty hefty budget for stuff like that. They would never miss a hair, or manicure or pedicure appointment.

We also don't eat out much at all, again compared to people we know. I enjoy cooking, and my hubby likes it, so I cook.

People spend money on what's important to them. I like to make cards and send them out into the world, so that's what I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Received 808 Likes on 529 Posts

I send birthday cards, anniversary cards and cards for most of the holidays. I send a lot of Thinking of You cards. I volunteer at a local hospital so I send cards to current and former volunteers who I know.

Today I'm mailing a sympathy card and a thank you card. I usually mail at least 3 or 4 cards a week.

Everyone loves getting fun snail mail :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2017, 04:24 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I make about 50 birthday cards each year, around 80 Christmas cards and then 50-60 more for charity. If a particular situation comes up (last year a great-niece was born, yesterday a dear neighbour died) I will make a card for that. Why would you make cards that you weren't going to send to anyone?

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2017, 05:22 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

I keep a list by the month on my computer for birthdays and anniversaries of people I want to remember. That makes it easy to add a name when a baby is born or someone gets married. I can then also add the year so I know how old the children are when I send a card or how long someone has been married. I then print the list off at the beginning of the new year and can check it off as I send out the cards. I send 40-50 cards each month so it is really helpful to have a check list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2017, 05:28 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I send out cards for all the major holidays. I also make little 3D gifts for around 10 friends and neighbors using my Silhouette Cameo. I also have a 93 yr. old neighbor who moved away. She is very lonely so she gets a card about once a month. I add people to my lists when I feel a person needs a boost! Most all whom get one of my creations look forward to getting them. I also my cards for my daughter's office. She is a supervisor so sends out lots of cards. Last year she ran out of my cards to send out. She lives out of state. Her workers were sad when they got a store card! So this year I made her 50 cards and printed sentiments to put on the fronts and inside. I call what I do "card therapy" for me and those that get them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I send cards for everything to my family and close friends. I haven't purchased a card in 15 years. I do sell a few as well. This hobby not only gives me great pleasure, but relieves stress immensely!!
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

As a ChemoAngel, I am required to send out at least one card/letter each week to the patients I've been assigned. Right now I have 2 buddies (patients) so there are always cards to be made. Follow the link in my signature to check out the ChemoAngel organization. You are assigned a patient currently undergoing chemo and you brighten their day with snail mail. I highly recommend it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have a card list, but don't reprint it every year. I only send out about 10 - 12 a month, not counting graduations, and get well- weddings, etc. I have a bunch I need to finish. I like to put a written note inside on separate paper and a separate envelope, so as a gift, they get to re-send the card to someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmababaView Post
I keep a list by the month on my computer for birthdays and anniversaries of people I want to remember. That makes it easy to add a name when a baby is born or someone gets married. I can then also add the year so I know how old the children are when I send a card or how long someone has been married. I then print the list off at the beginning of the new year and can check it off as I send out the cards. I send 40-50 cards each month so it is really helpful to have a check list.
We think alike! I have a Card computer database by month that I made years ago and print it out the month before so I can make the cards I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
You know I love RED

Received 744 Likes on 355 Posts

I believe I am trying to keep my local Post Office in business, and they think so too! LOL! I send out cards every day.........to family and friends. I have a card list for each month with dates of birthdays, anniv., holidays......and also send out sympathy, get well, and fun cards just for the heck of it. I am amazed that people (including kids) save every card. In this day of emails, twitter, FB, etc., there are still those of us, (including ME!), who love to get a card. I keep mine displayed for a month in the den on the mantel, and visitors always like to see them too! I love this hobby, and am glad to say the recipients of my cards do too. Keep mailing cards!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmommyView Post
I believe I am trying to keep my local Post Office in business, and they think so too! LOL! I send out cards every day.........to family and friends. I have a card list for each month with dates of birthdays, anniv., holidays......and also send out sympathy, get well, and fun cards just for the heck of it. I am amazed that people (including kids) save every card. In this day of emails, twitter, FB, etc., there are still those of us, (including ME!), who love to get a card. I keep mine displayed for a month in the den on the mantel, and visitors always like to see them too! I love this hobby, and am glad to say the recipients of my cards do too. Keep mailing cards!!!
Good for you! Keep it up - I know you are providing lots of smiles to lots of people!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

I feel the way octoberbabe does in terms of this craft bringing me much joy and it being a great stress reliever. Spending time in my craft room can really take me out of myself and put the worries and stresses of life on hold for awhile - what a blessing! And I in turn love to bless others by mailing my cards. I do lots of birthday cards for family and friends, Christmas cards, and cards for our daughter and grandkids for other holidays. I send a lot of "thinking of you" and humorous cards out just for fun. Occasionally I make a card that I'm really happy with, and I may have it hanging around for awhile, but eventually everything gets mailed out.
I also make cards all year that I put in a pretty box for my best friend's birthday each year - then she has cards to mail out, too : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

My DH always says I'm keeping the PO in business. Many of my friends say they can't mail a card as it would cost too much in postage if it isn't very thin and flat. I don't care. i make cards that please me and send them out no matter what. I send to family member-s--all the way to grand nieces and nephews (including those that are in-laws) for birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, special occasions. My mother died when I was 11, but I still send out 15 cards for Mother's Day---my sisters, DIL, and any related mothers as well as mothers that have inspired me. The same goes for Father's Day. My dad died 15 years ago, but my son, BILs other dads get a card. Then there are graduations, weddings, births, deaths, thank yous and thinking of yous. Making cards fills my creative soul and sending them fills my emotional soul. I do have finished cards, that have no set recipient, in my stash, for sudden needs---sympathy, thank you, thinking of you and blanks for any occasion. But they will eventually be used. All birthdays, holidays, anniversaries and occasions that I learn about ahead of time, are made specifically and sent to arrive on or before the occasion as I write the date they need to be sent where the stamp will go on the already addressed envelope. That way I know when I have to write the personal note inside and get it out to the mail on time. I have a calendar box I have made divided by month with all birthdays and anniversaries listed and work on them by the theme of the months in advance. If those that get my cards are even half as happy to get them as I am to send them, then my job is done here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2017, 06:59 AM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

I love the way you worded the creative and emotional reasons for your sending cards as that is exactly my reasoning for sending 40-50 cards a month and have no regrets for the amount of postage used. It makes me happy and I know from comments from others that it makes them happy as well. So many contacts are through social media now a days that it has erased so much of the personal touch . Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Likes