Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Default How long have you been an SCS-er and how has your style changed?

You know... I look at some people's galleries and I think Man! They've only been stamping for 2 years and their cards are WAY better than mine... and then I look through my gallery and I see what a loooooooooong and slow road it was to get to where I am today.. And I'm not even happy with my card-making 100% of the time as it is! It's been almost 5.5 years of cardmaking, and I think I've learned a few things, but I can't be positive! lol... My style has changed a little, but I've always loved bright colours, patterned paper, and some kind of "pizzaz" on my design. But I used to make a lot more mistakes than I do now.. lol

I look at my beginnings and I see a lot of awkward paper choices, stuck-on embellishments that don't really "go", a lot of making do with inferior products and supplies (I was a student the first few years of my card-making journey had very little money for my hobby) and I am kinda proud of how far I've come.. I have never done anything crafty/artsy/hobby before and I had a very steep learning curve... But some things I've learned are:

(what not to do ^) If you're going to use embellishments, make sure they "fit" and are part of the design. Better:

Proper distressing techniques make or break your card:

^^^^ yah......no. That was straight onto paper from the ink pad.. i like to use an ink applicator now:

and there are a thousand other things I've learned since, but I think it's good to look back once in a while and see where you started...

Let's hear your story! How long have you been doing this? What have you learned? How has your style changed?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great idea for a thread! Here is one of the first cards I uploaded in early 2007:

Baby Shower Card, Avery by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

And here is one of the latest, Christmas this year:

Jingle Bells! by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

To be honest, I don't think my style has changed very much..I'm o-o-o-old and probably a little set in my ways, lol.

I still like whimsical images the best, but occasionally try other images. Like you, I love bright colors, pattern paper and some kind of "pizzaaz". I've tried clean and simple, or more subdued colors, but it's just not "me".

I've gotten some better tools which help tremendously with the look of my cards - a good paper trimmer, a Cuttlebug, embossing folders and lots of dies to cut with. I started out using templates to trace circles and ovals and handcutting them.

I've accumulated a lot of supplies, like paper, ribbons, bling. I don't have to dash off to Hobby Lobby or Michaels anymore to start or finish a card. I can just "shop in my store" which is the spare bedroom where I keep my stuff.

I've decided I really like clear stamps instead of rubber wood mounted, and mostly that's what I buy, with a few exceptions.

But the good news is - I still love making cards and coming to SCS. That hasn't changed at all!!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 01-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I hadn't done much at all craft wise before I started making cards and I vowed I would never, ever get into stamping
My first creations were Iris folding, tea bag folding and then I started quilling - I actually still like all these techniques just that I can now use them better!
My first quilled card:
How long have you been an SCS-er and how has your style changed?-quilled-card.jpg
Pretty unimaginative and the card looks flat and empty but I thought it was cute at the time!

How long have you been an SCS-er and how has your style changed?-swan-1.jpg

I improved somewhat with this one though although it still leaves much to be desired!

I then became more adventurous with papers and embellishments:

How long have you been an SCS-er and how has your style changed?-2nd-60th-birthday.jpg

And then I got into stamping!!

How long have you been an SCS-er and how has your style changed?-album_pic.jpg

I now find that I use papers, embellishments, glitter (had every colour of the rainbow) very rarely but stamp often!
A very interesting thread and it is good to look back once in a while.

Blog
Old 01-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Great topic!!!
This was one of my first cards and I can't believe there were some kind souls that actually commented on it! (they probably felt sorry for me...LOL!) The layers are....well...just awkward.
Love always by RubberLady603 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Love the look back at the cards!
I don't have a lot of cards in my gallery but this is one of my favorites
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=174940

Last edited by RubberLady603; 01-09-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I joined SCS two years ago this month and I had been stamping a few months before that.
I have not been at this long enough to have developed a style.
The only thing that has changed is I found Copics and am learning to color. Before that I never did any art work. I see shadows and highlights on objects that I never saw before learning to color. I guess I never really looked at things closely
Here is the first card I uploaded to my gallery. It is on the left

My last card is on the right
Attached Thumbnails
How long have you been an SCS-er and how has your style changed?-img_0011.jpg   How long have you been an SCS-er and how has your style changed?-img_0140.jpg  
Old 01-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusticusView Post
I hadn't done much at all craft wise before I started making cards and I vowed I would never, ever get into stamping
My first creations were Iris folding, tea bag folding and then I started quilling - I actually still like all these techniques just that I can now use them better!
My first quilled card:
Attachment 238460
Pretty unimaginative and the card looks flat and empty but I thought it was cute at the time!

Attachment 238462

I improved somewhat with this one though although it still leaves much to be desired!

I then became more adventurous with papers and embellishments:

Attachment 238461

And then I got into stamping!!

Attachment 238463

I now find that I use papers, embellishments, glitter (had every colour of the rainbow) very rarely but stamp often!
A very interesting thread and it is good to look back once in a while.
Your Quilled swan is very pretty. I did some Quilling years ago and that is one of the crafts on the chopping block for me. I don't have time to do all the crafts I like nor the space to store all the stuff for them. So Quilling and Ukranian Egg decorating stuff is going out.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I've been stamping for about 8 years and a member here for 5 1/2 years.
I've come a long way! I don't think I have any particular style. I like variety too much to stick with one style

My technique has greatly improved though and I have more cards now that I love than not.

