Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:07 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much to Charge for Wedding Invitations?

I've been asked by someone outside my family to make handmade wedding invitations for her daughter's wedding. I made all sorts of announcements and things in the past but it was always for family so there was no charge. It is going to be a small wedding as far as guests go. She will only need about 50 invitations. I need some recommendations on what to charge. I know the information I've provided is kind of vague and there are lots of things to be factored in. I know that I will include the costs of the supplies in the price but how do I come up with a price for my time. If you've done this before I would appreciate any advice you can give me. Even if it's don't do it for less than $_.
Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

It all depends on the complexity of the invites. Simple, less cost involved, smaller price tag than something that has more work involved or pricier components.

Also, it depends on what your market will bear and what the customer is willing to pay. You might feel them out first, many think that this can be done for less money than it really can be done for.

That said, the general rule for crafting is take your supplies times three for individual pricing, times the number of invitations to determine cost for all invites. Or, take your supplies cost and add whatever you determine your hourly pay should be and figure out how long it will take you to make the invites and charge that way.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

You might feel them out first, many think that this can be done for less money than it really can be done for.
That is what I'm afraid of. Most people have no idea how much time goes into the whole "handmade" card.
Thanks for your formula. I think it would be easiest in my market to go with the supplies times 3.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Maybe you could do some research to see how much wedding invitations cost when you order from a printer and use that as a factor in setting your price.

Definitely sets a price that makes it worthwhile for you, though. Don't sell yourself short.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't made any wedding invitations, but recently made 30 invitations for a 50th Wedding Anniversary reception.

I made them with a cardstock base, a cuttlebug embossed layer with ticket-punched corners, and used a scalloped gold cardstock oval to frame the "50th Anniversary" stamping on the front. They also had a little gold ribbon running across the bottom under the scalloped oval.

I charged $3 each, plus the cost of materials to make them. They were a standard size, so I didn't charge for the envies, which I already had from Office Depot.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

PS Here's a link to the invitation, if you'd like to take a look.

50th Wedding Anniversary Invitation by buggainok at Splitcoaststampers

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One word of caution. Make sure that you've made a prototype that the bride has approved and you've given a price and the bride has made a considerable downpayment and agreed in writing to pay for the remainder -- just a simple -- statement of what you are going to make and by when you will deliver the product and what the downpayment is and how much you will get paid on delivery, regardless of whether the bride and groom actually have a wedding!

One way to price it is to have the bride pay for all supplies and then set a fee for your time and skill.

Another suggestion -- have the cardstock cut at a place like Kinkos. Little cost, big time saver!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

That's a great idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I haven't made any wedding invitations, but recently made 30 invitations for a 50th Wedding Anniversary reception.

I made them with a cardstock base, a cuttlebug embossed layer with ticket-punched corners, and used a scalloped gold cardstock oval to frame the "50th Anniversary" stamping on the front. They also had a little gold ribbon running across the bottom under the scalloped oval.

I charged $3 each, plus the cost of materials to make them. They were a standard size, so I didn't charge for the envies, which I already had from Office Depot.
These were lovely. Thanks for sharing all the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
One word of caution. Make sure that you've made a prototype that the bride has approved and you've given a price and the bride has made a considerable downpayment and agreed in writing to pay for the remainder -- just a simple -- statement of what you are going to make and by when you will deliver the product and what the downpayment is and how much you will get paid on delivery, regardless of whether the bride and groom actually have a wedding!

One way to price it is to have the bride pay for all supplies and then set a fee for your time and skill.

Another suggestion -- have the cardstock cut at a place like Kinkos. Little cost, big time saver!!!
thanks for the tips. I had thought about the prototype already and having it approved beforehand and definitely a downpayment. But, I hadn't thought about having her pay for supplies or having the cardstock cut at Kinkos. thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Likes