Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #41
Stampin' Fool

Wow. Guess I need to start taking pictures of my studio...with all of the cupboards and drawers opened...
And the price of sewing machines? Insane if you get the models that do embroidery/quilting/etc. I got a new Bernina last year--not a top-of-the-line embroidery model at all--and it cost me well over $3000. Special quilting machines can go well over 10K. I have a second older one too...good heavens, the cost of sewing supplies (fabric/specialty threads/books) plus all of my stamping stuff (mostly SU) is probably well over 25K <shudder>.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #42
Die Cut Diva

I am one that has. I bought an inverntory program just for Rubber Stamping and I have everything, right down to the last Copic's I bought listed.

I back it up only monthly and a copy of it is on file with my State Farm Insurance Agent.

We have far too much invested to not have our products and supplie covered......

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #43
Pearl-ExPert

I have no idea. I don't even want to think about how much I have spent on stamping and scrapping supplies over the last few years. Or all the money on quilting supplies before that and knitting before that, or every other craft I have tried in the last 30+ year..... I do know its in the thousands though. I considered getting a rider but I figure that my policy covers up to $100,000 for furniture and our old cr*p isn't worth a fraction of that. So if something ever happened, I would take the furniture payout to cover my crafting losses.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #44
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by RagtopView Post
Funny you should ask this. I gave my husband a rough estimate of $20,000 last year when we got our renters insurance. Since then I've been working on a Excel spreadsheet. I made tabs for "SU! Sets", "Inks & Coloring Implements", "Non-SU! Stamps", "Books", and "Tools".
This is a good idea! Not just for insurance purposes, but just for inventory (to keep from double purchases and or hoarding!). Good for you! I'll think about it ... and it'll probably stop there
Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #45
Stampin' Fool

My crafting things are just like it says on the Mastercard commercial: PRICELESS.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #46
Matboard Maniac

Because we move so much, I have to keep a note for insurance purposes - in case our container gets lost at sea or some other disaster. It is scary to sit down and add it all up. I have an Excell spreadsheet and everytime I buy something I add it to it - I try not to look at the total - it scares me, but darling DH just says - it is what it is!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #47
Mad Swapper

I know it's a lot - really never want to know the total value. I've been stamping since 1995 and have about 800-900 SU sets and thousands of other loose stamps from various from other companies. I've probably spent $3000 - $5,000 a year on stamps, tools and supplies since 1995! I have a very understanding DH and I do use my stuff - I stamp every day!
Maddee 2 years
Old 01-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #48
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie in IndyView Post
I work in the insurance industry (and have for 25+ years) and as long as the supplies are used for personal use only, they would be considered "Contents" (Coverage C) under *most* insurance policies.

Most homeowners get a standard amount of coverage for contents that is a percentage of the amount carried on the home - a $100,000 home might have $75,000 in contents - this is an example only - check your individual policy to see what limits are available on your policy.

Since I just purged my closets/drawers and estimated values on those items, I can say that the limit we have on coverage C would be grossly inadequate if we were to have a total loss. (i.e. a huge fire that destroyed the entire home).

It's not likely I'd have a loss that would decimate my craft room but if I did, I'd have to guestimate that the amount of contents coverage on our homeowner policy would need to be increased. That's because we're supposed to figure on replacement cost - not what we paid for an item. If it costs $50 to buy a new Cuttlebug....$6 for each embossing folder....$5.50 for each pack of SU cardstock....

YIKES.
My brother works for a company that comes in and cleans up after disasters and reports to the insurance companies called norcat. The company has tools to measure smoke content. A friend of mine here in WA had a kitchen fire. Her craft room is 3-4 rooms away from the kitchen. She thought nothing of items that were not in the kitchen. Norcat came back with a list of items not in the kitchen that had to be cleaned or replaced do to smoke damage and she was shocked to see what was on there. The thing that hit me was all of her paper had absorbed a large amount of smoke. Just imagine if you lost everything paper in your craftroom. That would devaste me.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #49
Insane Embellisher

There are top of the line machines out there that are well over $10,000. The new Viking is one. That doesn't include the embroidery programs you need to buy. It can really get $$$ fast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper KissyView Post
There is a such thing as a $7000 sewing machine? What brand is it?