Here are the very first and second cards I posted here:

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/584036?&cat=500&ppuser=85649

This one is over the top gaudy:

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/584591?&cat=500&ppuser=85649

this one is a little later in my timeline. It's one of the first challenges I ever did:

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/874674?&cat=500&ppuser=85649

One from June 2011. I really like this one

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1989383?&cat=500&ppuser=85649

And a more recent one:

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2073484?&cat=500&ppuser=85649

I still make my mistakes every now and then but I like the amount of progress I've made.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Interesting...I'll think about this one. I know my biggest change is I stamp and colour much, much more and use patterned papers less.
I just wanted to add, though, that there is so much more beautiful "stuff" - papers, embellishments, embossing folders, dies, bling - than there used to be. Look at any gallery way back and pretty much all the cards look...I don't know what word to use without it sounding unflattering . But I guess the fact that Beate is gradually working on updating the tutorials in Resources says it all . I also think that because of that, people starting off now are starting from a different point. There's a song DH sings called Pioneer (Nancy Honeytree), and one of the lines goes "What you have done others will do, bigger and better and faster than you" - but it's only because of the pioneers that it's easier for people coming along later. And we're all pioneers to our own personal frontiers - another line from the song.
My photography and editing skills have improved, too . Well, I only just had got a digital camera back when I started uploading and was still using the scanner a lot.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Sabrina, Interesting that you mentioned your first digital camera. I got one when I started making cards so I could upload them. The first time I used it was for my first card. I still have no idea how to edit so the pictures I upload are unedited.
Last Mother's Day my daughter gave me PhotoShop Elements which is still in the box Dealing with technology always rattles me . LOL
One of my goals this year is to learn to use Photo Shop Elements
Old 01-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Oh gosh, I've been here since the early days of SCS, and boy has my stamping style changed. LOL When I started, I didn't see the point of layers. Why waste all that cardstock? Just stamp something on the card base, maybe color in with markers, and call it done.

Fast forward to today... and boy are things different. LOL I have learned SO much over the years. I still like making clean and simple cards, but I will also branch out into making foo-foo cards when I feel like it. You name a product, and I've probably used it at one time or another. (Radiant Pearls, anyone?? LOL)

Old 01-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I've been card making/papercrafting for about 5-6 years. I had no style when I started and didn't find stamps until a year into it. Finding stamping opened up possibilities - design team card samples and blogs were such a great inspiration and helped me narrow my style into CAS but now and then I delve into those layered looks. I also bought way too much stuff in the beginning (*ahem* patterned paper by the pound!) that I liked but could not work with. Now I think about my purchases and their longevity (not big on trends). This is something I really love doing and am glad I found it!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifeladyView Post
I've been card making/papercrafting for about 5-6 years. I had no style when I started and didn't find stamps until a year into it. Finding stamping opened up possibilities - design team card samples and blogs were such a great inspiration and helped me narrow my style into CAS but now and then I delve into those layered looks. I also bought way too much stuff in the beginning (*ahem* patterned paper by the pound!) that I liked but could not work with. Now I think about my purchases and their longevity (not big on trends). This is something I really love doing and am glad I found it!
YES! That is something I did too! I got rid of a lot of my impulse purchases and poorly thought-out paper choices this summer and it was such a relief to have just the supplies I love and know I will use in my craft studio...
Old 01-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Wow my style has changed a bunch since my first upload in 2004.

My first upload and the card I uploaded today seem like they are from 2 different people!

Lot's of things have changed for me since 2004, too. I am no longer a SU demo but work on design teams and submit to magazines! I have also found my style and buy what I REALLY want not what is in "style". Creating is still super fun and a great stress reliever. As long as it stays that way, I will continue!!
Attached Thumbnails
How long have you been an SCS-er and how has your style changed?-4961ppinfullbloom.jpg   How long have you been an SCS-er and how has your style changed?-debseyer-jan9-card.jpg  
Old 01-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been with SCS since March of 2007. I started stamping back in 2003. My mom received a hand-made card from a friend and I fell in love. My husband bought me some foam stamps and Crystal stamp pads (remember those??) for my birthday that year. Then I took a class at Michaels and met a SU demonstrator. The rest is history.

My style has changed a lot over the years. I don't add too many pics to the gallery, but here are a couple of samples of mine:How long have you been an SCS-er and how has your style changed?-merci-card.jpgthe first pic is from 2004How long have you been an SCS-er and how has your style changed?-distressed-flower-card.jpgthe second is from 2005How long have you been an SCS-er and how has your style changed?-wedding-card.jpgand the last one is from Oct. 2011

Stacey
Old 01-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

First one: Wonderful Friend by uncbballfan - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Worst one: Birthday Smirthday! by uncbballfan - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Faves: Ode to Lateblossom by uncbballfan - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

merry Christmas by uncbballfan - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

You're the Friend Everyone Wishes She Had by uncbballfan - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I have definitely moved away from patterned paper. My style now is CAS, even more so since I started using Copics, because I don't want anything to take away from my focal point.

ETA: I joined SCS in 2007, but have been stamping since 1995.

Last edited by uncbballfan; 01-11-2012 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: Add'l info
Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I've been a member since 2005. And I've loved every min. of time. I've been here.

The very first card I made and shared here on SCS. I made with one hand and arm. (cause the other one was broken)

Yellow Garden

And this one was What was I thinking?
Hang in there and smile

I have two Favorites:

Boots, chaps and cowboys

&

Thanks for the Good times

I think my style has changed a little bit. I've gotten more into adding more layers, and using more tools to create with.