Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much to charge for cards?

I was thinking of offering to coworkers cards for sale for b-days, Valentine's day , note cards etc. I was going to bring in a bunch of samples and either sell those or "make to order" with specific colors when they need them. I would include a matching envelope. Do you think $2.00 is reasonable? I would think cards from Hallmark would be around that. I just want to try to offset some of the cost of this addiction!!! I wouldn't set up a permanent display or anything like that as I know that is against SU rules. Any advice or suggestions?

My Blog: Did You Stamp Today? | Fab Friday Challenge Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 12:59 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts
Red face Price of Cards

I have never sold cards, so I can't comment on that. However, when was the last time you bought a Hallmark card? I would say $3.50 is on the bottom end of a nice card. That makes your $2.00 a card very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 03:56 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold some of my handmade Christmas cards at work this year and they were a real hit. I charged $3.00 per card and no one seemed to have a problem with that price. I also sold some stamped magnets for $1.00 each and they went like hot cakes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree. I charge $2.00 per card. If I sell an 8-pack in clear boxes (clearbags.com) sometimes I charge $14.00 for the set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I was charging people 1.50, everyone said that was not enough. So now I charge 2.00 everyone thinks that reasonable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 04:08 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

These prices sound low to me. I sell cards for at least $3.50 each and people gladly buy them. I would only charge $2 per card if it were an extremely simple, no layers, no embellishments, type of card.

My thinking is that our carefully designed and crafted cards are worth much more than the Hallmark version...so at $3.50 they are still a very good value.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 06:08 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I charge $2 for my cards, and I sell a lot to coworkers. I know that seems low to some, but it is enough for me. I don't do package deals like buy so many get one free, it is just $2 each. I have done some orders, but luckily they gave me the freedom to do whatever I wanted. My largest order was 10 masculine and 10 feminine birthday cards. That was an easy $40 bucks for me! I make cards because I love it, and selling some just helps me buy more stamps and supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 06:18 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I take in and sell the cards that I think are acceptable, but that don't strike me as keepers by my standards. I sell mine for $4 each, and have set it up so that it's buy 10 get one free. My cards do tend to have multiple layers and ribbon, brads, etc. I have only charged more when I got a special request where I had to go out and buy an embellishment for the card in a quick turnaround time. We have 2 stores by my office that sell handmade cards, and people keep saying they'd rather give me the money than the stores, and that the convenience alone is worth my prices. They have also said they like being able to say they know the person that made them. I also take it for granted that if you buy from me, you're getting additional services where I can give them. One example of this is that when I heard that a Christmas card that I had made never made it to its destination, I remade the card for free and provided it to the person who had purchased the original. Or if I hear something like, "my mother loves the color purple, and I'd like to get her one of your cards for her birthday" I usually can go home and make a card essentially to order that night.

My blog: Stamping Through the Tulips
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 09:13 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I am thinking of starting to sell my cards - what are popular sets to put together (ie. male/female birthdays, sets of Christmas cards, note cards). Is it best to put together a portfolio first or samples and then collect orders or just pre-make cards first and then sell them? Where do you get envelopes or d they have to have one?
Reply With Quote Likes