Erin

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Old 01-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #50
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper KissyView Post
There is a such thing as a $7000 sewing machine? What brand is it?

Erin
I have an innovis 4000D
It is a Disney trademarked high end embriodry unit
I say half the price is for the Disney logo and all the disney patterns that are pre installed...

I basicly does everything but make pizza and I don't even have to be in the room. LOL
Old 01-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #51
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterdovefairyView Post
I have an innovis 4000D
It is a Disney trademarked high end embriodry unit
I say half the price is for the Disney logo and all the disney patterns that are pre installed...

I basicly does everything but make pizza and I don't even have to be in the room. LOL
I have a fun question...way off subject....but if you put interfacing on the back of CS, could you embroider a card with the machine? Or would the paper just fall apart anyway?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #52
Compulsive Stamper

There are some designs made to sew onto cards. You have to watch the density of the design. I am going to do them for next years xmas cards.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #53
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
I have a fun question...way off subject....but if you put interfacing on the back of CS, could you embroider a card with the machine? Or would the paper just fall apart anyway?
sewing on cardstock with a computerized machine is not advised
the paper fibers can ruin something
some do it but with the investment price I am afraid to try
Old 01-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #54
Dirty Dozen Alumni

i don't think that i want to know! LOL! my dh might keel over if there was actually a dollar amount associated with it!...so would i!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #55
Insane Embellisher

Good grief! I didn't know that. Did your sewing machine store tell you that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterdovefairyView Post
sewing on cardstock with a computerized machine is not advised
the paper fibers can ruin something
some do it but with the investment price I am afraid to try

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #56
Forum Fanatic

Yes, my local brother store told me that. I have heard some do it and just clean it well. I just bought a little paper crafting sewing machine for $15 so I didn't have to risk it.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #57
Pearl-ExPert

I was thinking about insurace the other day since I am starting to get quite a collection started. My mom owns our house so I asked her. We are more than covered thankfully, but I need to take photos.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #58
Rubber Obsessor

We had a catastrophic fire two years ago that burned our home to the ground. All I can say is to make sure that you have (as has been mentioned above):

1. Replacement Value, not actual value, insurance.

2. Way more "contents" coverage than you would ever imagine.

It is unbelievable how quickly it adds up. One pancake turner here, a remote control there. At replacement value, the totals mount into the ten of thousands in a heartbeat. We had plenty of coverage, above and beyond, we thought, and I can only say that it didn't even come close. We still did okay, but it was a definite huge financial hit.

Get WAY MORE than you think you will need. It IS worth it. It doesn't cost that much more.

fwiw...I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy (not that I have any anyway, lol....)

Last edited by chickadeelodge; 01-03-2009 at 09:56 AM..
Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #59
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickadeelodgeView Post
We had a catastrophic fire two years ago that burned our home to the ground. All I can say is to make sure that you have (as has been mentioned above):

1. Replacement Value, not actual value, insurance.

2. Way more "contents" coverage than you would ever imagine.

It is unbelievable how quickly it adds up. One pancake turner here, a remote control there. At replacement value, the totals mount into the ten of thousands in a heartbeat. We had plenty of coverage, above and beyond, we thought, and I can only say that it didn't even come close. We still did okay, but it was a definite huge financial hit.

Get WAY MORE than you think you will need. It IS worth it. It doesn't cost that much more.

fwiw...I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy (not that I have anyway, lol....)
I'm so sorry for your loss! I understand - we lost a house and nearly everything in it due to a flood with *NO* coverage - I was young but remember it all too well. And my father worked for an insurance company - but at that point in time, flood insurance wasn't available and it was a freak storm.

