Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to get an even image?

I am a new stamper and I'm having a hard time getting an even image. One area will be dark and another light. Any suggestions on how to get a nice even impression on larger stamps? BTW it's not the inking I'm having problems with, just the pressing. I've been standing and using the palm of my hand to press firmly.

Also, any advice on using chalk inks? I've got the Colorbox and the VersaMagic. Versamagic seems to give a cleaner image than colorbox. Anyone else have the same experience?

Any tips/advice would be appreciated. TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScramperJView Post
I am a new stamper and I'm having a hard time getting an even image. One area will be dark and another light. Any suggestions on how to get a nice even impression on larger stamps? BTW it's not the inking I'm having problems with, just the pressing. I've been standing and using the palm of my hand to press firmly.

Also, any advice on using chalk inks? I've got the Colorbox and the VersaMagic. Versamagic seems to give a cleaner image than colorbox. Anyone else have the same experience?

Hello,
For larger stamps I lay them upside down and ink them evenly. When I am ready to stamp, I make sure I am stamping on a hard surface. When you place the stamp down on your paper, press and hold while pressing firmly all over the stamp. Try not to move the stamp at all!!!

If you need perfect placement I recommend getting the stamp-a-ma-jig, you will thank me!!!

Hope this helps but really you will only get better if you stamp and stamp some more!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Chalk inks will stay wet, they are great if you want to emboss. If you want you can use a heat gun after stamping and that will set the ink.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ScramperJ.....For any stamp and especially larger stamps, you have to press down on each area of the stamp to your paper. If you're only putting your hand down over the stamp, you may be missing the center of the stamp or one or more of the edges. Your hand is not perfectly flat to press against the stamp, so you have to carefully move your hand around to give even pressure on all areas. When inking your stamp, press evenly on the ink pad with the stamp or the pad to the stamp (which ever way you choose to do it).

I find that chalk inks don't give as crisp a stamped image as other inks. Also, if it's a detailed stamp, it will not show all detail as well. Also depends on the paper you're stamping on. (These are all based on my experiences and other people may differ.)

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 04:33 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I have found that brand new un-inked stamps seem to be harder to stamp with evenly. After a couple of images, the ink distribution is more even. I also tap the ink onto the unpside down stamp to get a better idea of what parts are inked and how much ink is there. And making sure to but pressure on each area of the stamp, as already suggested, makes all the difference.

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 04:38 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiggynineView Post
I have found that brand new un-inked stamps seem to be harder to stamp with evenly. After a couple of images, the ink distribution is more even. I also tap the ink onto the unpside down stamp to get a better idea of what parts are inked and how much ink is there. And making sure to but pressure on each area of the stamp, as already suggested, makes all the difference.

Linda
If it's a new stamp, there's a chemical that affects the way it holds ink. If you rub it with an eraser, it seems to take the chemical off. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 04:51 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I use scrap paper with my bone folder to get an evenly inked image with background stamps. Place inked stamp face up; cardstock that you want to stamp is next; then scrap paper. Rub evenly with bone folder. (I also brayer my background stamps to get even inking.) HTH

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I use a hard surface and a mousepad. Press evenly around the stamp, as someone mentioned and make sure that you don't "rock" your stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 05:25 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Default uneven stamping

Even though I have been stamping for many years, I will always stamp the image on scrap paper first to check it out,then reink and stamp the final image. This seems to help me get a well inked, even image. I also always flip the stamp over after inking to check the coverage of ink. I went to a stamp party recently and the demo urged us to press the stamp down for at least a few seconds to get a good transfer of ink. Even after all these years of stamping, I had never considered that. So now, when I stamp, I think about that ink making the leap from the stamp to the paper, and I think it helps!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

You can emboss chalk ink?
Mine always dries IMMEDIATELY.

Craft ink stays wet for embossing - and offers great coverage, but the drying time is hard to work with for me.

I mostly use dye inks... but I like chalk ink a lot, too.... especially for flowers.

I have a pad of scrap paper under my project as a surface for stamping.
I always ink up the stamp - tap tap tap tap... tap tap - then stamp onto scrap paper - if the image is clear, I ink again and stamp on paper.
If the image is not clear - I keep inking and stamping on scrap until it is... then ink again and stamp on the card.

Sounds like a lot of ink - but my images are always whole and clear.