Thanks also for your good advice!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #60
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' AnnieView Post
That's exactly why I posed the question. One, I need to save more money with the economy in the toilet, and two, what if our house burned down tomorrow? That's a BIG investment gone...
Well than you better not leave the house or if it catches on fire while you are there, GO TO YOUR STAMP AREA FIRST!!!!!!!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Old 01-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #61
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinchampinView Post
Well than you better not leave the house or if it catches on fire while you are there, GO TO YOUR STAMP AREA FIRST!!!!!!!
I can picture it now: the dog under one arm and stamp sets under the other!

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Old 01-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #62
Matboard Maniac

I always figure, I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't pay for cable, I have a small car...if stamping can be considered a vice, it's a rather harmless one, and I enjoy it, it keeps me feeling creative, and I can use it to bless others...so that's how I justify the cost! As for supplies lying around that I haven't touched, I either give them away to someone who wants/needs them or give them to the girls' club at my school. That way they go to good use and I don't have to feel guilty about having spent 'good money' on something that is not getting any use.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #63
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
I don't want to think about it too much but I know it must be over $5,000 because that is what my sewing machines alone are worth! YIKES! Then add in the $500 of cross stitch patterns, over $1500 in stamping and scrapping items I purchased just last year...Jeez, I could go on but I think I had better stop...I could probably pay off our mortgage with all the craft supplies I have! I would hate to think of what would happen if I had to replace everything!
To think I started "Stampin'" to SAVE money from purchasing ready-made cards. Hahahaha. OOOh I think I'm going to be sick. LOL
Old 01-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #64
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammaSalView Post
To think I started "Stampin'" to SAVE money from purchasing ready-made cards. Hahahaha. OOOh I think I'm going to be sick. LOL
Yup, same here. Well, now all my $$ goes to SU, etc. instead of Hallmark. Oh, well!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #65
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' AnnieView Post
Yup, same here. Well, now all my $$ goes to SU, etc. instead of Hallmark. Oh, well!
But soooooooooo much more more.....I never really calculated, but with the 20+ cards I send out per month, plus Christmas cards, plus sympathy cards (which come up without being on the calendar AND 'get well' cards) I think I still spend more on stamps and paper and accessories.

But "priceless" is what the results are in satisfaction, fulfillment, giving joy to others................Ooops, I never ever thought about the cost of stamps!!!!

That's continual "OUT GO". 'Expensive hobby' is what the figures are.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #66
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammaSalView Post
But soooooooooo much more more.....I never really calculated, but with the 20+ cards I send out per month, plus Christmas cards, plus sympathy cards (which come up without being on the calendar AND 'get well' cards) I think I still spend more on stamps and paper and accessories.

But "priceless" is what the results are in satisfaction, fulfillment, giving joy to others................Ooops, I never ever thought about the cost of stamps!!!!

That's continual "OUT GO". 'Expensive hobby' is what the figures are.
The joy that I have brought to others (and myself) is worth the extra cost.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #67
Mad Swapper

Interesting thread - since I just finished completing my SU set inventory (I use Cat's excel file - that she updates with every new catty) - my previous list only had set names - now I have original prices.

I was totally amazed. Totally. Did not realize how many sets I have (I can't bear to part with any of them!).

I did have a basement flood last summer and lost 15 simply scrappin kits. Ask me now if I hoard those!LOL Luckily nothing else was damaged.

But I lost my house in a fire 10 years ago. Consuelo and Julie are correct. Replacement value is key. And having an inventory listing.

Ragtop - now I'll have to add a few tabs to my file for Cuttlebug folders and dies, punches, inks and other coloring tools. And then my scrapbooks. And then the ribbon....

Good thing my insurance agent's wife just became a SU (hobby) demo. He will understand!