Oh - and the Stamp-a-ma-jig is great, especially like to use it for sentiments, in case they aren't dark enough, or aren't clear - you can re-stamp in the exact spot using the SAMJ!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:14 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I brayer the ink on the stamp with a regular-sized brayer, going up & down and then sideways. I then place the stamp on the paper, flip it over carefully, put a piece of scrap paper over the cardstock, and then brayer over the scrap paper. I always have even placement of ink doing it this way. I have a small brayer that I use for for this purpose. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

For larger images it sometimes helps to have some "cushion" under your paper. I put a mouse pad down on the table, then my piece of cardstock, then when I stamp I make sure I stand up and press straight down. So far this works for me. Also, make sure you are stamping on a solid table (not on one of the thicker plastic ones...they have too much give). I have the thick plastic table in my stamping area (and that works fine for smaller stamps) but when I do larger stamps (aka my House Mouse stamps) I always get up and do the images over at the dining room table.

HTH.

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I had the same problem when I first started stamping. My craft desk was a pretty flea market find and I hadn't knowticed that the serface wasn't entirely flat! lol Now I stamp on a different table. So my advice would be to make sure that you have perfectly flat surface to stamp on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you so much ladies for all your advice. I had already discovered that the "Lifetime" white plastic folding tables from Sam's club were not stiff or solid enough for stamping, so I use that table now for my scrapbooking. I bought a great solid table to stamp on and I turn my stamps over and pat the ink on the stamp until it is well covered. Then I stand and press firmly on all parts of the stamp, but I've been having problems accidentally rocking it. I guess that part will just have to come through practice. Even if I manage not to rock it, parts of my sentiment were coming out too light. I had read previously that someone used an old phone book to stamp on, so I tried using that as a cushion underneath my paper and the image came out clear that time. It's weird because I had no problem stamping the exact same image in brown chalk ink last week, but in the purple color I was using yesterday it just wouldn't come out right. I think I tried stamping it like a dozen times before I finally got one that was acceptable. I guess I just need to keep stamping! Thanks again.

Jessica
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Received 76 Likes on 22 Posts

When using a larger stamp, I put the stamp on the table with the rubber side up. Then I rub the ink pad on it. Then I place the card paper on top of the stamp, cover it with a larger piece of scrap paper and rub evenly all over the stamp. This gives me a perfect image every time and doesn't get ink all over your hand!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Pat Huntoon has a great article on conditioning stamps on her blog today:
http://patstamps.blogspot.com/2008/0...ay-whimsy.html

It's worth the trek to check it out. Great information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Here's what I do & I find it works really well...I place the big stamp (ie. Background stamp) down on the table, rubber-side up. I then ink the image evenly. I place the CS on the stamp. Place a scrap piece of paper over the CS (just incase your CS is smaller then your stamp, you won't get ink on your CS). I then take a brayer & roll it over the paper evenly, making sure my CS does not slide around as I am doing this. The brayer is really what helps me achieve an even image every time! Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

You may also want to think about what kind of cardstock are you using. It does make a BIG difference when trying to get a nicely stamped image.

Stampin' Up's whisper white takes ink really well and I've heard that Papertrey's is good too. I have cardstock from Wal-mart that also does a decent job.

Good luck!
Hillary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I use a piece of fun foam to protect my desk and give me a little cushion to stamp on. The fun foam is really inexpensive (less than $1) and it helps me get a clean crisp image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I recently had a customer who could not get a complete image using her new Floral background stamp. I showed her the method of inking the stamp, laying it down rubber up and placing the cardstock on top, scratch paper on top of cardstock as has been described here and magically she got a good impression every time. It works! It's how I stamp with any large stamp.
(stamping, that is)

Last edited by Stoplightstamper; 02-20-2008 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

With large detail stamps (nature scenes from Northwoods or large bg stamps) I do the ink-side up/lay paper over method OR I put the stamp on paper the usual way but on a smooth hard surface and stand on it. Works every time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Wink How to get an even image

Once when stamping at a Regional with a brand-new set, I was not getting a good impression no matter what I did. I asked one of the make'n'take helpers -- I honestly thought something was wrong with the stamps. She explained about the coating on brand-new stamps (mentioned above) but she suggested using our sanding block to "rough it up a little". Of course, I didn't happen to have a sanding block with me at the time! So she suggested just rubbing it across the jeans I was wearing, and that did the trick!

Christine Rebbert
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Location: Under the Hackberry Tree, Deep In The Heart Of Texas

With background stamps I do the ink side up, cardstock on inked stamp, layer of scrap paper and bone folder or brayer trick.

I always use a placemat size sheet of craft foam under my sheet of grid paper to even out my stamped images. Since I started using the craft foam I have not had any issues with sore wrists/thumbs from having to press down hard to get good contact with the paper.

Just remember to move it out of the way when you are punching holes and setting eyelets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #24  
Glitter Queen

I've used all the above methods and they all work but my favorite method of stamping a large background stamp I learned at a stamping convention.