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #68
Kookie Creator

I have several riders on my HO policy for computer equipment, collectibles, jewelry, old coins, etc. I haven't added the "craft" items separately as yet, but am going to this month. Most of what I have could never be replaced. When I realize how much I have spent over the years - whoa baby! I said it before that old saying about the price of men's toys - I think it more than fits with us as well.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #69
Forum Fanatic

bump for more input
Old 01-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #70
Hardware Hotshot

How much does it raise insurance when you start adding all that stuff on there? My room alone probably has $20,000 worth the stuff in it. Not including all our computers in the house which is 6 and xbox, wii, ps3 and all the thousands of dollars in games so i could add quite a bit. Hubby informed me the other day my scraproom was a deathtrap and if it ever did catch on fire it would go up in flames with all my paper and rubber...
Old 01-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #71
Insane Embellisher

Another person who'd rather ignore the truth!!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #72
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendalynView Post
How much does it raise insurance when you start adding all that stuff on there? My room alone probably has $20,000 worth the stuff in it. Not including all our computers in the house which is 6 and xbox, wii, ps3 and all the thousands of dollars in games so i could add quite a bit. Hubby informed me the other day my scraproom was a deathtrap and if it ever did catch on fire it would go up in flames with all my paper and rubber...
my dh is big on insurance cause he thinks the craft room is a fire hazzard
Old 01-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #73
Embossing Fanatic

Oh wow! I have thought about this a little but neer really sit down and added any of it. I have a huge studio which is completely full so I can imagine. I am sure that 1 room is worth more than the rest of the rooms combined,lol. I have over $3000 invested in just my Cricut supplies. And that isn't even getting started. So I probably easily have well over $15,000. And I have only been in this hobby(addiction) for 3.5 years.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #74
Hardware Hotshot

Wow, I've been collecting this stuff (on and off) for about 15 years. Granted when I stared I was 23 and didn't have tons of money to spend on it or the place to keep it and that would discourage me so I'd give up for a bit.

In 1997 we bought a house and I got back into it a little more and at that time I didn't have much in the way of punches, machines, all the inks, so I was still pretty limited. It was always so hard to spend money on the inks, etc., when I wanted all the new stamp sets too so I always did a balancing act between the two.

When I moved out in '04 I had quite a bit of stuff but nothing like all the inks, cuttlebugs, that kind of thing. I moved into my own house, single, just me and that's when I really started getting into it big time.

My now DBF was super encouraging of this hobby and what I'd make, he still looks at every card, not just a glance, but a study and comment. He has bought me several things to go with this and so between what he's bought me, what I've spent, and some stuff that was given to me (like the marker set, yeah!!) from my friend who bought with full intentions of stamping but decided after years she preferred her cross stitching and never got around to using her stamp stuff, I've quite a lot, or so I thought.

You ladies BLOW me away. Since this thread I've started to take an inventory, I'd like to know what I've got. So far, my estimation in stamp sets is a little over $3,000.00 which just doesn't seem like much given how much they cost but you know what, my cabinet for them is busting out now, I've no room for more (well, you know, unless I move some things around, that's always do-able). I've the cuddle bug and some accessories, collecting more as we speak. Nestabilites, have a new set coming as well as embossing folders. I've $$ at HL to spend from Christmas so I'm waiting for coupons and sales.

I'm curious if my total will be over 10K after I factor in my measily furniture, inks, accessories, paper, etc. Not that I'm looking for it to, I'm just curious now how much I've got in FUN stuff.

DBF never says a word, would you like to know his hobbIES are, yeah, he can't say a word if he wanted to!!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #75

I haven't really thought about it guess I should. I always am concerned with getttin Dh stuff cataloged.(Commerial Roofer with every toy or so it seems)He's had his truck & trailer broken into several times. We really need to get inland marine policy.
I know I'm probably into 15,000 to 20,000 range. I have spent this over several years. I have both cricut's, big shot with dies, 2 sewing machines one is worth at least 3000.00. I also cross-stitch, crochet, and do felt stocking. but all this is a drop in the bucket compared to DH Harley-Davidson hobby he has recently aquired. lol