On a hard surface ink the stamp rubber side up, taking the ink pad to the stamp.
Now the trick I learned was when you turn the stamp over onto the CS press down on the wood using another piece of wood, either the same size or slightly larger. It gives you a even stamped image but before you lift up the stamp let it sit on the CS for at least a minute to give the ink a chance to sink into the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccreativeView Post
Pat Huntoon has a great article on conditioning stamps on her blog today:
http://patstamps.blogspot.com/2008/0...ay-whimsy.html

It's worth the trek to check it out. Great information!
Thanks, Kathleen, that is a great tutorial! I've sanded and erased, but never tried the Staz-on cleaner. That really should be in the little booklets SU demos put in each order. I ruined many images before someone finally told me about erasers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I tried these tricks and I stamped on my new SU! Whisper White that just came in, and I have to say, it made a HUGE difference! Stamping with the same stamp on my white Walmart paper did not give me as good of an image, so I don't think you can underestimate the importance of the paper you're stamping on. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #27  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibilance7View Post
I tried these tricks and I stamped on my new SU! Whisper White that just came in, and I have to say, it made a HUGE difference! Stamping with the same stamp on my white Walmart paper did not give me as good of an image, so I don't think you can underestimate the importance of the paper you're stamping on. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
I know you'll find the same thing is true for the ink too! SUs classic ink just stamps better than other dye based ink. That's why most of us here use it!
So... it may not be user error at all, just the quality of your supplies. ;);)

I don't know if this was mentioned before, but another little trick for a smaller solid image that you don't want to turn over... remember to rub the stamp around to get it "wet" on the surface of your pad (check it to make sure it's all covered) then lightly "TAP, TAP, TAP". This tapping motion brings up the "nap" of your ink and keeps it from showing any lines from the pad.

Then use firm even pressure onto your paper, trying not to rock it. Lift straight up... and voila... beautiful image!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I've been using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge to condition my new stamps - it works like a dream!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

okay, HOW do you do this? I'm at a total loss.

How do you sit an inked stamp face down on CS - say an 8x11.5" piece, then pick both up and flip it, and sit it back down with the CS on top, and THEN place scrap paper on top of that , and rub it with a bone folder?

I would have smudged, wiggled, and moved, and rocked the image to death by then!

I'm missing something here!

Thanks for your help!

Amy C in TN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 03:19 AM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by aj37167View Post
okay, HOW do you do this? I'm at a total loss.

How do you sit an inked stamp face down on CS - say an 8x11.5" piece, then pick both up and flip it, and sit it back down with the CS on top, and THEN place scrap paper on top of that , and rub it with a bone folder?

I would have smudged, wiggled, and moved, and rocked the image to death by then!

I'm missing something here!

Thanks for your help!

Amy C in TN
You don't put the stamp rubber-side down on the cs. You put the stamp rubber-side UP on your desk, ink it up by turning the pad upside down, then place the paper on top of the inked stamp, cover with a scrap sheet, and rub with bone folder. There's no flipping the stamp and paper at all. It works like a charm!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

With larger stamps (once they are inked by whatever method you choose) I press them onto the cardstock firmly then, holding it in place (near the centre of the stamp) with the fingers of one hand, I walk all over the stamp with fingers of other hand. This makes sure that pressure is applied evenly over the entire surface of the stamp and works well for me.

I love chalk inks - that soft, muted, slightly aged effect. I have mostly Colorbox and find differences between different colours - I think some pigments just work differently. (That's a lot of differences :o )

In addition to stamping images, I use the chalk inks with a stencil brush or a sponge for applying soft swirls of colour to the image and background.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Gandhi
My (poor, neglected) Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #32  
Crimping Master

Are ya'll saying do it backward? Ink stamp. Place stamp with image inked UP. Then place paper on the inked stamp? Wow, that is backwards from my normal train of thought. I will have to try that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

I have trouble with a stamped image showing the horizontal and vertical fabric weave of the ink pad. This even happens on new pads. Do I just need to ink them up more with a reinker?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #34  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
I have trouble with a stamped image showing the horizontal and vertical fabric weave of the ink pad. This even happens on new pads. Do I just need to ink them up more with a reinker?

The light tapping into the ink several times as mentioned in my "post 27" should elliminate that problem.

I only ink face up on larger images (over 3", like a background) and with a piece of cs cut close to size (not an 8 1/2 x 11). For the smaller ones I use the method I described above AND really good paper like Stampin Up or Papertrey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 03:51 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

What do you do for the clear acrylic stamps that don't leave a continual outline line or total coverage of ink?
Reply With Quote Likes